Lesbian cadet who quit seeks return t...

Lesbian cadet who quit seeks return to West Point

There are 42 comments on the Topeka Capital-Journal story from Nov 26, 2010, titled Lesbian cadet who quit seeks return to West Point. In it, Topeka Capital-Journal reports that:

FINDLAY, Ohio - Katherine Miller got pretty good at hiding her sexuality in high school, brushing off questions about her weekend plans and referring to her girlfriend, Kristin, as "Kris." She figured she could pull it off at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, too.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Topeka Capital-Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bobby19

New York, NY

#1 Nov 26, 2010
She's jumping the gun. And I doubt they will let anyone back in, for any reason, if they quit.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 26, 2010
Screw her. Should we let Sarah Palin back as governor too? You quit and you are done. You blew it kid
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Nov 26, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
Screw her. Should we let Sarah Palin back as governor too? You quit and you are done. You blew it kid
I don't think it's that cut and dried. On one hand, she gives ammuniation to the anti-gay set who don't like anything gay, and they can point to her changing her mind. Is that the hallmark of a good officer, especially in combat? On the other hand, she's showing the courage to take the heat for her coming out and for her decision to leave... and try to come back. Is that a characteristic of a good officer? Yes, it is.

You even mentioned that she's still essentially a kid. I don't know about you, but I made some major mistakes as a kid. I made some mistakes when I was in the military. Would you be willing to have your entire life judged on every mistake you made at her age?

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 26, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
Your Christian forgiveness is noted. Get a life.

Location hidden

#5 Nov 26, 2010
I am sorry but qualities of a good officer do not include running when the battle gets too intense. She is showing that she made a mistake. We have all made mistakes and this is one that she will not be able to correct. It is not a gay/anti-gay issue anymore. Nobody has walked away from West Point and ever been able to come back. Do you think she will still be nominated by the same congressman? You never really know with politicians though
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think it's that cut and dried. On one hand, she gives ammuniation to the anti-gay set who don't like anything gay, and they can point to her changing her mind. Is that the hallmark of a good officer, especially in combat? On the other hand, she's showing the courage to take the heat for her coming out and for her decision to leave... and try to come back. Is that a characteristic of a good officer? Yes, it is.
You even mentioned that she's still essentially a kid. I don't know about you, but I made some major mistakes as a kid. I made some mistakes when I was in the military. Would you be willing to have your entire life judged on every mistake you made at her age?

Location hidden

#6 Nov 26, 2010
Get a clue loser
pauline 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Christian forgiveness is noted. Get a life.

Location hidden

#7 Nov 26, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
Get a clue loser
<quoted text>
Speaking to yourself a lot? may be the sign of a mega looser.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 26, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
I am sorry but qualities of a good officer do not include running when the battle gets too intense. She is showing that she made a mistake. We have all made mistakes and this is one that she will not be able to correct. It is not a gay/anti-gay issue anymore. Nobody has walked away from West Point and ever been able to come back. Do you think she will still be nominated by the same congressman? You never really know with politicians though
<quoted text>
When was tha last time you were gay and had snything like this kind of conflict? And when was the last time you were in a fire fight?

I am not psychic enough to know the certainty of the future, i.e., if she can rectify this situation. And if her congressperson were to re-recommend her (if that's even necessary. I don't know for certain. Do you?), I'd fire off a very fast letter or email of support and congratulations re his or her integrity.

Were you ever in the military? Serious question, not a belittling one. By the sounds of your posts, my guess is that you haven't.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 26, 2010
Yes I certainly was and I certainly would never have respect for an officer who did this gay or straight. You think you need to be gay to understand conflict?
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>When was tha last time you were gay and had snything like this kind of conflict? And when was the last time you were in a fire fight?
I am not psychic enough to know the certainty of the future, i.e., if she can rectify this situation. And if her congressperson were to re-recommend her (if that's even necessary. I don't know for certain. Do you?), I'd fire off a very fast letter or email of support and congratulations re his or her integrity.
Were you ever in the military? Serious question, not a belittling one. By the sounds of your posts, my guess is that you haven't.

“Finding the unbiased truth”

Since: Nov 09

Realism, the realistic answer.

#10 Nov 27, 2010
pauline 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking to yourself a lot? may be the sign of a mega looser.
Being loose is not an issue, it's who is a loser or not.

That being said, I think my spelling-fascism has earned me the rank of top loser.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Nov 27, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
Yes I certainly was and I certainly would never have respect for an officer who did this gay or straight. You think you need to be gay to understand conflict?
<quoted text>
No, just intelligent... and capable of mature and complex thought. While we agree on some issues, given some of your rants, I'm not convinced your respect is anything I'd want.

Nor would I want you in my unit. Then again, I was Air Force. We're generally smarter than other services.

Location hidden

#12 Nov 27, 2010
So you can't refute the fact that many would know of this little error in judgment and she would never obtain respect even if she deserved it. Didn't Clinton say it was either the Air Force or Canada but there was no way he was actually going to fight?
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>No, just intelligent... and capable of mature and complex thought. While we agree on some issues, given some of your rants, I'm not convinced your respect is anything I'd want.
Nor would I want you in my unit. Then again, I was Air Force. We're generally smarter than other services.
Law Dog

AOL

#13 Nov 27, 2010
The law of the land is still "Don't ask, Don't tell." She knew the parameters.

Is it that the sodomite community wants to social engineer to allow open "swishing" in the ranks? They are already allowed in the Military as long as they keep their groping,voyeurism and insidious wishful thinking to themselves in the shower room.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Nov 27, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
So you can't refute the fact that many would know of this little error in judgment and she would never obtain respect even if she deserved it. Didn't Clinton say it was either the Air Force or Canada but there was no way he was actually going to fight?
<quoted text>
I don't refute that you have an OPINION to which you are entitled. Your opinion is not fact. I don't agree with your OPINION and an intelligent person, especially in the military, judges a person on performance. It happens to be MY opinion that there are many stupid peiople, in and out of the military who would share your opinion. In your own words, you claim that even if she DESERVED respect, you and others who share your opinion would not give it. My opinion is that that's stupid.

And what does Clinton have to do with this issue anyway?

I'm delighted to know that you have never had an error in judgement or performance that would ever cause anyone to not respect you. No wait, your position and narrow minbdedness in this matter is an error in judgement that causes me to not respect you.

Now THAT'S a fact!
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 27, 2010
Law Dog wrote:
Is it that the sodomite community wants to social engineer to allow open "swishing" in the ranks? They are already allowed in the Military as long as they keep their groping,voyeurism and insidious wishful thinking to themselves in the shower room.
Do people really call gays sodomites and expect to be taken seriously? You sound like a tightass, pompous, self righteous, self important idiot.
Dingo

Fair Oaks, CA

#16 Nov 27, 2010
YOU never been in the Military.., right?
Law Dog wrote:

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Parksley, VA

#17 Nov 27, 2010
Law Dog wrote:
(Major General Closet Case reporting for duty.)

Location hidden

#18 Nov 27, 2010
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>No, just intelligent... and capable of mature and complex thought. While we agree on some issues, given some of your rants, I'm not convinced your respect is anything I'd want.
There were other forces!

Location hidden

#19 Nov 27, 2010
You are correct that she should be judged on performance but an intelligent person can see that thus far her performance is less than stellar. Any intelligent person would be able to see that. Would Sarah Palin ever gain your respect back? Sorry but quitters never deserve that respect
It figures an Air Force guy isn't bright enough to pick up on the Clinton line but then again it is probably the blinders you wear as you walk through life that keeps you from seeing clearly
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I don't refute that you have an OPINION to which you are entitled. Your opinion is not fact. I don't agree with your OPINION and an intelligent person, especially in the military, judges a person on performance. It happens to be MY opinion that there are many stupid peiople, in and out of the military who would share your opinion. In your own words, you claim that even if she DESERVED respect, you and others who share your opinion would not give it. My opinion is that that's stupid.
And what does Clinton have to do with this issue anyway?
I'm delighted to know that you have never had an error in judgement or performance that would ever cause anyone to not respect you. No wait, your position and narrow minbdedness in this matter is an error in judgement that causes me to not respect you.
Now THAT'S a fact!

“You'll love me!”

Since: Sep 10

I promise.

#20 Nov 27, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
...it is probably the blinders you wear as you walk through life that keeps you from seeing clearly
<quoted text>
Ironic coming from you Abel.

I hope all is well with you BS Detector! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and all of that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Findlay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A renewed mind Apr 29 Adiemas 2
Cassity Green (Aug '11) Apr '16 Findlay Rez 4
Kayla farr Feb '16 Blase 1
Tara Brubaker? Feb '16 Ayee 1
David Young (Feb '15) Feb '16 T smith 5
Review: Optical Shop In Meijer Jan '16 Wei Thomas 1
Findlay courts and the corruption that goes wit... Dec '15 New beginnings 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Findlay Mortgages