Stricter Changes at Maury Correctional
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Speakinup

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#61 Nov 2, 2012
My uncle is there. At Maury. And most likely will be for whatever remains of his life. I understand that he was convicted of a crime, and it was a terrible crime. However I do know of people that have done MORE and gotten way less time. Anyway, I feel that my uncle being 65 years old and has been incarcerated for most of my life, (Im 27 now) is being mistreated. He has been charged with infractions that I know he is not guilty of. He has been sick and not recieved treatment. He has been beaten. He has lost all privaleges due to the ignorance of officers who just refuse to realize there are always three sides to everything. His side their side and the truth. It seems as though this place contains and employess some heartless individuals to work there and the ones that are good get run off because of this place getting such a bad name. It's sad. Just because someone commits a crime, does not make them an animal.
Scum OF The Earth

Princeton, WV

#62 Jan 5, 2013
Speakinup wrote:
My uncle is there. At Maury. And most likely will be for whatever remains of his life. I understand that he was convicted of a crime, and it was a terrible crime. However I do know of people that have done MORE and gotten way less time. Anyway, I feel that my uncle being 65 years old and has been incarcerated for most of my life,(Im 27 now) is being mistreated. He has been charged with infractions that I know he is not guilty of. He has been sick and not recieved treatment. He has been beaten. He has lost all privaleges due to the ignorance of officers who just refuse to realize there are always three sides to everything. His side their side and the truth. It seems as though this place contains and employess some heartless individuals to work there and the ones that are good get run off because of this place getting such a bad name. It's sad. Just because someone commits a crime, does not make them an animal.
I have an uncle that was transferred to Maury in Dec., he is incarcerated for Killing My Dad. I HOPE he is getting this type of treatment, sorry I think he deserves it. They are not there to be on vacation at the Hilton, they are being punished...I'd say PUNISH them!
Phate3135

Sanford, NC

#63 Jan 6, 2013
Yeah that will surely help the situation!
wifegb wrote:
There is some shit with maury.If my husband go off one good time and bang them co's up then they will get right
EP RN

Durham, NC

#64 Mar 1, 2013
He wouldn't have stayed in the hospital for a month even if they changed out the battery. If he was in the hospital HE COULD make sure he talked to your mom. It's not a pacer/defib issue. I know it's easier to blame the medical device. I see prisoners all the time with the devices and they do great. The other prisoners can't do anything to the defib to hurt him. No matter what they do, they can't effect how the defib works. Look for another reason. Take care.
dwhite wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother is there now, and mom hasn't had a phone call from him in about a month, which is unusual. She wonders if he is in the hospital, as he has had a defib put in---they do NOT make families aware when their incarcerated member is taken to or put into the hospital. I was just getting ready to call and check up on him to make sure he is still in and ok...
email [email protected] net
NC-CURE

Fort Mill, SC

#65 Mar 2, 2013
Dear Speakinup, If more family members just like your handle states, would SPEAK UP we could bring change to the way NC DPS operates. Power really does come in numbers. You so eloquently made your case on how prisoners are being treated on the other side of the serpentine wire you must have read our nine hundred letters received from family and prisoners alike regarding medical abuse, denial of medications prescribed by outside doctors, diagnostics and surgeries denied and thousands of requests to see a physician denied while prisoners are forced to see unqualified nursing staff to evaluate and decide their medical needs. In reality we know the situation is much more dire then the public is aware. While we understand that prison serves its purpose to confine those who have committed hideous crimes against society. We must also recognize that if we as human beings codon such egregious abuse we are no better then the offender himself. Let me remind you all that statistically less then 20% of prisoners are incarcerated for rape and murder. The remainder have never committed a violent crime yet their lives are full of violence daily and many will return to society full of resentment, hate and anger due to what they see and the way they are treated needless to say devoid of any rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is non existent in NC and the results are too the cost of the tax payers, most do not realize this, but you all pay the DOC Administrators 120,000-250,000 and they all retire with fat pensions and benefits. We see hundreds of unfit prion officers who seem to enjoy power over humans and take advantage of their authority with no accountability to anyone, after all the people being abused are just prisoners right? However we also work with some dedicated wonderful prison staff who hate the system and want it changed. they are paid barely enough to get by in this day and work long hard hours. We have been working with the US Department of Justice regarding these issues, anyone interested in communicating their issues directly to our contacts with the DOJ please write us at [email protected] together we can bring reform.
Sweet Pea

