Saltaire seeks $2.5M from state to re...

Saltaire seeks $2.5M from state to revamp a store

There are 60 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 19, 2009, titled Saltaire seeks $2.5M from state to revamp a store. In it, Newsday reports that:

The tony Fire Island village of Saltaire is seeking $2.5 million in state funds to revitalize its downtown - a single grocery store.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Captain Jack

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Jul 20, 2009
bull doze it and make a park for the money.
Fire Wood

Lenexa, KS

#27 Jul 20, 2009
Either way the Whitney family wins since they are owners of nearby grocery stores. Oh and whay a boom it would be for employment to the area contractors from the same snob hole,since those are the 10 year round residents.why don't we donate to repairing their dunes too.
buy it

Patchogue, NY

#28 Jul 20, 2009
I'm gonna buy it and double the cost of all the goods sold there. If the residents stop shopping because of that, I'll turn it into a bunch of summer rental units.
DJJ

Middle Island, NY

#29 Jul 20, 2009
Let's see. Saltaire refuses to have any facilities to allow the public to access and enjoy the town, yet it wants the public to pay for its fois gras store. Economically, if the public refuses to pay, home values will go down, and those who can't afford access to the town may be able to gain it. Hmmm.
baronvonfirstinb ed

Highland, NY

#30 Jul 20, 2009
more welfare for the rich.this is a joke.if they have 2.5 million that $$ should be used for upgrading the infrastructure,or the roads,or something that benefits fire island as a whole.
John

Sunnyside, NY

#31 Jul 20, 2009
Let’s do the math. 400 homes worth $500 million, that’s an average value of $1.25 million each. Ten families live there year round for a cost of $250,000 per year round family to buy the market so that it can be operated longer each year. I’ll bet that if made economic sense to stay open longer each year, the present owner would do so.
This is no more than welfare for the rich.
charge it

Rye, NY

#32 Jul 20, 2009
What makes the Village's request for our taxpayer dollars more obscene is that the Village wants the money to BUY the store so that the Village can then rent the property out. Since when does a government go into the rental business, financing its acquisition of private property with taxpayers' money.

If the Village wants to take over the property, why doesn't just condemn the property and take it by eminent domain, using the wealthy Village residents tax dollars to achieve its apparent purpose.
mook

Sayville, NY

#33 Jul 20, 2009
buy the place and turn it into a strip club
down2earth

Brentwood, NY

#34 Jul 20, 2009
Absolutely ridiculous!!!!!.....and the rich get richer......!!!!
unreal

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#35 Jul 20, 2009
the only reason they want to do this is because the whitneys know that piece of shit market isn't worth the 1.75mil that there asking and the only way there going to get it is this way...and btw if somehow this happens, guess who the saltaire admin is going to pay to run it...you got it..the whitneys!! give me break

that hole community should just be flooded since theirs only like 3 or 4nice family s over there...everyone else sucks
Saltaire Resident nwa

Flushing, NY

#36 Jul 20, 2009
It's unfortunately clear that the venomous comments are posted by readers do not realize that the 400+ homes pay substantial Suffolk County/ Town of Islip taxes to pay for the schools and other mainland services from which Saltaire residents derive no benefit, as well as Saltaire Village taxes. You are enriched by Saltaire homeowners, and yes, we have a right to ask for a share of a tax pot into which we make substantial contributions.

We are a group devoted to the maintenance of a natural environment that benefits you, or did it not occur to the reader who wants Fire Island reduced to a sandbar that without it waves would crash into your Bulkheads?

Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century, and the point of the urban revitalization funding is to support exactly that in a way that creates jobs -- at least 25 jobs, people who come over from the mainland, will be lost if the store closes.
MLK day

Hackettstown, NJ

#37 Jul 20, 2009
Unbelievable!
mook

Sayville, NY

#38 Jul 20, 2009
Saltaire Resident nwa wrote:
It's unfortunately clear that the venomous comments are posted by readers do not realize that the 400+ homes pay substantial Suffolk County/ Town of Islip taxes to pay for the schools and other mainland services from which Saltaire residents derive no benefit, as well as Saltaire Village taxes. You are enriched by Saltaire homeowners, and yes, we have a right to ask for a share of a tax pot into which we make substantial contributions.
We are a group devoted to the maintenance of a natural environment that benefits you, or did it not occur to the reader who wants Fire Island reduced to a sandbar that without it waves would crash into your Bulkheads?
Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century, and the point of the urban revitalization funding is to support exactly that in a way that creates jobs -- at least 25 jobs, people who come over from the mainland, will be lost if the store closes.
if you're so hot to preserve the natural environment, let the whole community go back to nature -- stop asking us for bailouts after every storm
charge it

Rye, NY

#39 Jul 20, 2009
I know people who live in Saltaire and what the story doesn't tell you is that the Village of Saltaire doesn't hold its meetings in Saltaire in the winter months. Seems that the Village government really doesn't want to be there (in Saltaire).

The Village holds some of its winter meetings in New York City. Now how's that for wanting to be a Suffolk County resident.

This Village is unbelievable. It wants our hard earned tax dollars to buy a grocery store, claiming that it might be open for 9 months and yet the people who run the government don't want to be there to govern there from November to April.

