Moving To Patchogue ?
ExLIer

Glasgow, KY

#2 Oct 9, 2014
Ahahahaha!!!!!

Moving to Patchogue from Hawaii would be like moving to Hell from Beverly Hills!

Why is it so expensive? Because anyone who'd stay on an island and pay $10K a year in property taxes to live in a place that is only one step above an inner-city slum, are fools- and NY is full of fools.

Can you walk to the Ocean? LOL!!!!!

You can walk to the bay- which is usally stagnant and smelly; and filled with boats and jet-skis like the Long Island Expressway is filled with cars at rush hour.

Manhattan quickly? What is your idea of "quickly"? A little over an hour's drive WHEN THERE'S NO TRAFFIC. If you work normal hours, it'll be at least a 2 hour drive, each way. Long Island Railroad will take an hour and a half off-peak, if you're lucky- and I believe a monthly ticket from Patched-up-ogue is over $400 now.

It's nice that you're willing to help Granny- but you'll be living in Hell and paying top dollar to do so.

Long Island was nice years ago, but there's nothing good about it now. Anyone with any brains has already left the Island- all that's left are non-English-speakers and union-monkeys.

BE WARNED!

The Long Island City-Data forum is a good place to get more info/advice and ask questions.
ExLIer

Glasgow, KY

#3 Oct 9, 2014
PS: You may be able to wealk to the ferry, which will take youto Fire Island, where you can walk to the ocean. If you don't mind all the restrictions on the beaches on LI- such as: No dogs; no smoking; no complaining when the cops beat your ass.....
ExLIer

Glasgow, KY

#4 Oct 9, 2014
City Data: Long Island Forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-island/
ExLIer

Glasgow, KY

#6 Oct 29, 2014
Jon Barnes wrote:
Ex-lier, thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated. Sorry for the delay, we've been trying to figure things out.

Wow! Patchogue looks like a total hell hole! You were right. The place seems simply awful, but the people seem even worse!

We've settled on a quaint little town called Mastic Beach, just a few miles east. We couldn't believe the cost of living could be so low, so close to the ocean! Also looked like tons of places to eat there. I'm sure we'll hardly notice that we're not in Hawaii anymore!

- Thanks again,
Jon! NOOooooo!!!!!! Please tell me that was a joke; that you think Mastic is a quaint little town, and that you'll be settling there!

C'mon....don't give me heart failure!!!!~

Just in case you're serious:

There's a reason Mastic is so cheap!!!!!

It's the white-trash capital of LI!

Suffolk County Welfare/Social Services stated dumping welfare people and mental cases there over 40 years ago- and that quickly became the demographic that built the area- and from which Mastic has never recovered. Mastic is the white version of Wyandanch[Crimedanch]

Compared to Mastic, even Patchogue doesn't look so bad.....

If you want a nice area, 10 minutes from Patchogue, try Holbrook. It's not on the water....but if you have to live on LI, and in close vicinity to Patchogue, and cost is a factor...you can't have everything. Also, Bayport; Bluepoint; parts of Medford and parts of Holtsville and Farmingville are all convenient to Patchogue, and pretty decent.

Hope this helps...and good luck [But PLEASE, for the love of God, don't go to Mastic!!!]
current longislander

Bellmore, NY

#7 Oct 31, 2014
Don't listen to him about Patchogue.
current longislander

Bellmore, NY

#8 Oct 31, 2014
This guy is a looser who probably didn't work hard enough to live here. I bought a house here in Patchogue a few years ago. Best move I ever made, tons of history, great restaurants and nightlife, shopping, a ferry ride from fire island, etc. I'm 35, own my house, a boat, two cars a wife, dog, an cat. I support it all on one job and one salary. You know why???? Cause I work hard. This other looser sounds like he never made more than 30k a year..... Btw my taxes are only 5500 a year, but look where we live. Four seasons to enjoy, a short ride to virtually anything you can think of, international air ports, national parks, some of the best hospitals in the world, etc. your both teachers, obviously worked hard to get where you are, trust me Patchogue is where you want to be, deft not mastic, not even Holbrook..... It nice and all, but nothing like Patchogue has to offer. My guess is this guy actually lives ere in Patchogue, an doesn't want anyone else to move in. One more thing, getting a job teaching on Li is getting near impossible.
current longislander

Bellmore, NY

#9 Oct 31, 2014
Gamaliel
City in Kentucky
Gamaliel is a 6th-class city in Monroe County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 376 at the 2010 census, this was a decline from 439 in 2000........ Love it. 6th class, lol so good people are leaving hahahahha
ExLIer

Glasgow, KY

#10 Oct 31, 2014
who="current longIslander"]Gamaliel
City in Kentucky
Gamaliel is a 6th-class city in Monroe County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 376 at the 2010 census, this was a decline from 439 in 2000........ Love it. 6th class, lol so good people are leaving hahahahha
Yep! I love it, too! I own 28 park-like acres free and clear, and my property taxes are under $300 a year [that's three HUNDRED]. Enjoy your life there in Little Mexico/Harlem III, where your property taxes are $10K a year; you pay an additional income tax for the "privilege" of living in that dump; and where you will get a fine for having a puddle in your driveway, while some crackhead from Dunton Ave. breaks into your garage. Me? I have better things to spend my money and time on.(Like learning about IP locations for one thing- LOL- I'm not even in the same county as the stated IP location. Idiot.)[My county has even less people!]

Oh, yeah, Patched-up-ogue may look nicer, since they spent all of your tax money on new fancy red brick sidewalks and fancy lampposts; a new bar or two opened- as is the case every 30 years or so when they do the "downtown revitalization" thing- and then a year later it's back to the way it's always been, until the next little spruce-up. Enjoy all the new high-density Queens-style housing projects too, downtown. Oh what? You reside in one? Big surprise there!
current longislander

Bellmore, NY

#11 Oct 31, 2014
Listen man, I'm sure you've undoubtedly found it difficult to live on Long Island so you left. Great..... You found some place in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. You shouldn't deter people who obviously have good work ethic from living on a place as beautiful as Long Island. I live here in Patchogue and think what they're doing is amazing. They're revitalizing the whole place. I also live In an actual house on a piece of property bigger than I care to even maintain like I should. Not a 300 k apartment right in town.....but instead a really modest home. I agree long islands taxes are high, but compare education systems here to Kentucky...... Those things cost money....most of our taxes.,..... Schools. We also have twice the population of your whole state. And it's supply and demand..... Only so much space here on Long Island so get it while you can. Pay a premium to live in one of the most constantly changing, growing, amazing places to live in the world. I just said it again this this year...... Let me paint you a picture....... The boat I own is kept just five minutes from here, so I drive over, start it up and cruise on over to some of the most amazing water you've ever seen. It's just 15 minutes from where I keep the boat. Beige sugar sand and crystal clear turquoise water..... Old bay men telling stories of having never seen the water in the great South Bay this clean in 75 years..... They're talking like when they were 10 yr old kids.....old inlet blew open and the bay can filter out again. The place is just gonna get better, don't discourage people from chasing down their dreams and then living them. Btw, I only make about 90k a year......
Peter Bamboli

Warwick, RI

#12 Jul 19, 2017
Can someone please tell me which one of the above gentlemen is telling the truth?

I googled "moving to patchogue", and found this. I'm considering moving there, but am confused by the contradictory information.
Keith Hackney

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 10, 2017
Is Patchogue really a dangerous slum? I got offered a job transfer from Chicago, but am tentative because it's more expensive to live in Patchogue! Seems overpriced for being so far from NYC, especially if it's actually a slum. Please advise.
bigace618

Tampa, FL

#14 Dec 26, 2017
Keith Hackney wrote:
Is Patchogue really a dangerous slum? I got offered a job transfer from Chicago, but am tentative because it's more expensive to live in Patchogue! Seems overpriced for being so far from NYC, especially if it's actually a slum. Please advise.
Left Patchogue 20 yars ago. At that time we were paying 6, ooo.oo dollars a year to live in the village on a piece of property only 50 x150 feet. R
bigace618

Tampa, FL

#15 Dec 26, 2017
Keith Hackney wrote:
Read up on police blotters, dui, robberies, car thefts accidents have all risen in statistics. Reason, moder ization or if you prefer revitalization of village that were created by deep pocket localpoliticians. All you need to see how these politicians salaries have increased from inheritance from developers have made them happy. Restaurants and beer halls do not make a village. Think twice, make it think thrice. No grudges, loved Patchogue, lived there for 40 years before evacuating. Still have family there and still enjoy visiting.
Keith Hackney

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 28, 2017
bigace618 wrote:
<quoted text>

Read up on police blotters, dui, robberies, car thefts accidents have all risen in statistics. Reason, moder ization or if you prefer revitalization of village that were created by deep pocket localpoliticians. All you need to see how these politicians salaries have increased from inheritance from developers have made them happy. Restaurants and beer halls do not make a village. Think twice, make it think thrice. No grudges, loved Patchogue, lived there for 40 years before evacuating. Still have family there and still enjoy visiting.
I did some more research, you're right! I can't believe it's so expensive to live in such a terrible place. I will NOT be transferring there. Thank you for your help!
Move

Patchogue, NY

#17 Feb 18, 2018
I just moved to E. Patchogue and it is lovely. Quiet, beautiful landscape, great beaches, great fishing, lots to do, excellent services, great shopping and inexpensive!! PS - NO SNOW!!!! One big snow and that was all.
Only The Loony

New York, NY

#18 Feb 20, 2018
Move wrote:
I just moved to E. Patchogue and it is lovely. Quiet, beautiful landscape, great beaches, great fishing, lots to do, excellent services, great shopping and inexpensive!! PS - NO SNOW!!!! One big snow and that was all.
So, where did you move from, Detroit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) Sun Trae Wilson 82
News No date set for reopening of pool at Brentwood ... Oct 9 Buster Gutt 16
News Opal Construction sues Town of Babylon over app... Oct 7 Justice12 2
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Oct 1 Terrell 1,546
Fire Island Aug '18 Strawberry Zachary 3
News Islip homeowners back in court after failing to... (Jan '18) Jan '18 Fubar 3
Fire Island Music Thread (Nov '17) Nov '17 Musikologist 1

Fire Island Jobs

Personal Finance

Fire Island Mortgages