Wine at Wegmans? Not without a fight!

Wine at Wegmans? Not without a fight!

There are 129 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Mar 23, 2009, titled Wine at Wegmans? Not without a fight!. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

In this tough economy Wegmans is advertising on TV and radio stations for the first time in years, but it's not to compete with Tops and Wal-Mart. Wegmans wants wine on its shelves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Wegmans sucks

Myrtle Beach, SC

#1 Mar 23, 2009
What a great freaking idea letting Wegmans be able to sell wine in there stores so it can take down every small business liquor store. If this happens then bye bye East Ave Liquor and all the other small stores around Rochester and NYS. How would this be a great idea for wegmans to sell wine so the little guys can suffer now and have to shut down while wegmans continues to rape the consumer with overprice products and continue to turn a profit year after year. Leave the selling of wine and liquor to the liquor stores and let Wegmans sell groceries.
Donna

Rochester, NY

#2 Mar 24, 2009
This is so wrong it really is. More $$ for who? Your just gonna jusst down the SMALL Buisness man Hope you are Happy Danny & Mr. Patterson
Hockey Lover

United States

#3 Mar 24, 2009
Wegmans I love your stores but stop being so greedy,stay out of the wine business.
Grandma

Spencerport, NY

#4 Mar 24, 2009
If Wegman's sells wine, how is it going to create more jobs? Just Danny putting more money in his pocket.
AggieHeaven

Levittown, PA

#5 Mar 24, 2009
You said it Grandma. Danny is already receiving enough millions in tax breaks from Empire Zones while he refuses to pay health benefits for his employees by limiting their hours to 29 per week. Enough is enough.

Its time for the Wegman family to stop putting their hand out and start paying up what they owe to the New York taxpayers. It is people like Dan Wegman that are the largest contributors to the economic crisis in New York and taxpayers / consumers need to say NO!!!!
what a joke

Rochester, NY

#6 Mar 24, 2009
This is just sad! All these years as mom & pop stores & here goes Danny taken that away too.NYS has had so much control on liquor stores & laws for years & then the name Wegman comes into the equation (even though they own liquor stores just in relatives names for the licenses)and years of laws are going to change.As I say what a joke! Danny back off for once.....
R Perkins

United States

#7 Mar 24, 2009
Liquor stores aren't even allowed to sell necessary soda beverages or foods that accompany liquor sales, so it seems completely unfair that Wegmans should be able to sell wine.
In a time when small businesses are shutting down due to the economy, why would this even be a consideration?
While I love one-stop shopping, I'm tired of seeing the big companies prevail at the expense of the little companies. Power is everything.
Sa m

Fairport, NY

#8 Mar 24, 2009
The Wegmans family have purchase a Liquor Distributorship. Who's to say if the law is change that they go to wineries and get exclusive selling rights for their stores because of their buying power.
There will be a lost of jobs with the closing of liquor stores. The jobs that Wegmans say will be created would most likely be a small amount of part time. I can't see very many smaller stores selling wine because of limited space for wine and with the cost of a liquor license it work be a lost leader. So the increase of license fees for large stores would be offset by the lost of fees from liquor stores Will Wegmans give the small NY wineries a guarantee that if some of their wines are not fast sellers that they will be taken off the shelf for another brand of wine that sells in larger quantities.
If the law does past and allot of liquor stores do close then there will be less competition and prices could rise.
Mary

AOL

#9 Mar 24, 2009
I shope at Wegman's and Top's both. But this would upset me to the point of not going there ever again. Danny has enough money. He doesn't need to do this to smaller companies who are just trying to make a living too.
I will always support the smaller stores.
Dale

Falls Church, VA

#10 Mar 24, 2009
Why is this story about Wegmans? The law is about letting ALL grocery stores sell wine. Earth to Rochester, there exists more than one grocery store on this planet. Besides, there’s no way they’ll be able to carry the selection of wine you get at a liquor store. Plus you’ll still have to go to a liquor store to get the hard stuff. Bottom line: Stop Shopping At Wegmans!!!
Paul

Schaumburg, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2009
I'm am all for allowing wine in grocery stores but why not allow liquor stores to sell non-alcohol items and beer?
Kathryn

Rochester, NY

#12 Mar 24, 2009
Not a good idea. It is anti-small business to change the rules of the game in the middle. What about the liquor store that recently opened? Fair to change the wine sale rule now? Also, grocery stores have a big enough problem with theft of the beer by store employees and selling to their friends who are under-age. We own three grocery stores and are against this. This is just a money maker for the state. Does anyone know what the fee is going to be for the grocery stores to get this wine-selling license? That's what it's all about.
Sa m

Fairport, NY

#13 Mar 24, 2009
The profits of hard liquor sales are lower than wine. Wine profits help keep the stores in business. Here in NY you have to buy large case amounts. Sometimes as much as 25 to 50 cases per type(Cab,Merlot ect.) to get a lower price. Smaller grocery store would not have the stockroom space and my not be able to tie up that much money. Again less competition. Prices will rise.

Since: Dec 07

United States

#14 Mar 24, 2009
No wine sales at Wegmans is best for the community.
Paul

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Mar 24, 2009
Kathryn wrote:
Not a good idea. It is anti-small business to change the rules of the game in the middle. What about the liquor store that recently opened? Fair to change the wine sale rule now? Also, grocery stores have a big enough problem with theft of the beer by store employees and selling to their friends who are under-age. We own three grocery stores and are against this. This is just a money maker for the state. Does anyone know what the fee is going to be for the grocery stores to get this wine-selling license? That's what it's all about.
I do support the change in the law because I think it will lower wine cost and am tired of the small stores with lousy selections and high prices . I think it is fair to give some time before the new law is inacted say 6-12 months so the liquor stores they can adjust.
Paul

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Mar 24, 2009
Tony Dentino wrote:
No wine sales at Wegmans is best for the community.
C'mon Tony, wake UP!! You and others who oppose this most likely were against big box stores like Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy etc. How many people today would vote to NOT have these stores around? Not many.. What they have done is lower the cost of many products and increased selections.I think the same will happen if this new law is inacted Tony.
Sa m

Fairport, NY

#17 Mar 24, 2009
At first you may have a larger selection of wines. Once the dust settles and the sales shows that let say of the 40 wines in the store 25 are flying of the shelf the other may have to go. Its all about profit to floor space. How many times have you gone into a large grocery looking for something and told it was not a good seller and it was discontinued. Don't be fooled in thinking that the large stores are going to dedicated large areas for wine. Will you have a a larger selection than a mid size liquor store I don't think so.
Paul

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Mar 24, 2009
Sa m wrote:
At first you may have a larger selection of wines. Once the dust settles and the sales shows that let say of the 40 wines in the store 25 are flying of the shelf the other may have to go. Its all about profit to floor space. How many times have you gone into a large grocery looking for something and told it was not a good seller and it was discontinued. Don't be fooled in thinking that the large stores are going to dedicated large areas for wine. Will you have a a larger selection than a mid size liquor store I don't think so.
Sam, I suggest you visit one of the 35 states that allow wine sales in grocery stores . Some of the stores I visited have HUGE selections of wine at good prices. Last January when I drove to a small liquor store in my area to buy wine the store was closed. The sign on the door read" Owner on vacation closed for one week". Haven't had this problem with Wegmans or Tops. How about you Sam?
JDS65

Freeville, NY

#19 Mar 24, 2009
I have spent time in other states where wine was sold in grocery stores. The Liquor stores still thrived because they had a better selection and they had Spirits which were not sold in the grocery stores. I think a good addendum to the law would be that they could only carry a certain amount of floor space devoted to wine sales. I happen to really like Wegmans. After living in other areas of the country Wegmans is far and away the best grocery store I have ever shopped in. I guess I am confused by all the haters on here. Wegmans may have some higher prices but I think they have better products better selections and from what I have heard they treat their employees very well. Scholarships, benefits etc. Plus I always see plenty of Wegman employee's with 10+ years of employment on their name tags. People don't usually stick around at a job for that long if they are being treated unfairly. They have excellent prepared food and very knowledgable staff. All of that comes at a price. If you are not interested then by all means go to the real American business killer Walmart. Great prices, terrible service and if you go to the one on East Ridge you have a better then average chance of being mugged, shot or stabbed or all three if your really lucky.
Lori Lamey

Ruther Glen, VA

#20 Mar 24, 2009
The advocates for the sale of wine in grocery stores fail to mention the fact that unproofed minors will have access to a much higher proof of alcohol. Yes, Wegman's requires an ID from anyone purchasing alcohol but what about the corner stores?? The little guys who are only as strong on proofing as their weakest link employee??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm looking for Parismine Mar 19 LeifandDad 2
News What's your opinion of the Hazzard County Squir... (Feb '13) Feb 28 city slickers 30
News Pittsford among top 100 places to live (Apr '09) Feb '17 thr 78
Clover Crossings Apartment Complex Becoming maj... (Dec '14) Jan '17 rocgirl 11
News Norfolk woman accused of stealing TV from Canto... (Dec '12) Jan '17 Rachel 25
News Developers propose switching stalled Canandaigu... Jan '17 Rachel 1
News Woman suffers from overdose, man arrested for i... (Mar '09) Jan '17 Anthony Wolck 14

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages