arthurstreetchic k

Cobleskill, NY

#1217 Oct 12, 2013
The pine tree was 1 bar, what was the other?
x

Lake Worth, FL

#1218 Oct 27, 2013
arthurstreetchick wrote:
The pine tree was 1 bar, what was the other?
Innkeepers?
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1219 Nov 9, 2013
Barracks style house on Washington and Franklin…Dr Madowitz vz Dr Nadal…5 speed bikes with sissy bars…Fife and Drum for burgers…Boxer Buddy McGirt…SC Police Officer on foot Patrol…Yield sign changed to stop sign…Bridal Shop on Washington and Suffolk Ave…Shoe Repair on Suffolk Ave…Deer Head Bar… McDonalds being built, Big Mac’s were 55 cents…Shortcut, no crossing gate on Madison Ave and Railroad crossing…Sharp turn on Madison Av to avoid cemetery…Tony Pizza 25 cents…Basement parties w/ 45s; “Tears of a Clown”, Partridge Family, Bobby Goldsboro “Honey”…Little white house/ bar before Jack in the Box was built…Jack in the box almost ran out of town- mustard on burgers and just what was a taco?...Cars driving with lights on Memorial and Veterans Day…Huge Memorial Day Parade in Bay Shore with tanks…Tab Cleaners…Lady Ls Card Store, next to Pine Tree where I bought my matchbox cars…Willies deli, next door was Aquarium then Carvel…Luncheonette counter where Chinese food store is now in IGA supermarket…Jimmy’s (Frankie Valli?) Gulf Station…Dumpster diving at toy factory on Motor Pkwy…Mini bike riding near MaKay radio station…Pilgrim State G road surrounded by corn stalks…Traffic light at Washington and Heyward St being installed…Hardware store on Heyward St…Big old white farmhouse on Heyward between Jefferson Av and Madison Av…Split school session North Junior High…LIE being built, woods being cleared by big equipment…Baseball in lot on Arthur St then replaced by two homes...Lights installed on street…Neighbors raking leaves to curbside then burning leaves…Northeast Elem/ Mr. Black and his pen/ Mrs. Teich/ Kindergarten annex being built/ bank day…School district redrawn going to North Elementary/ Mr Saikin / Mr Album / Mr Tache and his safety patrol…5th Ave dump/ drive in / 3rd pct being built…Cub scout blue and gold dinner at country club…every home seemed to have a bar in basement…notable catastrophes: Grants funeral home fire / Ross Nursing Home fire/ Hills supermarket fire/ Johns Bargain store fire/ Dress Barn fire/ Long Island Railroad derailment…St Lukes in casket factory / father judge…old St Annes school/ mass in basement for kids/ adults upstairs…BYA parades...And I truly agree; Herrick real estate and other real estate broker on Washington were the true destroyers of my beloved Brentwood.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1220 Nov 9, 2013
Brentwood was a great place to grow up in.
Alvin

Brentwood, NY

#1221 Nov 10, 2013
hooray for old brentwood with KKK marches and burning crosses. A diversified white trash neighborhood cluttered with cookie cutter homes :/
I purchased my first home here and I am not impressed with brentwood or the rest of long island. I have white neighbors with grandchildren of mixed races. YUCK! What are you going to tell your grandchildren when they ask why their hair is so nappy and your own to be so straight and beautiful. Interracial marriage has destroyed brentwood and the rest of long island. I see white kids wearing their baseball caps like a bunch of city moolies, the protected south americans talking like valley kids out of some outdated 80s flick, and round tortilla faced people driving huge escalades while they could barely see over the dash. I see alcoholics hanging around 7 11 of all races and white castle garbage strewn all over Washington avenue. Too many renters do not care about the property they live in because "it is the landlord's property, not mine." Twenty cars parked outside a one family dwelling really kills me especially when cars are parked on the front lawn. JESUS CHRIST SEND THE INS TO BRENTWOOD AND CLEAR THIS PLACE OF ILLEGAL ALIENS AN THE WHITES THAT HARBOR THEM ON THEIR RENTAL PROPERTIES. Have a nice day :D
Alvin

Brentwood, NY

#1222 Nov 10, 2013
As for Tony's Pizza on Clarke Street, F*ck them and their Mexican pizza. I used to walk In there and buy their grandma's Sicilian. Never again will I spend my hard earned money at that place while they look at me like I'm some guy that should be scrubbing their pots, while the fat white EYE-talian customer spends a "dallah" at the premises and gets the high five every time he or she walks in. Let the place die with every other shitty restaurant that serves shitty food... and there are plenty on Long Island.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1223 Nov 10, 2013
I left Brentwood in 1974. It was a great place to grow up in. Most kids had a mother and a father in the home who tired their best to raise good kids. I'd elaborate, but I'm sure you're busy ironing your white hooded robe.
Van Buren St Guy

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1224 Nov 12, 2013
Too bad Alvin, you missed the best of times that Brentwood had to offer, no wonder your a miserable old soul, you must be fun to be around.
irish tommy deely

New York, NY

#1225 Nov 12, 2013
God horse the good people of brentwood.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1226 Nov 13, 2013
I remember riding our bikes all over the place, playing baseball in the street until it was too dark, eating dinner at a friend's house, then going home and eating dinner again. We felt safe in our neighborhood. If we did something stupid while we were outside, a neighbor-mom would yell at us (and God forbid she called our mom-or worse called our grandmother who lived with us.)

Some teachers were jerks, but most of them did their best. If we got in trouble in school it was always OUR fault. We were held accountable for being idiots, and kids can be idiots.

I have visited a few times and I am sad to see houses that are not kept neat, and to read about the crime rates. I think things changed because people started thinking someone else was responsible for them. Whether we like it or not- the reality is that a caring family unit cannot be replaced by a school, or a government program. I certainly didn't have the perfect family unit, but they tried and I had many good examples around me to learn from.

I have very many happy memories of Brentwood and I hope everyone who grew up there had happy and heathy lives.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#1227 Nov 13, 2013
My time there was ok. It was my first experience where I recognized racism. A classmate called me a nizzer and I had no idea what it meant. The word did not, and still does not offend me. What hurt was when a teacher called me a nizzer. My 8th grade science teacher actually dropped the N-bomb on me. I was mortified. Not by his choice of words, but that he would stoop so low. That is when I realized that teachers are just people. Thanks Mr. Graziano of East Jr. High for teaching me that not all teachers can be heroes. D!ck...
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1228 Nov 13, 2013
Your 8th grade science teacher was a jerk.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1229 Nov 13, 2013
Sorry someone was so mean to a 13 year old kid. I'm sure his life has been as fulfilling as his teaching ability was crappy! Take care-

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1230 Nov 14, 2013
Georgia wrote:
Sorry someone was so mean to a 13 year old kid. I'm sure his life has been as fulfilling as his teaching ability was crappy! Take care-
Thanks, he motivated me to understand that not everyone is on my side. Perspective...
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1231 Nov 15, 2013
You're absolutely right; it's better to have a clear understanding of how the world really works.
I had a couple of pretty mean spirited teachers- but to think about them (for me) gives them precious time out of my life I don't want to waste.
You sound like you made a good life for yourself despite this idiot (or idiots) you had to deal with!
cool dude

United States

#1232 Nov 19, 2013
Alvin is right on the money. I don't know about the KKK activity, but it is not hard to imagine judging from the previous posts. Seems like the "old brentwood" is double speak for "white brentwood." Get some immigrants moving in and now it is too "dangerous" to live there. Alvin, bro, I may not agree with your post but I respect you for speaking your mind and not hiding behind racial innuendos, unlike the rest of the bigots on this blog. I am not going to consider brentwood as one of the possible places to raise my family, thanks to all the negativity on this site.
Joe

Brentwood, NY

#1233 Nov 19, 2013
what about Shanes on clark st.... by IGA... I think that was the name.. use to get those planes u put together...

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#1234 Nov 20, 2013
Georgia wrote:
You're absolutely right; it's better to have a clear understanding of how the world really works.
I had a couple of pretty mean spirited teachers- but to think about them (for me) gives them precious time out of my life I don't want to waste.
You sound like you made a good life for yourself despite this idiot (or idiots) you had to deal with!
I also had a counselor at Half Hollow Hills West tell me that I was not college material and I should consider a military option. In spite of being recruited by Syracuse, Boston U, Buffalo, Rutgers, etc... to play football. 5 years later, I earned a BA in Music Theory and Composition. 1 year later I had an MS in Econometrics. And, 3 years later I had a PhD, also in Econometrics. So, at 27, I visited my old HS and left a message for Mr. Weinstein; "Dr.... says hello". I do nothing with my degrees, but I am very happy with our quality of life.

Yes ma'am, I turned out just fine. Thank you for the kind words.
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1235 Nov 21, 2013
I swear, you just made my day! I love it!!!!! Best of everything for you--
Georgia

Bloomsburg, PA

#1236 Nov 21, 2013
By the way, Mr. Weinstein if you're still around:

1) Don't insult our American men and women in uniform by implying they decided to serve because they weren't "college material".

2) You probably owe a lot of former students an apology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr jthartford 6,435
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 4 hr dissapointed 16,787
you left your dog behind Tue patchogue resident 5
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) Sep 15 rob 210
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Sep 10 peter joes pizza 1,117
The loud music is out control in Brentwood Sep 10 adnaloy 2
Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Sep 9 hoodo 71
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search