Officials: Poverty links smoking, pregnancy in Montachusett area

Feb 3, 2014 Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise 53

Local health officials believe poverty may be the root cause for why 13.2 percent of women in the Montachusett area smoked cigarettes while pregnant, almost twice the state average of 6.7 percent.

Full Story
WATCHER

Leominster, MA

#21 Feb 4, 2014
hey if you can afford to by cigarettes by all means smoke them, but if you are on welfare and we are paying your bills you should be buying things like food and paying your bills like the money is for, keeping the kids warm and in school . not buying beer and wine cigs and dope, you don't have to be poor!! I think if you tried a little harder you could do better in life. what you need to do is stop blaming people who have money for your problems. most of the people i know were not born with money they worked for it. they stared out poor. but thought they could do better and worked a little harder .they did not sit on there ass's and wait for someone to hand them a life they made one for them self's there are jobs out there and you need to start some where if the pay is week to start it will get better with time and the more you learn so wake the f&^k up and try to do some thing with you life and stop blaming those who have! i make good money but i don't buy cigarettes they cost to much and take control of your life, i am in control of my life and i like it that way so wake up take control and do some good for yourself just try a little harder each day
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Feb 4, 2014
WATCHER wrote:
.they did not sit on there ass's and wait for someone to hand them a life they made one for them self's there are jobs out there and you need to start some where if the pay is week to start it will get better with time and the more you learn so wake the f&^k up and try to do some thing with you life and stop blaming those who have! i make good money but i don't buy cigarettes they cost to much and take control of your life, i am in control of my life and i like it that way so wake up take control and do some good for yourself just try a little harder each day
I live within my means as many do. There has been a recession that has lasted over a ten year period. Some people were not affected by the recession but many have been negatively affected.

Having an open mind is to put yourself in others shoes who have been affected. Good for you as you had the opportunity to work. Many people who use to kill themselves at jobs that paid $9 an hr have been out of work for years. Corporate America decided to triple and quadruple their wealth while the bush tax cuts for the wealthy were in place.

People on social service assistance do not vacation, they do not go out to eat, they do not go to the movies, no skiing, no cars, no vacations, no savings for later on in life. The economy hit some people with a crushing blow.

People want to work, they want the opportunity to work OT. The constant false labeling out here is just plain wrong. Yes, there are some who have abused the system and have done so before we were all born.

Yes, the system has created a form of dependency as their are no transition programs. Cutting education out of our prisons was self defeating. This is when the downward spiral began. Then the patriot act was passed. It has been one thing after another.

I began to work when I was a young kid. I had three paper routes in Boston, I sold papers on the corner in downtown Boston. When I was old enough my parents signed my working papers as I packed groceries at the super market. I worked my entire life. I was a bull as I worked very hard. Before I went to jail I had my own business. During jail I worked 8 hrs a day from carpentry, meat plants and road work in Bostons dpw. Upon leaving jail I worked, I had my own business.

Both my brothers always worked since they were 16 and are still working. My parents both worked.

Then I had open heart surgery. Since then other ailments. I continued to work. There has been a lull in work. I went back to college. I have been since attempting to change my occupation.

I live in the real world, I see others struggling. There are no jobs. This is a reality. Maybe not for you but it is for others. Government spending has been able to keep our economy from failing 100%. It has kept the cost down for working people in hopes of the economy to pick up.

It is unfortunate that American corporation after corporation has moved to other countries in order to double their profits. This isn't capitalism, this isn't the American way. Then these same people complain about those that they cut out of jobs.

A common remark from carpenters that I know is "Kevin I was earning $20 an hr and now in my mid 40s they want me to accept $9 an hr." An open mind would put you in his shoes. Would you be able to survive?

Now others will say just change your occupation. Not so easy. And when it is successful then these people go for your jobs for half the pay, this is when you will finally feel their struggles for the past ten plus years.
Word up

Leominster, MA

#24 Feb 4, 2014
Lynch wrote:
It is comical listening to some of these self righteous people out here. Many people with money are lazy, many people with jobs are lazy.
This theory that the wealthy deserve their wealth is a work of Disney. Some people are born into opportunity and wealth.
What is the difference between a 40 yr old who doesn't work not one hr a week but collects massive dividends in the area of say $100,000 and that of a 40 yr old who works 50 hrs a week at a plastic factory bringing home after taxes $300 a week?
There are many people who have city and state jobs making $50-$75,000 and do not work even 10 hrs a week of labor ! Are these people exempt from your "laziness" label?
Only creepy pedophiles have 'Disney' on their minds. Why don't you go scouting out some more kids tree forts you sicko and maybe you will find a young boy you can kidnap.
Word up

