2 pit bulls accused of killing small ...

2 pit bulls accused of killing small dog - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 23 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Feb 22, 2008, titled 2 pit bulls accused of killing small dog - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Police say a Fairmount Street woman's two pit bulls killed a small dog during a two-day rampage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Linda

Middletown, CT

#1 Feb 22, 2008
How can she deny that her dogs injured the cats on Federal Street? She wasnt there. I know for a fact that when your dogs are out of your control, they become aggressive. They run down anything that moves because it is unfamiliar territory to them. This woman needs to be locked up first of all for not obeying the dog laws and secondly for the death of the other small dog. Give me a break, how did her dogs break out of her house and if they did why didnt she go after them rather than allowing them to run loose for two days. Obviously if she isnt responsible enough to vaccinate and license her dogs, she shouldnt have them and is not responsible enough to retrieve them when they are loose. What if had been a small child who entered her yard?
amazed

Leominster, MA

#2 Feb 22, 2008
What happened to her two dogs?
Poo Flinging Monkey

South Weymouth, MA

#3 Feb 22, 2008
This bitch should have her head collapsed with a baseball bat. Never mind the dogs.
Truffles

Peabody, MA

#4 Feb 22, 2008
As usual, the problem with most dogs is their owners. Some people should not have pets, and in this case, the owner should be fined heavily and banned from owning dogs.
Cheryla

AOL

#5 Feb 22, 2008
This low life needs to be locked up for not obeying the dog laws! As an owner of a small 5 lb. dog myself, it's so sad that a owner TWO mean-bad-jaw locking pit bulls run free. Thank God it was not a small child. Make her pay and teach others a lesson. Forbit her to own dogs, she is notfit to own any dogs, nevermind DANGEROUS pit bulls. How did they run free 2 days?
Rachel

Seneca, SC

#6 Feb 22, 2008
Cheryla wrote:
This low life needs to be locked up for not obeying the dog laws! As an owner of a small 5 lb. dog myself, it's so sad that a owner TWO mean-bad-jaw locking pit bulls run free. Thank God it was not a small child. Make her pay and teach others a lesson. Forbit her to own dogs, she is notfit to own any dogs, nevermind DANGEROUS pit bulls. How did they run free 2 days?
There is no such thing as lock jaw....it's a myth. There is no locking mechanism in a pit bull's jaw that doesn't exist in any other breed. Any vet will confirm that.

And, what does a small child have to do with anything? Human-agression and animal-agression are two entirely different forms of agressive behavior, and the presence of one does not merit the presence of the other. Pit Bulls are terriers, and as such, have varying levels of prey drive which triggers them to attack and/or kill small animals. Terriers are vermin catchers....you would see the same kind of prey-driven behavior from a Jack Russel or a Rat Terrier as you would from a pit bull. This does not mean that these dogs were human-agressive. Pit Bulls were actually mercelessly culled throughout history to eliminate the emergence of human agression (even dog fighters had to be able to handle the animals, right?) AND, they were known as "Nanny Dogs' in the 1800s and early 1900s because of their tendency to behave as nursemaids to children. They passed national temperment tests at a higher rate that some so-called family dogs.

The problem here is an irresponsible owner who has no consideration for others, and no idea how to properly raise her dogs. I have 3 pit bulls in my home, all obedience trained, vaccinated, licensed, registered, and temperment tested. No problems here.
Linda

Middletown, CT

#7 Feb 22, 2008
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as lock jaw....it's a myth. There is no locking mechanism in a pit bull's jaw that doesn't exist in any other breed. Any vet will confirm that.
And, what does a small child have to do with anything? Human-agression and animal-agression are two entirely different forms of agressive behavior, and the presence of one does not merit the presence of the other. Pit Bulls are terriers, and as such, have varying levels of prey drive which triggers them to attack and/or kill small animals. Terriers are vermin catchers....you would see the same kind of prey-driven behavior from a Jack Russel or a Rat Terrier as you would from a pit bull. This does not mean that these dogs were human-agressive. Pit Bulls were actually mercelessly culled throughout history to eliminate the emergence of human agression (even dog fighters had to be able to handle the animals, right?) AND, they were known as "Nanny Dogs' in the 1800s and early 1900s because of their tendency to behave as nursemaids to children. They passed national temperment tests at a higher rate that some so-called family dogs.
The problem here is an irresponsible owner who has no consideration for others, and no idea how to properly raise her dogs. I have 3 pit bulls in my home, all obedience trained, vaccinated, licensed, registered, and temperment tested. No problems here.
What the previous comment referred to could certainly happen. Just because these two dogs didnt attack a human doesnt mean that if a child were to be in their yard that they would not run toward it. If the child turned to run we both know what that "COULD" lead to. Especially with unsocialized animals. I see it every day of the week. I am an animal control officer. Humans are bitten every day of the week. I applaud you for your responsible pet ownership. I lived in Cleghorn for a short time and saw many pit type dogs who were not owned by responsible people. And there are also unattentive parents out there who dont know where their kids are.
Rachel

