You did it

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Hewlett-Packard is going to layoff 27,000 people. Well sometimes you build a computer so smart it can do your job and 27,000 others at the same time.
You did it

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

And the kicker is you don't have to pay a computer salary/insurance/401k.....
AAA

Windham, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

You did it wrote:
Hewlett-Packard is going to layoff 27,000 people. Well sometimes you build a computer so smart it can do your job and 27,000 others at the same time.
HP has over 340k world wide, it won't be 27k in the US, although laying off 27 in the US is to many. HP along with Dell have focused more on the PC market which has dwindles in the last few years as more people use smart phones and tablets (iPad). Computors have been doing much of the work in the manufacturing sector for years. Humans are obsolete.
Bloated

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Way overstaffed and trying to figure out what they want to be. While Apple is eating their lunch they're trying to figure out what to do. Same with Dell. Michael Dell needs to retire and let a visionary take the helm.
The Insider

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Bloated wrote:
Way overstaffed and trying to figure out what they want to be. While Apple is eating their lunch they're trying to figure out what to do. Same with Dell. Michael Dell needs to retire and let a visionary take the helm.
They know what they are now. They don't want to be like apple. They make PCs. The PC market has declined because most people do not upgrade their systems as they used to do because they had to to run a new Windows program that came out every few years.

Most PC users are just using their computer to get online now. The stockholders actually love having layoffs. It is good for the stockholders and the company.
Ching Wong Song

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

It could be because every mother board and components for computers are made by my cousins in China, Japan and Korea for 3 yen a day and a bowl of rice.
You did it

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

I like the article today on Yahoo how Hillary Clinton says we hacked into Al-quida websites. That serves them right, the last computer I saw made in Yemin stunk. She looks more beautiful than ever in the picture.
AAA

Windham, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

The Insider wrote:
<quoted text>
They know what they are now. They don't want to be like apple. They make PCs. The PC market has declined because most people do not upgrade their systems as they used to do because they had to to run a new Windows program that came out every few years.
Most PC users are just using their computer to get online now. The stockholders actually love having layoffs. It is good for the stockholders and the company.
Its always about the stockholders/investors, its never about the product line or employees. If the top stockholders could make billions of dollars by closing HP tomorrow they would. There was a time when Apple, HP, Dell and others all made the same products but only a few such as Apple expanded into new technology. I still like my laptop and will buy another soon. There is still a big market for PC's, they last longer and are more durable than smartphones and tablets, more power and storage therefore many people hold on to them longer. The economy has kept many people from replacing them sooner, it did me. As stated above HP is way overweight, have been for years, they have been on a buying spree for several years, they bought Compac which a few years earlier bought Digital. HP has 340k employees, but not much of those employeess work in manufacturing sinch HP out sources much of there manufacturing to Foxxconn, the same company that manufactures Apple products. Its bad news for the employees effected but right now its about survival. Unless HP ventures into new areas more employees may go.
Just thinking

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Is it possible that computers have an effect on the unemployment rate? Twenty years ago if you needed customer service you could get it. Now it's press 3 for this press 7 for that.... after your thumb is ready to fall off you finaly talk to a real person who tells you they can't help you.
21 million take home

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

"Fiorina out,
CEO who engineered Compaq merger leaving after fight with board; will walk away with $21 million."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/technology/hp...

Someone did just fine in the land of CEO take all the money and run US indistry model!
The Insider

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

21 million take home wrote:
"Fiorina out,
CEO who engineered Compaq merger leaving after fight with board; will walk away with $21 million."
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/technology/hp...
Someone did just fine in the land of CEO take all the money and run US indistry model!
$21 million isn't alot. That is a one year deal with many professional athletes who never got a degree.
Insider is funny

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

The Insider wrote:
<quoted text>
$21 million isn't alot. That is a one year deal with many professional athletes who never got a degree.
No , there aren't a lot of pro athletes who get $21m a year. For someone who calls themselves the insider you don't know dick.
Just like your comment about FHS being one of the safest. You're definitely not an insider there because the faculty will tell you you're way off base.

And HP isn't so much a PC company as it is a services organization, software company, enterprise server company, investment company etc. try reading any of their SEC filings, I suggest their last annual report, to see where they derive their revenues.

