suspects "shoots" himself, while handcuffed

Posted in the Fayetteville Forum

First Prev
of 44
Next Last
Not Adding up

United States

#1 Jul 30, 2012
JPD has alot of explaining to do!! What's your thoughts?*all negative comments keep to yourself*......... Two Jonesboro police officers are on administrative leave after a suspect reportedly shot himself while handcuffed in a patrol car. Chavis Chacobie Carter, 21, of Southaven, Mississippi, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to police records. According to the police report, Carter was a passenger in a pickup truck that was stopped just before 10 o’clock Saturday night on Haltom Street. Officer Keith Baggett said while he searched the vehicle, Officer Ron Marsh questioned and searched Carter. He reportedly found “some marijuana” and several new plastic baggies on Carter. According to the report, Officer Marsh ran Carter’s information through dispatch and learned that he was wanted on a warrant out of DeSoto County, Mississippi. After confirming the warrant, Baggett said Marsh had Carter “exit the patrol unit, placed him into handcuffs, searched him a second time then placed him into the back seat of the patrol unit.” While he and Officer Marsh walked back to his patrol unit, Officer Baggett said a car passed and then he heard “a loud thump with a metallic sound.” At the time he believed the vehicle had run over a piece of metal on the road. After questioning and releasing the other two men, Officer Marsh reportedly returned to his unit while Officer Baggett said he prepared to leave the scene. He then heard “several thumps” on his trunk and saw Officer Marsh motioning for him. Officer Marsh reportedly said Carter had shot himself. The two officers opened the rear passenger side door and found Carter in a “sitting position slumped forward with his head in his lap.” Officer Marsh said there was a large amount of blood on Carter’s shirt, pants, seat and floor. He also said Carter’s hands were still cuffed behind his back. A small caliber handgun was reportedly found beside him. Seeing that Carter was still breathing, Officer Marsh radioed for an ambulance and a supervisor. Carter was taken to St. Bernards Regional Medical Center where he later died of his injury. Officers Baggett and Marsh are on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
Not Adding up

United States

#2 Jul 30, 2012
Suspect i meant (in the title)..
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#3 Jul 30, 2012
How do you shoot yourself if your hands are cuffed behind your back. I don't understand that part.?!
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#5 Jul 30, 2012
Topic is made to gossip and that's what we do on herd. Discussion of matters people find interesting. So if you don't like it get the f off here. Thanks.

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Jul 30, 2012
Was the gunshot in the back of his head? I could maybe see how that could happen. If he had a gun in the back of his pants that was missed or something. If it's in the front I don't get that.
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Jul 30, 2012
I don't know how you could raise your hand up to shoot yourself in the back of the head either tho. You would have to be really flexible.
Bren

Charleston, MS

#8 Jul 30, 2012
This is really sad, someone has to have answer, because they would not let the mother Id the body nor show a picture of her child. They told her that the body were sent to the Autopsy lab. There is no way in hell you can shoot yourself in the head, being left handed and in hand cuffs behind your back and shot in the right temple. This is all coming from the police officers themselves. Now they want release his body to the funeral home. My family is really suffering through this situation.
Bren

Charleston, MS

#9 Jul 30, 2012
Guest wrote:
Was the gunshot in the back of his head? I could maybe see how that could happen. If he had a gun in the back of his pants that was missed or something. If it's in the front I don't get that.
They told my family that her were shot in the right temple and the bullet exit out of the left temple, but he is left handed and also he had been searched down twice and it stated in the news article. His mother still does not no if thats her son or not they would not let her view his body and still will not let her see him.
JUSTICE

Charleston, MS

#10 Jul 30, 2012
Guest wrote:
He was alive and well when he got in that car and had been searched down twice... Read the article and watch the news coverage.
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Jul 30, 2012
Sorry been. I've been in the back of a cop car and know its really hard to move your hands and I also know they keep you on camera from the time you get in the back plus it has audio too.
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Jul 30, 2012
Bren I meant.
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Jul 30, 2012
JUSTICE wrote:
<quoted text>
He was alive and well when he got in that car and had been searched down twice... Read the article and watch the news coverage.
can you post the link.
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Jul 30, 2012
I found the link

El Monte, CA

#15 Jul 30, 2012
Sounds fishy to me.
matt

United States

#16 Jul 30, 2012
omg wrote:
Sorry been. I've been in the back of a cop car and know its really hard to move your hands and I also know they keep you on camera from the time you get in the back plus it has audio too.
lmao!!!
matt

United States

#17 Jul 30, 2012
If they searched the guy a second time how's they miss the gun????

Jonesboro, AR

#18 Jul 30, 2012
guest wrote:
Sounds fishy to me.
me too, what was he doing on Haltom st. Late at night?
omg

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Jul 30, 2012
matt wrote:
<quoted text>
lmao!!!
what's funny.
wow

Jonesboro, AR

#20 Jul 30, 2012
they should have found the gun, a small person could shoot himself in the head with his hand behind his back but a fat person is not that flexable.
and there is no way the police shot that man in the back of the car while handcuffed.
LilD

Paragould, AR

#21 Jul 30, 2012
none of it makes any sense to me! He was a good guy there is no way possible he would of done that to himself not over the warrants they told him he had?! now come on. and for another If they do have cameras and voice audio in police cars i hope they do find out what really happened to him get justice served if thats the case and let him Rest In Peace!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 44
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fayetteville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Churches 11 min Heyu 1
Sarah Palin - 2016 21 min Barton Farley 9
breast augmentation 34 min guest 2
Jerry Jones gives HOGS gift of $10.65m 46 min Guest 42
nicepak moving to mexico 1 hr jamest 1
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr Could be 30,493
Davos Elite Openly Push NWO And "One World" Age... 1 hr PayAttention 2
Fayetteville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fayetteville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:01PM
Should Jerry Now Be Considered a Top-Quality GM?
NFL 6:28 AM
Witten: It's 'silly' to think Murray is easily replaceable
NBC Sports 7:10 AM
Jason Witten: Every back couldn't do what DeMarco Murray did this season
Bleacher Report 9:39 AM
Murray Will Command Up to $10M Per Year
NBC Sports 9:48 AM
Tony Romo: I have to be better