Apex, NC

#66 Mar 12, 2013
It is really sad how this prison is. We go visit my boyfriend and they treat us like animals as well. We can't have candy, the kids are supposed to sit for two hours with nothing to do. When entering the facility the guards running their mouths versus getting us out the rain. They have a restroom in visitation area but we have to go in and out the gate to the hallway bathroom. The taxpayers are payers are paying for abuse to be covered up. I feel they should supply them with reading material and other activities to keep their minds occupied. Everyone in life has done something wrong. Some were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It doesn't mean just treat people like animals. I'm so glad my honey just transferred to medium custody so maybe he can be treated like a normal human being vs a dog. Good luck to all the people still visiting their loved ones at Maury.
Alice Troy wrote:
My son is incarcerated in Maury Correctional. He has at least a half decent life while he is serving his time, which could be 22 yrs. The inmates have been informed they should be expecting a 23-hour daily lockdown, with 1 hour outside their cells. How can a person live in 9X10 cell 23 hours with nothing to do, nothing to read, nothing to ocupy their minds. Want this bring a riot or protest from the inmates? I know they have done something wrong, but they are not animals. Why is the Commadant treating this men as such? My son is so happy to get out of his cell and it gives me peace of mind each day without losing my own mind that he is locked up. Also, there are no law books in this prison for them to research their case. That is because the prisoners were doing their own law work and getting out on appeals, which is their constitutional right.
Not Important

Dunn, NC

#67 Aug 27, 2013
I am an employee of Maury and the things I have read up here are humorous as well as frustrating. You know one side of the story and that is your family member. Unless you are there 12 hours a day to see what goes on then you really dont have anything to say. The reason some inmates are locked up 24/7 is because they are a danger to the officers, the inmates, and themselves. There are some who choose to stay locked up like that 24/7. When you have an inmate who slashes an officers face, or stabs him with a shank that he should not have in the first place, do you think that the officer deserved that? NO! We work there because someone has to take care of these criminals. They are not fit to be in public because they are a threat to everyone. Just to remind you, Maury is a maximum security prison. That means these are serious offenders with serious rap sheets. They murdered people, they brutally raped people, sexually molested children, gang members repeated drug offenders. These are not so nice people. So when you ignorant people say that this is our job and if we dont like the way the inmates are treating us then get another job, You do not have a clue. We walk in there every day and risk our lives to protect society. We put up with a lot of things you cant possibly understand until you have been there. As for their entertainment, they get to watch TV, they have all the reading material at their discretion from the library. They get to make phone calls and get visitors. They can buy stuff within the prison. I work there, I pay taxes, I pay for everything I need and I have never committed a crime in my life. But your loved ones who are serving time for a crime they committed are getting free medical, free dental and vision. Three square meals a day. That is way more than some people who are struggling every day to make it day to day on a very small income and never committed a crime. This is not about God or judging people. It is the reality of a prison. It isnt pretty and things are going to happen everyday whether it be by the inmates or the officers.
Zieke1696

Wilmington, NC

#69 Dec 20, 2014
Nadia wrote:
They lost there constitutional right when they committed the crime.23hr.lockdown keeps the employees safe.These people have nothing too lose if they injure a employee.It is for the protection of employees and inmates also.If you committ the crime you follow the rules.My taxes are paying for this facility.There were suppose to be Dr.s there? They should have there hospital.They load them up and take them too local hospitals to waste my time.From toothache to toe aches.22yrs he commmited the crime he should serve the time they should put them out with chains on there feet and legs and pick up trash or dig out the local

creek
Wow! First and foremost, I dare say that they or we are wasting your time! I doubt very seriously you have been paying (if anything) in the way of taxes, social security or medicare! With this said, you really want to know how I know this? Your GRAMMAR SUCKS!!(hmm....I thought mine is bad)!!! And if a civilian hospital has hired you, SHAME ON THEM!! If Maury has you working as a Nurse, then may they go to Hell!!

They, Maury, obviously did not do a great background check!! We, mother's, father's, grandparents, sisters, brothers, daughters and son's and whoever else is on the list, WE, WE AND WE ONLY are the one's who are paying out of our pockets, as well to the Federal Gov't. We are being doubled dipped. And Mr. or Mrs. whoever you are, the last time I looked half of the inmates that are housed in Corrections are 97% Non-Violent Criminals with drug addictions! It is because of individuals on the outside who abuse our system, IE; (this means example in case you did not know) are using, abusing the system with welfare, food stamps, medicaid, thus our Cities not having the means, nor the resources for Mental Health Care! So before you spew your comments anywhere ever again; You remember this; IF YOU HAD HAVE PERFORMED ONE OUNCE OF RESEARCHED, OR HAD HALF AN EDUCATION TO DO SO, you would have kept your mouth shut to the above mother!
Read the papers, watch the news! You will see that our great technical advances are releasing innocent souls out here due to DNA proof who have been behind bars most of their lives. So I suggest darling, YOU GET EDUCATED AND GET A LIFE! AND KNOW NEXT TIME WHAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF!!

Sincerely,
TCSC
LightzOut

Raleigh, NC

#70 Feb 25, 2017
FORGIVE AND LOVE THEM wrote:
<quoted text>
**THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST IGNORANT POST THAT I'VE HAVE YET READ!
LOOK WE ARE NOT GOD AND HE DOESN'T NEED ANY SIDEKICKS AND DIDN'T ASK US TO JUDGE OTHERS. SO WHAT IF THEY COMMITTED A CRIME ! THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM ANIMALS OR SLAVES. ONLY GOD CAN TRYULY JUDGE THEM AND THEM BEING IN JAIL IS ALREADY A PUNISHMENT BUT TO BE SEGREGATED FOR 23 HOURS A DAY IS ABUSE! IF THE OFFICERS ARE SO SCARED THEN THEY NEED TO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE IN ANOTHER FIELD. THIS IS WHAT THEY SIGNED UP FOR!
BUT BEING MEAN TO THEM IS WRONG AND MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL BECAUSE YOUR IGNORANT!
That's how they think! They ( the facility) teaches a us against them mentality.
CONCERN WIFE

Warrenville, IL

#71 Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Convict 3135 wrote:
I have served time at Maury Correctional. At 19 a man tried to take my life and I defended myself, sentenced to 12 years. I Committed My Crime and paid the punishment asked by society. However, Maury Correctional is the most violent and ill managed facilities that I ever served time in.(I served at 17 facilities!) Granted inmates cause conflicts; however, miscommunication, ignorance and laziness by DOC staff is probably the leading cause of these conflicts.

Please judge me as being an ex-inmate! I run a successful-LEGAL- company and by judging me, you may want to look into the mirror. I made a mistake, one I cannot change. Does making a mistake dignify treating humans as animals? Stripping away every ounce of moral dignity and smiling as it happens? How about this: The very same guards whom are to be a moral examples are the very avenue of drugs, cell phones, and weapons into the facility
Its now 2017 maybe some corrections have been done . There is still room for improvements. I'm glad you are home and doing well. My husband have been in for 25 years and have been housed at different facilities . He said Maury is the worst one he have been too.The system within it self is corrupt.If the head is corrupt then the body will be as well.Some officers and inmates don't respect each other. The superintendent don't respect his employees vice versa. It need to be more programs to reform the inmates.The prisons have just been a breeding camp for those that leaves and comes back and for those that have been reform. They tend to give up because the system not doing right by them. A case worker told my husband that all inmates are the same and she see it as an eye for an eye. The question is . Why is she there? That is not her job to be opinionated. D.O.C NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER.
SIGNED:CONCERNED WIFE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Caro... (Oct '10) May '17 Cheated 14
Election Who do you support for State Senate in North Ca... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Wicked 26
so many blacks (Aug '16) Aug '16 anthonygibbs 1
Homes (Jun '16) Jun '16 Lawless4 1
News Four old boats (and the $100K to remove them) s... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Suzanne Irons 1
chris vause ( christian hunter vause) christian... (Sep '15) Sep '15 ruth habblete 1
News High school Common Core lesson promotes Muhamma... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Just a guy 1

Farmville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmville Mortgages