equalityboy81

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/articles/2009/02/...

Jail life

I'm Jessica T. Emmett and I'm an inmate at Nassau County Jail. I've been here for 22 days and this jail is the worst. I don't expect this to be a Holiday Inn or anything but I'm human just like the rest of the world.

Today is Feb 9. It's 7:30 a.m. and we as females are cold because they have the a/c on 24/7 even when it's 18 degrees outside, but you'll see the guards in coats, all warm and stuff. We complain about it all day everyday, but we hear it's nothing they can do about it, or even they say, "You're an inmate. You have no choice." Well, not like that but yeah, that's what they mean. I'm getting my second cold in here and I will refuse the meds because I'm not paying $60 for meds when it's not my fault for being sick.

About the meals: we get meals at 6:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. No snack at all. The portions are not enough. The food is nasty. We have only five minutes to eat and drink. During meals is the only time we can have a cup. We have to drink water from our sinks. I have to run upstairs to get it because we can't have a cup. But get this: we can order coffee, Kool-aid, etc., or store order but have no cup. Is something wrong with that or is it just me? As for a napkin, we use newspaper. So yeah, thanks News-Leader for the paper. Yeah, we will put our food on the paper when they take the trays from us. I never in my life seen human beings being treated so bad. It's awful.

We have no TV or radio. The days are boring and long. All we have is cards to play with. I don't see why we can't have board games? This place will make you go insane.

One of the cell's toilets was running for four days. The guards knew and we kept complaining about it. Now we have no hot water to take a shower with (two days without hot water!). They told us, "It's 300-plus people taking showers, so what do you expect?" Well, first off, we have had hot water until that one toilet was messed up and ran for four days.

This jail has mold, too. There's mold on the vents, on the metal bed frames, in and on the outside of the mattress. Sick, if you ask me, and we have to live like this. Can we as inmates get some help here? I know we are in here for different reasons, but no one should be treated like this. It seems as if all our rights are gone. And I believe every inmate has the right to be fed good, be warm and a few other things. I feel like we are dogs in a cell. Something needs to be done; I'm asking you for help.

Jessica T. Emmett, Yulee

Story created Feb 19, 2009 - 17:18:17 PST.
Seriously

Brunswick, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

So this is a sad story and yada yada. But seriously this girl was involved in an armed robbery, so frankly have fun at the NASSAU COUNTY HILTON, babe. You reap what you sow, and she wouldn't be in that situation if she hadn't done the crime!
equalityboy81

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Yeah, I know she's not entitled to TV and radio but I believe a lot of her human rights are being violated when it comes to humane treatment and sanitation. I don't think keeping the AC on during freezing weather should be punishment. While people lose certain rights while they are in jail they still legally retain human rights. Mold is a health hazard and can cause illness. I don't think people should have to drink out of a sink either. What the woman was arrested for is irrelevant to the inhumane way she is being treated. Keep in mind that not everyone that is arrested is guilty or convicted, some cannot afford to bond out. The whole bonding out thing makes you wonder about what happened to being innocent until proven guilty. I think it would save the taxpayers money if they only booked nonviolent criminals and gave them a summons to appear in court and then if they do not show up put them in jail and if they are not convicted then they would have never had to spend the night in jail. It would save the taxpayers money, lower jail costs, and leave more room for violent criminals and there would be less lawsuits. I know that wouldn't be good business for the bonds person though.

Also, cold showers, especially in freezing weather and cold AC, are not humane at all and can cause illness just like mold. And the toilet constantly running is not very environmental; it waste water. I can imagine when someone becomes very ill or there is a death there will be another lawsuit against Nassau County.

Since: Dec 07

Norridgewock, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

equalityboy81 wrote:
Yeah, I know she's not entitled to TV and radio but I believe a lot of her human rights are being violated when it comes to humane treatment and sanitation. I don't think keeping the AC on during freezing weather should be punishment. While people lose certain rights while they are in jail they still legally retain human rights. Mold is a health hazard and can cause illness. I don't think people should have to drink out of a sink either. What the woman was arrested for is irrelevant to the inhumane way she is being treated. Keep in mind that not everyone that is arrested is guilty or convicted, some cannot afford to bond out. The whole bonding out thing makes you wonder about what happened to being innocent until proven guilty. I think it would save the taxpayers money if they only booked nonviolent criminals and gave them a summons to appear in court and then if they do not show up put them in jail and if they are not convicted then they would have never had to spend the night in jail. It would save the taxpayers money, lower jail costs, and leave more room for violent criminals and there would be less lawsuits. I know that wouldn't be good business for the bonds person though.
Also, cold showers, especially in freezing weather and cold AC, are not humane at all and can cause illness just like mold. And the toilet constantly running is not very environmental; it waste water. I can imagine when someone becomes very ill or there is a death there will be another lawsuit against Nassau County.
Its JAIL. What do you expect? You loose certain rights and all privileges when you break the law. I bet there are way worse jails then this one too. Take responsibility for your actions, learn from your punishment, remember the punishment and the actions, learn from them, and move on. Life is a bitch. Oh yea, did I say to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES SO YOU DONT HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT AGAIN
Casual Reader

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

She complains of mold. Maybe that is the reason why the A.C. is always on. To prevent the spread of mold.
equalityboy81

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Casual Reader wrote:
She complains of mold. Maybe that is the reason why the A.C. is always on. To prevent the spread of mold.
I believe moisture from the AC can cause mold too and mildew (like in cold and damp environment). When it's cold outside and the AC is on it might cause some moisture. Don't know all the science behind it, just guessing.
Clyde

Ottawa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

I like it when the female guards watch us shower. Some guys complain about it, but I think it's sexy.
equalityboy81

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Clyde wrote:
I like it when the female guards watch us shower. Some guys complain about it, but I think it's sexy.
lol.
Htos1

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

Keep in mind that the Yulee hilton is now a "for profit" detention center.It's a farmed out business,and what is a business' bottom line?The bottom line.Without "clients",there's no business,so the county will "suggest" aggressive law enforcement techniques.Only the guards are a traditional state entity,and that could change if states can no longer afford basic services and will contarct to foreign entities for this service.But the 'hhod keeps getting more and more and more funding,welfare,and food stamps.Go figure.
Dha

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2009

Along with armed robbery, she is also charged with false imprisonment/kidnapping and theft.

Get over it, stay out of jail, you will not have to worry about how bad it is.
Sam

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

Clyde wrote:
Me 2
Hew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

Judged:

. I'm getting my second cold in here and I will refuse the meds because I'm not paying $60 for meds when it's not my fault for being sick.
WHo's faultis it your in JAIL!!!!!!!
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Judged:

Jail life must really suck. People who are in there have made their mistakes, but it doesn't mean that they're inherently evil. Jail is supposed to be a place for rehabilitation, right? If all they're doing is treating people like animals, then they are not serving their purpose. There needs to be some life skills classes that teach them how to become a positive member of society. Just given eternal time to think about their choices can do more harm than good.
Stone

Yulee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

I was a victim of home invasion, received severe beatings by the home invaders and then THEY called police saying "I hit my own girlfriend with a ball bat and pulled a knife on them" when in fact it was them who had the bat and the knife and when the police arrived THEY ARRESTED ME despite having TWO witnesses (on my behalf) that supported my report to the police that i was a victim. I was held in jail for 2 felony charges (and the police gave the home invaders a ride home!!!) I was held in jail for almost 4 weeks then after the prosecutor seeing that i had evidence in my favor showing that it was ME who was the actual victim, the charges were dropped. During this time i was not allowed to have ANY x-rays (i may have had broken ribs and a broken wrist) What the heck can i do about all of this? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Stone wrote:
I was a victim of home invasion, received severe beatings by the home invaders and then THEY called police saying "I hit my own girlfriend with a ball bat and pulled a knife on them" when in fact it was them who had the bat and the knife and when the police arrived THEY ARRESTED ME despite having TWO witnesses (on my behalf) that supported my report to the police that i was a victim. I was held in jail for 2 felony charges (and the police gave the home invaders a ride home!!!) I was held in jail for almost 4 weeks then after the prosecutor seeing that i had evidence in my favor showing that it was ME who was the actual victim, the charges were dropped. During this time i was not allowed to have ANY x-rays (i may have had broken ribs and a broken wrist) What the heck can i do about all of this? Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I would get an attorney man. This sounds like BIG NEWS. You should contact the news about this. What town or city and county and state did this happen in? I feel bad for you man. You need to get this documented medically too. I'm not an attorney man but it sounds like you could sue them for this.

www.jaxlegalaid.com

www.flexyourrights.org (Flex Your Rights also has a YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook page based on their site). I would highly recommend looking at them all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Stone wrote:
My mother said if there was any doubt they should have arrested everyone. And they certainly should have given all of you medical attention. That is just inhumane not to. I would sue if this crap happened to me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

It's .ORG, not .COM.

Here is the correct link:

http://www.jaxlegalaid.org/
NICE

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Judged:

NICE
INMATES have access to internet?! wtf
Stone

Yulee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

I am currently shopping for a BIG TIME lawsuit attorney, but if ANYONE reading this is an attorney OR knows a good one, leave a post here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Stone wrote:
I am currently shopping for a BIG TIME lawsuit attorney, but if ANYONE reading this is an attorney OR knows a good one, leave a post here.
I don't know if I overlooked anything in your story but what happened to your girlfriend? Is she unconscious or in a coma? Did she lie on you for them? Did the police not believe her if she stood up for you or thought it was a cover up for abuse? Why didn't she back up your story that both you and she were attacked? I believe your story (stranger things have happened in this country and people have been falsely accused of murder and wrongly executed) but there's just one thing I'd like to know. Whatever became of your girlfriend and how did she fit into all this? Is she suing as well? Did this happen here in Yulee or Nassau County?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Fernandina Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fernandina Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fernandina Beach News, Events & Info