You just may learn something. Dum dum.
The Insider

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Insider is funny wrote:
<quoted text>
No , there aren't a lot of pro athletes who get $21m a year. For someone who calls themselves the insider you don't know dick.
Just like your comment about FHS being one of the safest. You're definitely not an insider there because the faculty will tell you you're way off base.
And HP isn't so much a PC company as it is a services organization, software company, enterprise server company, investment company etc. try reading any of their SEC filings, I suggest their last annual report, to see where they derive their revenues.
Oh I am very sorry, I work with a faculty member where I get my facts from, he must be wrong. I am sorry about HP, I worked for Digital, Compaq and HP just a couple of years ago so I must have gotten that information wrong too.
The Insider

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Insider is funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I know facts can be hard to swallow but yes many athletes do make alot of money that isn't all in their contract. And you are missing my point. For a CEO that was running HP that required extensive education and experience,$21 million is chump change for him.

Big name movie stars also get paid around the $20 million mark for a movie and that is prepaid before the movie gets released. Again, I am sure you know if the movie is a big hit then the actor/actress can earn alot more even in the $100 million dollar range for just one movie.

People around here just aren't exposed to the salaries that are out there especially in the North Shore area and other parts of the country. We do or had some companies that the owners are earning close to $2 million per year. Those ambulance calls can be costly, those black and purple tow trucks aren't cheap either and our former owner of the most popular gas station downtown still makes a few dollars.

Need some help? Here is a link just for you:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/10/04/15-h...
You know who

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Obviously you don't know how to interpret an Annual Report. They are divested now, their primary source of revenue is not from their PSG. Think what you want in regards to FHS but you know not of what you speak.

And 15 pro athletes = a lot? OK considering there are thousands across the four major sports and the median income is nowhere near where you think it is I think you're putting too much stock in the phrase "a lot".

Facts are fun, aren't they? Read the annual report. As an ESPP investor you should get them mailed to your house, crack it open and see for yourself.
The Insider

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

You still missing the point dumb dumb.$21 million is not alot for a CEO leaving a company. Sounds like to me you are very jealous of people earning millions.

Here are your facts:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/gallery/20...
AAA

Windham, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Insider is funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you call someome dumb, maybe you should check your facts. HP is a PC company thats why they are in the position they are in at the moment. There future outlook is to focus more on service and software, like IBM has been doing the last several years. want to focus less on PC as the market is shrinking. Sure they get revenue from other business but the PC business is there biggest.
Holy crap

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Not a lot "for them".

Doesn't make it right, it's wrong and no, they do not earn that much money when the company fails!
You know who

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

AAA wrote:
<quoted text>Before you call someome dumb, maybe you should check your facts. HP is a PC company thats why they are in the position they are in at the moment. There future outlook is to focus more on service and software, like IBM has been doing the last several years. want to focus less on PC as the market is shrinking. Sure they get revenue from other business but the PC business is there biggest.
Look at their annual report, about 1/4 of their revenue comes from the PSG business. The balance comes from Services, IPG, ESSN, HP Software and HPFS.

As you're obviously too lazy or stupid to look at the Annual Report yourself I'll provide the link to their financial metrics page. You'll see that the PSG group is not the source of the bulk of their revenues.

You're welcome.
AAA

Windham, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

You know who wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at their annual report, about 1/4 of their revenue comes from the PSG business. The balance comes from Services, IPG, ESSN, HP Software and HPFS.
As you're obviously too lazy or stupid to look at the Annual Report yourself I'll provide the link to their financial metrics page. You'll see that the PSG group is not the source of the bulk of their revenues.
You're welcome.
Well its obvious your not a very smart bean counter, are you? Sure 25% of revenue, as you claim, comes from the PC business more if you count the printers which they came close to getting out of a few years ago because of falling sales. What does the annual report tell people? its tells HP's numbers, thats it. What I go by are the reports from industry experts that are on the business channels such CNBC or Bloomburg or the print media such as WSJ. What all the experts all have in common is that they say that dwindling sales in the there PC business takes a major hit in there revenue and profits which translates into a lower stock price for investors. And if you haven't noticed of the last several years the bottom line for corporate america is the stockholder. You think that 25% is small potatos for HP.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Fitchburg Forum right now

Search the Fitchburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials investigating two-alarm Fitchburg hou... 22 min Karen 2
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 25 min Kundrot dionkie 4,693
a holes 7 hr Karen 5
boycotting new market basket prices 8 hr tim 22
Police: Woman robbed Cumberland Farms in Fitchb... Jul 23 Jtn 1
Manager: 'It could be empty tomorrow' Jul 23 Jtn 3
Fitchburg officer charged with drunken driving ... (Nov '10) Jul 21 Pajama People 50
•••
•••

Fitchburg News Video

•••
•••

Fitchburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE