Yes

No

Other (explain below)

justified

Hopewell, VA

#41 Oct 11, 2010
greg in central va wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct in all the things you listed. People with jobs and are healthy can't imagine or relate to a person that makes in a month what they make in a week. Stretching this money becomes a challenge especially if medical bills and medicines are involved. I firmly believe in helping the elderly and totally disabled. The threshold should be high in order to qualify with current medical evidence of one's disability and income limitations attached.
Put their azzes in some of that public housing and let someone that can foot the bill purchase their home. I'll be damned if I want to pay the property tax on something that I do not own or something that is going to be owned by the state after their demise that I paid for. Better yet, empty a prison or two, let them pay a dollar a day and put the inmates in a tent and teach them to do healthcare. There's enough doctors in prison to help them.

“Internet Famous”

Since: Jun 09

Chicago, IL

#42 Oct 11, 2010
what is wrong wrote:
<quoted text>What entity outside of the Veterans Affairs has a dicument that says,"Hardships"? if an entity doesn't have the document, then noone is overseeing it. Duh!
The republicans are cutting spending, ready to reduce the hours of a work week. So how do you compute adding another unpublished as of yet document? And then you say,"it's not about anything other than giving them a tax exemption".....When you're balancing your check book, is it ever about just deducting or is that deduction coming from somewhere and equally going somewhere else? How do you propose to not collect a revenue and equally pay a person for overseeing it? This is nothing but a bunch of rich conservatives, reaching retirement age and trying to implement policy before they go out to pasture and leave the rest of you with another bill. Get real! And I qualified for social security 132 days ago and I'm holding out for the max.
You misunderstood me. I'm saying that one of the current entities could handle this. Use existing resources to take on the responsibilities.

“Internet Famous”

Chicago, IL

#43 Oct 11, 2010
Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no; when someone is pompous to think their opinion is fact, and states it pretentiously in opposition to someone's position, without an arguement, they are a troll.
Your problem is that you wouldn't know a fact if it kicked you in the balls. Recession is not open to interpretation. It is a measure of growth, which is measurable and verifiable.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#44 Oct 11, 2010
Lee County Thinker wrote:
<quoted text> You misunderstood me. I'm saying that one of the current entities could handle this. Use existing resources to take on the responsibilities.
They barely process the paper that they have now. The city treasurer's office is going to be the first in contact with this pile. And what do you propose that they stop doing, since they've recently started their little satellite DMV crap? Roughly 25% of the population is old, 58 million already drawing social security and who is going to compute the formula that replaces these losses without the rest of us being able to see it? I would really like to see a city's budget without 25% for the elderly and then with the disabled added and then the 100% disabled Veterans. 76,000 teachers lost their jobs, last month; so a few republican governors could make a good show for the upcoming elections. What in the hell does a teacher do? I would like to see the state operate with 75% of the standing budget. ucc
hurley

Grundy, VA

#45 Oct 11, 2010
the disable and old people should not have to pay taxs. and no dr. bills
huh

Hopewell, VA

#47 Oct 11, 2010
hurley wrote:
the disable and old people should not have to pay taxs. and no dr. bills
Did something or someone just knock you in the head on the way to topix? We need to ask the Tea Party about this

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#48 Oct 11, 2010
<quoted text>
Your problem is that you wouldn't know a fact if it kicked you in the balls. Recession is not open to interpretation. It is a measure of growth, which is measurable and verifiable.
Yeah, and your cliiiiit must be the size of a hotdog.
Gosh, I wish people could act civilly in these discussions.
Nobody is my name

Bristol, VA

#49 Oct 11, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text> Did something or someone just knock you in the head on the way to topix? We need to ask the Tea Party about this
Hopewell. I visit it many times a long time ago. Great place.

“Internet Famous”

Chicago, IL

#50 Oct 11, 2010
Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and your cliiiiit must be the size of a hotdog.
Gosh, I wish people could act civilly in these discussions.
You have no concept of civility.
Diehard Democrat

Salem, VA

#51 Oct 11, 2010
SirRantsAlot wrote:
I think by the time someone retires to a fixed income their days of paying taxes should be over. Permanently. No local, state, or federal taxes. No sales taxes, or taxes disguised as "fees", such as DMV vehicle registration. No income taxes - I think most people would be surprised to learn that retirees have to pay "income" taxes on the social security they receive.
Retirees have spent their lifetime paying into the system. They've contributed - and now they're done. Let them enjoy their golden years. They've earned it!
I work a full time job, am a contributing member of society, and my income is fixed too. I make a certain wage every week, and that's all. Does that mean that my taxes should be cut? or stopped?

“I Believe In Conservatives!”

Since: Oct 10

God Bless America!

#52 Oct 12, 2010
Taxes need to be stopped.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#53 Oct 12, 2010
No. This is but another piece of legislation designed to promote class warfare. Do the math. If you allow one group to stop paying taxes, the rest will have to pick up the slack, else government services will have to be cut. State and local governments can't print more money like the feds have been doing when they come up short, so something will have to give. Either taxes go way up, or services get cut way back. This is designed to do nothing more than provide smoke and mirrors, rather than address the real issue: State and local governments have allowed our tax structure to fall way out of whack, making us too dependent on property taxes. It would be better if they were forced to find other sources of revenue or cut the fat, pork and boondoggles and ease up on all of us, rather than be permitted to divide us.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#54 Oct 12, 2010
I see this as a loop hole for every sponge out there to be tax exempt. We have enough living on the governments dime and we want to include more? Please....
Clueless

Vienna, VA

#55 Oct 12, 2010
<quoted text>
The problem with a lot of things that are measurable and verifiable is that they're based on statistics, interpretation and political spin. If I have one foot in a bucket of hot water and the other foot in a bucket of ice water, on average I'm comfortable. Recession without inflation benefits a lot of people who have job security because they pay less for the same goods and services. But if your income is based on a segment of the economy that is suffering, and you are unemployed or underemployed, then you are DEFINITELY feeling the recession, regardless of what the government statisticians and spinmeisters are telling us. In my opinion, Americans, on average, have a very short attention span. On good day in the stock market and the reports say that we've "turned the corner". I'm not feelin' it.
beckgetsit

Richmond, VA

#56 Oct 12, 2010
justified wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like an increase to pay for the committee to oversee a lot of paperwork. Must be a conservative.
Nope...we already have all the staffing we need to determine hardship...remember the dems are in control now..so there is an abundance of overstaffing already...once again you are speaking with your head in the sand.
yea right

Gloucester, VA

#57 Oct 12, 2010
Bringing up a old subject, It would be better to exempt the disable than how Colonial Beach exempts the Boaters.
look it up

Lebanon, VA

#58 Oct 12, 2010
there has been an exemption for the elderly and disabled for years and years in most counties of VA. they must pass an income and resource test. Check with Commissioner Randy Williams. Pays real estate taxes not personal property, such as cars.
aqua

Charlottesville, VA

#59 Oct 12, 2010
old and tard wrote:
There is already something that lowers or cancels real estate tax for lower income seniors. I know because I am a low income senior. I barely passed the income level and it is very hard for my husband to pay our real estate taxes, personal property taxes, and buy heating oil in the fall. also,because of the very hot summer, our electric bill has been outrageous. Due to my illness, heat makes me much sicker and using window air conditioners use a lot of electricity. I always wondered why they didn't allow the public to buy the heat pumps and air conditioners that were taken out when the town was torn down. That would have been a blessing to those that couldn't afford to have new ones installed. Does anyone know what happened to them. I tried to inquire about purchasing one but couldn't find out who to see.
I agree. I see things in the newspaper once in a while that talk about filing for tax relief of somesort. Also, if someone is "poor" enough for tax relief then they should qualify for heating assistance with social services.

“Mother Blues”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#60 Oct 12, 2010
yea right wrote:
Bringing up a old subject, It would be better to exempt the disable than how Colonial Beach exempts the Boaters.
The "boat people" on here ARE disabled :)
Jimbo

Portsmouth, VA

#61 Oct 12, 2010
look it up wrote:
there has been an exemption for the elderly and disabled for years and years in most counties of VA. they must pass an income and resource test. Check with Commissioner Randy Williams. Pays real estate taxes not personal property, such as cars.
Thatís what I thought. I have to plead stupid on this. What does this change? Donít the localities already have the power to do this (since they are)? Is this just a political trick to make them look like they care?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
latasha scott Oct '14 camwoods 1
Pat Robertson Calls for a "Revolution" - cuz - ... Aug '14 Big Mess 1
Farmville Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
My New Water Meter Jul '14 incometer 1
Threesome (Mar '14) Jun '14 who cares 2
8News Investigates: 'Road To Nowhere' (Jul '13) May '14 Clark 3
Does anyone know this guy???? (Feb '14) Feb '14 old friend 1
Farmville Dating
Find my Match

Farmville People Search