Cop injured in freak accident gets $4.8M

Full story: Newsday.com

A former Suffolk County police officer who was paralyzed in an all-terrain vehicle accident while taking a shortcut on a Fire Island beach as his shift ended has been awarded a $14.8-million cash settlement.
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Oct 20, 2006
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tom

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2006

This is obscene! What type of crime could be occuring on Fire Island that we need cop patrols? Sodomy laws being broken? Send em to Wyandanch for chrise sakes! Think he be back on his feet in a couple years? Couldna picked a better slimeball lawyer tho.
Ric

Wolfeboro, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

When you ride an ATV you take the risk of injury that comes along with it. He should of been more careful and should not have received a penny.
LIer

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

Plus he was riding on a trail not ment for ATV use. Durrr, common sense says not to use that trail. Typical SCPD officer stuck on his high horse.

Tom, most of FI is patrolled by the State Police and State Parks Police with Ocean Beach and Salitare having their own police forces. SCPD is only there during the summer months.
tom

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

LIer wrote:
Plus he was riding on a trail not ment for ATV use. Durrr, common sense says not to use that trail. Typical SCPD officer stuck on his high horse.
Tom, most of FI is patrolled by the State Police and State Parks Police with Ocean Beach and Salitare having their own police forces. SCPD is only there during the summer months.
But why?....has crime reached that beautiful island as well?
slob_and_protect

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

Let this ahole prove a lesson to all you porkers out their ... is flashing your lights to blow a red, for example, worth spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair? Might as well put some sirens on your Raskal. You idiots claim to be risking your lives everyday 'protecting and serving' the general public, that you despise, by the way. But in reality, you are really risking your lives breaking all the laws the public cannot get away with. Keep driving in your patrol car while talking to your whore on your cell, keep blowing those lights to get off your shift faster, keep disobeying traffic signals, and then blame everyone else when you slam your atv into a metal pole. The real metal pole is sticking out of the ass of all the taxpayers who have to chip in for the home health care nurse taking care of this copper.
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Double Standards?those like me who get arrested for assaulting court officers and cleared by a grand jury after shelling out 10,000 dollars in lawyers fee's dont see any compensation,what about the victims of the badge and gun?I think the people on his jury had thier heads up thier asses.A past case of me getting arrested for the same charge (a felony) while handcuffed behind my back and seatbelted in the front seat of a cruiser,The pencil can cause a lot of damage when it is in the wrong hands such as that of a SCPD officer with no morals.Suffolk needs a civilian revue board or grand jury revue board unassociated to the suffolk DA to investigate fraud,brutallity and other allegations by ALL government officials.The power trip must come to an end ,I'd like to see the reorginization of the Black Panthers to restore respect for the civilian,
whateva

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

slob_and_protect wrote:
Let this ahole prove a lesson to all you porkers out their ... is flashing your lights to blow a red, for example, worth spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair? Might as well put some sirens on your Raskal. You idiots claim to be risking your lives everyday 'protecting and serving' the general public, that you despise, by the way. But in reality, you are really risking your lives breaking all the laws the public cannot get away with. Keep driving in your patrol car while talking to your whore on your cell, keep blowing those lights to get off your shift faster, keep disobeying traffic signals, and then blame everyone else when you slam your atv into a metal pole. The real metal pole is sticking out of the ass of all the taxpayers who have to chip in for the home health care nurse taking care of this copper.
Emergency vehicles are allowed to take red lights or even make a u-turn where a sign is posted no u-turn, yes disobeying traffic signals. Are you jealous that cops can do this or do you just hate cops? When you walk into a store, the employees at the store pretty much have free reign to walk in and out of anyplace they want in the store, right? Not you. It's not your store so YOU have to follow the rules in the store, not the employee. Well, to a cop on patrol, the neighborhood he works in is his/her store and has free reign to go whereever they please. They have the right to get to anywhere they want, even if it means taking a red light or disobeying traffic signs because they are at work in their store. The majority of cops do like the public. Of course there are some bad apples but you don't judge the whole book because of a couple of bad chapters. So, quit your cryin.... Also, I'm sure that you obey all the signs on the road, never ran a red light and you never drink and drive.....
whateva

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

tom wrote:
<quoted text>But why?....has crime reached that beautiful island as well?
The state can only deal with so many drunks at one time, so they call in SCPD for the summer....
Jim

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Roger Evans wrote:
Double Standards?those like me who get arrested for assaulting court officers and cleared by a grand jury after shelling out 10,000 dollars in lawyers fee's dont see any compensation,what about the victims of the badge and gun?I think the people on his jury had thier heads up thier asses.A past case of me getting arrested for the same charge (a felony) while handcuffed behind my back and seatbelted in the front seat of a cruiser,The pencil can cause a lot of damage when it is in the wrong hands such as that of a SCPD officer with no morals.Suffolk needs a civilian revue board or grand jury revue board unassociated to the suffolk DA to investigate fraud,brutallity and other allegations by ALL government officials.The power trip must come to an end ,I'd like to see the reorginization of the Black Panthers to restore respect for the civilian,
By the sounds of it your nothing but a career criminal who has a mouth problem ,when it comes to acting like a civilised human being! Im sure you will wind up doing time in prison because its only natural for you to be a mindless beast,
By the way the Panthers are all but dead ,as they should be! The only members left are typical low rent old shitbag negroes who wasted their lives. They are recognised! as a joke.
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Jim, you sound like a dumb ass redneck like George Bush.A pro government fool who cant see his civil rights fading away by the day." Land of the free",now thats a lie from my enemy(people like you).You'll be happy the day the US government implants a GPS chip in your skull to track your every wherabouts.Its Dumbass Americans like yourself living in denial as the reason why this great country is heading the way it is.I bet you proudly pay $3.00 a gallon for gas and ask how high when you told to jump
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Oh yea ,Jim

