Fernley - New Convention Center

Fernley - New Convention Center

Posted in the Fernley Forum

CJ Gueldner

Reno, NV

#1 Jan 15, 2010

Dear Fernley City Council Members:

Fernley could use a new convention center.

Hi all, thought I would write about this idea I had and wanted to share it with all the residents of Fernley. I am not sure if any Fernley residents will read it, much less care, but - here goes.....

First of all, to be upfront I am not a resident of Fernley, however, I was a past resident for 8 years, though. I am just a citizen who cares about what happens to Fernley and wants positive things to happen in Fernley.

It would be nice if the City of Fernley took some of that sales tax money that they now have and leased one of the empty warehouse spaces (appx 6,000 s.f. would suffice for the size of the City), in Fernley to make a new convention center that ANYONE can rent.

Presently there is space at City Hall to use, however, their policy dictates that one MUST be a non-profit in order to use the space...that's not good for the general public's needs.

The old Fernley Community Center building run by the ladies of the Lutheran Church and the Fernley Improvement Club does have a great location on Main and Center Streets, however parking is not the best and the facilities are very out-dated. It desperately needs modern bathrooms that are ADA accessible and a modern commercial kitchen facility for the customers to use.

While the existing Fernley Community Center did serve its purpose in the good ole days - we need modern facilities. I believe that the City of Fernley has pretty much turned its back on the business at hand that does put the citizens' health and well-being at risk every time they use the existing Fernley Community Center. The kitchen, bathrooms and interior ceilings should also be tested for mold issues. It could very well be the case of "What you can't see - CAN hurt you".

If the City of Fernley were to lease space (not build a brand new building) in the warehouse district of Fernley, a lot could be done with an open shell of a warehouse. All you have to do is use your imagination. My simple ideas include nice, streaming curtains from ceiling to floor; a commercial kitchen for wedding receptions and other major functions; decorative stained/painted cement flooring to accent the curtains would be a nice touch too. The sky is the limit on creativity. The city kings and queens should at least review the possibilities and maybe conduct a feasibility study for the best interest of the community. Once you have the space rented on a regular basis – then eventually build a stage for performing arts.

The other idea I had was - it would be a great place for the Fernley Chamber of Commerce to work. My thought was – you let them use the space and in turn, the Chamber could be responsible for renting the building out for large and small functions. The Chamber good earn a few coins and the City could do the same. For the whole - the City gets the majority of the money – the Chamber gets the free space to promote Fernley and it’s a win-win situation for all! And the Chamber could host their monthly luncheons there. Let’s face it, a convention center/community center is just one amenity that new residents look for.

Yes, it will cost some funds – but remember – you’ll get it back by charging fair market value to your customers. The other side of the coin is - when the building goes “dark”– other ideas would be is to host a weekly event called,“Movies at the Warehouse”– you’ll make your money back in concessions. I think you should at least look into it. Pastor Rod at the Journey Community Church has the equipment. The City of Fernley has the people – what more could one ask for?!

Thanks for reading this letter from a non-resident.

United States

#2 Jan 23, 2010
Fernley needs to "get it's act together" before it considers building and providing a convention center to try to attract people from outside to come to Fernley and bring badly needed dollars to the city. First, the city needs to have professional, competent, and ethical city government and good leadership. Second, it needs an attractive town center to replace the slum-town appearance of the current town center. Third, it needs to have events that people, not just the local "Ferntuckians," will want to come to. And finally forth, it needs a positive vision of the future; with the current lack of and failure of leadership, it does not/will not have this. No amount of "wishful thinking" will bring positive change to Fernley... it is all about competent leadership and hard work.
Former Fernley Resident

Sparks, NV

#3 Feb 8, 2010
How about something positive from Citizen4Fernley?

Reno, NV

#5 Feb 11, 2010
I actually agree with Citizen4Ferleny with one addition. I feel that in order to improve the areas image the residents need to pitch in as well, not just the leadership. I have met some really amazing people in Fernely, I have also met some amazingly "hillbilly" people, full on jerks. When I was 8 months pregnant I had one rude woman run into me THREE times with her shopping cart and then attempt to run down my then 3 year old daughter. My child ended up with a knot on her head and my foot was left bleeding badly enough that the store manager needed to get me bandages. I had never seen the woman before in my life as I was new to the area, so its not like we had a history. She also called me some colorful names when i jumped out in front of her to prevent her from running my child down, she was trying to slam my daughter between my shopping cart and hers.
I watched someone slam their car door into my car and when I said "hey, thats my car" they laughed and told me to "get the f*** over it." These were not teenagers, these were grown adults. I could name countless other examples, but the fact is that I have encountered more rude people in this area than any other area I have lived in. I honestly feel that the rudeness of some locals contributes to the negative views of "Ferntucky."

If Fernely wants to draw people from nearby cities for events and such not only does the city need a facelift, but some of the residents need to learn some manners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fernley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two men die at Sand Mountain over Nevada Day we... Nov 21 Nobody 2
News Nuisance workshop prompts four-hour discussion Nov 4 nonie higley 1
Virginia City Music Emporium (Oct '12) Oct 28 Musikologist 21
News Opening Statements to Begin Thursday in Jeremia... Jul '15 Luralee 1
News Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday (Apr '10) Apr '15 amanda 2
News Police: Fernley mother stabbed sleeping son (Nov '10) Dec '14 truthmongerdotinfo 8
News Fernley, Silver Springs centers earn health car... (Oct '14) Oct '14 movinon09 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fernley Mortgages