Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough'

Full story: Newsday

Patchogue Mayor Paul Pontieri is helping his village find something he says it lost 20 years ago -- its identity as a place, not just a handful of destinations.
Comments
81 - 93 of 93 Comments Last updated Aug 15, 2011
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lynn of Ctr Moriches

AOL

#94 May 28, 2007
Swezey always had 70% off sales and wer very much in style. But having moved away in 2000, and visited back every 2 years hence, I sadly found out that Fantasyland closed its doors in December 2006. That was a fixture of the area. What is there now?
Born and raised in Patch

Oakdale, NY

#95 Aug 3, 2007
ETR wrote:
It's not going to change overnight people. Let's see what it looks like in a couple of years.
A few years!!! I've got 40 yrs there. It is a sh!thole. Once the illegals move in that's it. They are like coachroaches. I am surrounded. I held out hope and now I'm the last citizen in my neighborhood. Patchogue used to boast 'The Largest Shopping Area in Suffolk County', now it's just a place to buy a house and rent out. Yes they are cleaning up to bring business in but what about the residents, the home owners who actually occupy their homes. The ones who pay the taxes. They/we pay the price.
Resident

Huntington, NY

#96 Sep 11, 2007
Patchogue Is A great place to live if you A crimnal or illegal. Try calling the cops Thay don't come.Try to walk down the street You will get hit. Try to sleep with the BLASTING raidos and the sound of smashing glass.In short
Patchogue Sucks.
jake

Newark, NJ

#98 Sep 21, 2008
listen patchogue isnt the best town in the world ill give you that but it isnt a terrible town. i feel safe walking down the street alone at night which is a big statement considering what kind of world we live in today. you never really hear about drive-bys murders big drug busts or nothin like that and main street isnt so bad theres some pretty cool stuff to see the big Gothic style church the library is nice and the live after five thats great fun for me at least i get to see the bands and the fun stuff there. but at the same time (this will kind of contradict what i said earlier) i think part of the reason patchogue is kind of rutty is because theres nothin for the kids to do there are no skate parks or malls near by im not sure if we even have one of those youth centers. so the kids get bored and they start doin dumb shit tagging doin drugs all that when they grow up they end up the same way just doin dumb shit. i think its a money issue too its too damn expensive to live in this town also theres no money and the worse part is nobady tries to do any rallys or fundraisers no one really treis to help the town.
Sara Rosario

United States

#99 Sep 21, 2008
I grew up on the border line of Patchogue & meford what a hell hole and Arm Pit of America both towns are.

We alway has a smell in Patchogue that was like a sewer gas smell in the summer. LIPA was always looking for a gas leak on Main St in Patchogue but they said it was Ol natural smell in Patchogue from the bay.
Sara Rosario

United States

#100 Sep 21, 2008
Bottom line: Patchoue is a trailer park with out wheels.

And I can vouch since I lived there for 25 years.

I would rater live in the Bronx
Jack

Manorville, NY

#101 Oct 29, 2008
Where are these so called slums in Patchgue? Have you ever seen a real slum? What a shit for brains.You probable still live with your parents
Jack

Manorville, NY

#102 Oct 29, 2008
The Bronx theres alovely little place Crack -----s Junkies gang bangers try walking the street at night there,Killed for Ipod. always in the news.
Jack

Manorville, NY

#103 Oct 29, 2008
If people went to fantasyland it would be still there.fake flowers common
Bonacker

Port Washington, NY

#104 Oct 30, 2008
Patchogue is a very neat town. The fact that there are people trashing it on here shows you why it has maintained so much history and character compared to other towns on LI. It couldve become some town like in western Suffolk stripped of its history and filled with tacky franchises and strip malls. Sure, if you leave the village on east Main St. there is a dollar store and a few bodegas. Who cares? I live in East Hampton and go to Patchogue to meet up with friends about once a month.
CONNIE IN KENTUCKY

Leitchfield, KY

#105 Dec 6, 2009
It's a shame,what Iam reading,I use to live in Patchogue,my children were born there.It was such a wonderful place what happened?Sounds like someones trying to improve what went wrong.I Hope he's successful.
spbto patchogue

Bronx, NY

#106 May 28, 2010
patchogue does indeed suck! i live in the village i know all to well about the beaner problem, but that is just part of what sucks about patchogue, check this out, today i find out that the 4th of july parade this year has a theem of feed the children, now not to hate on the kids BUT HELLO, THE 4TH OF JULY says it all. isnt the theem freedom? is the birth of our nation not enough of a good reason to have a parade and celibrate, shame on the lions and this village. patchogue first, tax payers last you suck.
Coram Rules

Medford, NY

#107 Aug 15, 2011
"diamond in the rough"???....yeah, REAL rough......lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Mastic Beach woman, Julieann Klopfer, d... 6 hr hoodo 5
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) 19 hr Austrian Expat 439
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Mon Who are trying to... 6,413
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Mon Vee 1,338
Gay Friendly Sayville? Aug 30 Uncle Reamus 2
Review: Ilopango Restaurant Aug 29 james 1
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Aug 29 Lol 16,779
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fire Island News, Events & Info