Farmington is not a racist community

Once again the accusation of "racism" has been aimed at our town, and each time this happens I am personally offended. Full Story
First Prev
of 32
Next Last
Tom

Tucson, AZ

#2 Sep 21, 2008
No....only the families that have move in from the Gulf Coastal states since beginning in the 1950s-60s-70s.....The actual pioneers to Farming Town were never 'racists' and in fact thrived on establishing business/commumity relationships with their Indian brethren.....Of course this al changed with the advent of oil and gas.
susie-q

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Sep 21, 2008
I'm from California, and as far as I am concerned racism exist only in the mind of the person who has been raised to hate a certain nationality, or for some other reason has learned to dislike someone because of the color of their skin, black, brown, red or yellow. When I moved here I saw the same dislike for Mexicans as I see in California, I know why they are disliked there, why are they disliked here, for the same reasons? I don't have anything against the Navajos, Blacks, Mexicans or any other nationality. I do have things against rude, nasty, and unfriendly people, no matter what color.
mbk

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Sep 21, 2008
My family and I travel to Farmington once a month to have dental care taken care of for our daughter. Being Native American, we find racial discrimination in every place we have gone, but for 90% of our experiences in Farmington,we have had a very enjoyable visit. For the other 10% we blow it off and feel that it,s the other persons problem and ignorance is only fueled by ignorance.
Jodgy

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Sep 21, 2008
I try to look at any problem with a simple formula: E+R=O. E is the event, R is my reaction, and O is the outcome.

I cannot very often control events (unless I cause them) so I don't worry too much over that.

I CAN control my reaction to events and thus influence the outcome.

If I treat others the way I expect to be treated, USUALLY the result is pleasent. Occasionally, it is not. However, it is how I react to the occasional racist attitude that determines the final outcome.

Is Farmington a racist community? Of course it is: it contains all sorts of races that interact with each other. E+R=O - it's up to you.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

#6 Sep 21, 2008
Jodgy wrote:
Is Farmington a racist community? Of course it is: it contains all sorts of races that interact with each other. E+R=O - it's up to you.
I agree. Do we have race riots? Have we burned our town to the ground? Do we have murders in the streets based on race every week?

No. Yet there are cities that have all these things.

The VAST majority of Farmington residents, Hispanic, European, and Native are good decent people to whom racism is abhorrent.

Don let the actions and words of a deluded few (on both sides!) give you impression that this community is a lost cause.

Different races have been getting along in New Mexico for thousands of years. We should celebrate that.
Local Native

Kayenta, AZ

#7 Sep 21, 2008
I am extremely offended by this article, which seem to have no merit, but one's personal ideals!!! Try enjoyin activities outside your norm and you'll see the prejudices we locals deal with. I've grown up here and have just seen the race card delt in a "stealth" way nowadays, rather than in your face.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

#8 Sep 21, 2008
Local Native wrote:
! Try enjoyin activities outside your norm and you'll see the prejudices we locals deal with.
What activities would those be? I attended Christmas dinner with my best friends at the Chapter house. I am "Honorary Toadacheenie clan" in the eyes of all my best friends. I go out and do just about everything in this community there is to do from concerts, to movies, to park events, to swimming at the aquatic center and what I've seen is that the people of Farmington, of all races, are good to each other.

All, except of course, a few bad apples like you apparently.

I've grown up here and have just seen the race card delt in a "stealth" way nowadays, rather than in your face.
OK...that "stealth" way you are talking about? It's just your own biased perception. Since you think everyone is racist, you continually filter and misperceive events around you... intentionally.

That way, the world fits your twisted views.
wapiti

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Sep 21, 2008
Finally, some intellegent writing. Thank you.
farmington local

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Sep 21, 2008
i went to school at Kirtland Central and a navajo girl came up to me and said "go back to where you came from because I was white" racism happens everywhere and to everyone. Wether your going to be bitter about it is your choice.
No Body

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Sep 21, 2008
Saint_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Do we have race riots? Have we burned our town to the ground? Do we have murders in the streets based on race every week?
No. Yet there are cities that have all these things.
The VAST majority of Farmington residents, Hispanic, European, and Native are good decent people to whom racism is abhorrent.
Don let the actions and words of a deluded few (on both sides!) give you impression that this community is a lost cause.
Different races have been getting along in New Mexico for thousands of years. We should celebrate that.
Saint
You speak very wisely. I agree with everything you have said.
I have two small children and am trying to teach them this same way. But I have noticed that several people in Farmington are RUDE (seems to be all). When you have a 5 yr old holding the door for you and you just shove past him and others to get inside first or walk by without saying Thank you (I know this is alot for some to say). My kid doesn't know much about race and he even comments when people are rude.
I think alot of the race issues people are talking about are just people being rude. No one anymore seems to know how to be courteous or nice.
Maxi

Cedaredge, CO

#12 Sep 21, 2008
susie-q wrote:
I'm from California, and as far as I am concerned racism exist only in the mind of the person who has been raised to hate a certain nationality, or for some other reason has learned to dislike someone because of the color of their skin, black, brown, red or yellow. When I moved here I saw the same dislike for Mexicans as I see in California, I know why they are disliked there, why are they disliked here, for the same reasons? I don't have anything against the Navajos, Blacks, Mexicans or any other nationality. I do have things against rude, nasty, and unfriendly people, no matter what color.
Where in CA are you from? Were you there in '92 during the LA riots? I was, my daughter's 5th b-day was 4/29/92. The same day Reginald Denny was beat up only because he was white. That's one reason we are here in Farmington.
Nothing here compares to LA. A mob of blacks beat up a defenseless white man doing his job. They get off in court. 3 white kids beat up a Navajo and go to jail for many years. Much more justice here.
Maxi

Cedaredge, CO

#13 Sep 21, 2008
My point is in the greater scheme of things Farmington is a great place to live. Especially compared to other places. It's boring here but that's the worst thing I can say about it.
Rob

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Sep 21, 2008
I feel ya on this, I am a navajo teen and do show respect to anybody who's aybody, but if that person does not want to be in aquantince with me then fine by that. But yeah F-town is not racist at all, there are a few people out their that are bigots as you put it, but other than that you can a see a mash of ethnicities in groups of peopl nowadays. MUCH PEACE AND LESS GREED have a nice day :)
Rob

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Sep 21, 2008
word! so true!! I wish everyone would just get along, who cares of the color of skin! mad love for each human being!
SAFEGUY

Tempe, AZ

#16 Sep 21, 2008
RESPECT. ALL PEOPLE ARE OBLIGATED TO RESPECT THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF OTHERS. EACH ETHNIC GROUP MUST RESPECT THE POSITIVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF OTHERS. WE MUST NOT DWELL ON THE NEGATIVE. WHEN ONE THINKS POSITIVELY ABOUT WHAT HE OR SHE LIKES ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF EACH GROUP, THEN WE WILL ALL LIVE TOGETHER AS PEOPLE. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE "AMERICAN WAY" OR THE "LEFT" OR THE "RIGHT" OR WHERE WE CAME FROM, BUT THE HUMAN DIGNITY THAT EACH OF US DESERVE. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER! WE MUST MAKE THE BEST OF IT. IF WE DON'T START RESPECTING EACH OTHER OUR WHOLE WORLD WILL UNRAVEL. IT'S NOT TOO LATE.
Dont Forget

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Sep 21, 2008
If a salesperson doesn't come up to you right away is it racism or poor service? I see racism every day. But it would surprise you on who the offender is. If a non-native even steps into a business on the Rez they are treated like a piece of dirt. If a Native American walks into a store and is not immediately acknowledged they cry racism but out on the "Rez" its acceptably to treat non-natives like outsiders. Why is a double standard ok.
SAFEGUY

Tempe, AZ

#18 Sep 21, 2008
Dont Forget wrote:
If a salesperson doesn't come up to you right away is it racism or poor service? I see racism every day. But it would surprise you on who the offender is. If a non-native even steps into a business on the Rez they are treated like a piece of dirt. If a Native American walks into a store and is not immediately acknowledged they cry racism but out on the "Rez" its acceptably to treat non-natives like outsiders. Why is a double standard ok.
IT ISN'T OK. RESPECT. IF YOU ENTER A BUSINESS ON THE REZ REMEMBER, YOU ARE IN THEIR BACK YARD. IF YOU EXPECT HOSTILE TREATMENT YOU WILL PROBABLY RECEIVE HOSTILE TREATMENT. GOOD LUCK!

“Lets Play Nice, Kids.”

Since: Sep 08

San Juan County, New Mexico

#19 Sep 21, 2008
Dont Forget wrote:
If a non-native even steps into a business on the Rez they are treated like a piece of dirt. If a Native American walks into a store and is not immediately acknowledged they cry racism but out on the "Rez" its acceptably to treat non-natives like outsiders. Why is a double standard ok.
I have to dispute this comment. I have been taking my children to Shiprock for medical treatment for about 6 years now. My children are members of a tribe other than Navajo. My children appear to be "white" and have light brown hair and green eyes. In no way, shape or form do we visually appear to "fit in" with the citizens of Shiprock.

I make it a point not to treat anyone that I encounter in a way that I don't want reciprocated. Essentially, I don't expect them to adhere to my personal and cultural customs, and I don't believe I am superior to anyone else. Thus, I have NEVER been mistreated in Shiprock at the gas stations, restaurants or the medical center.

I firmly believe that it does not matter what racial background you belong to, if you expect to be treated badly, your actions will guarantee that you will have a negative experience. In the event that a situation arises where discrimination takes place without provication, the specific action and the specific biggot need to be exposed. I do not condone the mistreatment of ANYONE, and my experiences show that most of the people I encounter concur.
Tim 2

Farmington, NM

#20 Sep 21, 2008
Local Native wrote:
I am extremely offended by this article, which seem to have no merit, but one's personal ideals!!! Try enjoyin activities outside your norm and you'll see the prejudices we locals deal with. I've grown up here and have just seen the race card delt in a "stealth" way nowadays, rather than in your face.
Umm... it is an Editorial, which means it IS someone's opinion.

Since: Apr 08

Sanostee, NM

#21 Sep 22, 2008
Jodgy wrote:
I try to look at any problem with a simple formula: E+R=O. E is the event, R is my reaction, and O is the outcome.
I cannot very often control events (unless I cause them) so I don't worry too much over that.
I CAN control my reaction to events and thus influence the outcome.
If I treat others the way I expect to be treated, USUALLY the result is pleasent. Occasionally, it is not. However, it is how I react to the occasional racist attitude that determines the final outcome.
Kudos to your comment. I firmly believe you treat people the way you want to be treated. You can kill them with kindness and make them realize that stuff doesn't bother you. It'll only make them realize who dumb they really are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 32
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Islam promote violence 2 hr Does it or not 1
Farmington residents asked to use boiled, bottl... Sun Apple 1
No racism problems? That's simply denial (Sep '09) Sun MXMN 2,855
FPD Bored? Sun MXMN 9
FBI identifies human remains found on Navajo Na... Sep 13 RezDine 6
Iraq War Sep 13 Barry is the Problem 42
Locals: Obama's inauguration signals better rac... (Jan '09) Sep 12 As come easy go 89
•••
•••
•••

Farmington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Farmington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••