Should Fishers change from a town to a city?

Created by JQFD on Nov 23, 2007

3,689 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

“Is there democracy in Fishers?”

Since: Oct 07

Fishers, IN

#1 Nov 23, 2007
I have been hearing talk about this for so long, I decided to create one of these polls and see what happens.

What about it neighbors? Want to be a real city and have a mayor, and bi-partisan boards and commissions? Or keep a small-town form of government for the fastest-growing city in Indiana?
Apathy

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Nov 27, 2007
Is there no interest in this? Typical for a town where only 10% of the people vote.
Mayor McCheese

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Nov 30, 2007
Apathy is right, no one cares, except the republicans on the town council, who would be scared to death of this, as it would take away a lot of their power.

And I keep hearing a rumor that Scott Faultless is going to quit and let the Republican party appoint his replacement? What is up with that? Is he being annexed into East Geist? Or maybe someone figured out he isn't legally in Fishers anyway? Anyone actually know about this? All I hear are rumors.

“A Democrat in Fishers”

Since: Apr 07

Fishers, IN

#4 Dec 3, 2007
I would be interested in working on this. Anyone interested can email me at gpurvis@purvis4fishers.com.

Fishers, IN

#5 Dec 7, 2007
No one seems to care about this poll, nor the one-party system that steamrollers everyone who gets in their way, not even when their total ineffectiveness means nothing will be done about I-69 until 2021. Sheez. This is why we need a mayor folks, to twist arms and get things done for the whole community. Fishers has 65,000 people, it is not a little town anymore.
abcd

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Dec 7, 2007
Based on JQFD's comments, that's like saying the U.S. needs a tsar because no one cares and to "get things done".

Fishers, IN

#7 Dec 7, 2007
abcd wrote:
Based on JQFD's comments, that's like saying the U.S. needs a tsar because no one cares and to "get things done".
The US does have one, "W".:) So what is your point?

Fishers, IN

#8 Dec 13, 2007
A CITY. For sure. Give us a mayor, a city council we can actually elect to represent our neighborhoods, and not have to spread them over the whole town to protect incumbents, and then maybe, just maybe, we will finally have local government that LISTENS. It is at least worth a shot.
Mayor McCheese

Lebanon, IN

#9 Dec 13, 2007
No one cares! Do you see my nice new hamburger restaurant going up? More people care about that than some stupid election. Let them eat Big Macs!
Apathy

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Dec 17, 2007
Whooopie! A whole 12 people voted in this poll so far! Do I understand correctly that no one cares if we have a mayor or not? Or is it worse? No one cares if we have democracy, monarchy, oligarchy, or just plain dictatorship. Alas for us, that last may be the truth.

Fishers, IN

#11 Dec 31, 2007
Ok, with a couple thousand posts about a principal who didn't get arrested for DUI and people all up in arms about what public employees did or did not do, or should or should not have done, maybe it is time to revive this poll.

Folks, I am not impartial in this. We are a LARGE city. We need a mayor to run things, whom we elect and is responsible to us. We do not need small-town government which rules according to "good old boy" rules.

Is there Democracy in Fishers? Does anyone care other than a few? Let's see.
just chillin

Carmel, IN

#12 Jan 3, 2008
JQFD wrote:
Ok, with a couple thousand posts about a principal who didn't get arrested for DUI and people all up in arms about what public employees did or did not do, or should or should not have done, maybe it is time to revive this poll.
Folks, I am not impartial in this. We are a LARGE city. We need a mayor to run things, whom we elect and is responsible to us. We do not need small-town government which rules according to "good old boy" rules.
Is there Democracy in Fishers? Does anyone care other than a few? Let's see.
I see what having a mayor has done for Indy. There is not a shred of a reason to change our form of government in Fishers. The people can be fairly represented in a town form of government. They have to "chose" to be represented. 10% of the Fishers population comes out for election, so these same 10% get to make the call on who runs our local government. I, for one, am pretty happy with how things are run. If I wasn't, I would be out campaigning for or against someone in the elections. As it is, I do vote every election year, but there are not very many choices to be made because nobody else wants to jump into the fray.

