Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough'

Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough'

There are 95 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 25, 2007, titled Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough'. In it, Newsday reports that:

Patchogue Mayor Paul Pontieri is helping his village find something he says it lost 20 years ago -- its identity as a place, not just a handful of destinations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

ETR

Hopatcong, NJ

#74 Mar 28, 2007
The word that is **** out is the word w-h-o-r-e.
guy

Rye, NY

#75 Mar 28, 2007
LkfromLI wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy Sayville and its superior town, school districts,home values, and 93.5% whire residents.
Tell me what Medford has to offer?
As being in law enforcement, as an insider, Sayville has a gigantic drug problem. Not many people hear of the rampant issues surrounding that community.
Ask any judge or court personal.
Big Bad Bob

Woods Cross, UT

#76 Mar 28, 2007
As a former LIer, I am sorry to say that, IMO, Long Island - as a whole - is on the decline.

Towns that were considered, nice, "decent" places to live are now borderline slums - or have had a t least part of their town - turn into a slum.

Examples - Medford, Coram, Mastic, Shirley, Bellport, Amityville, Patchogue, Bay Shore, Islip, Copaigue, Middle Island, Ridge, Port Jeff Station, Huntington Station, Levittown, New Hyde Park, Hampton Bays, Riverhead...

There are probably more if I sat around and thought hard about it.

In all honesty, I would have to admit that Sayville is one of the nicer towns left; not including, of course, "rich" places like Belle Terre or parts of the Hamptons, Muttontown, etc.

And those throwing in the whole "gay" issue are issing an important point:

Never seen ANY evidence or examples where gays in your community will bring down property values, raise crime or welfare rates, or even keep shabby homes. Arguably they are probably even good for a community in terms of income levels, and things like that (apologize for talking about them like they were cattle or something...)

Worst part of all this, though, is the strangling effect the combo of overpriced housing, high utlilty costs and waaaaaaaaay excessive taxation that has forced many of the so-called "middle class" to leave for greener pastures.

In my case, my current home here outside SLC is over 3650 sq ft finished (plus another 1575 in the unfinished basement) that cost me all of 230K brand new. Total property taxes are under $1400 / year. My 'city' utility bill, consisting of electric + water + sewer + trash pickup is less than 1/2 my old LIPA bill - and I have DUAL HVAC (2 central A/C units, one for each floor) here and I did NOT have ANY A/C in my former LI home!

Gas is about 50 cents / gal cheaper. Cigarettes are $3 a pack less. Meat runs about $2 / lb. less (depending on the cut); milk is $2 a gallon, only thing same price is produce.

Oh, and BTW, my job here pays about $15K more than the SAME job I left behind on LI 4 years ago (so much for that stuff about making less money...)

If I sound like I am bragging, I apologize. I am just trying to illustrate the differences in "quality of life" items outside of LI.

Most unbiased people will tell you that I am being accurate on the figures.

I do feel bad for those "left behind" on LI. And - to be honest - if you had told me 10 years ago that I would be better off leaving LI, I would have probably made some smart-ass comments about you 'not being able to make it on the Island, that's why you left'- or something of that sort.

At least Long Islanders are not alone in their troubles. Very similiar situation in parts of California. People basically getting raped by home prices, taxes, utility costs, immigration problems, crime, gangs, etc... all the while excusing it away by saying "...yeah, but I get to live in California!" like it is some kind of magical place.

Nice to visit, but waaaay overrated as a place to live and raise a family.

It is with regret that I have to say I see the same thing happening to Long Island. Sorry...
redneck please

Wellesley, MA

#77 Mar 29, 2007
But Bob... you live in Utah.. home of the meth-mouth.

Now, go slap your sister in the ass and enjoy the 50 off the gas.
Micro

Port Washington, NY

#78 Mar 29, 2007
guy wrote:
<quoted text> As being in law enforcement, as an insider, Sayville has a gigantic drug problem. Not many people hear of the rampant issues surrounding that community.
Ask any judge or court personal.
Almost all towns on Long Island have nice parts and not so nice parts. Sayville included. Didn't a guy in a nice part of Sayville bust into his neighbors apartment, hold a gun to head saying he was going to kill her, then go back to his house where his wife shot herself in the head? This happened 2 weeks ago. See below if your memory fails you, Newsday also did a story on it. The bottom line is no town or village is immune to bad things happening.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/pressrelea...
Micro

Port Washington, NY

#79 Mar 29, 2007
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because you don't see too many mexican homosexuals. People don't call it Gayville for nothing.
Haha, don't you realize that some gays coming to the community It's a good thing? Home values and appearance goes up, among other things. They usually have money and care about the appearance of a community. Medford isn't a bad place to live, but certainly isn't great. It's got the same demographics as Lindenhurst. Mostly white and working class but that usually means lots of petty crimes, especially as more minorities move in.
ETR

New York, NY

#80 Mar 29, 2007
Micro wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha, don't you realize that some gays coming to the community It's a good thing? Home values and appearance goes up, among other things. They usually have money and care about the appearance of a community. Medford isn't a bad place to live, but certainly isn't great. It's got the same demographics as Lindenhurst. Mostly white and working class but that usually means lots of petty crimes, especially as more minorities move in.
I'm done explaining how ISP addresses can be deceiving. Re: the gay thing, what you say may be true. But, is it a good thing to have an abundance of any type of "group"?
Big Bad Bob

Woods Cross, UT

#81 Mar 29, 2007
redneck please wrote:
But Bob... you live in Utah.. home of the meth-mouth.
Now, go slap your sister in the ass and enjoy the 50 off the gas.
Dude, were you born an idiot or did you have to practice?

Did you even READ my post?

A) FORMER LONG ISLANDER. As in only left 4 years ago. Raised on LI. Schooled on LI. Grew up on LI. Married on LI. Kids born on LI. Had a house on LI. Worked on LI. So I KNOW what I am talking about.

B) "Redneck"? "slap your sister in the ass"?
WTF is that the best you could come up with?
And I don't know that people consider Utah a "redneck" state; could YOU even find it on a map?

C) Oh, wait, you're from Brentwood. Therefore you should be congradulated that you can at least type words on a keyboard... BTW, did you "fiiiiiiiiiind" that computer, or what, Holmes?
guy

Rye, NY

#82 Mar 30, 2007
micro agreed, medford isn't a horrible place to live, maybe eagle estates needs a little extra help but south of the expressway is actually nice. Drive down old medford ave, nice homes around that area. Patchogue also has decent area's. The people trashing other towns are probably not homeowners. Most likely younger generation with no mortage to worry about. Ignorance is breed at home, don't put somebody down because they don't live in your town.
Tap San in LIC

Albany, NY

#83 Mar 30, 2007
ETR wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm done explaining how ISP addresses can be deceiving. Re: the gay thing, what you say may be true. But, is it a good thing to have an abundance of any type of "group"?
I'm moving somewhere where there's an abundance of spanish weather girls.
roger43

El Segundo, CA

#84 Mar 30, 2007
ETR wrote:
I'm done explaining how ISP addresses can be deceiving.

I'm NOT
roger43

El Segundo, CA

#85 Mar 30, 2007
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm moving somewhere where there's an abundance of spanish weather girls.
no need to move. Channel 16 and 18 will do ya just fine. and for the american LI bred flavor, ch 11 doesn't disappoint with the traffic. she looked really good today. i love how they have her stand sideways to look at the map of traffic. it's brilliant broadcasting.
Tap San in LIC

Albany, NY

#86 Mar 30, 2007
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
no need to move. Channel 16 and 18 will do ya just fine. and for the american LI bred flavor, ch 11 doesn't disappoint with the traffic. she looked really good today. i love how they have her stand sideways to look at the map of traffic. it's brilliant broadcasting.
I can dream, can't I ?
ETR

New York, NY

#87 Mar 30, 2007
roger43 wrote:
ETR wrote:
I'm done explaining how ISP addresses can be deceiving.
I'm NOT
Good, I pass the torch to you...
roger43

El Segundo, CA

#88 Mar 30, 2007
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
I can dream, can't I ?
of course you can. i do every a.m. while i flip back and forth. that mary gamarra. lord almighty
redneck please

Wellesley, MA

#89 Mar 30, 2007
Big Bad Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, were you born an idiot or did you have to practice?
Did you even READ my post?
A) FORMER LONG ISLANDER. As in only left 4 years ago. Raised on LI. Schooled on LI. Grew up on LI. Married on LI. Kids born on LI. Had a house on LI. Worked on LI. So I KNOW what I am talking about.
B) "Redneck"? "slap your sister in the ass"?
WTF is that the best you could come up with?
And I don't know that people consider Utah a "redneck" state; could YOU even find it on a map?
C) Oh, wait, you're from Brentwood. Therefore you should be congradulated that you can at least type words on a keyboard... BTW, did you "fiiiiiiiiiind" that computer, or what, Holmes?
Big Bad Bob... I love the low-esteemed who must create a name that depicts them as a tough guy...
I read your post, you said you were from LI and could not afford to live here. I understand , I mean pushing brooms and collecting cans may make it hard to make rent.
Your just another asshat who doesn't understand how an ISP works... I feel so slighted that you made fun of where my ISP was out of. I didn't know ISP location was a status symbol.

But baby-boy Bob knows his trailer IS a status symbol...
Big Bad Bob

Woods Cross, UT

#90 Mar 30, 2007
redneck please wrote:
<quoted text>
Big Bad Bob... I love the low-esteemed who must create a name that depicts them as a tough guy...
I read your post, you said you were from LI and could not afford to live here. I understand , I mean pushing brooms and collecting cans may make it hard to make rent.
Your just another asshat who doesn't understand how an ISP works... I feel so slighted that you made fun of where my ISP was out of. I didn't know ISP location was a status symbol.
But baby-boy Bob knows his trailer IS a status symbol...
Please point out where I posted that I left Long Island "Because I couldn't afford to live here..."

Rather, I stated that I OWNED my home on LI. Hard to do that "pushing brooms and collecting cans", don't you think. Oh, and BTW - home OWNERS don't "pay rent"...

If you MUST know, I actually moved out west because I bought into a business.

And, the whole ISP crap was initiated by YOU. YOU saw "Salt Lake City" and RIGHT AWAY I am a "redneck in a trailer..." Rather odd, since I actually saw more "trailer parks" back on LI, places like the Lakeland Park in Bohemia, for example, than I have seen so far in Utah.

Lastly, my "low esteem name" is a nickname given to me by friends, because I am rather tall. Doesn't mean I think I am "bad".

PLEASE. You seem very ignorant.
redneck please

Wellesley, MA

#91 Apr 2, 2007
Big Bad Bob wrote:
<quoted text>

Please point out where I posted that I left Long Island "Because I couldn't afford to live here..."

Rather, I stated that I OWNED my home on LI. Hard to do that "pushing brooms and collecting cans", don't you think. Oh, and BTW - home OWNERS don't "pay rent"...

If you MUST know, I actually moved out west because I bought into a business.

And, the whole ISP crap was initiated by YOU. YOU saw "Salt Lake City" and RIGHT AWAY I am a "redneck in a trailer..." Rather odd, since I actually saw more "trailer parks" back on LI, places like the Lakeland Park in Bohemia, for example, than I have seen so far in Utah.

Lastly, my "low esteem name" is a nickname given to me by friends, because I am rather tall. Doesn't mean I think I am "bad".

PLEASE. You seem very ignorant.
If you say so... Big bald Bob.
Patrick

Medford, NY

#92 Apr 2, 2007
sorry to say, Patchogue..no diamond, just rough!
Lynn of Ctr Moriches

AOL

#93 May 28, 2007
long way to go wrote:
patchogue was a nice town, 20 years ago the town was still dominated with dollar stores, so there isnt a lot to go back 20 years for. Up and until the mid 1970's it was a nice town, then sweezys and the knapp family became pigs and patchogue's zoning kept out any form of competition. sweezys clothes and styles were 20% higher then the mall and usually 5 years behind the lastest style, they never adpated, look at fantasyland, i mean these stores never stayed open late except maybe one night a week and they use to close on sundays. east main street is blighted, it isnt safe to walk the streets after dark usually, yeah i hope they do something, but it will take years
Swezey always had 70% off sales and wer very much in style. But having moved away in 2000, and visited back every 2 years hence, I sadly found out that Fantasyland closed its doors in December 2006. That was a fixture of the area. What is there now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire Island: Ocean Beach (Jun '07) 18 hr Negoish 2
Review: Fairharbor Owners (Feb '15) Sep 14 Former Resident 33
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sep 13 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,483
News Many oldies acts are 'great pretenders' - (Aug '07) Sep 11 Kissr 30
News Verdict is in on Judge Ettore Simeone's behavior (Jul '07) Sep 7 Anonymous 46
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) Sep 6 PrettyFlyForAWiFi 45
News Bankruptcy fight for '60s pop star Jay Black (Apr '06) Sep 5 concerned res 826

Fire Island Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fire Island Mortgages