Horseshoe crab sting

Jun 3, 2007 Full story: Newsday.com 71

Each spring during the high tides of the new and full moons, horseshoe crabs line local shores to spawn. via Newsday.com

Full Story
New york

Flushing, NY

#41 Aug 17, 2011
We just found a horseshoe crab on the Virginia beach this morning while looking for sea shells. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up on this site and I have to say that you all r shot. I think it made me dumber reading these posts thank you!
Play With The Stinger

Medford, NY

#42 Aug 17, 2011
Tiffany Lynn wrote:
My boyfriend is fishing in the flats by Port Charlotte, FL. Toward the Gulf side and when I just called him, he said he steeped on a horse shoe crab and his foot is burning really bad. He does not care and is staying to fish the rest of the day. I am trying to figure out if this is serious or not.
Ah Yes, Port Charlotte Florida.
He DID NOT step on a horseshoe crab, he most likely stepped on a used hyperdermic needle.

“pffft”

Since: Jan 11

blue point.

#43 Aug 20, 2011
Horseshoe crabs are Clive Owens children.
Bayport Commons

Medford, NY

#44 Aug 22, 2011
OidiotO wrote:
Horseshoe crabs are Clive Owens children.
Holy crap he has alot of kids!!!!
melba

United States

#45 Aug 22, 2011
make crabby patties outa them
Maris Hilton

Medford, NY

#46 Aug 23, 2011
That's how Steve Irwin died (The Crocodile Hunter).

Watch out for those things!
Doris Randall - Lynn

Shippensburg, PA

#47 Aug 23, 2011
jessica cotton wrote:
how bad are horseshoe crab stings???
Interesting question. I grew up on Long Isloand andNEVER had a sting from a shorshoe crab. And we played with them all the
time as kids. Put them on our bellies, or
backs, let them crawl up our legs. I would be interested if
this has happened. I now live in another state and do not see
horseshoe crabs.. But I will be coming to Long Island soon
for a visit.
Long Island is a wonderful place to grow up.
Doris Randall (Lynn)
Doris Randall - Lynn

Shippensburg, PA

#48 Aug 23, 2011
jessica cotton wrote:
how bad are horseshoe crab stings???
Interesting question. I grew up on Long Isloand and
NEVER had a sting from a shorshoe crab. And we played
with them all the time as kids. Put them on our bellies,
or backs, let them crawl up our legs. I would be interested
if this has happened. I now live in another state and do
not see horseshoe crabs.. But I will be coming to Long
Island soon for a visit.
Doris Randall (Lynn)

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#49 Aug 23, 2011
Tiffany Lynn wrote:
My boyfriend is fishing in the flats by Port Charlotte, FL. Toward the Gulf side and when I just called him, he said he steeped on a horse shoe crab and his foot is burning really bad. He does not care and is staying to fish the rest of the day. I am trying to figure out if this is serious or not.
it is serious Tiff; he's staying out there because he met a smokin hot girl. The Horseshoe crab sting is one of the oldest BS tricks in the book. I'd get my a$$ out there at once

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#50 Aug 23, 2011
New york wrote:
We just found a horseshoe crab on the Virginia beach this morning while looking for sea shells. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up on this site and I have to say that you all r shot. I think it made me dumber reading these posts thank you!
The Horseshoe Crab was coming to shore because it felt an earthquake coming....see, you learned something today.
Ur an idiot

Houston, TX

#51 Dec 10, 2011
HarleyRider wrote:
<quoted text>
Horshoe crabs do sting, when someone goes to step on them (clearly not intentionally). I am NOT a marine biology major, but have lived near the water my entire life. I have gone clamming many times in the bay, walking around the flats, feeling for clams with my feet. While I have not witnessed someone stepping on one, I have seen first hand what it has done to a foot that has. I would assume that raising its tail would be its only means of self defense, but being a retard as you say, that is just an assumption. You may want to call Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip, and ask them if they've ever had to treat them.
YOU ARE A STUID B*TCH F*CK YOU GO TO HE'LL HORSE SHOE CRABS ARE HARMLESS YOU STUPID IDIOT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM
Raul

Phoenix, AZ

#52 Dec 11, 2011
DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
If only you knew after dark old chevys cruise your neighborhood packed with horseshoe crabs looking for someone to sting.
You are a stupid bitter sox fan, and they suck by the way, anyhow all a wimpy little coward like you ever does is go grab your rifle and shoot innocent kangaroos, you bloody poacher....
insert name here

Centereach, NY

#54 Sep 2, 2012
I don't know if they sting or not but I know first hand that if you step on the tail part or a spike; it'll hurt like hell. As far as I'm concerned, horseshoe crabs are pretty harmless. But if you live on long island (horseshoe crabs are everywhere) then you should never go out in the water at low tide. That's when they start to come around.
plotts