This Village should figure out where is there.

And to the Saltaire resident who says like many long established small towns, Saltaire is trying to preserve a way of life, I ask you what type of way of life. Sounds to me that Saltaire is trying to preserve feudalism. And, my friend, I'm not willing to be your serf even though you're near the surf. So don't expect me to pay for your local grocery store and liquor store.

And, my fellow NY taxpayers Saltaire has a pending application for Stimulus funds of $2.6 million to create and operate its own ferry service. See this website. https://www.nysdot.gov/recovery/repository/Fe...

Talk about taking the public's money!! Has this Village any decency. I think not.
charge it

Rye, NY

#41 Jul 20, 2009
Saltaire Resident nwa wrote:
It's unfortunately clear that the venomous comments are posted by readers do not realize that the 400+ homes pay substantial Suffolk County/ Town of Islip taxes to pay for the schools and other mainland services from which Saltaire residents derive no benefit, as well as Saltaire Village taxes.

Like many long-established small towns, we are trying to preserve a way of life that dates back a century, and the point of the urban revitalization funding is to support exactly that in a way that creates jobs -- at least 25 jobs, people who come over from the mainland, will be lost if the store closes.
You get Suffolk County police service. You get the use of Suffolk County roads and waterways. Your students are bused to mainland schools for high school. What services don't you get.

So you and your fellow residents should shop in the store. Support your local merchants. Don't buy your products on the mainland. In fact, if you want to make the store a success, enlist the support of your fellow residents of Saltaire and buy all your products in Saltaire and bring them back to the mainland.
just yest

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#42 Jul 20, 2009
Just yesterday I was taking the ferry home from Saltaire and some rich @s-hole made a scene and started a fight with one of the crew members because he was doing his job. He was giving this kid such a hard time that the kid had to go to the captain and the captain stooped the boat and had to talk to the guy(with no prevail) I believe. These people in Saltaire think so much of themselves that they don't care about anyone else and just treat people like complete shit and that there better then them. THEY NEED A WAKE UP CALL!!!
charge it

Rye, NY

#43 Jul 20, 2009
just yest wrote:
Just yesterday I was taking the ferry home from Saltaire and some rich @s-hole made a scene and started a fight with one of the crew members because he was doing his job. He was giving this kid such a hard time that the kid had to go to the captain and the captain stooped the boat and had to talk to the guy(with no prevail) I believe. These people in Saltaire think so much of themselves that they don't care about anyone else and just treat people like complete **** and that there better then them. THEY NEED A WAKE UP CALL!!!
You are so right, my friend.
Overblown

New Rochelle, NY

#44 Jul 20, 2009
Are you motha f#$%kin kidding me? I own a lemonade stand and would like a few million to renovate it too.
Spenditwhereitsp aid

Sayville, NY

#45 Jul 20, 2009
charge it wrote:
<quoted text>
You get Suffolk County police service. You get the use of Suffolk County roads and waterways. Your students are bused to mainland schools for high school. What services don't you get.
So you and your fellow residents should shop in the store. Support your local merchants. Don't buy your products on the mainland. In fact, if you want to make the store a success, enlist the support of your fellow residents of Saltaire and buy all your products in Saltaire and bring them back to the mainland.
Thanks for making their point. They are entitled to "stimulus" money just like any other community. I'd rather see it go to Saltaire than to waste it in Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport, North Bellport......you get the idea. So the way I see it you have some kind of how dare they expect to get grant money attitude because you perceive them as "rich" but it's ok to take from them so that some scam artist community activist can use it on some blighted S hole.

Man have you got your priorities screwed up.
news boy

Scottsdale, AZ

#46 Jul 20, 2009
The tony Fire Island village of Saltaire is seeking $2.5 million in state funds to revitalize its downtown - a single grocery store.

The store is open four months a year and is the only retail business in the village, which has 400 houses and only 10 families who live there year-round.

The proposal acknowledges "the village of Saltaire might not be considered an urban center so to speak," but it notes Saltaire Market is its commercial district. The grocery store is an integral part of the village, a place where residents gather to chat, trade news and socialize,

Mayor Scott Rosenblum said.

"It's really a main focus of day-to-day life in the village," said Rosenblum, who summers in Saltaire and lives in Westchester County the remainder of the year.

Eric Alexander, executive director of Vision Long Island, a nonprofit planning group that promotes downtown revitalization, said the Island has many proposals worth funding.

"We have a list of projects we go to bat for. This is not on our list," he said of Saltaire's proposal. "If it were to be funded, it could be one of the more bizarre projects we've seen subsidized by taxpayers."

Village manager Mario Posillico

said some residents use their homes in the shoulder seasons - spring into summer, and summer into fall - and more would do the same if services like the grocery store were available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Co-Op For Sale 4 hr Rob 1
Why are Suffolk County Courts so incompetent an... (Jul '06) Jul 28 heynowpeople 93
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Jul 27 El Cacique 1,387
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) Jul 22 WolfOfWallStreet 16
News Developer behind Patchogue's rebirth envisions ... Jul 16 Patchoade 3
News State closer to intervening in struggling schools Jul 15 val 1
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) Jul 10 Lassie 28
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fire Island Mortgages