Does vast majority support gun ban or...

Does vast majority support gun ban or not????

Posted in the Fayetteville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Say What

York, PA

#1 Jan 18, 2013
Hmmmm, the President on Wednesday said several times that the "Vast majority of ammericans" supported a gun ban, but now it seems that polls are showing the "vast majority of americans" support the NRA!!!

Also, more and more Dems seem to be steering away from their party including Landriea-LA, Begich-AK, Manchin-WV, Baucus-MT and Franken-MI!!!!

Even Harry Reif, I mean Reid of NV merely stated he would "only" consider it.
Winston Smith

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Jan 18, 2013
Say What wrote:
Hmmmm, the President on Wednesday said several times that the "Vast majority of ammericans" supported a gun ban, but now it seems that polls are showing the "vast majority of americans" support the NRA!!!
Also, more and more Dems seem to be steering away from their party including Landriea-LA, Begich-AK, Manchin-WV, Baucus-MT and Franken-MI!!!!
Even Harry Reif, I mean Reid of NV merely stated he would "only" consider it.
Interesting. Big sis, Janet Napolitano said she supported guns....mind you, that was when she was running for governor(these people have no true beliefs). Even Biden made a pro gun comment when running in 2008.

Americans support legal gun ownership, always have....always will.
Marisa Winston Peanut huh

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Jan 18, 2013
Fully 85% of Americans favor making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, with comparable support from Republicans, Democrats and independents. Similarly, 80% support laws to prevent mentally ill people from purchasing guns, with broad support across party lines.Two-thirds of Americans (67%) favor creating a federal database to track gun sales. A smaller majority of the public (55%) favors a ban on assault-style weapons. 54% support a ban on high capacity magazines. 53% favor a ban on online ammunition sales.

http://www.people-press.org/2013/01/14/in-gun...

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Jan 19, 2013
Say What wrote:
Hmmmm, the President on Wednesday said several times that the "Vast majority of ammericans" supported a gun ban, but now it seems that polls are showing the "vast majority of americans" support the NRA!!!
Also, more and more Dems seem to be steering away from their party including Landriea-LA, Begich-AK, Manchin-WV, Baucus-MT and Franken-MI!!!!
Even Harry Reif, I mean Reid of NV merely stated he would "only" consider it.
I've seen the polls supporting what the President said.

What polls support what you're saying? I saw one poll that gives the NRA a 54% approval rating. But nobody calls 54% a "vast majority."
Jimmy

Charlotte, NC

#5 Jan 19, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the polls supporting what the President said.
What polls support what you're saying? I saw one poll that gives the NRA a 54% approval rating. But nobody calls 54% a "vast majority."
Obama sits at 53%. He's less popular than the NRA.
Winston Smith

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Jan 19, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the polls supporting what the President said.
What polls support what you're saying? I saw one poll that gives the NRA a 54% approval rating. But nobody calls 54% a "vast majority."
Gallup polling shows 54% of Americans have a favorable opinion of the NRA

CNN Poll: support for new gun laws slips, more Americans agree with NRA's proposals than do not

CBS News ignores own polling showing 74% support armed guards in schools

New Gallup poll show NRA more popular than Obama
NRA-54%
Obama-53%

These are recent polls

There is more support for the NRA, etc. I think you get the point

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jan 19, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama sits at 53%. He's less popular than the NRA.
Okay. So?

The question I actually asked was, where's the "vast majority" that oppose gun control? Personal popularity is irrelevant to that discussion - we're talking about POLICIES people support.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Jan 19, 2013
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Gallup polling shows 54% of Americans have a favorable opinion of the NRA
CNN Poll: support for new gun laws slips, more Americans agree with NRA's proposals than do not
CBS News ignores own polling showing 74% support armed guards in schools
New Gallup poll show NRA more popular than Obama
NRA-54%
Obama-53%
These are recent polls
There is more support for the NRA, etc. I think you get the point
Again, personal popularity isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about support for POLICIES.

The President's proposal included funding for armed guards in schools - so thanks for pointing out that he has 74% support on that issue.

The President's proposal included making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks - 85% of Americans support that.