Huntington Station, NY

#55 Sep 3, 2012
Hoprseshoe crab fooey,real men get stung from sting rays,,,,hurts more than childbirth....not that i know anything about childbirth...but you suffer without the assistance of epideral...despite getting contactions in the effected limb....
plotts

Huntington Station, NY

#56 Sep 3, 2012
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
it is serious Tiff; he's staying out there because he met a smokin hot girl. The Horseshoe crab sting is one of the oldest BS tricks in the book. I'd get my a$$ out there at once
First I'd ask Tiff if she did any cheerleading then I'd offer a guiness and a concerned"I'm worried we need to talk"...No need in frightening that young lady....
plotts

Huntington Station, NY

#57 Sep 3, 2012
insert name here wrote:
I don't know if they sting or not but I know first hand that if you step on the tail part or a spike; it'll hurt like hell. As far as I'm concerned, horseshoe crabs are pretty harmless. But if you live on long island (horseshoe crabs are everywhere) then you should never go out in the water at low tide. That's when they start to come around.
I know first hand, you're full of BS...
plotts

Huntington Station, NY

#58 Sep 3, 2012
Doris Randall - Lynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting question. I grew up on Long Isloand and
NEVER had a sting from a shorshoe crab. And we played
with them all the time as kids. Put them on our bellies,
or backs, let them crawl up our legs. I would be interested
if this has happened. I now live in another state and do
not see horseshoe crabs.. But I will be coming to Long
Island soon for a visit.
Doris Randall (Lynn)
MY KIND OF GIRL..
Would you like to share your crabs with me?..when you come visit long island
Biatch

Brooklyn, NY

#59 Jul 10, 2013
Listen... I grew up on Long Island my whole life... Horseshoe crabs are every where... Fisherman have been using them for bait forever!! There was never a limit on how many you could have! But once the D.E.C seen that people were selling them and making money... Regulations and limits are now on them... It's all about money!! D.E.C could give a sh@t about them.. They just don't want to see people make money!!! It's a freaking joke!!
Andrew Lundstrom

New York, NY

#60 Jul 27, 2013
Biatch wrote:
Listen... I grew up on Long Island my whole life... Horseshoe crabs are every where... Fisherman have been using them for bait forever!! There was never a limit on how many you could have! But once the D.E.C seen that people were selling them and making money... Regulations and limits are now on them... It's all about money!! D.E.C could give a sh@t about them.. They just don't want to see people make money!!! It's a freaking joke!!
Ok first off, I have to agree with the marine biologist from the first page. I'm in the same field and I have been work/studying horse crabs for past year and a half. They DO NOT Sting nor do they have a defensive mechanism with their tail. The tail is used an a guide while navigating the ocean floor, they also use it to flip themselves back over (idk maybe that can be considered defense) and it is part of the 10 eyes there are photorecptors on the tail which helps them to tell when new moon and full moon are present for spawning season. Only way some can lose their foot is if they get puncture wound from the tail and they don't get it treated and cleaned of bacteria and any open wound is susceptible to infection. The have no venom or toxins. They do have blue blood on the other had which is VERY important to our medical pharmaceutical industry. This leads in to what the last guy said about D. E. C. That is not true at all. Limits and regulations have been put in place because there population has been going down by 1% each year. And they have being over fished for a long time now people who have no concern for the environment drive up to beach with trucks and load there trucks up with them these dirt bags make 2-4 bucks a crab an can easily find 1000 at a time during spawning. An from research it shows that the crabs come back to the same waters beaches to lay there eggs each summer. And from monitoring these numbers have been decreased over past years as well. The pharmaceutical companies need there blood to test new medication on because there blood coagulate with a gram negative of bacteria so they test it on their blood to make sure it's safe for us. And to get there blood no death is necessary it's like a normal blood donation that humans give. After the blood is collected the HSC are released back to water. And I'm glad those two guys got caught 2 weeks ago for illegal taking of 1500 crabs. I don't know what fishermen don't understand stand if they weren't greedy in the first place there wouldn't be all the regulations there are now. But no ever one wants to go for the big bucks and not think about the future problems they will cause.
I give up

Denver, NC

#61 Jul 27, 2013
I am at a loss for words. With all the cr=p going on in this country with the IRS, Bengahzi, NSA, and last but not least the Florida situation, we get all excited about crabs. Most of this entire NY forum discusses the Yankees, Mets, NBA, who is who and a pile of other garbage while Rome is burning. Have we decided to let the country collapse and our society go to the dogs? Yes other thing are important to us, but we ignore or do not want to see the things that will destroy us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 10 hr postcranium 6,469
Cops: East Patchogue man arrested in sex abuse ... 12 hr patchogue resident 1
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 6,391
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 28 Jeff 16,795
Arrest made in Wyandanch street fight shooting (Apr '07) Sep 25 auce 128
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Sep 24 veronica 1,119
Fire Island Dating
Find my Match

Fire Island Jobs

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fire Island News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fire Island

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]