Game On: Male Cheerleader Refuses to ...

Game On: Male Cheerleader Refuses to Quit After Bullies Attack

There are 108 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Sep 24, 2010, titled Game On: Male Cheerleader Refuses to Quit After Bullies Attack. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

A Glenwood Middle School student says his arm was broken by two classmates who were bullying him because he's a cheerleader.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jeff Kupetz

United States

#1 Sep 24, 2010
I am 16 and give you credit. Stay strong and hope you get that full ride. Hope you don't need surgery but dont give up.
Look at the real story

Ashtabula, OH

#2 Sep 24, 2010
Stick with it buddy! I play soccer, but I wish I could do all that tumbling and flipping stuff! That's some cool moves!

Keep up the good work!
LBJ is a jig spook

Cleveland, OH

#3 Sep 24, 2010
this poor kid needs a REAL male influence in his life, what the h@ll did the parents think was going to happen, let's be realistic. Chastising the kid is horrible but the facts of life are what he has to deal with and what the parents need to prepare him for. If he were my son, I would have had a chat with him about the bee's and the bee's and reminded him that the bird really was the bee's partner......Call me a schmuck, it's what you really want to say.....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
S Skylark Bruce

Cleveland, OH

#4 Sep 24, 2010
LBJ, I agree, let's stuff all people into rigid gender role boxes according to their genitalia and enforce these roles at all costs. Real men don't cry, eat quiche, enjoy cheerleading or dance for anything other than sex appeal, appreciate people who aren't in lock step with them on society's gender behaviors... or hide behind pseudonyms on the internet. I'm not ashamed to be the same person online as I am offline.

The people who need a "real male influence" in their lives are the bullies. They need to be taught that it is absolutely unacceptable to pick on someone, especially for something as inconsequential as having a penis while cheerleading.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
S Skylark Bruce

Cleveland, OH

#5 Sep 24, 2010
Hmmm. Interesting that an anatomically-correct word for a male body part is not allowed in comments.
Frustrated

United States

#6 Sep 24, 2010
Let Tyler break their arms and maybe get a couple bigger guys to kick the sh-- out of them.
Honest

Wadsworth, OH

#7 Sep 24, 2010
My cousin was a male Cheerleader at Florida State and his marry with 3 kids now I was in Gymnastics growing up and It help me be a better Baseball and football player. Guys it's time to get of the high house
Nee-Nee

Gulf Breeze, FL

#8 Sep 24, 2010
I dont understand this. Its apperently not okay for a boy to be a cheerleader but its okay for girls to play football and all them other male sports??!?? what is going on with kids these days?!?? parents need to keep their kids under control. These kids today is whats making other kids not want to go to school and get an education. All because of sexist stuff like this! ITS DUMB
jbd612

AOL

#9 Sep 24, 2010
It is the schools responsibility to make sure every child is safe while participating in any school sponsored activity...but since this was a city sponsored football team he was cheering for the city should help bear the responsibility for this child's suffering.

If both sides would come together and work towards teaching all our children the value of character everyone could be helped. I don't think just leaving it to the prosecutor to resolve is going to resolve anything. The issue goes deeper.

I hope this young man is able to pursue any goals he has and succeed without harrassment and fear.
Sue in Barberton

Stow, OH

#10 Sep 25, 2010
Jeff Kupetz wrote:
I am 16 and give you credit. Stay strong and hope you get that full ride. Hope you don't need surgery but dont give up.
Tyler, children can be very cruel. I believe most of the time, they don't mean to be cruel. They also don't think of the consequences for their actions. But you stay strong. If you want to be a cheerleader, then stick to it. Don't let those boys, change your mind. Many of the colleges, and universities have male cheerleaders. Are there any gymnastics clubs in your area? What about gymnastics at your local YMCA? Sounds like we could be hearing this young mans name with the word Olympics next to it. So go for the gold! Some day those other boys will be pea green with envy.
Kelly

United States

#11 Sep 25, 2010
You GO Tyler!!!!! Those kids are clueless. What you are doing is a sport. It requires the use of all of your muscles AND your brain to learn and memorize the moves. I love watching college cheerleading competitions on TV and if you stick with it, you will be on TV, too. Don't ever give up your dreams. Hold your head high, Tyler. I'm rooting for you!!
mapleman

Cleveland, OH

#12 Sep 25, 2010
Something I dread. My son stops playing sports and signs up to be a cheerleader. No basketball, no wrestling, no football, not even cross country. He tells me he will be a cheerleader.