The President's proposal included a ban on assault-style weapons - 55% of Americans support that.

The President's proposal included a ban on high capacity magazines - 53% of Americans support that.

The President's proposal included to prevent mentally ill people from purchasing guns - 80% of Americans support that.

Where's the "vast majority" that oppose what the President is proposing?
Jimmy

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jan 19, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. So?
The question I actually asked was, where's the "vast majority" that oppose gun control? Personal popularity is irrelevant to that discussion - we're talking about POLICIES people support.
Those are the numbers for the policies.

The support for pro gun policies is not that at all. It is more of a ground swell against sweeping gun control policies.

Granted, I'm happy about the background check changes, and I think there are more things that need to be done. However, he is overstepping his bounds and people are realizing it.
Winston Smith

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jan 19, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. So?
The question I actually asked was, where's the "vast majority" that oppose gun control? Personal popularity is irrelevant to that discussion - we're talking about POLICIES people support.
I see you are losing the debate.. You come up with irrelevent questions, silly questions, or you try to change the subject.

Let me help you out since you seem to be having difficulty understanding
Majority- over 50%
Vast- by vast one means large, and since large is a term which is neccessarily relative, saying "vast majority" could simply mean that the majority is larger then the minority.

So if you want to continue to ramble about pointless details...have fun. I'm out of here, it's Saturday and I have no desire to waste it talking to you and your alter ego, bobby, the racist.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Jan 19, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are the numbers for the policies.
The support for pro gun policies is not that at all. It is more of a ground swell against sweeping gun control policies.
Granted, I'm happy about the background check changes, and I think there are more things that need to be done. However, he is overstepping his bounds and people are realizing it.
You said "Obama sits at 53%. He's less popular than the NRA." That sure sounds like an approval rating of the President and not a polling result for his proposal safety proposal.

If it is the approval number for his proposal, then it shows a majority of Americans support it.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Jan 19, 2013
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text> I see you are losing the debate.. You come up with irrelevent questions, silly questions, or you try to change the subject.
Let me help you out since you seem to be having difficulty understanding
Majority- over 50%
Vast- by vast one means large, and since large is a term which is neccessarily relative, saying "vast majority" could simply mean that the majority is larger then the minority.
LMAO! You can't be serious.

If this is honestly what and how you think, you are truly hopeless.
Jimmy

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jan 19, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
You said "Obama sits at 53%. He's less popular than the NRA." That sure sounds like an approval rating of the President and not a polling result for his proposal safety proposal.
If it is the approval number for his proposal, then it shows a majority of Americans support it.
He is at 53% approval rating. It's a coincidence. If you believe that that is a rubber stamp of approval for the majority of Americans, then you would be even happier if the NRA was running the country. They are at 54%. Would you advocate for them to be in charge of gun control?

People are happier with NRA than they are with our President per your logic. Can't possibly be true. I'm a member and I'm not happy with them.

I'm not sure that a 53% approval of anything with regard to your abilities or your proposals could be considered a success.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#14 Jan 19, 2013
There are a lot of different polls out there reporting different numbers, but this is the most up-to-date info I could find:

53%[of respondents to a poll conducted one day after Obama's proposed gun control plan] said they wanted their representatives in Congress to vote for the set of proposals, compared with the 41% who preferred otherwise, according to the survey, conducted on Thursday.

74% of Americans favor a ban on assault weapons, with 26% opposed. A ban on high-capacity ammunition clips was backed by 74%, and 26% were opposed.

Background checks for gun purchases is supported by 92% of Americans, including 74% of gun owners.

69% support a requirement for all gun owners to register their firearms with the local government.

Most of the above numbers have gone down since polling was done in December, immediately following the Sandy Hook shooting, but still show much larger support for new gun control legislation than before.

Also before the Newtown shooting, 48% of Americans had a positive view of the NRA. Today it is 36%, although some sources report that number is closer to 40%. In either case, it's a drop.

As always though, Americans are confused about what they support:

61% of respondents say that new gun control laws will not reduce violence in the United States, while only 39% say that new measures will curb gun violence.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 19, 2013
Sorry, sources:
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/756820.shtm...
http://americablog.com/2013/01/poll-huge-supp...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/gun-...
http://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn-poll-suppo...
http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-approval-r...

Fox News' Gallup number about the NRA are different from several other sources I checked, and show NRA is viewed favorably by a majority of Americans. I'm wary of Gallup numbers, particularly after the last election. My guess is the actual number is probably somewhere in between Gallup and other sources.

Public Policy Polls put NRA favorability at 36%, while Gallup puts it at 54%. I guess people can just go with whatever number they want to be right.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/18/ma...

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Jan 21, 2013
Gun advocates organized a Gun Appreciation Day on Saturday.

Only 5 people got shot.

----------

5 injured after firearms go off at Ohio, N.C., Indiana gun shows

At least five people -- three in North Carolina, one in Indiana and one in Ohio -- were injured after weapons went off at gun shows Saturday, officials said, at a time when there's been renewed discussion about private gun sales at such shows.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/19/us/north-caroli...

----------

More guns = more shootings. Period.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#20 Jan 26, 2013
Marisa Winston Peanut huh wrote:
<quoted text>
......and now a hillbilly idiot chimes in......
lol, couldn't have said it better.
Bobby 6969

Clearfield, PA

#21 Jan 26, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, personal popularity isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about support for POLICIES.
The President's proposal included funding for armed guards in schools - so thanks for pointing out that he has 74% support on that issue.
The President's proposal included making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks - 85% of Americans support that.
The President's proposal included a ban on assault-style weapons - 55% of Americans support that.
The President's proposal included a ban on high capacity magazines - 53% of Americans support that.
The President's proposal included to prevent mentally ill people from purchasing guns - 80% of Americans support that.
Where's the "vast majority" that oppose what the President is proposing?
I've seen the polls supporting what the President said.

What polls support what you're saying?

Your statement "The President's proposal included funding for armed guards in schools - so thanks for pointing out that he has 74% support on that issue." Actually this was the NRA's suggestion, long before Obama stole it.Give credit where credit is due. Of course you and the other libroids and the suck up lying liberal media condemned the NRA's suggestion including yourself.

Do you ever post sources to back up your so called facts? You've been caught many times changing the facts from other sources and taking credit for others work.
Winston Smith

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Jan 27, 2013
Bobby 6969 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the polls supporting what the President said.
What polls support what you're saying?
Your statement "The President's proposal included funding for armed guards in schools - so thanks for pointing out that he has 74% support on that issue." Actually this was the NRA's suggestion, long before Obama stole it.Give credit where credit is due. Of course you and the other libroids and the suck up lying liberal media condemned the NRA's suggestion including yourself.
Do you ever post sources to back up your so called facts? You've been caught many times changing the facts from other sources and taking credit for others work.
Uh Oh! There's that word again.....plagiarizer. I bet DTM was hoping people would forget that he has been caught stealing others work. I guess it will continue to haunt him and follow him around on topix. Dan the Plagiarizer.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#23 Jan 27, 2013
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>Uh Oh! There's that word again.....plagiarizer. I bet DTM was hoping people would forget that he has been caught stealing others work. I guess it will continue to haunt him and follow him around on topix. Dan the Plagiarizer.
Classic DTMDS.

I enjoy my weekend with family and friends while this loser spends the whole weekend on Topix seeing me behind every tree.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic and pathological.

No - strike that - it IS hilarious BECAUSE it's so pathetic and pathological! LMAO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fayetteville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Disgruntled man can't pay parking fine with rol... Sat Mega Monster 9
Americans Brought America Down To Its State Of ... Aug 24 pushedtofar 1
News Borough That Refused Penny Payment to Install N... Aug 16 TALLYHO 8541 1
News Supreme Court refuses to hear CASD appeal Aug 15 Backward Hicks 3
backyard poultry in a medium density residentia... Aug 15 Backward Hicks 3
News Sex abuse case against former Gettysburg teache... (Oct '14) Aug 10 Steve Gratman 6
News Former Gettysburg area school teacher accused o... (Apr '14) Aug 10 Steve Gratman 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fayetteville Mortgages