Lisa Wong: 13 to Watch in Central Mass in 2013

Dec 31, 2012 Full story: Go Local 26

When Lisa Wong was first elected Mayor of Fitchburg back in November of 2007, she was the first minority mayor in the city's history and the first female Asian American mayor in Massachusetts at just 28 years of age.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Albert LeDasco

Concord, MA

#1 Jan 1, 2013
If Wong had any genuine talent and ability, it is more than surprising Deval Patrick failed to consider Wong for any of the 4 vacancies in the recent reshuffling of his Cabinet. Her name was never mentioned and she was simply not considered because she is seen as a lightweight.

Sadly, Wong has no place to go. Every elective office is spoken for. Wong will end up at some dead end position at one of those phony "municipal research" groups.
huh

Leominster, MA

#5 Jan 1, 2013
Albert LeDasco wrote:
If Wong had any genuine talent and ability, it is more than surprising Deval Patrick failed to consider Wong for any of the 4 vacancies in the recent reshuffling of his Cabinet. Her name was never mentioned and she was simply not considered because she is seen as a lightweight.
Sadly, Wong has no place to go. Every elective office is spoken for. Wong will end up at some dead end position at one of those phony "municipal research" groups.
And you have no idea the positions she has turned down in the last 4 years. Some of us do.
Lewis chamberlain

Gardner, MA

#6 Jan 1, 2013
LisaWong is not ony agreat Mayor but she has done wonders for the City of fitchburg a true leader has to make hard decisions and turning off the street lights was 1 of them Lisa wong is the most down to earth and people person you will ever meet . Unlike other people in her position she will stop and take the time to listen . If Lisa Wong ever trys for a higher position she will do amazing things for this state
Not Jtn

Allston, MA

#7 Jan 2, 2013
When someone gets killed walking the road the lights out,the city will be sued so much it will go bankrupt. The light bulb is off with Wong. She did turn down many dog officer jobs I heard,one in china town? Is this really true? My buddy JTN told me.
not jtn

Allston, MA

#8 Jan 2, 2013
Breaking new,lisa is running again. Yea can,t wait,,, lets party
Cuckoos Nest

Gardner, MA

#9 Jan 2, 2013
Not Jtn wrote:
When someone gets killed walking the road the lights out,the city will be sued so much it will go bankrupt. The light bulb is off with Wong. She did turn down many dog officer jobs I heard,one in china town? Is this really true? My buddy JTN told me.
Sorry the city cannot be sued, only an employee can be sued personally. If a police cruiser or fire truck runs a red light and strikes a vehicle, the operator of the cruiser or fire truck will be sued personally. The city is not liable.

This is called Sovereign immunity and protects the city from going bankrupt from a lawsuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immuni...

The city cannot be sued if a pedestrain trips and falls on a sidewalk even if it needed to be repaired. Only the person who was suppose to repair the sidewalk can be sued personally.
Sandy Beech

Concord, MA

#10 Jan 2, 2013
"Cuckoos Nest" must be a recent graduate of the Fitchburg school system since Wong became mayor as this dolt fails to comprehend the written word.

Click on the link you provided...half way down the page you will find:

"Local governmental immunity:

Counties and municipalities are not entitled to sovereign immunity."
not jtn

Jamaica Plain, MA

#11 Jan 2, 2013
Sandy Beech wrote:
"Cuckoos Nest" must be a recent graduate of the Fitchburg school system since Wong became mayor as this dolt fails to comprehend the written word.
Click on the link you provided...half way down the page you will find:
"Local governmental immunity:
Counties and municipalities are not entitled to sovereign immunity."thanks for putting the know it all in her place,its probabey lisa in dragg,arragant squared
thaks for putting draggueen lisa in her place,lisais reallycuckoos nest
Say what

Leominster, MA

#12 Jan 2, 2013
not jtn wrote:
<quoted text>thaks for putting draggueen lisa in her place,lisais reallycuckoos nest
Ok we have another tard. The short bus just keeps getting longer everyday.
Just Facts

Southborough, MA

#13 Jan 4, 2013
It is my understanding that there is a limitation of $ 100,000 of liability that a city can face in a lawsuit...will try to find it somewhere.

On another note, Mayor Wong has overall done a good job (my opinion) for Fitchburg. many of the decisions she had to make are unpopular and were tough decisions. It is never an easy decision to cut out a program or "take away" anything perceived by citizens to be something of value, but Fitchburg was bleeding badly financially, and she stopped the bleeding.

We will continue to recover very slowly, but we will eventually recover. I expect her most difficult challenge is to work at making Fitchburg more attractive to businesses, and much of that is out of her hands...it is difficult to overcome the ridiculous rates charged by Unitil and their rates are approved at the state level, not locally.

As property values increase, our tax rates will slowly go back down and we will eventually see improvement. The street lights will come back on as she succeeds in having the city take ownership and replace the antiquated and costly HID lighting with LED lighting, which will dramatically reduce the costs of electricity for these lights.
Wickedguy

Gardner, MA

#14 Jan 4, 2013
There is a $100K limit on any lawsuit that the city will pay out. But, this has never happened.

1.) It will cost time and money to sue the city.

2.) The city has never been held liable. You would have to prove they are negligent. For example:

If a manhole cover was missing and a person fell down the hole you would have to prove the city already knew about the hazard, if they did not know about it then they cannot be held liable.

If the city did know about it then the EMPLOYEE who was notified of the situation and is in charge of replacing it will get sued, not the city. It would also have be proven that the city was aware of the situation and was doing nothing about it. Even then there is always one person that knew about it and they will be the one to be sued.

3.) There will always be an employee that will be the one that will get sued in a negligent case because the city as an ENTITY has NEVER instructed any employee to be negligent.

As for other situations as street lights, it has to be proven that the city broke a law by shutting them off. There is no law that states the city has to have street lights.

So sorry folks, the city is never responsible for their employees actions because they never INSTRUCTED that employee to be negligent. It just doesn't work that way. There will always an employee that the negligent situation falls on.

Sueing an employee will not get you anything, maybe their mortgage and car loans. A person's paycheck can never be detached either. Only the IRS is able to do that.
huh

Leominster, MA

#15 Jan 4, 2013
Wickedguy wrote:
There is a $100K limit on any lawsuit that the city will pay out. But, this has never happened.
1.) It will cost time and money to sue the city.
2.) The city has never been held liable. You would have to prove they are negligent. For example:
If a manhole cover was missing and a person fell down the hole you would have to prove the city already knew about the hazard, if they did not know about it then they cannot be held liable.
If the city did know about it then the EMPLOYEE who was notified of the situation and is in charge of replacing it will get sued, not the city. It would also have be proven that the city was aware of the situation and was doing nothing about it. Even then there is always one person that knew about it and they will be the one to be sued.
3.) There will always be an employee that will be the one that will get sued in a negligent case because the city as an ENTITY has NEVER instructed any employee to be negligent.
As for other situations as street lights, it has to be proven that the city broke a law by shutting them off. There is no law that states the city has to have street lights.
So sorry folks, the city is never responsible for their employees actions because they never INSTRUCTED that employee to be negligent. It just doesn't work that way. There will always an employee that the negligent situation falls on.
Sueing an employee will not get you anything, maybe their mortgage and car loans. A person's paycheck can never be detached either. Only the IRS is able to do that.
Now, if only Mr. Lynch understood this...
You Know Who

