Pension costs loom large - Sentinel &...

Pension costs loom large - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 32 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Apr 5, 2009, titled Pension costs loom large - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Pensions for municipal and state employees cost cities and towns millions of dollars each year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Same old Story

West Tisbury, MA

#1 Apr 5, 2009
Senator Flanagan voted NO to change the pension rules to prevent state employees from taking a pension at age 55.
She also voted NO to cap pensions at $96,0000,and to prevent fired state employees from getting a pension.
Once again, she is following the rules of "the good old boy network". Oh, Senator Flanagan is a member of several committee's, which adds $15,000 to her base salary.
Leominsterite

Leominster, MA

#2 Apr 5, 2009
I agree with most of the changes to combat pension abuse, but agree with Sen Flanagan that overall the system is a sound one.

I suspect most of the objection comes from those that don't have a pension plan!

Since: Mar 08

West Tisbury, MA

#3 Apr 5, 2009
I disagree, when Ex Senate President Billy Bulger has had his pension increased to $196,000 per year. And Mr. Simon, who is on Deval's Staff, was fired from his job a few years ago, yet was able to file for and get a pension.

I had a neighbor who worked for the Department of Corrections and went out at age 47, with a disability pension. Yet, he runs a home improvement business doing carpentry and other work, and doesn't look disabled.
Ben

AOL

#4 Apr 5, 2009
Ken Burgess wrote:
I disagree, when Ex Senate President Billy Bulger has had his pension increased to $196,000 per year. And Mr. Simon, who is on Deval's Staff, was fired from his job a few years ago, yet was able to file for and get a pension.
I had a neighbor who worked for the Department of Corrections and went out at age 47, with a disability pension. Yet, he runs a home improvement business doing carpentry and other work, and doesn't look disabled.
who the hell are you to say "someone doesnt look disabled?"
can cathy

Belmont, MA

#5 Apr 5, 2009
how much is lisa's pension-yu gurl
Hank

Leominster, MA

#6 Apr 5, 2009
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
If he can go out and work another job, that would be fraud and against the law.
Boz the Bear

Windham, ME

#7 Apr 5, 2009
To get health insurance until medicare and a pension indexed against inflation and to begin your retirement trek at 55, you'd have to have 3 million
in your private sector 401K. Most of us in the private sector do not. Maybe that's because we're paying for public sector people who can retire 15 years before we do and earn more than we do doing nothing. Makes me want to support the current system!!!!!!!!!
AJ P

Harvard, MA

#8 Apr 5, 2009
Is this is the system that allows a six term city councilor with one term on the school committee and three terms as mayor to walk away with a nice little monthly kiss in the mail?

Since: Mar 08

West Tisbury, MA

#9 Apr 5, 2009
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
His disability was a bad back and neck problems preventing him from doing any hard labor. Whatever, he moved to Florida a few months ago, and started a construction company...
Sick of cry babies

Townsend, MA

#10 Apr 5, 2009
Instead of b^&%$# and whining about pensions go sign up for a civil service exam and get a state or local job that offers a pension. Come work at the prison and work weekends and holidays and see if you last 20 years to get your pension. All you people that work easy office jobs with weekends off have no right to complain. Go to Mass.gov and sign up...Good luck and stop your CRYING!!!
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Apr 5, 2009
There are many on disability pensions, and start new businesses and careers under the disguise of not being able to work

Our system allows this abuse, and why would people not take advantage of it, there is no follow up, and doctors are in on the take as well.

“forever learning”

Since: Mar 09

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Apr 5, 2009
Anyone else going to apply for a state or municipal job just for the benefits? You better believe I'm sending my resume right now.:-)
dan leominster

Leominster, MA

#13 Apr 5, 2009
What would anyone expect that voted for Flanagan? She has never worked a regular job and can barley speak English. She has no intrest in anyone other than herself. Anyone who voted for her gets what they deserve. I feel bad for the rest of us!
You are a RAT Ken

Townsend, MA

#14 Apr 5, 2009
Well Ken, why don't you tell us exactly what the disability is, and then tell us what your credentials are in the field of medicine. Is it your professional opinion that your neighbor isn't disabled?
Blame Liberals

Townsend, MA

#15 Apr 5, 2009
If the state really wants to save money let's get rid of illegal immigrants and stop giving money to s k a n k s that have 8 kids before they turn 20. We could also cut back on welfare and Section 8 housing. Why should people that actually work be punished. As long as liberals like Obama are running things we are in serious trouble!!!!
Not True

Townsend, MA

#16 Apr 5, 2009
That's not true. If someone blew out their knee and it's determined that they can't perform the job as a corrections officer, then they are given a disability retirement. That person can still go out and do other jobs and it is NOT illegal. And this fun fact should really infuriate all of you jealous people. If an officer receives a disability retirement, they can receive 72% instead of just 50%. Let the complaining begin.
Not True

Townsend, MA

#17 Apr 5, 2009
Boz the Bear wrote:
To get health insurance until medicare and a pension indexed against inflation and to begin your retirement trek at 55, you'd have to have 3 million
in your private sector 401K. Most of us in the private sector do not. Maybe that's because we're paying for public sector people who can retire 15 years before we do and earn more than we do doing nothing. Makes me want to support the current system!!!!!!!!!
Correction officers fund their own retirement, so what other bogus information would you like to post.
Awww Ken is Jealous

Townsend, MA

#18 Apr 5, 2009
Ken Burgess wrote:
<quoted text>
His disability was a bad back and neck problems preventing him from doing any hard labor. Whatever, he moved to Florida a few months ago, and started a construction company...
Yeah, so?
Huh

Townsend, MA

#19 Apr 5, 2009
Blame Liberals wrote:
If the state really wants to save money let's get rid of illegal immigrants and stop giving money to s k a n k s that have 8 kids before they turn 20. We could also cut back on welfare and Section 8 housing. Why should people that actually work be punished. As long as liberals like Obama are running things we are in serious trouble!!!!
Oh yeah...we were doing so great with George W. Bush leading us. How deep in debt were we when Bush started compared to now?
Blame Liberals

Townsend, MA

#20 Apr 5, 2009
Obama has already doubled or debt... IN 4 MONTHS. It was the Clinton administration that got us into this mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg Mayor DiNatale may have met his match... 7 hr Roger Rabbit 16
News Fitchburg patrols send message: Downtown's safe 13 hr Carol 16
Just Another Tuesday 15 hr Janet 24
News Fitchburg police: Level 3 sex offender charged ... Tue Louie 3
News Woman's husband likes to wear pantyhose - Senti... (Jul '08) Tue Louie 78
News Single-lane opponents to make their case Tue Dead end 15
News Wong to DeLeo: City will take slots - Sentinel ... (Jul '10) Jul 25 Fed Up Taxpayer 8

Fitchburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fitchburg Mortgages