Blue Point residents concerned about Verizon cell tower

Full story: Newsday 28
A proposed 80-foot cell phone tower raises safety concerns and will cast an ugly shadow over Blue Point's beloved Corey Beach, say residents who want Brookhaven Town to stop telecommunication giant Verizon from building the structure. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tomas Two

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 14, 2009
And of course these folks would be the first to complain if they didn't have cell service.
LIer

Bronx, NY

#2 Jul 14, 2009
What about the Cablevision wi-fi antennas that now dot our neighborhoods. No one complains about them? How come they are not included in this article?
Crazylegs Martin

Neptune, NJ

#3 Jul 14, 2009
This cell phone tower is intended to benefit only the people on Fire Island. Let's not pretend this benefits any one in Blue Point aside from the marina owners, as there are plenty of areas not in the line of sight of the beach where this tower could go. Verizon sucks!!!!!!!!!!
hrm

Sayville, NY

#4 Jul 14, 2009
I can't believe how dumb some people are. Its really amazing. "There are health concerns." Oh? Well maybe we should get rid of every cell phone tower in America because they are all over, its a little too late to complain now. Not to mention there is no proof that cell phone towers cause any undue harm to individuals but this urban myth gets perpetuated by every soccer mom in America.
old bronx boy

Hannacroix, NY

#5 Jul 14, 2009
Yeah, concerned! And I bet 90& of them are on their Cell Phones most of the day! Get a life!
Plain Edge

Valley Stream, NY

#6 Jul 14, 2009
An insult to flag, country and community?!?! Puhleeze!!
Putrid

Valley Stream, NY

#7 Jul 14, 2009
Verizon is just providing the service people want and need.
Crazylegs Martin wrote:
This cell phone tower is intended to benefit only the people on Fire Island. Let's not pretend this benefits any one in Blue Point aside from the marina owners, as there are plenty of areas not in the line of sight of the beach where this tower could go. Verizon sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Cameo appearance

Valley Stream, NY

#8 Jul 14, 2009
Agree. Cable has these wi-fi antennas...why doesn't Newsday report on the people with pacemakers who don't want them in front of their homes. Oh, I forgot, Newsday is owned by Cablevision. How convenient.
LIer wrote:
What about the Cablevision wi-fi antennas that now dot our neighborhoods. No one complains about them? How come they are not included in this article?
joe

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 14, 2009
Tomas Two wrote:
And of course these folks would be the first to complain if they didn't have cell service.
AMEN TO THAT
liner

Hicksville, NY

#10 Jul 15, 2009
If any of these people have any real, credible, verifiable evidence that cell towers are dangerous to the people that live around them, why can't we ever find that out? Seems like they keep repeating the same old internet drivel that gets forwarded to everyone's email.
Play Action Fake

Wallington, NJ

#11 Jul 15, 2009
Crazylegs Martin wrote:
Not so, Buckwheat. Verizon already has a tower on Fire Island. I live in Bayport and get crap cell service in my home, but I get great service on Fire Island.

I'm all for it.

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

Since: Aug 07

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#12 Jul 15, 2009
Plain Edge wrote:
An insult to flag, country and community?!?! Puhleeze!!
I laughed at that line too. Hanging the flag anywhere is an insult now? A bit over the top to say the least.....

I was eating at Flo's which is right at Corey Beach a couple of weeks ago. Cell coverage was awful. A tower would come in handy there, perhaps some place less conspicuous? I think that's the underlying concern with the residents more than health concerns....
OhWellSchitHappe ns

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jul 15, 2009
"Our concern is there are health hazards with these cell towers"

If you're so concerned about the towers, you might first want to know something about that phone you hold to your head all the time.
Friggin' idiots.
Francine

Cypress, TX

#14 Jul 15, 2009
no different then microwaves idiots... how about everyone give up their cellphones (that people can not live with) and then we dont have to hear the wining & crying about cell phone towers
Holtsville Jim

Watertown, CT

#15 Jul 15, 2009
NIMBY-ism at it's finest. Everyone demands seemless, 100 percent cell coverage but want nothing to do with the infrastructure that it requires. And how many of the people who have "health concerns" let their kids sit and play video games 6 hours a day? Jeez people, get a life.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#16 Jul 15, 2009
Very true get great cell service on fire island. Lots of dead spots in Byport.

Play Action Fake wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so, Buckwheat. Verizon already has a tower on Fire Island. I live in Bayport and get **** cell service in my home, but I get great service on Fire Island.
I'm all for it.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#17 Jul 15, 2009
The residents of BluePoint should be more concerned about the Illegal Invasion that takes place on that beach on nice sunny days.
Ed V

Richardson, TX

#18 Jul 15, 2009
The more affluent the area, the poorer the cell coverage.
Straight shooter

New York, NY

#19 Jul 15, 2009
I don't think the issue here is the cellphone tower being placed in Blue Point at all, but it's the fact that they are going to put it in the sight line of the beach that has everone up in arms. A perfectly good spot behind King Kullen on Montauk Highway was rejected by Verizon. Cell service would be no better in Bayport if the tower was right by the beach than by the store. But of course Newsday with their crack reporting team left that little detail out.
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#21 Jul 15, 2009
Straight shooter wrote:
I don't think the issue here is the cellphone tower being placed in Blue Point at all, but it's the fact that they are going to put it in the sight line of the beach that has everone up in arms. A perfectly good spot behind King Kullen on Montauk Highway was rejected by Verizon. Cell service would be no better in Bayport if the tower was right by the beach than by the store. But of course Newsday with their crack reporting team left that little detail out.
But if they're looking to boost Fire Islands signal, that would be too far away, no?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) Fri Ginger 16
Complaints against CPS, Supervising Judge David... (Dec '09) Dec 18 Scottu 56
Mother loses custody of daughters over 'House o... (Apr '07) Dec 14 Democracy 7
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) Dec 12 letelier 15
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Dec 10 Peter 1,360
Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough' (Mar '07) Oct '14 ExLIer 97
Debate: Drinking Age - Fire Island, NY Jul '14 Peter Cheeks 2
Fire Island Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web