Jayar

Teaneck, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

Coramís single room schoolhouse was built in 1900 and used as a school until 1953. It then became Coramís first public library. It replaced an earlier school that dates back to 1813 and was located in a wooded knoll. It has been moved and now sits behind the Coram Fire Department on Middle Country Road. The fire department was using it for meetings, but now it seems badly in need of renovations. A former student remembers collecting hickory branches for the teacher to strike the hands of those who misbehaved. Collecting those branches must have been a punishment itself.

http://li-ruins.com/index.php...
BarefootPreachr

Athens, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2011

My dad (Bob Schwebes) and his siblings went to school in this schoolhouse and lived practically across the street! I remember it located by the Coram Fire Department when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Farmingville Discussions

Search the Farmingville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Uzi 115,028
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 10 hr positronium 6,343
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 12 hr Steve Douchy 6,364
The Waterfalls (Jun '08) 16 hr Tom 86
Trial begins in Coram chopped-up bodies case (Nov '09) 19 hr Bernard colletti 49
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Wed Sham Hannuty 16,777
Giant Garage Sale Jul 21 Charlie 12
•••
•••

Farmingville News Video

•••
•••

Farmingville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Farmingville People Search