Thursday's West Islip Board of Ed Agenda

Feb 14, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

The West Islip School Board of Education will hold its montly meeting on Thursday at 8 p.m. at West Islip High School.

Comments
161 - 180 of 260 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2013
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#165
Feb 26, 2013
 
about time wrote:
I also agree with this comment. Why do you think that there are so many turncoats these days? Why? The turncoats have figured it out that they can't fight city hall, so they turn their coats inside out and start wearing the "make peace not war side". It doesn't matter if they compromise all their principles to do this, it's just a matter of not wanting to be the perennial complainer.
Very few people push back, very few people stand up for their rights and fight for the truth and for justice. Sadly it is the 'THEM VS. US' battle, and each day we lose a few to the "if you can't beat em, join em" crowd.
Part of me doesn't blame them completely, it's not normal to have to live your life constantly fighting to hold these people accountable, it's down right exhausting, so it's understandable to a degree. Sometimes you just have to walk away, to regroup, but then, when you return, don't return a different person, do come back a turncoat, come back ever vigilant and ready to hold these people accountable. They shouldn't be there if they end up morphing into a BOE zombie, unrecognizable from the rest. Each member of the BOE is supposed to sit there in the position of doing the bidding of the tax payers. I've heard it's a thankless job. Interesting that word, thankless. Save for a few BOE trustees that have come and gone, a one or two still there, it's hard to find anything about the decisions made over the past (in their name) to be thankful for.
There is a puppeteer among them, who does hold the strings, but he can be fired (wishful thinking) yet his power over them is beyond measure to put it lightly. Will this town ever wake up, or will it always be about the power of the few over the minions? The people must decide.
It isnt about being a turncoat. I dont think the south shore deal is the one we need to be worried about. To me the Atlantic Auto Mall deal is the one that stinks and everyone just wants to hate Ann Marie and anything that has to do with her so that is what they are focusing on.
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#166
Feb 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Who gets to decide which issue stinks more, me, you? Hate is your word, it's a strong word. Dislike is a better choice, and plenty of people dislike Obama too. He is still right there in the WH doing what he's doing. I am sure that you are aware that elected officials whether state, federal or local (all politics is local of course) are exposed to the criticisms of the constituency. It comes with the territory. It's one of the first things you are aware of before you get elected to a governing body. The job of an elected official must always be scrutinized, put under a microscope, and they must always be held to accountability.
Anyone who doesn't appreciate that, who doesn't understand that, needs to go back to high school and take a course on government.
These BOE people are making huge and impactful decisions, and like throwing a pebble into a pond, the wake, the consequences, are far reaching.
BOE people are given a lot of power and must deal with millions of tax payers dollars, the likes of which perhaps they just aren't all qualified to handle.
It's a huge issue for Long Islanders right now. The way we run our school districts over the past several decades has been like a train wreck out of control. These are governments run amuck!
reality

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#167
Feb 26, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> It isnt about being a turncoat. I dont think the south shore deal is the one we need to be worried about. To me the Atlantic Auto Mall deal is the one that stinks and everyone just wants to hate Ann Marie and anything that has to do with her so that is what they are focusing on.
Ahhhh, but there is SO MUCH TO HATE about how she's ruined our town for her own financial gain.
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#168
Feb 26, 2013
 

Judged:

3

reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh, but there is SO MUCH TO HATE about how she's ruined our town for her own financial gain.
George Washington would not be proud. Our governments were never meant to be filled with opportunists or ego maniacs. Get in, do some good if you can, then get out! Career politicians was never what George envisioned and for good reason. Look around our town, every club and organization is only run by a few, the same old and tired leadership, old ideas, questionable alliances and questionable practices. I hate that type of leadership and government.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#169
Feb 26, 2013
 
about time wrote:
Who gets to decide which issue stinks more, me, you? Hate is your word, it's a strong word. Dislike is a better choice, and plenty of people dislike Obama too. He is still right there in the WH doing what he's doing. I am sure that you are aware that elected officials whether state, federal or local (all politics is local of course) are exposed to the criticisms of the constituency. It comes with the territory. It's one of the first things you are aware of before you get elected to a governing body. The job of an elected official must always be scrutinized, put under a microscope, and they must always be held to accountability.
Anyone who doesn't appreciate that, who doesn't understand that, needs to go back to high school and take a course on government.
These BOE people are making huge and impactful decisions, and like throwing a pebble into a pond, the wake, the consequences, are far reaching.
BOE people are given a lot of power and must deal with millions of tax payers dollars, the likes of which perhaps they just aren't all qualified to handle.
It's a huge issue for Long Islanders right now. The way we run our school districts over the past several decades has been like a train wreck out of control. These are governments run amuck!
THEN VOTE THEM OUT! The turn out at elections is PATHETIC. And if you dont think that Atlantic deal stinks then YOU are the one that needs to go back to HS.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170
Feb 26, 2013
 
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh, but there is SO MUCH TO HATE about how she's ruined our town for her own financial gain.
Hate her all you want and think that she is gaining millions from us but THAT IS NOT TRUE. You can see the dissolution of partnership FOR YOURSELF that proves she is not making one dime off of it. THIS IS WHY you should focus your energy elsewhere.....Do we need ANOTHER turf field........We NEED a lot of things and another turf field should not be the priority.
Dr Remulach

Deer Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#171
Feb 26, 2013
 
about time wrote:
I also agree with this comment. Why do you think that there are so many turncoats these days? Why? The turncoats have figured it out that they can't fight city hall, so they turn their coats inside out and start wearing the "make peace not war side". It doesn't matter if they compromise all their principles to do this, it's just a matter of not wanting to be the perennial complainer.
Very few people push back, very few people stand up for their rights and fight for the truth and for justice. Sadly it is the 'THEM VS. US' battle, and each day we lose a few to the "if you can't beat em, join em" crowd.
Part of me doesn't blame them completely, it's not normal to have to live your life constantly fighting to hold these people accountable, it's down right exhausting, so it's understandable to a degree. Sometimes you just have to walk away, to regroup, but then, when you return, don't return a different person, do come back a turncoat, come back ever vigilant and ready to hold these people accountable. They shouldn't be there if they end up morphing into a BOE zombie, unrecognizable from the rest. Each member of the BOE is supposed to sit there in the position of doing the bidding of the tax payers. I've heard it's a thankless job. Interesting that word, thankless. Save for a few BOE trustees that have come and gone, a one or two still there, it's hard to find anything about the decisions made over the past (in their name) to be thankful for.
There is a puppeteer among them, who does hold the strings, but he can be fired (wishful thinking) yet his power over them is beyond measure to put it lightly. Will this town ever wake up, or will it always be about the power of the few over the minions? The people must decide.
isn't that why they have the unions you love to hate so that they have protection when they stand up to protest
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#172
Feb 26, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> THEN VOTE THEM OUT! The turn out at elections is PATHETIC. And if you dont think that Atlantic deal stinks then YOU are the one that needs to go back to HS.
I want you to show me where I say that the Atlantic deal doesn't stink? Which makes the rest of your comment senseless. Both stink, stink, stink, stink, stink! You don't get to decide which stinks more!
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#173
Feb 26, 2013
 
Dr Remulach wrote:
<quoted text>
isn't that why they have the unions you love to hate so that they have protection when they stand up to protest
I am not Glenn, but I have to say, you certainly have a huge viagra hard on for him. Take some viagra before you go to your next BOE meeting and let see what happens.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#174
Feb 26, 2013
 
about time wrote:
<quoted text>
I want you to show me where I say that the Atlantic deal doesn't stink? Which makes the rest of your comment senseless. Both stink, stink, stink, stink, stink! You don't get to decide which stinks more!
I am not saying I get to decide. You have to decide for yourself. But have all the information when you do decide and the fact is that the dissolution of partnership is there for anyone who wants to see it and that document proves Annmarie is making NOTHING off of this deal.
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#175
Feb 26, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> I am not saying I get to decide. You have to decide for yourself. But have all the information when you do decide and the fact is that the dissolution of partnership is there for anyone who wants to see it and that document proves Annmarie is making NOTHING off of this deal.
Making NOTHING off this deal, may be true, may be. This school district is not an elected persons play ground. I am reminded of another BOE trustee who spoke about "his personal vision for the district".
These people find themselves in the drivers seat and very often they forget that it's not about them!
I've seen self help, family help, and egos for way too long. Someone once said, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's a moral judgement call. There is no secret to this one, psst...you have to have morals to begin with.
west islip

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#176
Feb 26, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> Hate her all you want and think that she is gaining millions from us but THAT IS NOT TRUE. You can see the dissolution of partnership FOR YOURSELF that proves she is not making one dime off of it. THIS IS WHY you should focus your energy elsewhere.....Do we need ANOTHER turf field........We NEED a lot of things and another turf field should not be the priority.
Did you see the dissolution papers or did a 3rd party see them and then tell you about them? be honest.
born day before yesterday