I AM WHITE,and not a racist like you,DUMB ASS
brugrats

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
By the sounds of it your nothing but a career criminal who has a mouth problem ,when it comes to acting like a civilised human being! Im sure you will wind up doing time in prison because its only natural for you to be a mindless beast,
By the way the Panthers are all but dead ,as they should be! The only members left are typical low rent old shitbag negroes who wasted their lives. They are recognised! as a joke.
So Jim what state police department are you from?
Jim

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Roger Evans wrote:
Oh yea ,Jim
I AM WHITE,and not a racist like you,DUMB ASS
Your white and support the black panthers? What you are is a self hateing white fool! I bet you are the type with the baggy pants,hat on backwards, and try to talk like a spade! And when you stop at red lights you have that Rap garbage playing with ever profanity imaginable at full blast. But ive never seen your type in the "Hood" even in the daytime. If you showed up at a Black Panther meeting hall in the 60s or 70s, they would have ran a train on your punk ass.
Jim

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Roger Evans wrote:
Jim, you sound like a dumb ass redneck like George Bush.A pro government fool who cant see his civil rights fading away by the day." Land of the free",now thats a lie from my enemy(people like you).You'll be happy the day the US government implants a GPS chip in your skull to track your every wherabouts.Its Dumbass Americans like yourself living in denial as the reason why this great country is heading the way it is.I bet you proudly pay $3.00 a gallon for gas and ask how high when you told to jump
You'll be happy the day the US government implants a GPS chip in your skull to track your every wherabouts.

Keep messing with Police and authority figures,and you will more than likely get a foot implanted in your ass.
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll be happy the day the US government implants a GPS chip in your skull to track your every wherabouts.
Keep messing with Police and authority figures,and you will more than likely get a foot implanted in your ass.
Before all that you government pigs would get a bullet in your head and no I, m not a wigger you Dodo.I,m a business man,a taypayer and a family man who's been raped by your meritless system out of the things that mean the most to me.Face it fool,you have no friends outside of your job,your probably all high on your self over the power you feel in that shiny little badge you polish and sleep with every night since no woman in her right mind would get near you.Your club elite or so you think,the bottom line, your a communist with a badge, the kind of fool I lobby against,a little child playing out his dream of being the hall monitor.You simply are a loser.
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2006

whateva wrote:
<quoted text>The state can only deal with so many drunks at one time, so they call in SCPD for the summer....
If your county was'nt such a miserable place to reside in I'd bet the pressures of substance and alcoholism would,nt be such a major issue.Face it,it 's bad enough you have to pay $2,500 mortgage for a shithole 3 bedroom house on less than a 3rd of an acre,get robbed in taxes by curropt school officials,county attorneys and overzealous cops(a police department where spending has no cap)sit in about an hour of traffic to and fro work everyday because all that hardearn tax money you've payed is going to buy and fuel luxury SUV's, full size police interceptor ford crown vics and ATV's for a department that doesnt need them.I dont see seargents in Nassau co. driving Ford Expeditions or all patrol officers cruising full size vehicles.Face it,Suffolk County sucks and it not only to blame on the PD,it's the whole county government.I laugh at the "visit suffolk county ,long island" commercials aired in PA and N.J.,a waste of money,they should show a clip of Wyandanch and rush hour traffic instead of deceiving people,but then again ,thats what suffolk government is all about,DECIET
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Your white and support the black panthers? What you are is a self hateing white fool! I bet you are the type with the baggy pants,hat on backwards, and try to talk like a spade! And when you stop at red lights you have that Rap garbage playing with ever profanity imaginable at full blast. But ive never seen your type in the "Hood" even in the daytime. If you showed up at a Black Panther meeting hall in the 60s or 70s, they would have ran a train on your punk ass.
Dodo,try CCR "fortunate Son" or "Someday" or Rage Against the Machine "killing in the name of"or "Bullet in your head and" Know your enemy" people like yourself,a bitter old ex cop,racist type who probably got a hard on writing out unnecassary tickets to black,hispanic and jewish citizens.
Jim

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2006

Roger Evans wrote:
<quoted text>Before all that you government pigs would get a bullet in your head and no I, m not a wigger you Dodo.I,m a business man,a taypayer and a family man who's been raped by your meritless system out of the things that mean the most to me.Face it fool,you have no friends outside of your job,your probably all high on your self over the power you feel in that shiny little badge you polish and sleep with every night since no woman in her right mind would get near you.Your club elite or so you think,the bottom line, your a communist with a badge, the kind of fool I lobby against,a little child playing out his dream of being the hall monitor.You simply are a loser.
[I,m a business man}

Amway or Quickstar?
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2006

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
[I,m a business man}
Amway or Quickstar?
Try electrical contractor,I have a roll of 12/2 Aluminum for customers like you
Sharkey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2006

Hey Jim,I'll even throw in a Federal Pacific circuit breaker

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fire Island Discussions

Search the Fire Island Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr positronium 6,355
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 8 hr Georgia 1,317
Police raid Napper Tandy's pub in Miller Place (Jun '07) 22 hr sals little sister 129
Islip's code enforcer is out (Feb '07) Thu George c 32
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Thu Steve Douchy 6,364
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 23 Sham Hannuty 16,777
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Sham Hanutty 436
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••