Leominster, MA

#25 Feb 4, 2014
Lynch wrote:
<quoted text>
I live within my means as many do. There has been a recession that has lasted over a ten year period. Some people were not affected by the recession but many have been negatively affected.
Having an open mind is to put yourself in others shoes who have been affected. Good for you as you had the opportunity to work. Many people who use to kill themselves at jobs that paid $9 an hr have been out of work for years. Corporate America decided to triple and quadruple their wealth while the bush tax cuts for the wealthy were in place.
People on social service assistance do not vacation, they do not go out to eat, they do not go to the movies, no skiing, no cars, no vacations, no savings for later on in life. The economy hit some people with a crushing blow.
People want to work, they want the opportunity to work OT. The constant false labeling out here is just plain wrong. Yes, there are some who have abused the system and have done so before we were all born.
Yes, the system has created a form of dependency as their are no transition programs. Cutting education out of our prisons was self defeating. This is when the downward spiral began. Then the patriot act was passed. It has been one thing after another.
I began to work when I was a young kid. I had three paper routes in Boston, I sold papers on the corner in downtown Boston. When I was old enough my parents signed my working papers as I packed groceries at the super market. I worked my entire life. I was a bull as I worked very hard. Before I went to jail I had my own business. During jail I worked 8 hrs a day from carpentry, meat plants and road work in Bostons dpw. Upon leaving jail I worked, I had my own business.
Both my brothers always worked since they were 16 and are still working. My parents both worked.
Then I had open heart surgery. Since then other ailments. I continued to work. There has been a lull in work. I went back to college. I have been since attempting to change my occupation.
I live in the real world, I see others struggling. There are no jobs. This is a reality. Maybe not for you but it is for others. Government spending has been able to keep our economy from failing 100%. It has kept the cost down for working people in hopes of the economy to pick up.
It is unfortunate that American corporation after corporation has moved to other countries in order to double their profits. This isn't capitalism, this isn't the American way. Then these same people complain about those that they cut out of jobs.
A common remark from carpenters that I know is "Kevin I was earning $20 an hr and now in my mid 40s they want me to accept $9 an hr." An open mind would put you in his shoes. Would you be able to survive?
Now others will say just change your occupation. Not so easy. And when it is successful then these people go for your jobs for half the pay, this is when you will finally feel their struggles for the past ten plus years.
Hey genius how many years were you a paperboy before you realized there isn't much of a future with this? Would you sit back and day dream that one day you would be the worlds greatest paperboy and ride a magic bicycle around the world delivering yesterdays paper to the homeless?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#26 Feb 4, 2014
Lynch wrote:
It is comical listening to some of these self righteous people out here. Many people with money are lazy, many people with jobs are lazy.
This theory that the wealthy deserve their wealth is a work of Disney. Some people are born into opportunity and wealth.
What is the difference between a 40 yr old who doesn't work not one hr a week but collects massive dividends in the area of say $100,000 and that of a 40 yr old who works 50 hrs a week at a plastic factory bringing home after taxes $300 a week?
There are many people who have city and state jobs making $50-$75,000 and do not work even 10 hrs a week of labor ! Are these people exempt from your "laziness" label?
Well, it appears that the 40 yr old making $100K invested wisely, while the 40-yr old who works 50 hrs and brings home $300/wk didn't acquire any valuable skills to bring to the workplace.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#27 Feb 4, 2014
Yep! It's all Bush's fault...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/...
Obamacare will push the equivalent of about 2 million workers out of the labor market by 2017 as employees decide either to work fewer hours or drop out altogether, according to the latest estimates Tuesday from the Congressional Budget Office.

