Principal gets a pass on DUI arrest

Principal gets a pass on DUI arrest

There are 1251 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 28, 2007, titled Principal gets a pass on DUI arrest. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A Fishers police officer's decision to take an intoxicated high school principal home instead of arresting him for drunken driving was the wrong one, Fishers Police Chief George Kehl said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 63
Next Last

“Livin the High Life”

Since: Nov 07

The home of the Miami Indians

#1 Dec 28, 2007
I am disappointed. My son attends this high school. Dr. Syverson should know better.

The real question now is what will happen? I am not versed enough in the law to know if the police can come back later and arrest him after the fact. Seems they have the evidence of the .18, he should have to face the music like any other normal citizen.

Really disappointing......
HamCo

Redwood City, CA

#2 Dec 28, 2007
HSE & FPD. Two of the better jokes for 2007 in Hamilton County.

Let's see if the biggest joke, Sonia Leercamp, will do anything.
ISU grad

Redwood City, CA

#3 Dec 28, 2007
this makes me want to throw up
Scape Goat

Mansfield, OH

#4 Dec 28, 2007
Sounds to me like the Captain, the Assistant Chief, and perhaps the Chief all new what was going on, at the time it occured. It also seems that Assistant Chief Thompson is doing a lot of back pedaling. I hope that he backs his Officer,(like he said he would in the phone conversation).
But, if I were a gambling man, I would bet that Officer Kobli will be the scape-goat in this whole ordeal.
Citizen

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 28, 2007
Hmmm, I wonder why he didn't want to have his wife drive him? Where had he been? How many times has this happened before? So many questions that will never be answered. Where are the MADD respones?
Fed up

AOL

#6 Dec 28, 2007
Charges can and should still be filed --- there is enough there to establish he was operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
Stop focusing on the cops who at least got the guy off the street and were honest about what occurred and look at the fact that this guy is in charge of a large group of children - they will have no respect for him. Also -- any coincidence that this was the night of the superintendent's holiday party? they think they are untouchable --- she is just as liable as he is for him driving drunk.
HM Smith

Bedford, MA

#7 Dec 28, 2007
The police officer applied his best judgement and that should be ok. After all he been trained to think. The officer needs to remember that this judgement call should be applied to others, even the young,poor and working class. Arresting someone is not always the right thing to do. I hope the driver learn his lesson.
Future Principal

United States

#10 Dec 28, 2007
I just mailed my resume in to FHS...hopefully I get the job!!
Billy Carter

Westerville, OH

#11 Dec 28, 2007
Give these guys a break, more police should do the same thing. Many good looking women walk away from these incidents every day! My girlfriend has gotten out of all kinds of infractions over the years due to her beauty. People need to be more open minded. The officer removed the guy from the road and out of harms way.
RGW

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Dec 28, 2007
Why is this news???? All of these "holier than thou" posts are so self-righteous and condescending.

I grew up with Kehl and watched him ascend to his present position. He gave many people "breaks" early in his career.

Let the officers make the call in the field!
HHH

Newark, OH

#15 Dec 28, 2007
It seems the patrol officer was between a rock and a hard place. He has a drunk driver pulled over who is on the phone to the patrol officer's superior who it seems is friend of the drunk and to top it all off, also works part time for the same district as the drunk.

What's the patrol officer to do? Make the arrest and suffer the wrath of his boss or let the the guy go and hope the public doesn't find out because it seems his boss is now letting him hang out to dry and cover his own a$$.
pkr126

Carmel, IN

#16 Dec 28, 2007
Nice! What a fabulous statement sent to kids! Principals can drive drunk, cops can make laws as they see them and now cops are a taxi service? We have a SERIOUS problem with the law enforcement in Indiana! Officers break the law EVERYDAY with the attitude "I can do whatever I want" but willing to allow a person to drive drunk with a possible result in killing an innocent person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nice!
Ros Patterson

United States

#17 Dec 28, 2007
My at-the-time under-age son, who was a junior at Fishers High School (FHS), was pulled over in mid-May for driving under the influence and minor consumption. He spent two weeks in the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center and his driver's license was suspended until 12/1/07. When he asked me to contact FHS to take his finals, I was told that he "needed to concentrate on what was going on in his life at the moment." Yet, the principal of this fine institution of learning is chauffeured home for doing basically the same thing. I guess this is the 21st century twist on the old adage of "it's not what you know, but who you know" (it's not who you know, but who you are.
pkr126

Carmel, IN

#18 Dec 28, 2007
janetM wrote:
<quoted text>It is called discretion and cops exercise it all the time. The drunk driver was off the street and the Officer decided to give him a break which is within his discretionary power. Might be a bad decision but I doubt it.I hope his command structure gives him some backing like one of them promised! As usual you post cop hating crap without any basis in fact!
Cops give us a wide open book to put them down. This is just another chapter in their book.
Steven D Fricke

Rock Island, IL

#19 Dec 28, 2007
What is he would have killed one of those students he is so dedicated to or someone else. Drinking is something someone chooses to do and not something he was forced to do. Everyone involved in this cover-up should be suspeneded and the principal asked to resign,
pkr126

Carmel, IN

#20 Dec 28, 2007
RGW wrote:
Why is this news???? All of these "holier than thou" posts are so self-righteous and condescending.
I grew up with Kehl and watched him ascend to his present position. He gave many people "breaks" early in his career.
Let the officers make the call in the field!
You either work with him or related. Signed... one of the self-righteous and condescending citizen's who want equal treatment for all.
Citizen

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Dec 28, 2007
Next time you are stopped by an officer,, as the officer approaches your car, tell him to hold on a minute while you call his boss. Then after you heal from the beating, you will realize this does NOT happen to the rest of us.
cws

Richmond, VA

#22 Dec 28, 2007
Ok! This man was not arrested or charged with a crime. I do not agree with the way this situation was handled. What I really disagree with is that the Star has now become, judge, and jury, and this public display will come with with consequences. The media makes me sick. By the way who was the RAT that leaked all of this out of the Fishers PD anyway.
cws

Richmond, VA

#23 Dec 28, 2007
Billy Carter wrote:
Give these guys a break, more police should do the same thing. Many good looking women walk away from these incidents every day! My girlfriend has gotten out of all kinds of infractions over the years due to her beauty. People need to be more open minded. The officer removed the guy from the road and out of harms way.
I thought a cop's first love was donuts. Does she look like a donut?
Call Koala

Mansfield, OH

#24 Dec 28, 2007
Ros, you are comparing apples to oranges dude. The first sentance in your post says it all, "My at-the-time under-age son...."
Ros Patterson wrote:
My at-the-time under-age son, who was a junior at Fishers High School (FHS), was pulled over in mid-May for driving under the influence and minor consumption. He spent two weeks in the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center and his driver's license was suspended until 12/1/07. When he asked me to contact FHS to take his finals, I was told that he "needed to concentrate on what was going on in his life at the moment." Yet, the principal of this fine institution of learning is chauffeured home for doing basically the same thing. I guess this is the 21st century twist on the old adage of "it's not what you know, but who you know" (it's not who you know, but who you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 63
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fishers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Donnelly is a Radical Liberal 5 hr Go Joe 4
best places to get a hook up 9 hr Youre welcome 4
News Marsh plans to close stores Sun Criswell 2
looking for a good lawyer for free advise Sun ejej 6
PresidentTrump is his own worst enemy Sat Did Flynn cut a deal 6
so we stick with the ACA Mar 24 TrumpedOffTrumpcare 2
Black Thugs Mar 24 whome 3

Fishers Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance