Patchogue a 'diamond in the rough'

Full story: Newsday

Patchogue Mayor Paul Pontieri is helping his village find something he says it lost 20 years ago -- its identity as a place, not just a handful of destinations.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of93
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jim

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2007

patchogue will never be the same , theres too many mexicans
long way to go

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2007

patchogue was a nice town, 20 years ago the town was still dominated with dollar stores, so there isnt a lot to go back 20 years for. Up and until the mid 1970's it was a nice town, then sweezys and the knapp family became pigs and patchogue's zoning kept out any form of competition. sweezys clothes and styles were 20% higher then the mall and usually 5 years behind the lastest style, they never adpated, look at fantasyland, i mean these stores never stayed open late except maybe one night a week and they use to close on sundays. east main street is blighted, it isnt safe to walk the streets after dark usually, yeah i hope they do something, but it will take years
Honest Lee

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

I like that he is TRYING to do something. But the only way to fix it, is to get rid of the minorities, and since that is racist, it will never happen. Patchogue has become what Hempstead has, a cess pool for criminals.
Brenda

North Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

The town has too many dollar stores, and it just looks so trashy as you travel east on Main Street, when are they going to tear down the old Plaza theatre?? Actually a few other places can be added to that list, such as the old True Value building. The West end of Patchouge was cleaned up, how about the East End?????????
LKfromLI

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

Patchogue is a dump, all the new buildings in the world won't fix that issue.

Maine Street is empty, from Waverly to Hospital Road.

The folks in town are mostly mexicans living 20 to a home.

The school district sucks.

Someone turn off the lights, Patchogue is done.
noi where to live

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

I recently drove through the town of patchogue,drawn by some charming architecture that does not exceed 350k for this possible first time home buyer.The only problem was i was afraid of all the illegals deposited on corners all over town.The honest to God truth is i wish no one any harm, but i am afriad of all the illegal criminals that come here we have no way of knowing who is just here to work and who is here hideing out and will cause trouble.Needless to say another town off our short list.
Lee Rappaport

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

LKfromLI wrote:
Patchogue is a dump, all the new buildings in the world won't fix that issue.
Maine Street is empty, from Waverly to Hospital Road.
The folks in town are mostly mexicans living 20 to a home.
The school district sucks.
Someone turn off the lights, Patchogue is done.
TRUEEEEEEE!
ETR

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

It's not going to change overnight people. Let's see what it looks like in a couple of years.
long way to go

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

patchogue does have problems, i do give them credit for addressing them. The new condos they are building are very nice, but who would pay upwards of 450,000 when if you go 3 blocks over you have 50 people living in a house?
SPY Hunter

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

Time for INS to do there job and do a sweep through the town
jack deans

Bishops Stortford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

i generally visit long island every year and have been to patchogue a few times. it is great to see a " joined up "approach being taken well done and every success. by the way i'm from northern ireland.

jack
Jim Shorts

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

doesn't he mean
"diamante en el áspero"
we can do it

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

patchogue needs a renaissance. i believe that if it was cleaned up, and nicer stores and restaraunts were put in, it would attract a different crowd. the other crownd that it attracts no might just be driven out. enforce stricter laws! no neon pink and green signs in your window used for advertising, tear down the plaza theater, etc. it doesn't hurt to try!
Nice towns

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

And at one time Hempstead was a nice town, and Freeport was a nice town, and Amityville was a nice town.... see any pattern here?
None of us will live long enough to see the renaissance of Patchogue. I sympathize with those who live there, and have some history there, but it's time to move. Vamanos!
LKfromLI

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

we can do it wrote:
patchogue needs a renaissance. i believe that if it was cleaned up, and nicer stores and restaraunts were put in, it would attract a different crowd. the other crownd that it attracts no might just be driven out. enforce stricter laws! no neon pink and green signs in your window used for advertising, tear down the plaza theater, etc. it doesn't hurt to try!
You mean 99 cent stores and mexican delis don;t do the trick ;-)

Patchogue has TOO MANY absentee landlords
K ay

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

jim wrote:
patchogue will never be the same , theres too many mexicans
I am so tried of the comment there are too many Mexicans in Patchogue, the Spanish people are from many countries, Colombia, Ecuador and many others. Just as in the history of New York City or for that matter the history of this GREAT Country, immigrants from all over the world have come in mass numbers from one country during different times seeking a better life. I am Irish, Polish, and German, but consider myself an American. Yes, I do know we have an illegal immigration, and over-crowded housing problem and we need to enforce the laws, but my hats is off to all people who seek a better life for themselves and their families.
LKfromLI

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

K ay wrote:
<quoted text>I am so tried of the comment there are too many Mexicans in Patchogue, the Spanish people are from many countries, Colombia, Ecuador and many others. Just as in the history of New York City or for that matter the history of this GREAT Country, immigrants from all over the world have come in mass numbers from one country during different times seeking a better life. I am Irish, Polish, and German, but consider myself an American. Yes, I do know we have an illegal immigration, and over-crowded housing problem and we need to enforce the laws, but my hats is off to all people who seek a better life for themselves and their families.
"have an illegal immigration, and over-crowded housing problem and we need to enforce the laws, but my hats is off to all people who seek a better life for themselves and their families"

Even if its at the expense of LEGAL TAX PAYING citizens?

Please
The Dog

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

K ay wrote:
<quoted text>I am so tried of the comment there are too many Mexicans in Patchogue, the Spanish people are from many countries, Colombia, Ecuador and many others. Just as in the history of New York City or for that matter the history of this GREAT Country, immigrants from all over the world have come in mass numbers from one country during different times seeking a better life. I am Irish, Polish, and German, but consider myself an American. Yes, I do know we have an illegal immigration, and over-crowded housing problem and we need to enforce the laws, but my hats is off to all people who seek a better life for themselves and their families.
I see your point, but the Irish, Poles, Itailians and Germans have asimilated. The spanish, do not. They send money out of the country and could care less about learning english or live by the laws (drivers lic, car ins, paying taxes, ect.)

They are not here to live, they are here to work.
Most will go back to what ever hole they escaped from to live like a king after 20 yrs of work in America.
FORMER LIer

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

IMNoFool wrote:
The only way to clean up Patchogue is to get rid of the Mexicans, PR's and Blacks!!
It's a disgrace! People should not be afraid to walk around at night. There are plenty of Convicted sex offenders as well.
That town is beyond help. We need to focus on preventing this tragedy from happening in other towns.
Maybe a harsh statement?? Yes their is scum in Patchogue..no arguement about that. But to point out Blacks PRs, and mexicans..and not mention the white trash..which you'll have to agree, they're there as well. Otherwise, I agree with you 100%.
Robert

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

In order for Patchogue to become a diamond in the rough or the next babylon village the mayor needs to realize that he has to change the stores uptown in order for people to come, hock shops and dollar stores are not going to attract the "Hamptons" crowd

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of93
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••