Police: Fitchburg man with HIV put partners at risk

Posted in the Fitchburg Forum

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated May 21, 2013

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Apr 12, 2012
FITCHBURG -- An HIV-positive Congress Street teen has been arraigned on charges that he had unprotected sex with multiple partners -- one of them a 13-year-old girl -- without telling them he has the incurable virus, according to court documents.

Nicholas D. Guzman, 19, of 14 Congress St., Apt. 1R, was arraigned in three separate cases Monday, two charging that he knowingly putting his sexual partners at risk, and one bringing a statutory rape charge.

Guzman was held on $10,000 bail, according to court records. He is charged with three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, related to his failure to disclose his HIV-positive status with the women.

"The defendant did have sexual intercourse with the victim, while knowingly being infected with a life-threatening disease which is transmitted by body fluids, without providing any information as to his health status to the victim prior to sexual intercourse or after sexual intercourse," Fitchburg Detective Christopher Ledoux wrote in one report, dated March 29.

The encounters happened multiple times and Guzman allegedly did not use a condom, Ledoux wrote.

"The victim has subsequently been infected with a life-threatening disease attributed to the defendant and his knowing actions," Ledoux wrote.

It is unclear from police reports included in court files how the allegations were reported to police. The alleged assaults were dated July 2011, and the statutory rape in January of this year.
According to Ledoux's report, "The defendant, by his own admission, did have ongoing sexual intercourse with a minor female who could not consent to these acts."

The alleged victim was 13 years old at the time the sexual encounters began, Ledoux wrote.

If released on bail, Guzman must immediately be fitted with an electronic monitoring device, have no contact with children, and not use any social media, Judge Mark E. Noonan ordered.

Guzman is due back in court May 10 for pretrial hearings.

Staff writer Alana Melanson contributed to this report.
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci...

This no good scumbag did much more than put partners at risk! He gave a 13 year old girl a death sentence. This creep should never be let back out on the streets or given any bail amount.

And isn't Congress street the wannabe Mayors nieghborhood?
The Insider

Washington, DC

#2 Apr 12, 2012
You don't die from HIV anymore. The new drugs keep the virus from becoming active for the rest of your life.

Although she will be able to pass the virus on to other people.
AAA

Gorham, ME

#3 Apr 12, 2012
The Insider wrote:
You don't die from HIV anymore. The new drugs keep the virus from becoming active for the rest of your life.
I wouldn't go as far as saying you don't die from HIV anymore, advances in medicine have made it possible to live a long life. You don't die from HIV but you can die from AIDS. The medication is not 100%. The victims will have take this very expensive medication for the rest of there lives, most likely at taxpayers expense. Who knows how many people, men and women he has infected, only 3 that are known, could be many more. Someone could have gotten it from him not know and is passing it on to others. This guy does not deserve to be in public, he needs to be locked up, for ever with no medication. Let him die a slow painful death. My compassion is for his victims, not him.
What

Leominster, MA

#4 Apr 12, 2012
The Insider wrote:
This is still wrong on so many levels. One of the victims was only THIRTEEN! Now she gets to go thru life taking medication and being known as the kid with Aids. This guy should be put in an electric chair that is set to Extra crispy.
Response

Leominster, MA

#5 Apr 12, 2012
What is this world coming to?? The fact that these teen girls all slept with the guy without a condom is nuts! What are these girls, especially the 13 year old doing having sex at such a young age? Oh and where are the parents?? I have a 15 year old and you better believe I watch her like a hawk! That is our job as a PARENT! The problem is that in todays society parents, especially the moms want to be their childrens friends and not parents... Yes what he did is horrible and he needs to pay for ruining these girls lives before they even started living them.... BUT whats up with these young kids nowadays being so pomiscuous? Its disgusting!
The Insider

Washington, DC

#6 Apr 13, 2012
It happens all the time especially to 16 year olds which is the legal age of consent. He should be locked up.
Bell

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Apr 17, 2012
That guy is gross he ruined 3 girls lifes.. wait there maybe many moree. i know a girl he got prego and left her. she has aids noww.
Devils Advocate

Rockville, MD

#8 Apr 17, 2012
Response wrote:
What is this world coming to?? The fact that these teen girls all slept with the guy without a condom is nuts! What are these girls, especially the 13 year old doing having sex at such a young age? Oh and where are the parents?? I have a 15 year old and you better believe I watch her like a hawk! That is our job as a PARENT! The problem is that in todays society parents, especially the moms want to be their childrens friends and not parents... Yes what he did is horrible and he needs to pay for ruining these girls lives before they even started living them.... BUT whats up with these young kids nowadays being so pomiscuous? Its disgusting!
It all started with the "Villiage Mentality" where Hillary Clinton managed to get people to believe that "It takes a Villiage" to raise a child!

Wake up parents... it doesn't take anyone but you! Yes you! They are YOUR children, so raise them properly and keep your eyes on them... watch what they are doing!
Really

Leominster, MA

#9 Apr 17, 2012
Response wrote:
It is a combination of factors - immaturity, low self-esteem, need for affirmation from an older male, rebellion, and peer pressure. These girls probably have absent fathers. It takes much stronger and effective parenting to help these girls understand themselves and the consequences these days. They may even be repeating paths similar to those of their mothers. Face it, there are not a lot of role models. The media villanizes those who should be the heroes. Many kids do not see promising futures and only live in the moment. Sad.
Dee

Jamaica Plain, MA

#10 Apr 18, 2012
It's sad to see so many people uneducated about the reality of living with HIV. I don't condone the young man's actions - as an openly HIV+ person I believe firmly in disclosure - however, throwing a 19-year-old in jail or in an electric chair solves nothing. If any person is sexually active, they need to be responsible for their own actions and act accordingly to protect both themselves and their partners; this includes ALL parties, as the onus lies on each individual and not solely the one with HIV.

As for increasing criminalization here in MA, it's absurd. Studies have shown that harsher laws on HIV criminalization have an opposite effect of their intention because it demotivates people to know their status if it can be used against them in court. An excellent resource for those interested in learning more specifics about HIV criminalization is the Positive Justice Project of the Center for HIV Law and Policy.

And although the information may be in public record, it is inappropriate for any news agency to reveal the full address of anyone accused of any crime. Doesn't he and his family have the right to privacy as much as anyone else?
Voter

Bedford, MA

#11 Apr 18, 2012
Dee wrote:
It's sad to see so many people uneducated about the reality of living with HIV. I don't condone the young man's actions - as an openly HIV+ person I believe firmly in disclosure - however, throwing a 19-year-old in jail or in an electric chair solves nothing. If any person is sexually active, they need to be responsible for their own actions and act accordingly to protect both themselves and their partners; this includes ALL parties, as the onus lies on each individual and not solely the one with HIV.
As for increasing criminalization here in MA, it's absurd. Studies have shown that harsher laws on HIV criminalization have an opposite effect of their intention because it demotivates people to know their status if it can be used against them in court. An excellent resource for those interested in learning more specifics about HIV criminalization is the Positive Justice Project of the Center for HIV Law and Policy.
And although the information may be in public record, it is inappropriate for any news agency to reveal the full address of anyone accused of any crime. Doesn't he and his family have the right to privacy as much as anyone else?
You're on here advocating for sympathy towards a piece of garbage who knowingly raped and infected a 13 year old girl along with two otehr women? That's your position? Since he's a rapist the citizens have a right to know where he lives. The fact that he's also HIV+ is inconsequential. He's a rapist. And you're on here defending him. How can you look yourself in the mirror? Dee, that's a femal name? How would your friends feel knowing that you were defending the actions of a chld rapist?

There is no onus on a 13 year old child. The law has acknowledged that they are incapable of making informed decisions and granting consent. You're dense and you're statements show a complete lack of understanding and knowledge of the basics.

You're almost as despicable as the child rapist.
Brittany

Elizabeth, NJ

#12 May 21, 2013
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
You're on here advocating for sympathy towards a piece of garbage who knowingly raped and infected a 13 year old girl along with two otehr women? That's your position? Since he's a rapist the citizens have a right to know where he lives. The fact that he's also HIV+ is inconsequential. He's a rapist. And you're on here defending him. How can you look yourself in the mirror? Dee, that's a femal name? How would your friends feel knowing that you were defending the actions of a chld rapist?
There is no onus on a 13 year old child. The law has acknowledged that they are incapable of making informed decisions and granting consent. You're dense and you're statements show a complete lack of understanding and knowledge of the basics.
You're almost as despicable as the child rapist.
I have to agree with you Niko is a disgusting person he knowingly infected 3 and im sure much more with an incurable disease. Even though these girls should have protected themselves, but for him he has a disease he either should have told them, or not had relations at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 3 hr Tim 4
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 3 hr Tim 40
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) 16 hr Karen 67
McKay hosting family barbecue Thu Karen 2
Fitchburg Market Basket workers elated to be back Thu Karen 1
Students, parents get their first look at Fitch... Aug 26 Karen 2
Numbers of homeless increase in region Aug 26 Karen 5
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••