2 die when speedboat overturns during NY bay race

Full story: NewsTimes.com

A speedboat taking part in a race on a Long Island bay has overturned, killing two people.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Aug 26, 2008
Kat1269

Wallingford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

I sure hope it wasn't the 2 survivors from the Candlewood Lake incident over a month ago....by the way, where are the all the final conclusions to that???? Does anyone know how Kevin is doing? One wrong move at speeds likes this, you are sure to die or get really mangled, whoever they are, my sympathies and prayers to the families and those who had to witness it.
whawahWUT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Judged:

gee so obviously not their fault.. there was a rowboat 100 yards away.

What a waste of gasoline and energy, and such pollution. Now loss of life?

What are people thinking?

“What?”

Since: Jan 08

New Milford

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Judged:

whawahWUT wrote:
gee so obviously not their fault.. there was a rowboat 100 yards away.
What a waste of gasoline and energy, and such pollution. Now loss of life?
What are people thinking?
How much pollution does a boat race create? Do you know? Did you have to buy the gasoline yourself? Sheesh! Maybe we should all sit at home in the dark when we're not at work - NO FUN OF ANY KIND!
whawahWUT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

watcher419 wrote:
<quoted text>
How much pollution does a boat race create? Do you know? Did you have to buy the gasoline yourself? Sheesh! Maybe we should all sit at home in the dark when we're not at work - NO FUN OF ANY KIND!
yea cause diesel fuel is so CLEAN and NON POLLUTING

you want fun? GET A SAIL BOAT or is that too difficult and not macho enough for you?
Mr Ed

Naugatuck, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

whawahWUT wrote:
<quoted text>
Diesel fuel?
Did we read the same article?
Hello

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

"They are not sure how the accident happened". Um, maybe because the boats were racing at 150mph?! DUH!
Try again

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Hello wrote:
"They are not sure how the accident happened". Um, maybe because the boats were racing at 150mph?! DUH!
DUH ! The class of boat that crashed doesn't get near 150 ! Check you facts before posting ! Bet you read that in that rag called the Post. DUH !
Clearing things up

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

The reason the boats were doing 100 mph??? Its a race!!!! Just like car racing. Is this a forum to fight with people or a place to talk about what happened? I was there and the entire day was great. There were other races and everything was fine. Unfortunately, something happened to the Aero Express Team. No one knows what and probably never will. You people seem to just want to argue with each other. this was a tragedy and my prayers go out to the families.
Its funny because I said yesterday during the races that if something was to happen at least these guys would die doing what makes them happy. Its a passion, what drives them. I would rather die doing something I love then sit home and safely rot.
whawahWUT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Mr Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
Diesel fuel?
Did we read the same article?
what do you think these speedboats run on? Wind power?

Pick up a clue on your way back to the stable, Ed
Mr Ed

Naugatuck, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

whawahWUT wrote:
<quoted text>
what do you think these speedboats run on? Wind power?
Pick up a clue on your way back to the stable, Ed
Um, sorry but they don't run on diesel fuel.
Large ships do but not racing boats.
Gasoline, alcohol or nitro methane yes, but not diesel fuel.
Waterwave

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

row boat wrote:
I wonder if they took lessons from Candelwood lake boater's
That is the most disgusting comment I have seen so far. I was there, these things happen. It was tragic.
Your must be one of those people with no empathy.
I guess you took lessons that made you a moron.
Waterwave

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Correction. The accident happened at 4:58 and the emergency boats were on the scene on my camera at 4:59. The announcement they were unconsciuos is not on video but was made approx 5:02 I was taking another pic at that time.
Such a sad ending to a beatuful and fun day.
Peaches

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Well, at least they had witnesses this time.
Hello

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Try again wrote:
<quoted text>
DUH ! The class of boat that crashed doesn't get near 150 ! Check you facts before posting ! Bet you read that in that rag called the Post. DUH !
Hey tard - read much? "Witnesses say some racing boats were doing more than 150 mph"
Hello

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Judged:

Clearing things up wrote:
The reason the boats were doing 100 mph??? Its a race!!!! Just like car racing. Is this a forum to fight with people or a place to talk about what happened? I was there and the entire day was great. There were other races and everything was fine. Unfortunately, something happened to the Aero Express Team. No one knows what and probably never will. You people seem to just want to argue with each other. this was a tragedy and my prayers go out to the families.
Its funny because I said yesterday during the races that if something was to happen at least these guys would die doing what makes them happy. Its a passion, what drives them. I would rather die doing something I love then sit home and safely rot.
Racing anything at over 100mph is just asking for trouble. Racing is not a "sport" it's a death wish.
Was There 2

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>Hey tard - read much? "Witnesses say some racing boats were doing more than 150 mph"
There was only 1 boat in the water capable of over 120.. the Miss Geico Turbine. Do your homework before assuming a witness can tell you how fast they were going... and I specifically said 'the class of boat that crashed'. Maybe someone else needs to learn to read.

“What?”

New Milford

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

whawahWUT wrote:
<quoted text>
you want fun? GET A SAIL BOAT or is that too difficult and not macho enough for you?
Point is: This is supposed to be a free country. No one is forcing you to race boats or be a spectator. I'm not a big boat-racing fan or anything, but live and let live.

Should we get rid of baseball, football, etc. because they waste so much electricity on the lights and scoreboards.

Btw, when sailboats race all the safety and rescue boats (not to mention those with cameras covering the race) are motorboats. I don't particularly care for sailboat racing either but I don't suggest banning it.
whawahWUT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Judged:

watcher419 wrote:
<quoted text>
Point is: This is supposed to be a free country. No one is forcing you to race boats or be a spectator. I'm not a big boat-racing fan or anything, but live and let live.
Should we get rid of baseball, football, etc. because they waste so much electricity on the lights and scoreboards.
Btw, when sailboats race all the safety and rescue boats (not to mention those with cameras covering the race) are motorboats. I don't particularly care for sailboat racing either but I don't suggest banning it.
Way to support terrorist states, burning up their precious oil

it should be banned.

there are soldiers DYING to combat terrorism, and you're all for filling the pockets of these terrorist states by P I S S ING away fuel on stupid sports that pollute and destroy the environment.

“What?”

New Milford

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Everyone's entitled to an opinion - and yours is wrong. What percentage of gasoline used by the USA is spent on boat racing? 1/100th of a percent? Yeah, ban racing. That'll help...
Was There 2

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

whawhaWUT...

Using your logic ... do you ever go to a basketball, baseball, football, soccer game, etc ? If you have kids, did you ever drive them to practices/games ?

There are literally 10s of thousands of cars and trucks driven every day using the same precious oil based products to get spectators and the players to and from sporting events. Are you also suggesting we should ban those sports too ?

Maybe you should contact MLB, the NFL, the NBA, the PGA, etc and all the school districts in America and ask them to stop all sports.

Ask any person in the Armed Services... we fight to secure our way of life and our freedoms. If your are suggesting by stopping sports we somehow thwart terrorism, you need to think again. We lose to terrorists when we change our way of life.

If you have never been to a sporting event as a participant or a spectator I feel sorry for you... if you have, you are a hypocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fire Island Discussions

Search the Fire Island Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 16 hr College Professor 6,391
Verizon Fios vs Optimum on line (Mar '08) Mon Roger 122
Man sentenced in fatal Islip Terrace DWI - (Aug '07) Aug 17 zdy 3
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Aug 17 Skip Mastermaker 1,325
CENTEREACH: Ex-student ordered off school campus (Mar '08) Aug 17 seldens finast 523
Hamas agrees to extend cease-fire with Israel, ... Aug 14 RayOne 1
Black guy in patchwork On main st. Aug 10 JASON JONES 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search