That’s a major jump in the nonpartisan budget agency’s projections and it suggests the health care law’s incentives are driving businesses and people to choose government-sponsored benefits rather than work.
Jtn

Concord, MA

#28 Feb 4, 2014
Does smoking crack and having an abortion count?
Lynch Lunacy

United States

#29 Feb 4, 2014
Lynch's view of economics is crazy. According to him, anyone who has worked hard, whether it's the president of Ford, who turned the company around without governent money, or the guy who started a plumbing business, can't possibly have worked as hard as Lynch diid on his paper route or in the prison carpentry shop. Ergo, they don't deserve anything and should give all their money to losers who fĄŁked up their lives, went to prison, have a record a mile long and are on the dole. Lynch is convinced that the good old boys are somehow responsible for his having to ride the bus everywhere and live in his mother's basement.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#30 Feb 4, 2014
Lynch wrote:
<quoted text>
There are fewer jobs available in a down market.

Fewer still for convicted felons. You received OJT from the good people of the Commonwealth of Mass. while you were in jail, it appears.

I haven't even seen the inside of a jail cell. Ever-and I'm nearly 50 years old. I knew that were I convicted of a crime, it would hinder my career aspirations.

What did Corporate America and/or Bush do to cause your jail sentence, out of curiosity?
dumb it down 4 Dan

Winnipeg, Canada

#31 Feb 4, 2014
Turd up wrote:
<quoted text>Hey genius how many years were you a paperboy before you realized there isn't much of a future with this? Would you sit back and day dream that one day you would be the worlds greatest paperboy and ride a magic bicycle around the world delivering yesterdays paper to the homeless?
Translation: plop plop...wizzzz whoosh!
Dammitt

Leominster, MA

#32 Feb 4, 2014
I fell for it again. The topic is about pregnant women smoking and somehow Lynch has flipped it into something else and his hate toward anyone who earns a living. That sneaky bastard!
Of course

Melrose, MA

#33 Feb 4, 2014
Dammitt wrote:
I fell for it again. The topic is about pregnant women smoking and somehow Lynch has flipped it into something else and his hate toward anyone who earns a living. That sneaky bastard!
Lynch makes this about him, he's poor. He makes poor decisions. He's morally bankrupt and thinks everyone should be paid the same.

He's a 40 something man who still lives with mom and dad. That is the definition of being a loser.
Insp Klouseau

Worcester, MA

#34 Feb 5, 2014
sterilize the poor, there are too damn many anyhow.
Bingo

Fitchburg, MA

#35 Feb 5, 2014
Insp Klouseau wrote:
sterilize the poor, there are too damn many anyhow.
Now you're talking. Sterilize the mentally disabled too.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#36 Feb 5, 2014
Bingo wrote:
<quoted text>
That would certainly take care of the smokers.
dumb it down 4 Dan

Winnipeg, Canada

#37 Feb 5, 2014
Bingo wrote:
<quoted text>
So start the line
Bingo

Fitchburg, MA

#38 Feb 5, 2014
Says the guy with the Canadian ISP. You're in Canada which is already like being aborted.
IDK

Leominster, MA

#39 Feb 5, 2014
I believe the study and conclusion are flawed. It's upside down. Poverty doesn't cause smoking. An emotional or intellectual deficit causes bad and unfortunate decisions that lead to (or prevent escape from) low income situations. These are also the same types of decisions that lead to risky behaviors like smoking, drug use, unprotected sex. It is not the poverty that causes it. The poverty is a by-product as is the smoking.
Dumb it down 4 Bingo

Winnipeg, Canada

#40 Feb 6, 2014
Bingo wrote:
Says the guy with the Canadian ISP. You're in Canada which is already like being aborted.
Translation: brrratt brraaat brat..brain fart
Dumb it down 4 Smokers

Winnipeg, Canada

#41 Feb 6, 2014
IDK wrote:
I believe the study and conclusion are flawed. It's upside down. Poverty doesn't cause smoking. An emotional or intellectual deficit causes bad and unfortunate decisions that lead to (or prevent escape from) low income situations. These are also the same types of decisions that lead to risky behaviors like smoking, drug use, unprotected sex. It is not the poverty that causes it. The poverty is a by-product as is the smoking.
People of all incomes groups smoke. Stupidity knows no boundries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GoLocalWorcester | News | Fitchburg Police Offi... 10 hr Private Investigater 101
Mr greenjeans 13 hr Jtn 5
Kevin Lynch gets a job! 17 hr The Insider 2
LA Police fatally shoot homeless man Tue BillyBob 1
Fitchburg teens selling lunches for their colle... Mon Jtn 1
Courthouse Records Mar 2 Jtn 1
Leominster Police: Pepper shaker thrown during ... (Nov '08) Mar 1 The Kernal 56

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:11 am PST