Residents crowd forum targeting Fitchburg crime

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Aug 10, 2013

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 9, 2013
FITCHBURG -- Residents packed the Memorial Middle School library Thursday evening to voice their concerns about two murders over the last two months in a standing-room-only community meeting.

The meeting was called by Mayor Lisa Wong following the shooting murders of 26-year-old Luis Rodriguez on Marshall Street on June 21 and 33-year-old Shaun Hibbard at the corner of Forest and Charles streets early Saturday morning.

Councilors and ranking police officials marveled at the number of residents that filled the room, and how many passionately spoke about the issues in their neighborhoods.

"Change has to come when we all come together like this tonight," said Sgt. Glenn Fossa. "This is incredible."

Wong said she sees many of the crime issues in the community stemming from problems related to the economy, drugs and addiction. Others mentioned concerns regarding mental health and the availability of guns.

Detective Keith Bourne, president of the police union, attended the meeting with about 20 fellow police officers, all of whom were there off-duty because they care, he said.

"We're here every day, fighting in the trenches. We're not getting anywhere, we're not making any progress," he said. "Things need to change. We need you to be our partners as much as we're your partners."

Forest Street resident Dan Kirouac said residents have to do what he's done every time there's a problem -- call the police, and give your name and address.

Forest Street resident Dan Kirouac said residents have to do what he's done every time there's a problem -- call the police, and give your name and address.

"You've got to give them the information they need to do their job," he said.

Anne Belmont, also a Forest Street resident, said it's difficult to work with police when some feel their concerns aren't taken seriously when they're reported, such as when a neighbor shot her cat with a pellet or BB gun in June and shattered its femur.

Kelly Johnson, a candidate for Ward 1 councilor who lives at the intersection where Hibbard was shot, said she has heard from neighbors who are afraid to report incidents and leave their information because they fear retaliation, in particular a young mother.

"She has been approached by police when incidents have come up and then had neighbors come and call her snitch, and she's fearful for her children," Johnson said.

Tricia Park, a Marshall street resident and letter carrier who is running for Ward 4 councilor, lives across the street from where Rodriguez was murdered. She was working on High Street during a drive-by shooting and had to drop to the ground.

"I will not have my children sitting in their house doing their homework and get shot by a stray bullet in my own house," she said.

Many who spoke called for more police officers, and more support for the ones the city currently has.

"If you want this city to survive, you have to stand behind your police force, you have to increase your police force," said Stickney Road resident Dr. Kendra Sullivan Godin.

Melanie Pepin, a former teacher and now stay-at-home mother who grew up on Marshall Street and lives on Milk Street, said that change has to begin in each individual household, and it won't be accomplished overnight.

"People say we need more cops. Well yes, I agree we need more cops, but you can throw all the money you want to the schools, you can throw all the money you want to get more cops, but if society does not change, you're just going to keep throwing money. The problem starts at home," she said.

Follow Alana Melanson at facebook.com/alanasentinel or on Twitter @alanamelanson.
BillyBob

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Aug 9, 2013
Stamos,There is little if anything in your prose that is original, so we all know you for what you are: a poser. The arrors in your quiver are borrowed, your bow is cracked, your aim askew. You have bravado born out of the anonimity of cyberspace. You are in life a meek and obscure shadow. Easily intimidated and bullied by peers with just slightly better skills, enough to overcome you with regularity and ease.
Chickpig

Leominster, MA

#3 Aug 9, 2013
BillyBob wrote:
Stamos,There is little if anything in your prose that is original, so we all know you for what you are: a poser. The arrors in your quiver are borrowed, your bow is cracked, your aim askew. You have bravado born out of the anonimity of cyberspace. You are in life a meek and obscure shadow. Easily intimidated and bullied by peers with just slightly better skills, enough to overcome you with regularity and ease.
I think Stamos just tries to tell the truth. Look at snitchboy. Over and over he bad mouths the FPD. Now he is praising them? How can I trust this flip flopper?

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#4 Aug 10, 2013
BillyBob wrote:
Why reach into ones own quiver and waist arrows when you can just be pick them off the ground? You're not giving me enough credit. Act dumb and people will expose themselves as they did. Then they pile on. It is the oldest bait in the book. With you being so smart you think that you would have figured that out by now.

Excuse me, but my aim I believe is quite good, thank you!

Wednesday Aug 7
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/fitchburg-ma/...

Friday Aug 9
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/fitchburg-ma/...
Chickpig

Leominster, MA

#5 Aug 10, 2013
"Act dumb" now even you must find that one funny. Either that guy deserves an Academy award or he's not acting.
Chickpig

Leominster, MA

#6 Aug 10, 2013
Rumor has it Hollywood is making a new movie called Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist. They have already cast the part for dumbest the problem is everytime he tries to leave the house he ends up opening the wrong door, walks into a closet and says 'Hey this isn't California! But lot's of nice clothes. This must be my dressing room!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 1 hr Tim 4
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 1 hr Tim 40
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) 14 hr Karen 67
McKay hosting family barbecue Thu Karen 2
Fitchburg Market Basket workers elated to be back Thu Karen 1
Students, parents get their first look at Fitch... Aug 26 Karen 2
Numbers of homeless increase in region Aug 26 Karen 5
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••