letters

There are 4 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 23, 2008, titled letters. In it, Newsday reports that:

Good pay equals good cops for LI David North ["Good pay attracts elite cops," Opinion, Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

whyNY

Jersey City, NJ

#1 Jan 23, 2008
Can someone please tell me why the Giants are called the New York Giants? They have nothing to do with NY yet enjoy all of the marketing benifits of calling themselves a New York team. They moved, get used to it they are the New Jersey Giants and have been for a long time. It is time they stopped using the New York name for thier benefit.
Noticer

Bridgeport, CT

#2 Jan 23, 2008
You don't need to be prophet to know that the kind of long-sighted view Julius Rubin takes in his letter is dead on.

Everyone knows it.

As nations continue to gallop ahead in their consumption of the planet's dwindling supply of petroleum, the world's political/military forces are jockeying for control over it in a power play that will only cumulate in world war and result in unprecedented calamity as societies are denied the materials they've remained entirely dependent upon.

All this can be averted; our own nation unquestionably posseses the money, the technology, and the expertise to accomplish this. So what's missing?

The will to do it. So long as our nation is all but run by oil barons and military contractors, insufficient motivation will exist for our government to eliminate petroleum consumption and wars.

Our future and that of the whole world is being ransomed for the short-sighted pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Westfield, MA

#3 Jan 23, 2008
the letter re: the police officer who returned to l.i...."because of the high cost of living"...pray tell, as you look at your tax bill, what items reflect the greatest amount of taxation to be paid? oh, thats right, its the part having to do with the enormous salaries paid to the teachers, and, the equally high salaries paid to the police officer. both of which help, by far, to create this high cost of living. but, for both of those groups, in general, its a lot easier living on long island, the high cost of living area capital of the world, or close to it, drawing salaries of $90,000 and above, than it is for the vast majority who earn in the $50,000 and under group.
jj jr

Chattanooga, TN

#4 Jan 24, 2008
whyNY wrote:
Can someone please tell me why the Giants are called the New York Giants? They have nothing to do with NY yet enjoy all of the marketing benifits of calling themselves a New York team. They moved, get used to it they are the New Jersey Giants and have been for a long time. It is time they stopped using the New York name for thier benefit.
I agree whole heartedly! They are like leeches, They hold on to something that is no longer theirs! Namely the New York name! I hope others see this as what it is , a hijacking without compensation! Let's go Jersey Giants!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) 20 hr John Boy 61
Review: Sinderella's Sinderella's (May '15) Tue Rob 6
News Town of Islip OKs bonds for animal shelter, air... Mon charge the taxpayer 3
News Paying it forward Oct 10 trsh island 1
News Conflict holds up tax breaks for $5M Bay Shore ... Oct 10 rehab land 1
News Phil Boyle drops out of Suffolk sheriff's race Oct 10 cesspool 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Oct 9 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,491

Fire Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fire Island Mortgages