Fayette County Schools
concerned parent

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Mar 16, 2012
This is for anyone who has a special needs child in fayette county schools. Make sure you know what your rights are and what your childs rights are.

Everyday all across this country special needs children are denied their rights because parents don't know the laws and their rights. Fayette County is no different and is one of the worst in the state to try and keep parents in the dark.

If you have a special needs child please contact an advocate and get them to help you and your child get the legal rights they deserve. They are very helpful and it is a free service.

Board of educations all across the country hate it when advocates get involved. It means they are exposed to all the law breaking they do and the descrimination that takes place toward special needs children. All because they can save a dollar.

Most parents dont even know they can contest their IEPs by going to mediation and bringing in outside neutral representatives or even going further to filing for due process.

Many people blame the teachers for these problems but the truth is the blame goes on the board of education and with the special ed department.

When the special ed department is out of line and not giving your child what they are entitled to by law don't sit back and take it. Get an advocate and fight back for your child.

To many of our special needs children can thrive in live if they are given their rights and not locked away out of sight and mind. The board members only care about the money side and not your child. They think the cheapest and bare minimum is all kids need.

IF your child is not getting what they deserve then fight back and do not let them try to bully you. get an advocate, have a meeting, go to mediation and if all else fails dont be afraid to file for due process and take them to court.

It is past time special needs children get the services they deserve and are entitled to by law. It is time for the board of education members to stop with all the hate and discrimination against special needs children.

Fight for your childs right to a free and appropriate education based to their personal needs. Dont let your child have their free and appropriate education be denied to them so the Board of education can save a dollar. Especially when the Board recieves thousands and thousands of dollars in federal aide each year just for special ed services.
Tina Dorman

Summersville, WV

#2 Mar 16, 2012
I am very sorry if your child is not receiving the proper education through their special education program at their school. My daughter attends New River Elementary School and is in the special education class. They do a wonderful job with her. She did not qualify for sp. ed . when they did her testing, but they did everything they could to get her into the class, we used her medical condition ( type 1 diabetes) to get her in because we knew she would well benefit from the smaller class sizes and more one on one work. They volunteered services for her that I did not even know were available. They seem to care greatly about how she does and her learning. I just wish all special needs children could have the same wonderful experience she does with her education. They really seem to care about their students, or atleast that has been my experience.
Beenthere Donethat


#3 Mar 23, 2012
I agree it makes a difference if an advocate is involved. The advocate will relieve the parent of the stress and fight for the rights of the student. There are several great advocacy organizations within the immediate area. It is beneficial to have your child represented by one because typically the advocate is very knowlegable in the law and the many aspects of SB Policy 2419. Policy 2419 is the state board policy which governs regulations for special needs students.

I would suspect that since Fayette County Schools are under a state takeover, the Board of Education members have very little to say about what goes on. The superintendent is one that has been appointed by the WV State Deparetment of Education and pretty much can do whatever he sees the need to do.

If you have a complaint you can always contact the West Virginia Department of Education, Office of Special Education. They have a formal complaint process and will investigate your issue if it is written in a letter and signed. If a violation has occurred they will insist the school system correct the deficiency.

Unfortunately, school systems are no different than individuals. They have a specific amount of money they are allocated per year, and must budget it accordingly. I would suspect that there are many many services and supplies that must be purchased in order to meet the basic needs of students. Once the money is gone it's gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fayetteville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 23 min The Last Warrior ... 1,525
Coal Mines Will Come Back To WV. 1 hr Roots 28
Oh boy! 5 hr Peter Sidewinder 1
permited 5 hr Susan Cannibas 10
in love with CHRISTINA MARIE INGRAM JARRELL 12 hr Lol 17
Game - Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Aug '11) 14 hr Jon_B 4,824
Fayetteville High Softball Fri not winning 17

Fayetteville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fayetteville Mortgages