Marlborough, MA

#16 Jan 4, 2013
Wickedguy wrote:
There is a $100K limit on any lawsuit that the city will pay out. But, this has never happened.
1.) It will cost time and money to sue the city.
2.) The city has never been held liable. You would have to prove they are negligent. For example:
If a manhole cover was missing and a person fell down the hole you would have to prove the city already knew about the hazard, if they did not know about it then they cannot be held liable.
If the city did know about it then the EMPLOYEE who was notified of the situation and is in charge of replacing it will get sued, not the city. It would also have be proven that the city was aware of the situation and was doing nothing about it. Even then there is always one person that knew about it and they will be the one to be sued.
3.) There will always be an employee that will be the one that will get sued in a negligent case because the city as an ENTITY has NEVER instructed any employee to be negligent.
As for other situations as street lights, it has to be proven that the city broke a law by shutting them off. There is no law that states the city has to have street lights.
So sorry folks, the city is never responsible for their employees actions because they never INSTRUCTED that employee to be negligent. It just doesn't work that way. There will always an employee that the negligent situation falls on.
Sueing an employee will not get you anything, maybe their mortgage and car loans. A person's paycheck can never be detached either. Only the IRS is able to do that.
OK, OK....I am following the thought process here....but, how do things work when it comes to cops f-ing up; or being neglegent. I thought that a few Posters in the past here on F-burg Topix Forum have stated that an individual lawman cannot be sued. If that is really the case, and no one can sue a lawman (or a law woman) no matter how huch they f up; plus they cannot sue the City either; just WHO IS responsible? The Police Department themselves?

Please set me straight on this......Not that I am about to sue any blueboys.....
Wickedguy

Gardner, MA

#17 Jan 4, 2013
You Know Who wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, OK....I am following the thought process here....but, how do things work when it comes to cops f-ing up; or being neglegent. I thought that a few Posters in the past here on F-burg Topix Forum have stated that an individual lawman cannot be sued. If that is really the case, and no one can sue a lawman (or a law woman) no matter how huch they f up; plus they cannot sue the City either; just WHO IS responsible? The Police Department themselves?
Please set me straight on this......Not that I am about to sue any blueboys.....
The city cannot be sued and the cop cannot be sued unless a judge does NOT grant them immunity which rarely happens. The cop may see disclipinary action or even forced to resign. If cops were able to be sued then obviously no one would want to be a cop.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_police_office...

The police department gets sued routinely for handcuffs being too tight. The scumballs in Fitchburg are always trying to get money somehow.
You Know Who

Marlborough, MA

#18 Jan 4, 2013
Wickedguy wrote:
<quoted text>
The city cannot be sued and the cop cannot be sued unless a judge does NOT grant them immunity which rarely happens. The cop may see disclipinary action or even forced to resign. If cops were able to be sued then obviously no one would want to be a cop.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_police_office...
The police department gets sued routinely for handcuffs being too tight. The scumballs in Fitchburg are always trying to get money somehow.
OK, thanks for the info Wickedguy...it plays out just like I figured it did: If a cop F's up bad enough and common sense says he SHOULD BE SUED; chances are extremely high that he won't be able to be sued. Worse case, he may have to quietly turn in his mighty badge; as the Taxpaying Public is kept 100% in the dark; and then he can merrily become a lawman in a new town or city elsewhere. It's quite the golden parachute; alright....
Stoner

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Jan 4, 2013
any body got any weed?
Say Huh

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Jan 5, 2013
Say what wrote:
<quoted text>Ok we have another tard. The short bus just keeps getting longer everyday.
That's an understatement! But the truth be known, this tard is a professor at FSC.
huh

Leominster, MA

#21 Jan 5, 2013
Say Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an understatement! But the truth be known, this tard is a professor at FSC.
Who, Noonan?
Say Huh

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Jan 5, 2013
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Who, Noonan?
You got it.
huh

Leominster, MA

#23 Jan 5, 2013
Say Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it.
Is he really that illiterate or is it a put-on?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fake charges against Lynch were DISMISSED 24 min Jeff 48
lynch for mayor 2014 (Apr '12) 57 min BillyBob 341
'Aging Minorities' photos on display in Fitchbu... Wed BillyBob 2
Where is Kevin Lynch? Wed kev lynch 13
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) Wed kev lynch 134
Fitchburg State University names new president Dec 16 Tammy 1
What ever happened to Rodgers Bros. pickled meat? (Feb '12) Dec 14 Tammy 23

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:21 am PST