The details of Leominster's trash plan - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

A guide to the new curbside collection program for household waste and recycling in Leominster : The totes: * Each eligible household -- from single-family homes to multi-family buildings of up to four units -- will receive two, 64-gallon plastic totes per living unit.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Oct 8, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fizbo

Oxford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

So the house next to me which has 4 apartments (2 of which are illegal, yet nothing is done about it) will get 8 totes? Maybe not, as the house supposedly only has 2 apartments according to assessor's records.
Amazed

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Fizbo wrote:
So the house next to me which has 4 apartments (2 of which are illegal, yet nothing is done about it) will get 8 totes? Maybe not, as the house supposedly only has 2 apartments according to assessor's records.
Call the city to complain. If nothing gets done call the health department.
Luther Manning

Oxford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Fizbo wrote:
Then file a complaint with the Building Inspector or the Health Department. Blogging it here won't get you anywhere. "Drop a dime" as they say.
hhhh

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

progress s--ks
Rita

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

lololololol. What happened to the guy who said Leominster would never institute a trash fee?
TomD

Newton Center, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

One problem coming with the new policy will be the dumping of furniture, appliances and the like around the city. A charity has two collection boxes on Lancaster ST near the overhead railroad bridge. Last week there were mattress', furniture and even a stove. It sat there for a week! The new, must call for pickup, policy is fine but I'm betting dumping will become a problem
What the heck

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

One of the recent articles said you could put your old recycle bin into the new containers and they would take them away.

Try again.

The guy just pulled it out and threw it on the ground this morning.

Since: Mar 08

Oxford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

So, what to do with the few thousand old style recycle bins that we'll end up with ?
Fizbo

Oxford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

Make a planter out of them...yoyo
Waste

Burlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

So how much non-recyclable plastic was used to create those giant 64-gallon plastic totes to throw recycling in?
Luther Manning

Oxford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Tried the same tactic, put the old style recycle bins in the new containers and they were taken out and tossed onto the front lawn. Asked the driver of the truck and was told "not my problem, call the board of health or Walter Fiore, NO blue or green bins are to be put in the trash...".
Madashell

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Fiore for enabling a new wave of trash monopolizing. This is going to create a huge problem. People will have bags left out on thier lawn and the board of health will cite people for that. And what gives an employee of Fiore's the right to tell me that my trash is not good enough for his truck. I cant put my old bin in the new bin? I say just drop them off at the gates of their transfer station. Illegal dumping is going to be a problem. Soon all of Leominster will look like Mechanic st.
I really appreciate it Leominster. This is the type of thing that got us in this position in the first place.
Not That Into It

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

I really don't give a rats azz about recycling. Just dig a big hole in your backyard, drop in the old container and cover it up.

2,000 years from now ... no problem

Since: Mar 08

Sterling, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Same problem last week, the recycle bin was picked over and things tossed onto the sidewalk, including an empty windshield washer jug, bleach bottle, and some plastic plant trays. "no hazardous containers,
no plant trays" was the response I got. What's next...

Fine, no problem, it will go into the regular trash.
Interested Reader

Milton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

I can't say that I've experienced ANY of the problems that Mr. Burgess has reported. ALL of our recyclables have always been taken by the city's contractor.

On SUNDAY (!!!) I received my new trash and recycling totes.

I saw a truck on SATURDAY delivering totes on Mechanic St.

Keep up the good work!
Extra Bags

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

What a complete joke!

Purchased a ten pack of 'special rubbish bags' for $17.50.

These bags are for use when you supposedly have more rubbish than will fit in your brand new Rubbish Tote.

Here's the kicker: These bright green plastic bags (with Fiore printed on them) are about as flimsy as the thin plastic used in a dry cleaners bag and they are TINY -- 24 inches wide by 30 inches high.

They are similar to a 13 gallon white kitchen bags instead of the normal 30 gallon black rubbish bag.

What a racket. It will take 3 'special bags', at a cost of $5.25, to equal the volume of a normal Glad Rubbish Bag.

Guess who's going to be make early morning runs outside of Leominster to drop off regular extra bags!
Get Lost

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Ken Burgess wrote:
Same problem last week, the recycle bin was picked over and things tossed onto the sidewalk, including an empty windshield washer jug, bleach bottle, and some plastic plant trays. "no hazardous containers,
no plant trays" was the response I got. What's next...
Fine, no problem, it will go into the regular trash.
You have been told to stay off these forums clown, what will it take, a DOS attack on your IP ADDRESS ?
Get Lost

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Extra Bags wrote:
What a complete joke!
Purchased a ten pack of 'special rubbish bags' for $17.50.
These bags are for use when you supposedly have more rubbish than will fit in your brand new Rubbish Tote.
Here's the kicker: These bright green plastic bags (with Fiore printed on them) are about as flimsy as the thin plastic used in a dry cleaners bag and they are TINY -- 24 inches wide by 30 inches high.
They are similar to a 13 gallon white kitchen bags instead of the normal 30 gallon black rubbish bag.
What a racket. It will take 3 'special bags', at a cost of $5.25, to equal the volume of a normal Glad Rubbish Bag.
Guess who's going to be make early morning runs outside of Leominster to drop off regular extra bags!
Give FIORE a chance huh? Don't like it, get a dumpster, there are several firms in the area to
choose from.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa poor me....Losers
Extra Bags

Lancaster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Get Lost wrote:
Give FIORE a chance huh? Don't like it, get a dumpster, there are several firms in the area to choose from.
Get Lost -- the self appointed trash answer man. lol
trashtalk

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

the whole point of this is to make you recycle so that you do not need anything more than one trash bucket....the prospect of paying for additional bags should encourage the reasonable person to recycle more things and avoid any such expense. Fill the recycle bin and keep the trash bin under capacity..this is not rocket science, but if you listen to the whiners, it is hell. The whiners are fakers who write in and play dumb so they can be heard in their pathetic lives. What other city gives you two beautiful brand spanking new trash containers and gives you instructions which when followed should leave you in trash heaven. Seriously, are people really as dumb as they act or are they just Fiore haters looking for an excuse to whine? Remember, the more recycling you do, the less trash you will have. Got it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
a holes 4 hr pedro 11
Police: Shots fired into Fitchburg home 21 hr Sonny 2
Fitchburg neighbors come together for yearly co... Sun ken 7
FHS cohort attends leadership conference Sun Jtn 2
Developer sees retail center at Pelletier's Sun Joe Underbridge 3
Arthur T. Demoulas makes offer to buy Market Ba... Sun Joe L Kaddie 3
How to get hot babes Sun Joe Underbridge 3
•••
•••