Throgs Neck updates safety regs in di...

Throgs Neck updates safety regs in disaster's wake -

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 9, 2007, titled Throgs Neck updates safety regs in disaster's wake -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Regional transportation officials reacted cautiously Thursday to reports that steel plates may have played a role in the Minnesota bridge collapse, while new regulations on the Throgs Neck Bridge inconvenienced ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sloopy

Bethpage, NY

#1 Aug 10, 2007
Temporary sloop on the Wantagh Parkway - its more like a peermanaent sloop - the ninth summer of non union work going nowhere. Where is the accountability to do a job on time anymore?
JOHN

Bronx, NY

#2 Aug 10, 2007
ACCOUNTABILITY means nothing to the politicians or the contractors that get the plum jobs that last forever.
dan

Scarsdale, NY

#3 Aug 10, 2007
Can we build some new 10 lane bridges with shoulders. This old infrastructure was built for the 1950s and 1960s.How about using our tax dollars for something real, instead of high salaries,studies,pensions,ille gals,and lazy people. We the hard working citizens deserve better than this old out-dated junk. Other countries are kicking our butts with new infrastructure.
boycott

United States

#4 Aug 10, 2007
Does anyone realize it may be the SUV's that are destroying our bridges. The bridges were designed for passager cars. Not 7000 pound trucks that to many knuckleheads are driving. Keep raising the price of gasoline and tax it. To fix the bridges and end the era of the SUV.
Jacksonian Dem

Scarsdale, NY

#5 Aug 10, 2007
No one wants to deal with NIMBY issues. Look at the TAppan Zee, for 20 years they've had Town Hall meeting after meeting and report after report. No one has the guts to say "a new bride is coming" or a "tunnel is coming," because some concerned citizens of whatever will scream about how their view was ruined or a flower bed was destroyed. In the mean time its better that we band-aid our crumbling bridges as they deteriorate before our eyes. Bridges and tunnels are the lifeline of the metro area. This is about economic and national security. Whther it be new bridges, complete overhauls, both, it needs to be done now. There is no "cut rate price" on our safety and security.
LIer

Bronx, NY

#6 Aug 10, 2007
boycott wrote:
Does anyone realize it may be the SUV's that are destroying our bridges. The bridges were designed for passager cars. Not 7000 pound trucks that to many knuckleheads are driving. Keep raising the price of gasoline and tax it. To fix the bridges and end the era of the SUV.
Well, I don't know, if you have 105,000lb trucks routinely crossing these bridges, do you really think a 5000lb Explorer would make much of a difference?
MaryAnn

Bronx, NY

#7 Aug 10, 2007
Yes, it would if we traded the tanks for regular passenger cars. Its not just one Tahoe or Suburban out there. Banning them for those without either a large family or a business would save so much gas, save lives in accidents with regular cars, extend the lives of bridges and roadways and also decrease road rage. Sorry but I do not see a down side.
LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know, if you have 105,000lb trucks routinely crossing these bridges, do you really think a 5000lb Explorer would make much of a difference?
Jay

United States

#8 Aug 10, 2007
Okay! So you remove the SUV's and then..... Hmmm, you can add more cars due to extra length. Which would still equal the same amount of total weight on a bridge, Einstein!
boycott wrote:
LIer

Bronx, NY

#9 Aug 10, 2007
MaryAnn wrote:
Yes, it would if we traded the tanks for regular passenger cars. Its not just one Tahoe or Suburban out there. Banning them for those without either a large family or a business would save so much gas, save lives in accidents with regular cars, extend the lives of bridges and roadways and also decrease road rage. Sorry but I do not see a down side.
<quoted text>
You're probably right, but since this isn't the old Soviet Union, how would you go about "banning" them based on family size? I drive a 4cyl Camry, but if I want to buy a Hummer, I think I should be able to, as long as the manufacturers figure there's still a market for them.
ckck

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Aug 10, 2007
Learn how to Drive all you SUV AS* Holes! It's a truck not a car and get the hell off the F****** Phone while driving your heap of S***. I hope they raise the gas to 5.00 /gal so it costs you $250 to fill up twice a week!

Since: Aug 07

Hauppauge, NY

#11 Aug 10, 2007
LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably right, but since this isn't the old Soviet Union, how would you go about "banning" them based on family size? I drive a 4cyl Camry, but if I want to buy a Hummer, I think I should be able to, as long as the manufacturers figure there's still a market for them.
While I do not agree to banning these behemoths, I do believe a special license should be required. Some people drive these monsters like they're a sports car.
fwiw

Lumberton, MS

#12 Aug 10, 2007
As long as ad agencies and auto companies are willing to spend billions to get Americans to feel they need SUVs, things will not get better till gas hits about eight bucks a gallon.

Then we'll see Chucky at his millionth news conference deploring the oil companies.
Ned

Patchogue, NY

#13 Aug 10, 2007
Maybe everyone should just drive really, really fast over the bridge so when it collapses you might be over it already.

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#14 Aug 10, 2007
ckck wrote:
Learn how to Drive all you SUV AS* Holes! It's a truck not a car and get the hell off the F****** Phone while driving your heap of S***. I hope they raise the gas to 5.00 /gal so it costs you $250 to fill up twice a week!
At $5 a gallon it will hurt you pretty bad in the wallet as well even if you drive a hybrid, you have to fill up eventually and with a 20 gallon tank it would cost you $100 to fill up, and i don't know about you, but $100 is alot to fill up on gas even once a week.

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#15 Aug 10, 2007
boycott wrote:
Bridges are designed to carry the weight of loaded trucks and an excess of weight as a precaution so that it is very difficult if not impossible to overload large bridges, provided that they are propery maintained. An SUV is not going to destroy a bridge any faster because it weighs roughly 1 ton more then an average sedan
paul

Elizabeth, NJ

#16 Aug 11, 2007
ckck wrote:
Let me venture a guess, ckck. You are not a rocket scientist, correct.? Your language does suggest that you have a different career, could it be that you work as a laborer in a sewage treatment plant.?
JOHN W BUGLER

Milford, CT

#17 Aug 11, 2007
The MTA is to be commended.

If these restrictions were used on interstate 35W bridge it this writers opinion the bridge would today still be standing.

It is almost axiomatic in the bridge business that one bridge disaster every 30 years.

Some would call it a generation thing. One generation fails to pass on to the next generation all that they learned in their time frame of service.

When the committee this writer chaired [A3C13-1990-1996] elected to invite Dr. Ron Mayboro of Weidlinger Associates to present a paper at our Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting it was because he had determined thru his studies that the inertial thrust of Busses and other heavy vehicles when slamming on their brakes in stop and go conditions on bridges induced massive fatigue cracking.

It is this writes opionon that is what happened on the Minnesota 35W bridge.

They took two lanes out of service. They transferred all traffic to the two remaining lanes. This caused a creep speed situation with concomatent stop and go brake slamming.

A staccato of heavy vehicles slamming their brakes with
80,000 pounds of mass. This sudden stopping generates and inertial thrust of huge magnitude to supporting structure.

This was the case on the 35W. Add to that equation the hot ambient temperature. The steel probably measured on surface about 120 degrees F.

This constant repetition of brakes slamming and inertilal thrust leads to fatigue cracking.

A paper clip opened and bent up and down will result in the steel failing in fatigue right before your eyes..

SNAP

Hence the loud reported sound at the time of collapse.
When steel and concrete fail the report is over 120 decibels in sound energy realesed.

This tragedy could have been avoided.

We here in New York thank God have a fulcrum of some of the best bridge enginers on the planet earth.

Old soldiers in the bridge bearing and joints game take our hats of to the MTA for their actions and new regulations

You cannot ask for anything better than what MTA did in this regard.

One other item for consideration. It might not be a bad time to consider another location for a bridge crossing form Long Island to the mainland.

With every good wish.

GOD BLESS THE MTA.

JOHN W BUGLER
BUGLER.ORG
NYLONEWOLF

Sayreville, NJ

#18 Aug 12, 2007
Has anyone stopped to think what would happen if God Forbid a Terrorist NUKE went off in Manhattan, and what would happen to and on Long Island if all the Bridges and the Midtown tunnel were closed?NYS should have built the Tunnel from Glen cove to RYE N.Y and the hell with CT. environmental issues.I tell you one thing there would be Kaos on L.I..The U.S. Navy would have to come in and evacuate Millions of people off.Also,if all these Bridges were meant to last only fifty years (ie Tappan Zee) why didn't NYS start replacing these Bridges 5 or 10 years ago?I'll tell you why,because a good portion of the Highway money Tolls,Taxes etc.were probably diverted to "Feel Good" People Programs in NYS.Now all of us commuters who drive over and through bridges and tunnels are screwed and stressed out wondering if we will be the next victim of some government officals incompetence .Somebody somewhere in NYS needs to be held accountable for this.
NYLONEWOLF

Sayreville, NJ

#19 Aug 12, 2007
Has anyone stopped to think what would happen if God Forbid a Terrorist NUKE went off in Manhattan, and what would happen to and on Long Island if all the Bridges and the Midtown tunnel were closed?NYS should have built the Tunnel from Glen cove to RYE N.Y and the hell with CT. environmental issues.I tell you one thing there would be Kaos on L.I..The U.S. Navy would have to come in and evacuate Millions of people off.Also,if all these Bridges were meant to last only fifty years (ie Tappan Zee) why didn't NYS start replacing these Bridges 5 or 10 years ago?I'll tell you why,because a good portion of the Highway money Tolls,Taxes etc.were probably diverted to "Feel Good" People Programs in NYS.Now all of us commuters who drive over and through bridges and tunnels are screwed and stressed out wondering if we will be the next victim of some government officals incompetence .Somebody somewhere in NYS needs to be held accountable for this.
NYLONEWOLF

Sayreville, NJ

#20 Aug 12, 2007
What happen to what I just wrote?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... 21 hr Baker 5
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) 22 hr true independent 20
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) Tue Paperboy 26
News $1M Bail for Suspect in Fatal East Islip Home I... (Apr '11) May 20 The executioner 15
News 3rd suspect in murder of 2 men found dismembered (Aug '08) May 19 Dr Obvious 176
News Edward Walsh case jurors say no to government c... May 15 Eric 2
News Police: Doc's wife stole prescription slips for... (Feb '08) May 13 Ruff Sects 42
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fire Island Mortgages