Blue Point residents concerned about Verizon cell tower

Full story: Newsday

A proposed 80-foot cell phone tower raises safety concerns and will cast an ugly shadow over Blue Point's beloved Corey Beach, say residents who want Brookhaven Town to stop telecommunication giant Verizon from building the structure.
Comments
21 - 28 of 28 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

Since: Aug 07

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Straight shooter wrote:
I don't think the issue here is the cellphone tower being placed in Blue Point at all, but it's the fact that they are going to put it in the sight line of the beach that has everone up in arms. A perfectly good spot behind King Kullen on Montauk Highway was rejected by Verizon. Cell service would be no better in Bayport if the tower was right by the beach than by the store. But of course Newsday with their crack reporting team left that little detail out.
Not a total cellular expert but if there is an existing tower near the site that Verizon rejected, the rejection would make sense. If the towers are too close, the signal from the cell phone will bounce back and forth too much from tower to tower and cause Quality of service issues. Hopefully they find a compromise site....
John

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

This is just another case of a large corporation doing what they want and not listening to the people. By the way, I have never had a signal problem at Corey Beach, so coverage is not the issue. Also, the marina is doing it for the money and not for increasing coverage so they are biased in their opinion.
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

John wrote:
This is just another case of a large corporation doing what they want and not listening to the people. By the way, I have never had a signal problem at Corey Beach, so coverage is not the issue. Also, the marina is doing it for the money and not for increasing coverage so they are biased in their opinion.
Maybe you've never had a signal problem because you don't have Verizon. All cell carriers aren't on the same network. I also doubt Verizon would go thru all this if they didn't need it.
MC bayport

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

yea maybe your service is alright at corey beach but if you live in the area youd know there is no service in bayport. On fairview and ocean you cannt even get service outside your house and the same goes for the area around connetquot. The service in this town is abysmal and these soccer moms need to start doing actually research and have studies that strongly support their cases before they start forming rallies and what not based on a whim that they might be right. I've been in bayport for 15 years and I very happy to get this new tower.
sammie

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Amazing - spend some time getting the facts before inserting foot in mouth and revealing your real I.Q.
End of story.
john

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2011

I live in Fire Island and I think Verizon has done a poor job of marketing their new tower. They put it up, pay for rent each month and i am willing to change but want to try it out and see if I get better reception from my home.

I'm getting the Iphone 5 when it comes out and probably will just continue with my ATT service because visiting the Verizon store in NYC made trying one out seem so difficult that I just walked out.

I'll bet if they made one available at one of the commercial establishments out on the beach, plenty of people would convert.... assuming it really is better.

On the other hand, I have people telling me it depends where u are and it isn't all positive reactions... so the end result is if i can't try it, i aint switching.... Shame on Verizon on losing an opportunity after they went to all the trouble of putting up the tower.
Coram Rules

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2011

Judged:

People, we are talking about Blue Point. Who cares? That place has been going downhill for years!!!!
Bongo

Bayport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2011

Coram Rules wrote:
People, we are talking about Blue Point. Who cares? That place has been going downhill for years!!!!
Youre probably african, right? Do you know why there is no busing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fire Island Discussions

Search the Fire Island Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 3 hr Georgia 1,314
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Matt Lauers Toupee 6,362
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 hr teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 20 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Sham Hanutty 436
Fake Prostitute Snares 20 Men In Bay Shore Sting (Aug '06) Jul 19 CarolineZ 61
Arrest made in Wyandanch street fight shooting (Apr '07) Jul 18 Terry 126
•••
•••
•••
Fire Island Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000