Seneca, SC

#8 Feb 22, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
What the previous comment referred to could certainly happen. Just because these two dogs didnt attack a human doesnt mean that if a child were to be in their yard that they would not run toward it. If the child turned to run we both know what that "COULD" lead to. Especially with unsocialized animals. I see it every day of the week. I am an animal control officer. Humans are bitten every day of the week. I applaud you for your responsible pet ownership. I lived in Cleghorn for a short time and saw many pit type dogs who were not owned by responsible people. And there are also unattentive parents out there who dont know where their kids are.
While I agree with you that said situation COULD happen, I wanted the other poster to know that there are different forms of agression in dogs, and that they are not all related. A dog can be animal-agressive, yet totally balanced and friendly towards humans. A dog can be on-lead agressive, but docile off leash. Working in rescue, I have seen many pit bulls that are dog-agressive, but docile and balanced with cats. My statement was merely pointing out that one form of agression does not ensure the presence of another.
Rachel

Seneca, SC

#9 Feb 22, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
AND, as an owner of 3 well-bred, well-raised, well-socialized pit bulls, I feel it's my duty to dispel some of the misconceptions surrounding these dogs. Just because it's a pit bull (or AmStaff, or Rottie, or Dobie for that matter) does not mean it is viscious.
Daisy

Canton, MA

#10 Feb 22, 2008
I know a friend who had a pitbull who was docile and loving then just one day up and bit his teenage child in the face for no reason. While maybe not all dogs have this aggression in them, some of them do and there is no denying that. I agree the majority of the problem is the owners lack of resposible training of the animal. If my dog broke out, which is highly unlikely she would break the door down, I would certainly chase after her for her own safety even so as not to get hit by a car.
Helena

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Feb 22, 2008
I have NEVER had an issue with pits, rotties or any other big dog for that matter. These dogs are great dogs yes they are strong but what big dog isnt. it is a shame that the only time dogs make the news is if they are a big breed. what about all the small ankle biters that bite randomly. I think that if they report aggressive dogs they should report ALL of them not just the pitbulls and rotties.

Since: Nov 07

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Feb 22, 2008
Reading these posts, I noticed that responsible pet owners are defending their dogs, which is fine. The problem is, this woman is NOT a responsible pet owner. The dogs were not properly licensed, their vaccinations were not up-to-date, and they were not leashed. You'd never know it, but there is a leash-law in Fitchburg. People like her SHOULD be banned from having dogs, but since she didn't follow the rules in the first place, what would stop her from getting another dog or two regardless or whether or not she was 'allowed'? For example, how many people are out there driving around with revoked licenses? That being said, I also think she needs some HEFTY fines. I will never understand why someone spends good money on a pet and then neglects it. No common sense.
Ziggy

United States

#13 Feb 22, 2008
I agree with Marie, the problem is this particular owner, and I really wish the law was much harsher with irresponsible dog owners. In my neighborhood alone (I live in Gardner) there are several dogs that most likely are not current on their rabies and other vaccinations as well as licenses, not to mention the roaming cats that most definitely are not vaccinated. While the dogs generally do not roam the neighborhood, they do get loose occasionally, and who wants worm-laden feces and urine in their yards? Most are not socialized, not exercised, and barkers and potential fear biters. The fines for failure to vaccinate and license are simply too lax to get the perpetrators' attention, and until the courts take this ever increasing problem serious and start cracking the whip, it's only a matter of time when rabies once again is rampant. Pet ownership should be a privilege, not a right, and cruelty to animals (failure to vaccinate, train, and exercise should be considered just as cruel as failure to feed and water and shelter)should be punished much, much harsher!- And yes, I am a responsible dog and cat owner.- One more thing: most dogs hate cats, even my gentle dog has killed stray cats in our yard that were dumb enough to walk into his jaws. That isn't just a pit bull trait, it's a DOG trait. Dogs are predators, period.
Linda