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#177
Feb 26, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> I am not saying I get to decide. You have to decide for yourself. But have all the information when you do decide and the fact is that the dissolution of partnership is there for anyone who wants to see it and that document proves Annmarie is making NOTHING off of this deal.
Wait, where are these so-called papers for anyone to see? They weren't in w/the agenda for the BOE meeting and not on the district's website. If it's on the upandup why make residents search and beg to see the docs? shut everyone up by posting them on the district's website.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#178
Feb 26, 2013
 
west islip wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the dissolution papers or did a 3rd party see them and then tell you about them? be honest.
They were at the meeting. Did I pick them up and scrutinize them - no. But they are there. YOU can see them if you ask to..........That you can see them if you ask to is enough for me because having a kid in that school I KNOW that it is dissolved and dont feel the need to scrutinize documents. But YOU can if it will make you feel better.

And yes I agree. Politicians dont always have OUR best interests at heart. Maybe they start out that way but it quickly becomes apparent that the ones who want to truly help have their hands tied........It is all total and complete BS and what really needs to happen is that the ENTIRE system gets an overhaul. But we would need a revolution to do that and guess what --- no one cares enough to get up from behind their computer and stop their bitching to start one. I saw a great bumper sticker in DC and it said STOP BITCHING START A REVOLUTION and that was the best thing I ever saw. But it will never happen because of the laziness and apathy all over.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#179
Feb 26, 2013
 
FOIL it
Dr Remulach

Deer Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180
Feb 26, 2013
 
about time wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not Glenn, but I have to say, you certainly have a huge viagra hard on for him. Take some viagra before you go to your next BOE meeting and let see what happens.
who said you were glenn
Goodnight Irene

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#181
Feb 27, 2013
 
Dr Remulach wrote:
<quoted text>
who said you were glenn
Dr, I thought the same thing! I didn't read Glenn in that post but the mention of his name indicates that silly season is upon us. I think Glenn is busy though, I hear he needs to find a good lawyer for his wife. Know anyone? Hahahahaha.
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#182
Feb 27, 2013
 
Goodnight Irene wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr, I thought the same thing! I didn't read Glenn in that post but the mention of his name indicates that silly season is upon us. I think Glenn is busy though, I hear he needs to find a good lawyer for his wife. Know anyone? Hahahahaha.
Stop speaking to yourself, we see you do enough of that at the BOE meetings, texting on your I-phone. Lot's of viagra!
about time

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#183
Feb 27, 2013
 
Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text> They were at the meeting. Did I pick them up and scrutinize them - no. But they are there. YOU can see them if you ask to..........That you can see them if you ask to is enough for me because having a kid in that school I KNOW that it is dissolved and dont feel the need to scrutinize documents. But YOU can if it will make you feel better.
And yes I agree. Politicians dont always have OUR best interests at heart. Maybe they start out that way but it quickly becomes apparent that the ones who want to truly help have their hands tied........It is all total and complete BS and what really needs to happen is that the ENTIRE system gets an overhaul. But we would need a revolution to do that and guess what --- no one cares enough to get up from behind their computer and stop their bitching to start one. I saw a great bumper sticker in DC and it said STOP BITCHING START A REVOLUTION and that was the best thing I ever saw. But it will never happen because of the laziness and apathy all over.
"That you can see them if you ask to is enough for me because having a kid in that school I KNOW that it is dissolved and don't feel the need to scrutinize documents."
What? What?
Oh man, I've heard it all! I think you probably sucked in EVIDENCE class.
Terry

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#184
Feb 27, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

It's foolishness to think that any of us can understand the inner workings of the administration and the inner workings and dealings of the BOE. I see many of these comments and wonder if any of you really know what you're talking about and if so, where do you get your wisdom from? What could you possibly know about any of these financial decisions and educational decisions if you are not on the inside with the actual facts and details? What experience do you have, how knowledgable can you be? Because you come to meetings gives you intimate details about the issues in front of the BOE and the administration?
Do you know why the BOE goes into executive session? There is more to what they have to do than what meets the eyes of the constituency. None of us are informed about the WHOLE PICTURE and it's a joke to think that we are.
They have very inside knowledge that will not be shared with any of us, they must make many decisions based on the information they are given, and with the consensus of the body they are among. So it's complicated, it's ambiguous, it's definitely time consuming and you have to be very dedicated to stay there in these positions all these years.
All of us are feeling our way in the darkness, and when I read much of this stuff I feel like I am watching the wizard of oz. Cowardly lions, tin men, scarecrows, and Dorothy, clueless and confused.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fire Island News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fire Island
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••