I would support his choice, but I'd let him know the kids are going to make fun of him. It's only normal. Nothing wrong with males making fun of other males for perceived unmanly behavior. It's not a disease. It's not a mental disorder. It's life.

No father wants to go watch his son be a cheerleader.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rodney

Youngstown, OH

#13 Sep 25, 2010
I can remember at least back in the day of seeing male cheerleaders in College Football, So, What seems to be the problem???
Hey Barack Im Baroke

Wooster, OH

#14 Sep 25, 2010
Get well soon Tyler. You do what you want to do. The bullies that hurt you should be thrown off what ever team they are on. Time for parents to teach there little bullies a lesson.
Doug F Cleve Hghts OH

United States

#15 Sep 25, 2010
George W. Bush was a cheerleader, and he's a great role-model, right?
But seriously... the school board bullies gotta bully the school admin bullies... maybe even get the police bullies involved and all together, take the student bullies aside and bully them into NOT being bullies.
It's a FUBAR world in which that's the way it actually works... but that's the way it actually works.
Do it.
Do it now.
IMtheRaider

London, UK

#16 Sep 25, 2010
mapleman wrote:
Something I dread. My son stops playing sports and signs up to be a cheerleader. No basketball, no wrestling, no football, not even cross country. He tells me he will be a cheerleader.
I would support his choice, but I'd let him know the kids are going to make fun of him. It's only normal. Nothing wrong with males making fun of other males for perceived unmanly behavior. It's not a disease. It's not a mental disorder. It's life.
No father wants to go watch his son be a cheerleader.
Mapleman you clearly aren't mature enough to be a parent and I hope your son is 'manly' enough to meet the conditions of satisfaction you set out for him, for his sake.
joe

Chardon, OH

#17 Sep 25, 2010
S Skylark Bruce wrote:
Hmmm. Interesting that an anatomically-correct word for a male body part is not allowed in comments.
You have to just type DICK.It should go through.
Luckymom1989

Cleveland, OH

#18 Sep 25, 2010
Tyler has every right to pursue his goals. Contrary to the beliefs of a couple of neanderthals in this discussion, not every male has to follow the same boring path.
Pat B

United States

#19 Sep 25, 2010
Tyler should be allowed to be whatever he wants to be and his parents should stand behind him. CHEERLEADING is not just for girls Ihate to say. check out the college teams, young men are needed for the cheerleaders to fly high during the cheers and they are stong enought to do this. GO TYLER GO, BE A CHEERLEADER, pursue your dreams and no one stand in your way.. I hope the boys that hurt Tyler get whats coming to them and this should include the parents of the bullies too!!!!!!
Britany

High Point, NC

#20 Sep 25, 2010
kids these days are horrible. there is nuthin wrong at all with a boy beein on a cheerleadin squad. i hope them kids that did it get what they deserve. && keep doin what your doin boy. dont let anyone ruin what you love doin.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Findlay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is the Cheri Brooks thread? 6 hr DONNA 6
Carrie 6 hr Caroline 4
Findlay police explain policy on lethal force Jul 17 murder witness 4
Anyone wanna have fun? Jul 15 CutieMeghan 2
Thplastics Jun '15 Get tips 1
News UF students to host African Night Jun '15 lion 2
Critics Claim The Fury of Mad Max Was Worth th... Jun '15 Culture Auditor 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Findlay Mortgages