If we were a city, we would have a mayor. The same 10% would be the ones who put the mayor in office, so who is to say that Faultless would not be the mayor of the "City of Fishers". All a mayor really does is create the possibilty of nothing getting done because the council and mayor do not always see eye to eye and fight against each other.

The Town form of government can work fine regardless of our population. If people are truly unhappy about the decisions that are being made, then they need to do something about it. Run for one of the council seats and make a difference. All you need is 10% of the votes to place your stamp on the future of our town.

“A Democrat in Fishers”

Since: Apr 07

Fishers, IN

#13 Jan 4, 2008
just chillin wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what having a mayor has done for Indy. There is not a shred of a reason to change our form of government in Fishers. The people can be fairly represented in a town form of government. They have to "chose" to be represented. 10% of the Fishers population comes out for election, so these same 10% get to make the call on who runs our local government. I, for one, am pretty happy with how things are run. If I wasn't, I would be out campaigning for or against someone in the elections. As it is, I do vote every election year, but there are not very many choices to be made because nobody else wants to jump into the fray.
If we were a city, we would have a mayor. The same 10% would be the ones who put the mayor in office, so who is to say that Faultless would not be the mayor of the "City of Fishers". All a mayor really does is create the possibilty of nothing getting done because the council and mayor do not always see eye to eye and fight against each other.
The Town form of government can work fine regardless of our population. If people are truly unhappy about the decisions that are being made, then they need to do something about it. Run for one of the council seats and make a difference. All you need is 10% of the votes to place your stamp on the future of our town.
Well, I did run, so I assume your comments do not relate to me.

As to Indy, they had one Democrat as mayor since the 1960s. And without a mayor, they would not have the Colts or the Pacers, the RCA Dome or Conseco Fieldhouse, Circle Centre Mall, or tons of new hotels. And a lot of Republican mayors got that started, notably Bill Hudnut. Peterson didn't do a thing to change that.

And you might be right, maybe the same 10% would elect a mayor in Fishers. So what? I still maintain a city of 65,000+ needs a city form of government. Maybe a mayor would get the State (all of them Republicans as well) to do something about I-69 before 2021. Maybe a mayor would have more direct control of police department policy. maybe a mayor would provide some direction to handle all the problems of over-development. Maybe it IS worth a look, and a referendum of the voters to decide.

I heard this issue in the council campaign from ordinary voters as much as any other issue. And from Republicans as well as Democrats. That is why I will work on a bi-partisan committee to do the same thing Westfield did, and change to a city. And they are less than half our size.
Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 7, 2008
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I can do whatever I want, and no one can stop me! No one cares about what I do in office, or anything else! Now, let's see if I can find my pretty brown shirt with the funny armband to wear to the council meeting, where I will annex one more unwilling community and spend millions of dollars. Ain't power grand, especially when no one cares?
just chillin

Carmel, IN

#15 Jan 8, 2008
Gregory A Purvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I did run, so I assume your comments do not relate to me."

Congratulations for doing so. Competition is always good for the campaigns.

"Maybe a mayor would have more direct control of police department policy. maybe a mayor would provide some direction to handle all the problems of over-development. Maybe it IS worth a look, and a referendum of the voters to decide.
What exactley is wrong with the police department policy? I believe the Fishers Police Department is fully accredited by a National Commission. I would assume that their policies have been examined at length prior to obtaining that accreditation.

As far as "over-development", I would still argue that if we had a mayor, it would probably be one of the current council members who were voted in by the Fishers Residents, so development would probably be the same as it is currently. In fact, a mayoral system makes it easier for governmental corruption to occur since it would only take one bad seed as opposed to all of the decisions being made by a seven member council who have executive power.

Fishers, IN

#16 Jan 8, 2008
just chillin wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactley is wrong with the police department policy? I believe the Fishers Police Department is fully accredited by a National Commission. I would assume that their policies have been examined at length prior to obtaining that accreditation.
As far as "over-development", I would still argue that if we had a mayor, it would probably be one of the current council members who were voted in by the Fishers Residents, so development would probably be the same as it is currently. In fact, a mayoral system makes it easier for governmental corruption to occur since it would only take one bad seed as opposed to all of the decisions being made by a seven member council who have executive power.
If I may butt in to make a point, what is wrong with checks and balances, such as at every other level of government? Fishers town council is both legislature and executive. IF they were separate entities, then they would exercise restraint on each other, at least in theory.

Of course, Mao Tse Tung and Fidel Castro were both legislature and executive as well. I am not calling anyone a communist or a dictator, but the town council HAS been accused of being unresponsive.
Apathy

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jan 8, 2008
just chillin wrote:
<quoted text>
If all the police dept's policies are so wonderful, how come they allowed a drunk with more than twice the legal limit of blood alcohol to be taken home by the officer, under the pretense of "officer discretion"? And the chief of police has admitted the policy needs to be revised.

Who is guarding the guardians? Not the town council.
just chillin

Carmel, IN

#18 Jan 9, 2008
"If all the police dept's policies are so wonderful, how come they allowed a drunk with more than twice the legal limit of blood alcohol to be taken home by the officer, under the pretense of "officer discretion"? And the chief of police has admitted the policy needs to be revised...
And you think a mayor would change all that? I think that Mayor Faultless would run things pretty much the way they are now except he wouldn't even have to "bounce" his ideas off the other council members. He would have complete executive power. Some would argue that he would have to answer to the people as a mayor. He has to answer to the people now and according to the last election, the people are happy with him.
If you check the policies of most police departments you will find that they all have policies that allow officer discretion. Police work by its very nature is discretionary because officers have to make decisions that effect the lives of others on a daily basis. Is the discretion always used correctly? Of course not. Officers are human and make mistakes.
Police officers all across this country take drunks home on occasion depending on the situation. But i think we are moving off topic with this current line of dialogue.
Apathy

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 9, 2008
just chillin wrote:
"If all the police dept's policies are so wonderful, how come they allowed a drunk with more than twice the legal limit of blood alcohol to be taken home by the officer, under the pretense of "officer discretion"? And the chief of police has admitted the policy needs to be revised...
And you think a mayor would change all that? I think that Mayor Faultless would run things pretty much the way they are now except he wouldn't even have to "bounce" his ideas off the other council members. He would have complete executive power. Some would argue that he would have to answer to the people as a mayor. He has to answer to the people now and according to the last election, the people are happy with him.
If you check the policies of most police departments you will find that they all have policies that allow officer discretion. Police work by its very nature is discretionary because officers have to make decisions that effect the lives of others on a daily basis. Is the discretion always used correctly? Of course not. Officers are human and make mistakes.
Police officers all across this country take drunks home on occasion depending on the situation. But i think we are moving off topic with this current line of dialogue.
Actually, I doubt that Scott Faultless, who is a successful personal injury lawyer, would give up his job to run for mayor, and in fact, I have heard him express that he might leave the council to spend more time with his family.
But in theory, yes, a mayor could/would/should set policy for all departments of the city, not just the police. Presently, this is set by the town council, or more often, by the hired town manager and the department heads, none of whom were elected by anyone.
And if police department policy must be changed, why isn't it being done by an elected official? Certainly the chief of police can and should make recommendations, but it should be the responsibility of a mayor. THEN if we don't like it, we can vote that person out of office.

Fishers, IN

#20 Jan 10, 2008
I see where Senator Drozda has introduced a bill to outlaw forced annexation. As a Democrat, I applaud this.

An interesting thought for the other side tho, and relevan to this topic: IF Fishers were a city, Geist could not even have attempted to incorporate. CITIES, as opposed to towns, have a protective area of I believe 3 miles outside their boundaries where no new town can incorporate without their consent. This is why Geist would have needed the consent of Lawrence and Indianapolis, BUT NOT FISHERS.

Just pointing something out for those who don't like Geist. I ususally side with Geist, but this is worth noting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fishers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
They pull 19 kids and counting? 8 hr Hayhay 3
News House votes to block EPA regulation of streams,... 10 hr xplode 44
Debate: Gay Marriage - Indianapolis, IN (Jul '10) 12 hr pewwert 1,397
Ballard's wife is Bisexual Fri The Great Kaptoz 1
Mayor Ballard Honors Nasty Letterman Fri The Great Wisdom 5
Brenda Kay Thompson (Jun '11) Fri pcfrmfl 4
Looking for something to calm my nerves Fri Nobody 1
More from around the web

Fishers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE