Wine at Wegmans? Not without a fight!

Full story: WHEC-TV Rochester, NY

In this tough economy Wegmans is advertising on TV and radio stations for the first time in years, but it's not to compete with Tops and Wal-Mart. Wegmans wants wine on its shelves.
Comments
121 - 129 of 129 Comments Last updated Mar 29, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Mia

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Why isn't anyone arguing over the custom craft beers they are selling? Doesn't that put the small beer shops out of business? No, it doesn't. Get over it.
Richard

Springfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I purchase a lot of wine from small and large stores. I search for the best price and often they are at the small stores but you have to shop for them. A lot of the small wine stores do not now their wines and get sold a bill of goods by the distributors. Others just hope they can remember the sales pitch they were given. Those that know their wines tell me they are doing fine. Even at Wegmans I have to shop or the prices are out of sight. It is touching to hear the comments but I wonder how many of these people actually are wine buyers. By this I mean go beyond the grocery or quick pick up place for wine? I check out almost all of my wines via the two most reliable sites, Wine Spectator and Parker. I see their price. Actually the worse prices are from the producers not the stores.

“The Wise One”

Since: Sep 07

The Heart of the Heartland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

"I check out almost all of my wines via the two most reliable sites, Wine Spectator and Parker. I see their price. Actually the worse prices are from the producers not the stores."

Well, good for you...
Let's just find the best LOCAL selection and the best LOCAL prices...
unless you're buying huge quantities..
Then again, you're shipping fees may kill any savings...
Price Right Rules

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Richard wrote:
It is touching to hear the comments but I wonder how many of these people actually are wine buyers. By this I mean go beyond the grocery or quick pick up place for wine?
Those of you that go beyond a quick pick up place are all drunks and don't know whats best for you.
There is NO need for Wegmans to sell wine, but to show how greedy they are.
All it would do is put others out of business and help many people become drunks.
If they sell it, then everyone else can sell it.
Whats next, hard alcohol sold everywhere? Will I be able to pick up a bottle of Rum at a Hess Mart?
If Wegmans is doing soo great as a food store, they would not need to sell wine. But the truth is they are starting to hurt and they see their days are numbered.
The Man

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Price Right Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Those of you that go beyond a quick pick up place are all drunks and don't know whats best for you.
There is NO need for Wegmans to sell wine, but to show how greedy they are.
All it would do is put others out of business and help many people become drunks.
If they sell it, then everyone else can sell it.
Whats next, hard alcohol sold everywhere? Will I be able to pick up a bottle of Rum at a Hess Mart?
If Wegmans is doing soo great as a food store, they would not need to sell wine. But the truth is they are starting to hurt and they see their days are numbered.
Obviously, you're a douche bag.
Wegmans Bait _Switch

Royersford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

On top of Wegmans trying to include themselves into every niche market, their hiring practices of late leave much to be desired. They are posting all these jobs for their new Malvern and KOP and Collegeville, PA stores but then they drag you thru the ringer to jump thru their hoops like a performing monkey with the hopes/promise of a real job only to have them call and offer an entry level CSR job at $9 an hour. Seems we know how they pay for those huge pretty stores, on the low wages of the people who keep it together. Sorry Wegmans, I might be out of work but im not desp enough to take slave wages to work 3rd shift when you openly lie about Team Lead spots being open then a month later saying "they were hired months ago". Stop calling me every month to ask about my last 2 employers too, it's on the resume and i've already told them 50 times. just another big box retailer mentality using people like cattle...says it all about America there! Dance Monkeys DANCE! We r in charge, we will make you pee in cups and answer the same stupid questions over and over again for min wage, no wonder this country is a joke.

“Get out of MY country!!”

Since: Feb 10

HopBotton in Pennsyltucky....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Judged:

I am not a wine connoisseur at all and don't care who sells what, IT is called competition and it produces lower prices in the long run.. Quitcherbitchin
The Man

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Wegmans Bait _Switch wrote:
On top of Wegmans trying to include themselves into every niche market, their hiring practices of late leave much to be desired. They are posting all these jobs for their new Malvern and KOP and Collegeville, PA stores but then they drag you thru the ringer to jump thru their hoops like a performing monkey with the hopes/promise of a real job only to have them call and offer an entry level CSR job at $9 an hour. Seems we know how they pay for those huge pretty stores, on the low wages of the people who keep it together. Sorry Wegmans, I might be out of work but im not desp enough to take slave wages to work 3rd shift when you openly lie about Team Lead spots being open then a month later saying "they were hired months ago". Stop calling me every month to ask about my last 2 employers too, it's on the resume and i've already told them 50 times. just another big box retailer mentality using people like cattle...says it all about America there! Dance Monkeys DANCE! We r in charge, we will make you pee in cups and answer the same stupid questions over and over again for min wage, no wonder this country is a joke.
We're sure glad you don't work for Wegmans. They wouldn't hire douchbags like yourself anyway. Only decent people need apply.
the truth will come out

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

the bottom line is greed. not just weggies, but the boys who balance the books. it's a free for all on juggling the inventory, sales, and tax revenue. the county, the vineyards(who do ya think owns 'em) and a new way to screw everybody who is screwable...ie the taxpayers as a whole. and buy the way who do ya think owns and runs price right? it aint the good guys..same crap different day. when will we ever learn. and for weggies to be defensive at the premise that the small wine retailers are just upset about the undoing of their monopoly is just ridiculous and an insult to the community at large. gimme a break.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Farmington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Farmington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Farmington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Farmington