Fire Islanders call for erosion solution, more police

Full story: Newsday

At their annual meeting Saturday, Fire Island residents voiced their desire for more police officers and expressed concern about beach erosion on the South Shore barrier island.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Jul 23, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lies

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 18, 2009
Dormer ; the County Exec's doormat; lies. They keep cutting police services and tell you there's more.
ridiculous

Oceanside, NY

#2 Jul 18, 2009
So Dormer is lying again! Is anyone suprised? There are less cops in the Marine Bureau detail than any onther summer in the past, and good ol' Richie Dormer will tell you there is more than ever. Its amazing how this man can lie to the public and it dies with that lie. Suffolk County is getting screwed by Dormer and Levy and its ok! Good coverage Newsday, you are officially a lame rag magazine!
Impeach Levy

Oceanside, NY

#3 Jul 18, 2009
There should be enough influential people on fire island to not let this go with Dormers lies. They need to pursue this further. The man is outright lying about the numbers. Just the low life piece of garbage Steve Levy needed to carry out his plans of cutting police service to Suffolk county residents. No one with any sort of morals would go through with the cuts Dormer performs at Levys request. And then purger themself and lie the way this man does.
Dormer lies

Piscataway, NJ

#4 Jul 18, 2009
Dormer is telling lies again. He is selling his soul for his job. He lies and makes up numbers. He knows that if he tells the truth about staffing that Stevie Levy will fire him. He has no honor and is misleading the public. He is a dishonest person and a very sad man. He is just as guilty as Levy.
anymouse

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Jul 18, 2009
Erosion Solution?????

NATURE

should nt build on a BARRIER ISLAND anyhow

nuff said

fugetaboutit
Schlomo

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jul 18, 2009
F these people. They are residents for 1/6 the year and want more and more. The Pines no less. Beacuse there are affluent gays like Michael Kors living there?? Screm them. 2 cops is a lie. I have seen more than 2 standing around in 1 spot this summer. SAve your axe to grind w/ Dormer and Levy for another subject.
When George Hesse and 4 other cops beat that idiot from the city who deserved the beating, that defeats the "only 2 police officers' argument.
tax payer

Bronx, NY

#7 Jul 18, 2009
The sad part is that steve levy has us all eating out of the palm of his hands. As soon as anybody goes against ANYTHING he says he threatens that taxes will go up. The fact is I pay just a little bit more for police than i do for garbage pick up. If he is saving us all this money, where is my refund or reduction?
Sand dollars

Tobyhanna, PA

#8 Jul 18, 2009
A former Suffolk County Executive with a pair of gonads, John Klein once said "if you build in the jaws of the Atlantic Ocean expect to be bitten". When will these whining Fire Islander's stop trying to con the mainland with the false argument that pumping sand in front of wealthy oceanfront home owner palaces serves any benefit for the taxpayer's who will have to foot the bill for this form of folly? Enough all ready--let nature be nature and do what comes naturally.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#9 Jul 18, 2009
What is Dormer saying? That police presence is increased on Fire Island. Is he nuts. The scary part is he actually believes what he is saying. What happened to the summer hires for marine Bureau? They want to ax marine bureau at the end of this season. No patrols no boats no safety. The Marine bureau officers should be commended for their outstanding work this summer under very difficult conditions. The two saves of whole familys on sinking boats in the sound the last two weeks are excellent examples of reasons why we need to keep Marine Bureau and need to keep Marine Bureau strong. Playing with the safety of residents of Suffolk County is not the way to go. If residents and visitors from out of town do not feel safe for their excursions to fire Island they will not return. That will not be good for Fire Island Suffolk county and all the business that Fire Island generates for the local economy..
Jane

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jul 18, 2009
Most day trippers are not un-ruley. They just think they own the Island.
Phil Levy

AOL

#11 Jul 18, 2009
And Nolan stands there and says go talk to the county to provide security. After the shooting at a town park in Brentwood all that happened, call the county.

Rich, pooor youv'e got to give Nolan credit he blames thew county all the time.

Hey did anybody figure it out that it's all about blaming someone else.

Little Levy in a big pond!
Suffolk is DWI County

Hampton Bays, NY

#12 Jul 18, 2009
Don't you think the population and tourist growth in LI has increased in the last 20 years? Get with the program..you can't run the PD like a business because your risking peoples LIVES. Suffok County has become dwi county. the Sheriffs are giving out DWI warnings Ha Ha Ha
Insanity

Oceanside, NY

#13 Jul 18, 2009
Dormer you are a disgrace and should give what little honor you can still give to that family name of yours and resign. If you were my father I would be ashamed of you, and change my name. But then look at your kids, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Has your drunk son been at anymore drunken knife fights at 3 in the morning lately. Disgusting!
Stevy Levy Fan

Edison, NJ

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Interesting cast of characters....see where Levy and Ginny Fields have lead an entire community into ruins....

www.levylead.com
ByeByeSummer

AOL

#15 Jul 18, 2009
First off-- we all know thatbuilding on a barrier island is just asking for trouble, it's the same heartache and drama for decades. Secondly, daytrippers are not the unruly problem on fire island--it's the summer group renters. Blame the greedy beach house owners who don't care about their neighbors or the island and rent their places to groups of 9, 10 or more for the need for extra police presence.
DRB

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Jul 19, 2009
You know how you can tell if Dormer is lying? His lips are moving!
MR OY

Patchogue, NY

#17 Jul 19, 2009
Why is the government continuing to replace beaches on Fire Island? It's called nature. Getting sick & tired of replacing the beaches so the fat cats can keep their houses out there. If the wash away condemn the land and return it to a natural state. No more building to replace damaged houses. Wonder what the kickbacks are to the politicians to keep this vicious cycle going?
wizzard

Wharton, NJ

#18 Jul 19, 2009
DORMER= LIES
OhWellSchitHappe ns

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jul 19, 2009
Nothing can be done to fight erosion. If the houses wash away, that was nature's will.
N0-Bama

Yorktown Heights, NY

#20 Jul 19, 2009
Suffolk is DWI County wrote:
Don't you think the population and tourist growth in LI has increased in the last 20 years? Get with the program..you can't run the PD like a business because your risking peoples LIVES. Suffok County has become dwi county. the Sheriffs are giving out DWI warnings Ha Ha Ha
another EX suffolk highway cop.... get a grip you LOST....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fire Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 3 hr Nina 16,779
Iconic Entenmann's factory set to shut down in NY 4 hr southside johnny 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 10 hr Joe 1,337
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
Gay Friendly Sayville? Aug 26 Peter Cheeks 1
Review: Lisa's K9 Rescue Aug 25 lisas k9 rescue f... 1
Man arrested in Internet sting with Miss Americ... (May '07) Aug 24 sweetkisses2014 397
•••
•••
•••

Fire Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fire Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fire Island News, Events & Info