Middletown, CT

#14 Feb 23, 2008
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
AND, as an owner of 3 well-bred, well-raised, well-socialized pit bulls, I feel it's my duty to dispel some of the misconceptions surrounding these dogs. Just because it's a pit bull (or AmStaff, or Rottie, or Dobie for that matter) does not mean it is viscious.
Rachel, I agree with you. These dogs are branded and they dont even know it. It makes me sick to see how they are treated by their own owners and by those who do not know the breed. We have adopted out many wonderful pit mixes, rotties, etc. I was not disagreeing with you merely pointing out that this other person who commented also makes a valid point about child safety. All of the comments here are on the same page and yes, the laws are inadequate. We ticket and ticket and take them to court. Then, with the proper court documents having been filed, our police chief goes out and either arrests them or takes their drivers license. I grant you it takes a while to get to that point, but usually when the police chief shows up at their door, they get the point.
donnell

Ellsworth, ME

#16 Feb 23, 2008
Poo Flinging Monkey wrote:
This bitch should have her head collapsed with a baseball bat. Never mind the dogs.
i'm with u on that one what if they would've bit a kid u stupid shit
Antonio

AOL

#17 Feb 24, 2008
Helena wrote:
I have NEVER had an issue with pits, rotties or any other big dog for that matter. These dogs are great dogs yes they are strong but what big dog isnt. it is a shame that the only time dogs make the news is if they are a big breed. what about all the small ankle biters that bite randomly. I think that if they report aggressive dogs they should report ALL of them not just the pitbulls and rotties.
the reason the pit bulls always make the headlines is because they are agressive and they are the ones who cause serious damage. you are an idiot.
duh

Worcester, MA

#18 Feb 24, 2008
Obviously something needs to be done about the breed of dog......No news about any other dogs except for these. And PLEASE the people with these kind of dogs please don't give me the story about it's the owner it's not the dog. I don't hear of any other dog mauling humans and/or other animals as much as this breed.

People that own known "aggressive breed" dogs should have to have some type of insurance to own them.

Any of these dogs ever bit me or my kids, Id rip their tonsils out through their a$$. Then feed them to the owner.

Since: Sep 07

Lowell

#19 Feb 24, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Good job Linda, nicely written. You saved me from typing the same thing.
Linda

Middletown, CT

#20 Feb 24, 2008
Antonio wrote:
<quoted text>
the reason the pit bulls always make the headlines is because they are agressive and they are the ones who cause serious damage. you are an idiot.
the reason the pit bulls are in the news is because they are owned by known druggies and other idiots trying to look "BAD".. you are the idiot, not the prior commentor. They get animals for protection, they dont socialize them and then they are the first to cry when their dog is taken away. I am an animal control officer and I see many many dog bites every year and most of them are not pit bulls. get a clue and stop being so rude to other people who are trying to post educational comments.
Linda

Middletown, CT

#21 Feb 24, 2008
duh wrote:
Obviously something needs to be done about the breed of dog......No news about any other dogs except for these. And PLEASE the people with these kind of dogs please don't give me the story about it's the owner it's not the dog. I don't hear of any other dog mauling humans and/or other animals as much as this breed.
People that own known "aggressive breed" dogs should have to have some type of insurance to own them.
Any of these dogs ever bit me or my kids, Id rip their tonsils out through their a$$. Then feed them to the owner.
the reason you dont see other breeds in the news is because it is not sellable to the public to find out that a 4 pound maltese bit someone in the face..it just isnt interesting but it happens every day and as i said i see dog bites many of them a year and most of them are not aggressive breeds....labs are also notorious for biting but no one is looking to ban labs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Conry calls DPW pick 'ill-conceived;' Wong says... (Jul '08) 8 hr Jtn 29
News President Antonnuci's Final Commencement Addres... 8 hr Jtn 3
News Grateful Dead tribute band kicks off Fitchburg ... 9 hr Jtn 3
News Rain, high waters postpone some Civic Days even... 9 hr Jtn 6
LONGSJO CLASSIC LEFT UNSPONSORED BY UNITIL or A... 15 hr YourMother 8
News Growing the new modern medicine 23 hr Jtn 4
News Cyclist fight at Longsjo Classic being investig... Tue Joe 3
More from around the web

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE