Saltaire seeks $2.5M from state to revamp a store

Full story: Newsday

The tony Fire Island village of Saltaire is seeking $2.5 million in state funds to revitalize its downtown - a single grocery store.
Comments
41 - 60 of 60 Comments Last updated Jul 24, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Yuccch

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Jul 20, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Saltaire Resident nwa wrote:
We are a group devoted to the maintenance of a natural environment that benefits you, or did it not occur to the reader who wants Fire Island reduced to a sandbar that without it waves would crash into your Bulkheads?
Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century.
1. You are NOT maintaining the natural environment when you

a. Put houses crowded into a small area on natural dunes. Turtles and nesting birds weren't too happy with it.

b. Fight a never ending war with nature over "beach erosion"(a completely natural process).

c. Forget that no one tried to live on that beach until after WWII. Before that, only the lighthouse keeper and some scruffy fisherman who lived in unheated temporary shacks were on the beach.
morgs

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Jul 21, 2009
 
news boy wrote:
The tony Fire Island village of Saltaire is seeking $2.5 million in state funds to revitalize its downtown - a single grocery store.
The store is open four months a year and is the only retail business in the village, which has 400 houses and only 10 families who live there year-round.
The proposal acknowledges "the village of Saltaire might not be considered an urban center so to speak," but it notes Saltaire Market is its commercial district. The grocery store is an integral part of the village, a place where residents gather to chat, trade news and socialize,
Mayor Scott Rosenblum said.
"It's really a main focus of day-to-day life in the village," said Rosenblum, who summers in Saltaire and lives in Westchester County the remainder of the year.
Eric Alexander, executive director of Vision Long Island, a nonprofit planning group that promotes downtown revitalization, said the Island has many proposals worth funding.
"We have a list of projects we go to bat for. This is not on our list," he said of Saltaire's proposal. "If it were to be funded, it could be one of the more bizarre projects we've seen subsidized by taxpayers."
Village manager Mario Posillico
said some residents use their homes in the shoulder seasons - spring into summer, and summer into fall - and more would do the same if services like the grocery store were available.
Eric Alexander is a knownothing blowhard who constantly meddles in things about which he knows nothing. His "vision" for Long Island is severelyfuckedup and includes all kinds of housing and hiring halls for illegals. Keep him thehell off Fire Island or he'll turn the whole place into a welcoming center for borderjumpers.
mook

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Turn the entire island over to Fire Island National Seashore and let it grow wild.
OhWellSchitHappe ns

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Saltaire Resident nwa wrote:
It's unfortunately clear that the venomous comments are posted by readers do not realize that the 400+ homes pay substantial Suffolk County/ Town of Islip taxes to pay for the schools and other mainland services from which Saltaire residents derive no benefit, as well as Saltaire Village taxes. You are enriched by Saltaire homeowners, and yes, we have a right to ask for a share of a tax pot into which we make substantial contributions.
We are a group devoted to the maintenance of a natural environment that benefits you, or did it not occur to the reader who wants Fire Island reduced to a sandbar that without it waves would crash into your Bulkheads?
Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century, and the point of the urban revitalization funding is to support exactly that in a way that creates jobs -- at least 25 jobs, people who come over from the mainland, will be lost if the store closes.
We all pay taxes so donít cry about it when you chose to live there. Want to preserve nature? Get off that sandbar and let nature take itís course.
thank you NEWSDAY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The GREED factor that got us into this financial mess continues to be on the TAKE.

How dare they justify taking our tax dollars for their store on Fire Island. And they believe they deserve it. They really believe this! That's incredible! It's this thinking that got us where we are today. Cheryl Land
thank you NEWSDAY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

And the ARROGANCE goes on!
Cheryl

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Your level of arrogance is amazing. YOu really believe this stuff you wrote don't you? Sad and Dangerous!
Saltaire Resident nwa wrote:
It's unfortunately clear that the venomous comments are posted by readers do not realize that the 400+ homes pay substantial Suffolk County/ Town of Islip taxes to pay for the schools and other mainland services from which Saltaire residents derive no benefit, as well as Saltaire Village taxes. You are enriched by Saltaire homeowners, and yes, we have a right to ask for a share of a tax pot into which we make substantial contributions.
We are a group devoted to the maintenance of a natural environment that benefits you, or did it not occur to the reader who wants Fire Island reduced to a sandbar that without it waves would crash into your Bulkheads?
Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century, and the point of the urban revitalization funding is to support exactly that in a way that creates jobs -- at least 25 jobs, people who come over from the mainland, will be lost if the store closes.
BINGO

Fort Lee, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

mook wrote:
Turn the entire island over to Fire Island National Seashore and let it grow wild.
BINGO.

Let time, wind, water and shifting sands take it back.
Cheryl

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Jul 21, 2009
 
How about you stick to CANADIAN issues? Must have some Rich folks there trying to rip off the poor folks!!
Spenditwhereitspaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for making their point. They are entitled to "stimulus" money just like any other community. I'd rather see it go to Saltaire than to waste it in Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport, North Bellport......you get the idea. So the way I see it you have some kind of how dare they expect to get grant money attitude because you perceive them as "rich" but it's ok to take from them so that some scam artist community activist can use it on some blighted S hole.
Man have you got your priorities screwed up.
Surfs Up

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

charge it wrote:
And, my fellow NY taxpayers Saltaire has a pending application for Stimulus funds of $2.6 million to create and operate its own ferry service. See this website. https://www.nysdot.gov/recovery/repository/Fe...
Talk about taking the public's money!! Has this Village any decency. I think not.
Saltaire's mayor is an attorney and you expect decency...

BWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
Gimmeabreak

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Cheryl wrote:
How about you stick to CANADIAN issues? Must have some Rich folks there trying to rip off the poor folks!!
<quoted text>
Rich folks trying to "rip off" the poor folks. Let's examine that for a moment. The rich folks in this equation are people who pay hefty taxes. The poor folks are those that don't pay taxes, but somehow you believe are more entitled to receiving the "rich folks" money than the "rich folks". This basically boils down to racism and socialism. As in how dare "white folk" think they can get a return on their tax dollars and get equal protection and equal treatment under the law and socialism in that "what are you thinking you are the rich and we are the poor and it is your job to pay us and not expect anything in return for the overwhelming amount of your earnings that are impounded to support entitlement do nothings". Class envy socialist agenda is what this is.
charge it

Rye, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Spenditwhereitspaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for making their point. They are entitled to "stimulus" money just like any other community. I'd rather see it go to Saltaire than to waste it in Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport, North Bellport......you get the idea.
I don't get your idea, for your comments are racist. How do you reach a conclusion that state aid given to economically distressed communities like Hempstead, Rossevelt, Freeport and North Bellport is wasted.
Now, I didn't make the point that Saltaire is entitled to a multi million dollars in state aid to buy and then rent a grocery store. They are not entitled to state dollars for such an outrageous act.
If you saw the Channel 2 television news story some months earlier on this issue, you would have seen video of Mayor Rosenblum saying the Village would try to "shoe horn" their application. And you would have seen another Village trustee, Hillary Richard, the only woman on the Board, smirking at the Mayor's comments.
My comments were in reply to the Saltaire resident who said the Village residents were paying taxes to the mainland but were not getting anything from the maiinland in return. I noted that Village residents get plenty for their tax dollars. That said, that does not mean the Village is entitled to pick the state's coffers for free aid or grant dollars to go into the real estate business.
My understanding is that the village owns quite a bit of real estate within its own boundaries. The Village gives free housing to its annual and seasonal employees like its camp counselors. You can verify that on the Village's websitehttp://www.saltaire.org /minutesdraft.htm
Here's the names and addresses of the recipient's of the Village's largess from a resolution from last month's Village meeting

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Trustees does hereby require the following employees as a condition or continuing condition of employment to reside or to continue to reside in the Village of Saltaire, allowing for short periods of lapses in residency for personal reasons upon notification of supervisor, for the duration of their employment whether seasonal or annual, or until such time that employment ends or a determination is made by the Board of Trustees by separate resolution that residency is no longer required for any or all employees, and designates and offers the following Village properties for occupancy by the specified employees shown, and his or her family if applicable, in order to fulfill such requirement of residency, according to the terms of the housing license required to be executed by the employee and filed with the Village Clerk:
Mario Posillico Annual 109 Neptune Walk
Vernon Henriksen Annual 103 Neptune Walk
Dennis Foley Annual 104B Neptune Walk
James Wilde Annual 5B Pomander Walk
Charles Jones Seasonal 2 Pomander Walk
Ted & Jen Nagengast Seasonal 106 Neptune Walk
Richard Wilde Seasonal 5A Pomander Walk and/or
107 Neptune
Dr. Furey or covering doctor Seasonal 100 Neptune Walk Village
Before the Village seeks millions from the State, it should adopt a resolution giving the grocery store a Village owned building free of charge. Don't you think if the Village is honest in its reason for having a grocery store within its borders that it would place that goal on a higher priority than housing its summer camp leaders.
But, that's just my opinion.
Sheila Morreale

East Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Jul 21, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

How can the people of Saltaire even think to ask for $2.5 million under Restore New York? The residents there are all wealthy (whatever that constitutes in this day and age) and it is a "closed community." How do they have the nerve to seek public funds for a private community?
VOS1

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Jul 22, 2009
 

Judged:

7

4

3

As a Saltaire resident let me say that not all of us think we need this $2.5m. Also,let me correct some of the statements made by other Newsday readers:

-The Whitney family is the one who would be bailed out, NOT Saltaire. They have not performed any upkeep on the property for years. They can't sell the Store because they ran it into the ground.

-The Village does have public facilities. You can not operate a public beach in Suffolk without them.

-Village meetings are held in the City and Saltaire (via video link) in the winter so that all residents may attend meetings.

-The Village does not have the services of the Suffolk County Police. The Police can be called in, but do not patrol the Village. Town of Islip Police NEVER come to Saltaire.

-Village taxes do pay for Police, roads, schools, and other public services that most seasonal Saltaire residents do not benefit from more than 3 months a year. You're welcome.

-The Village does not receive any tax revenue from the County, or Town of Islip. The Village has its own security force, own garbage collection, water system and maintenance staff that is paid for with Saltaire tax dollars.

-Students from the Fire Island School District are bused to local schools for high school, but that is paid for by Fire Island tax payers. The Ocean Beach school has less than 50 students but we spend $25k + per student. Talk about an outrage!

-The Village does provide housing for some employees. These are not ocean front homes with swimming pools. The year-round Village employees are required to live there to keep their jobs. Would you like to be required to sleep at work??
johnny

Centerport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Jul 22, 2009
 

Judged:

1

VOS1 wrote:
As a Saltaire resident let me say that not all of us think we need this $2.5m. Also,let me correct some of the statements made by other Newsday readers:
-The Whitney family is the one who would be bailed out, NOT Saltaire. They have not performed any upkeep on the property for years. They can't sell the Store because they ran it into the ground.
-The Village does have public facilities. You can not operate a public beach in Suffolk without them.
-Village meetings are held in the City and Saltaire (via video link) in the winter so that all residents may attend meetings.
-The Village does not have the services of the Suffolk County Police. The Police can be called in, but do not patrol the Village. Town of Islip Police NEVER come to Saltaire.
-Village taxes do pay for Police, roads, schools, and other public services that most seasonal Saltaire residents do not benefit from more than 3 months a year. You're welcome.
-The Village does not receive any tax revenue from the County, or Town of Islip. The Village has its own security force, own garbage collection, water system and maintenance staff that is paid for with Saltaire tax dollars.
-Students from the Fire Island School District are bused to local schools for high school, but that is paid for by Fire Island tax payers. The Ocean Beach school has less than 50 students but we spend $25k + per student. Talk about an outrage!
-The Village does provide housing for some employees. These are not ocean front homes with swimming pools. The year-round Village employees are required to live there to keep their jobs. Would you like to be required to sleep at work??
you get on here whining and trying to explain like your smarter than us, but your not!

Dont try bu-ll sh-itting us

stop being so friggin cheap and get all your rich yentas along with geraldine and her crook husband and fork over some bucks!

GOT THAT TWAT!

come on here throwing curve balls!

so get all the sandbags that think their better than everyone else, pool your pennys together and buy the place

Have your little association run the place , hire some of you little jew kids-oh wait they dont work-ok get some kids from the mainland that you can abuse to work the store and you will have your little store that no one else is allowed in

Maybe the whitneys didnt think it was worth putting a dime into the place

Tell you what, we the taxpayer fund it and we will vacation there and crash whenever the fuck we want!
charge it

Rye, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Jul 22, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

VOS1 wrote:
As a Saltaire resident let me say that not all of us think we need this $2.5m. Also,let me correct some of the statements made by other Newsday readers:
-The Whitney family is the one who would be bailed out, NOT Saltaire. They have not performed any upkeep on the property for years. They can't sell the Store because they ran it into the ground.
-The Village does have public facilities. You can not operate a public beach in Suffolk without them.
-Village meetings are held in the City and Saltaire (via video link) in the winter so that all residents may attend meetings.
-The Village does not have the services of the Suffolk County Police. The Police can be called in, but do not patrol the Village. Town of Islip Police NEVER come to Saltaire.
-Village taxes do pay for Police, roads, schools, and other public services that most seasonal Saltaire residents do not benefit from more than 3 months a year. You're welcome.
-The Village does not receive any tax revenue from the County, or Town of Islip. The Village has its own security force, own garbage collection, water system and maintenance staff that is paid for with Saltaire tax dollars.
-Students from the Fire Island School District are bused to local schools for high school, but that is paid for by Fire Island tax payers. The Ocean Beach school has less than 50 students but we spend $25k + per student. Talk about an outrage!
-The Village does provide housing for some employees. These are not ocean front homes with swimming pools. The year-round Village employees are required to live there to keep their jobs. Would you like to be required to sleep at work??
The Whitney family would be bought out, not bailed out, with NYS grant money if Saltaire gets its way. The Village would then get rent money from whomever they rent the property to. Why should NYS tax dollars benefit a multimillion dollar exclusive enclave. The Village said they want to buy the store because they don't want the Whitneys to sell the property to a person who would then develop the real estate.

How do all residents attend meetings in NYC during the winter. Are you saying that all residents other than the year rounders live or work only in NYC. The Village is located in Suffolk County. Hold your government there. Or will your government next seek NYS tax dollars to buy a grocery store in NYC for those residents who attend NYC meetings.

The Suffolk County police never come to Saltaire. That's a lie. They investigate and arrest for felonies.

Saltaire residents benefit using the Town and County roads to get to Saltaire, using the schools, and using County and State Hospitals where they're airlifted to.

Are the homes that are provided to your employees reported as income to the IRS and NYS. And your camp director and recreational director and head lifeguard need summer homes to work. You give these people free ferry tickets and free parking.

Give me, and give all non-Saltaire New York STate residents a break. And, realize that your twisted and distorted and myopic and self centered and arrogant view of your sense of entitlement does not play with the world outside of Saltaire. You people really don't get it.
Cheryl

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Jul 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Gimmeabreak wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich folks trying to "rip off" the poor folks. Let's examine that for a moment. The rich folks in this equation are people who pay hefty taxes. The poor folks are those that don't pay taxes, but somehow you believe are more entitled to receiving the "rich folks" money than the "rich folks". This basically boils down to racism and socialism. As in how dare " **** " think they can get a return on their tax dollars and get equal protection and equal treatment under the law and socialism in that "what are you thinking you are the rich and we are the poor and it is your job to pay us and not expect anything in return for the overwhelming amount of your earnings that are impounded to support entitlement do nothings". Class envy socialist agenda is what this is.
Firstly, Sure hope you stay in Canada. Secondly, as a very well off friend of mine once said: NEVER underestimate the GREED factor. I rest my case.
OhWellSchitHappe ns

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Jul 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

VOS1 wrote:
As a Saltaire resident let me say that not all of us think we need this $2.5m. Also,let me correct some of the statements made by other Newsday readers:
-The Whitney family is the one who would be bailed out, NOT Saltaire. They have not performed any upkeep on the property for years. They can't sell the Store because they ran it into the ground.
-The Village does have public facilities. You can not operate a public beach in Suffolk without them.
-Village meetings are held in the City and Saltaire (via video link) in the winter so that all residents may attend meetings.
-The Village does not have the services of the Suffolk County Police. The Police can be called in, but do not patrol the Village. Town of Islip Police NEVER come to Saltaire.
-Village taxes do pay for Police, roads, schools, and other public services that most seasonal Saltaire residents do not benefit from more than 3 months a year. You're welcome.
-The Village does not receive any tax revenue from the County, or Town of Islip. The Village has its own security force, own garbage collection, water system and maintenance staff that is paid for with Saltaire tax dollars.
-Students from the Fire Island School District are bused to local schools for high school, but that is paid for by Fire Island tax payers. The Ocean Beach school has less than 50 students but we spend $25k + per student. Talk about an outrage!
-The Village does provide housing for some employees. These are not ocean front homes with swimming pools. The year-round Village employees are required to live there to keep their jobs. Would you like to be required to sleep at work??
Bail out your neighbors on your own dime.
fantasin

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Jul 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

This Fire Island community sits in the middle of a Federal reserve, so why not use the billions of dollars already appropriated for the U.S.Interior Department. They have only released a few million dollars and are desperate for shovel ready projects to throw money at. This will then burden everyone else in the country with the 2.5 Million debt, rather than NYS. This is change to believe in!
Have another donut

Fort Lee, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Jul 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

fantasin wrote:
This Fire Island community sits in the middle of a Federal reserve, so why not use the billions of dollars already appropriated for the U.S.Interior Department. They have only released a few million dollars and are desperate for shovel ready projects to throw money at. This will then burden everyone else in the country with the 2.5 Million debt, rather than NYS. This is change to believe in!
All of FI is shovel-ready.

Bulldoze the entire spit back to a dune.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
Verizon Fios vs Optimum on line (Mar '08) Aug 18 Roger 122
Man sentenced in fatal Islip Terrace DWI - (Aug '07) Aug 17 zdy 3
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Aug 17 Skip Mastermaker 1,325
CENTEREACH: Ex-student ordered off school campus (Mar '08) Aug 17 seldens finast 523
Hamas agrees to extend cease-fire with Israel, ... Aug 14 RayOne 1
Black guy in patchwork On main st. Aug 10 JASON JONES 2

Search the Fire Island Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fire Island News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fire Island
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••