Canandaigua VA sexual harassment case settled for $25K

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has settled a local employment discrimination case for $25,000. The case concerned Canandaigua VA's executive director and an employee. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dewey

Rochester, NY

#1 Oct 4, 2009
The VA is supposed to be taking care of the influx of veterans benefits claims that are flooding in.Instead, this guy is worried about if this woman is mutualy attracted to him. He get's paid to do a job for veterans, not harass woman.
Sue in Wayne County

Williamson, NY

#3 Oct 4, 2009
ewww, Howard certainly has bad taste in women.
Disgusted

Holley, NY

#4 Oct 4, 2009
Why would he sexually harass another man? There is craigslist ya know!
ToEachThereOwn

Holley, NY

#5 Oct 4, 2009
He looks like a woman with those bangs, and she looks like a man in that suit.
Captain Jerry Hines Jr

Webster, NY

#6 Oct 4, 2009
I think its important for veterans to be treated fairly and with dignity

“Never a Dull Moment”

Since: Aug 09

Somewhere in NY

#8 Oct 4, 2009
Gee folks. Blame the victim here. For crying out loud, there is a reason we have sexual harassment laws out there. I for one do not ever want to go back to the "old days" of the old boy's network and women were told to stay barefoot and pregnant.

The guy was a pig and got called out for it.

Think about it. Would you want someone acting like that towards your mother, your sister or wife on the job?

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 4, 2009
Rednecked Mama wrote:
Gee folks. Blame the victim here. For crying out loud, there is a reason we have sexual harassment laws out there. I for one do not ever want to go back to the "old days" of the old boy's network and women were told to stay barefoot and pregnant.
The guy was a pig and got called out for it.
Think about it. Would you want someone acting like that towards your mother, your sister or wife on the job?
Hey red neckmoma, how you doin? good I hope, you take care and thank you.
BillR

Rochester, NY

#10 Oct 4, 2009
It's nice to see someone has the strength to stand up for what is ethically and professionally right. This behavior should not be tolerated in any institution. Why is he still there??? It is unfortunate, though, too often the person that files these complaints ends up being the victim. She has nothing to be ashamed of and she should walk with her head held high!
Sue in Wayne County

Williamson, NY

#11 Oct 4, 2009
Rednecked Mama wrote:
Would you want someone acting like that towards your mother, your sister or wife on the job?
Acting like what? We don't know what he did. We are told he "made comments" but no one has reported exactly what the comments were or upon what criteria they were deemed "inappropriate." These kinds of laws are ripe for exploitation by disgruntled employees, and I would not be at all surprised if the real reason for this lawsuit was that she was passed over for a promotion, didn't get a raise, or didn't get flowers Be Nice to Nurses Day.

Not only is she butt-ugly in that photo, she is a vengeful biatch. If she was truly "harassed," the settlement money should be enough. No, she is apparently on a crusade to make sure "...he doesn't do this to anybody else." Do what to anybody else? She never clearly tells us what it is that he did.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#13 Oct 4, 2009
Sue in Wayne County wrote:
<quoted text>
Acting like what? We don't know what he did. We are told he "made comments" but no one has reported exactly what the comments were or upon what criteria they were deemed "inappropriate." These kinds of laws are ripe for exploitation by disgruntled employees, and I would not be at all surprised if the real reason for this lawsuit was that she was passed over for a promotion, didn't get a raise, or didn't get flowers Be Nice to Nurses Day.
Not only is she butt-ugly in that photo, she is a vengeful biatch. If she was truly "harassed," the settlement money should be enough. No, she is apparently on a crusade to make sure "...he doesn't do this to anybody else." Do what to anybody else? She never clearly tells us what it is that he did.
Sue,do you want me to lower myself to you? Butt-ugly? And I take it that you were there when they made the settlement,you have no idea what you are talking about. What you need to do is correct people on their spelling and the fact that they got a flat screen tv and 200.00 because thats the only thing you know how to do stupid. And you castrate news team ten for this or that but you still keep reading,so who is stupid,STUPID?

“Never a Dull Moment”

Since: Aug 09

Somewhere in NY

#14 Oct 4, 2009
Sue, have you ever been in the position where someone makes remarks to you on the job that are just so inappropriate? Well, I have. At the time it happened, I had no way to fight back without fear of losing my job.

As far as exactly what happened, it is not necessary for the public to know it in full details. Rest assured, he was probably a pig for doing it. Her looks (or lack of) mean nothing. It's not a matter of "passion" it is all about power. He's putting her "in her place" by making the remarks he did or doing whatever he did to humiliate her.

It is not acceptable. Period.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#15 Oct 4, 2009
Sue in Wayne County wrote:
<quoted text>
Acting like what? We don't know what he did. We are told he "made comments" but no one has reported exactly what the comments were or upon what criteria they were deemed "inappropriate." These kinds of laws are ripe for exploitation by disgruntled employees, and I would not be at all surprised if the real reason for this lawsuit was that she was passed over for a promotion, didn't get a raise, or didn't get flowers Be Nice to Nurses Day.
Not only is she butt-ugly in that photo, she is a vengeful biatch. If she was truly "harassed," the settlement money should be enough. No, she is apparently on a crusade to make sure "...he doesn't do this to anybody else." Do what to anybody else? She never clearly tells us what it is that he did.
Look,go to sleep Claire Bell.and tend to you re stolen cows.
Leroy Jones

Rochester, NY

#16 Oct 4, 2009
Burb trash doing what they know best

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#17 Oct 4, 2009
Rednecked Mama wrote:
Sue, have you ever been in the position where someone makes remarks to you on the job that are just so inappropriate? Well, I have. At the time it happened, I had no way to fight back without fear of losing my job.
As far as exactly what happened, it is not necessary for the public to know it in full details. Rest assured, he was probably a pig for doing it. Her looks (or lack of) mean nothing. It's not a matter of "passion" it is all about power. He's putting her "in her place" by making the remarks he did or doing whatever he did to humiliate her.
It is not acceptable. Period.
And you what red neck mamma, it takes an act of congress to prove it
Manofwar

Albion, NY

#19 Oct 4, 2009
BillR wrote:
It's nice to see someone has the strength to stand up for what is ethically and professionally right. This behavior should not be tolerated in any institution. Why is he still there??? It is unfortunate, though, too often the person that files these complaints ends up being the victim. She has nothing to be ashamed of and she should walk with her head held high!
How do you know what she says is true? You woman are dangerous, you really are..
BillR

Rochester, NY

#20 Oct 4, 2009
Manofwar wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know what she says is true? You woman are dangerous, you really are..
Well, the VA settled, so something must have been true.
Tony Manero

Rochester, NY

#21 Oct 4, 2009
Why is it that only the uglacious women claim sexual harassment?

Another question: If the shoe was on the other foot, would it be sexual HISassment???????
josie

Hilton, NY

#22 Oct 4, 2009
VA wouldn't settle if there wasn't something to it but how does he keep his job?; I think 2/14/09 Garcia guy began with sexual harassment problem...
Ron

Holley, NY

#23 Oct 4, 2009
BillR wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the VA settled, so something must have been true.
Unfortunately, many companies will settle regardless of guilt. It can take 3 or 4 times the amount of money provided in a settlement to defend yourself in court. The cost of capable, qualified attorney's, private investigators, expert witness's and so on can far out weigh the effects of a quick settlement. It happens everyday. How much money do you think the VA has for that kind of expense?
Sue in Wayne County

Williamson, NY

#24 Oct 4, 2009
BillR wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the VA settled, so something must have been true.
Not necessarily. Insurance companies will pay out a bogus claim in a heartbeat if it proves cheaper than making a legal defense. And $25K is really not all that much in a case like this.

Anyone watch Seinfeld? Remember the Mulva episode? Remember this?

"A conversation in Milwaukee the day after the episode aired led to a law suit in which jurors awarded Jerold J. Mackenzie $26.6 million on July 15, 1997. Mackenzie was terminated by Miller Brewing Co. on the basis that discussing the episode with his secretary constituted sexual harassment.[2] Later, however, the lawsuit was overturned by the court of appeals, and this ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin." (from Wikipedia)

I don't know whether this woman has a case or not because I don't know any of the details. But what I do know is that these kinds of laws are easily exploited by people with an agenda or a grudge.

P.S. I still think she is butt-ugly with a chip on her shoulder about this guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 34 min NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 44 min NAVYVET 6,391
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr positronium 6,463
Family of Kevin Ward, Jr. issues statement 17 hr So Be It 244
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sun Jeff 16,795
Village DPW crew should be fired. Sep 26 Vote Zornow 3
Deputies: Canandaigua man found lying in a fiel... Sep 24 Some level of cul... 1
Farmington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Farmington Jobs

Farmington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Farmington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Farmington

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]