Councilors upset with information flow

Councilors upset with information flow

There are 51 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jun 16, 2011, titled Councilors upset with information flow. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

The murder last week of a Farmington doctor led to a communications issue coming to light at Tuesday night's City Council meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bubba Gump

Grass Valley, CA

#1 Jun 16, 2011
The breakdown in communication is Mayes, by his position, was entitled to certain perks to have the killers previous charges dismissed. I am not aware of any youthful offender who has 7 felonies dismissed in lieu of attending NMMI without police or JPO having input. Just take a look at yesterdays paper in the article about the PD's summer program it was full of youths who had sentences in drug and juvenile court. I bet very few had been charged with 7 felonies and walked.
Although I rarely agree with Fischer I do agree with this. Knowing how the City works it was just a stall tactic to get their ducks in a row. As Roberts said he stands behind Mayes 100% and hopes the community does too. Give me a break. I hope the Council looks close at the relationship between Mayes and Westall its more than just a working relationship. How many past City Managers were issued a firearm and given a meaningless badge?
You can see the relationship between Mayes and Westall how he and his henchman, McPheeters, were exonerated of any wrong doing in the hinderance of the suspicious death after the academy drinking lab. Not to mention the cover-up of multiple missing departmental firearms. Not to mention at the on-set of the investigation Westall removing FPD units from the scene and requesting State Police to investigate which would be at least a 4-5 delay in the investigation and Westall stating to investigators that the Mayes' are close personal friends of his and vouching for the character of John Mayes.
I hope the Council requests an independent outside inquiry but we all know it will be the same song and dance that its not required the good ol' boys will never be held accountable but they'll find someone else to blame.

Since: Jun 11

United States

#2 Jun 16, 2011
"I believe in open government," Fischer said. "With the murder that took place, there was ample opportunity for Tommy to call a special meeting of the City Council to discuss details of the crime and Rob Mayes' future."

This is a criminal investigation.'Rob Mayes future' is a seperate investigation. What happens with this statement if Mayes Jr. is found innocent? We still presume innoncence correct? If and when he is charged and convicted then you may address this information. And that would lead to someone not suffering from anothers actions. Many of the points addressed in the these forums derserve their own investigations, but the odd familiarity of Mrs/Ms Fischer with leaders of our community (i.e.'Tommy') and refusing to separate each issue and then ACT on it unfortunetly makes me feel like this is all a cranky debate in a coffee shop, not the reasonable, clear, and profound actions of a government.
what a joke

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 16, 2011
mary and jasomn are mad they didn't have the first chance to spread rumors and lies. They both need to resign
love it

Boulder, CO

#4 Jun 16, 2011
Were they in on the email Tommy sent around to all employees saying how great Rob Mayes is, and that the City will support him and stand by him?

Mary and Jason -- keep up the good work. Give the Mayor hell.

Since: Dec 10

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jun 16, 2011
love it wrote:
Were they in on the email Tommy sent around to all employees saying how great Rob Mayes is, and that the City will support him and stand by him?
Mary and Jason -- keep up the good work. Give the Mayor hell.
Fischer doesn't even publish an email address or have one with the city.
See: http://www.fmtn.org/city_government/administr...

I've tried the normal syntax the city uses [email protected] & it gets kicked back.

I believe in today's day, it's irresponsible of an elected official not to have (& publish) an email address to contact them by. Even more so how she dare complain about "timeliness of communication" when she doesn't use email.
Again

Florence, AL

#6 Jun 16, 2011
"Our job is to help quell the hysteria," Sandel said. "If we don't have the information in a timely manner, we become part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. I am very frustrated with the lack of communication that has come from the city regarding this heinous crime."

What??? What hysteria is Sandel talking about?

Since: Dec 10

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 16, 2011
From an employment end of things, this is a private affair between Rob Mayes and his supervisor(s). His supervisor(s) should determine how this will effect his work; and if on the long-term (say beyond vacation time) he cannot manage his job to the standards the city needs, then it would be time to replace him.

"The City" should play no part in the personal aspect only in any personnel issues that arise.

Of course, there are the rumors and innuendos (that I have no evidence of) regarding "the son" and possible improprieties regarding previous handling of alleged crimes. If any city official has knowledge or reason to suspect such, then they would be duly responsible to start investigating such.
Daddy Kalinka

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jun 16, 2011
This is a police issue and we didn't elect city councilors to handle police matters.What a bunch of dorks.Let the law handle it and it looks like this ONE is being done by the book.
END OF STORY D.K.
johnson

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jun 16, 2011
What you need is a giant 10 commandments statue.
BooHoo

Huntsville, AL

#10 Jun 16, 2011
Mary fisher said "Waaaaaaaaa Tommy won't play with me"
Jason added, "That's not fair,I'm gonna take my ball and go home."
Come on IT WAS NOT YOUR CONCERN. Stick to council business. Quit crying. Next election I'm going beyond not voting for you I'm going to help anyone running against you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#11 Jun 16, 2011
I understand that Fischer might be sympathetic to what Mayes is dealing with at this time, but Fischer needs to back off. The junk yard dog approach isnt working, and needs to realize that she isnt going to be the first one to know on a lot of things and needs to drop it. I think that the Farmington city counsel has been dealing with this situation in a very professional manner, but to ram rod why Tom Roberts handled the info the way he did is irrelevent. All parties did the best they could with what happened and are dealing with it the best way they know how. This sort of thing doesnt happen every day.
Mark

United States

#12 Jun 16, 2011
What B.S. the people that run our city are jokes.Rob Mayes needs to resign now or the city council needs to get him out of office.
Otis

Placitas, NM

#13 Jun 16, 2011
Fischer and Sandel are correct. Any incident of this magnitude that involves key city executives demands total cooperation. Even if that means that the Mayor calls a special meeting to tell everyone to STFU and that he would be the only contact for the press. To not to sit down with all the council to coordinate shows lack of understanding and leadership. Had he called the council together and said something like "Look, let's agree that there will be one contact and one spokesperson so we don't look like a bunch of Mayberry chumps" he would most likely have gotten agreement. Now he manages to stir up one more damned issue that could have been avoided with real leadership.
just a normal person

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jun 16, 2011
Just Fischer and Sandel trying to make themselves look good in a political light every despicable chance possible. This is a personnal matter for Mayes and a criminal matter for his son. Leave Mayes alone for now and send his son to prison, the rest of the investigations can come later. If this had been some random employee they wouldn't have even batted and eye. Also NMMI is alot harder punishment than our ridicules justice system and it is accepted as punishment all the time, but that is now irrelevant.

At least let the dust settle before pushing you political agenda. I hate politics, you should be ashamed. Let a father deal and grieve with the situation at hand.
This is stupid

United States

#15 Jun 16, 2011
I'm really getting VERY TIRED of the poor Rob Mayes attitude here. He's not in trouble his kid is. Let's think for a minute here, Mayes doesn't have a funeral to plan or attend the Nordstroms do. Looks like Mayes can't be bothered to attend his kids court appearances so he doesn't need time off for that. They are trying to get a public defended so doesn't appear Mayes needs time off to meet with attorneys etc. So why exactly does he need all this time off??? What's he going to do? Play golf? Go to a movie? I mean if it was any one else we would be expected to do our jobs and leave our personal lives at home. Why does he get all the special attention??? Let's be more concerned about the victims family than the murderer's family. I mean I do know it's a terrible time but wow let's not make them the victims and forget about the TRUE victims here. If Mayes can't function and do his job the he better step down. Anyone one else would be held to that.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#16 Jun 16, 2011
Otis wrote:
Fischer and Sandel are correct. Any incident of this magnitude that involves key city executives demands total cooperation. Even if that means that the Mayor calls a special meeting to tell everyone to STFU and that he would be the only contact for the press. To not to sit down with all the council to coordinate shows lack of understanding and leadership. Had he called the council together and said something like "Look, let's agree that there will be one contact and one spokesperson so we don't look like a bunch of Mayberry chumps" he would most likely have gotten agreement. Now he manages to stir up one more damned issue that could have been avoided with real leadership.
agreed...and he could have prevented Fischer from crying like a baby.
Say What

San Fidel, NM

#17 Jun 16, 2011
A lot of folks go around here bashing Mayes, and I've never understood why. I've met the man, on several occasions, through my past job, I've always found him to be the kind of person that is trying to do the best for the city and it's citizens.
Fischer and Darnell do not hold any type of position that requires them to be "in the loop".
I don't in any way see how this should affect his employment. Mayes and his family are going through a tough time. I support the Mayes family and I wish them the fortitude to overcome this.
I think the city is well ran, with just the right mix of city services and responsible budgeting. Mayes is the head of this organization, and deserves some of the credit for running a tight ship.
I think there are a lot of folks in the "silent majority" that agree with me.
Rob Mayes, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
I sure wish we could do something about Fischer and Sandel. If there are potential candidates out there, I'm watching, and stand ready to donate money and time.
And kudos to Dan Darnell for being a reasonable voice in this matter. Mr. Darnell, you are appreciated.
Dr Who

Bloomfield, NM

#18 Jun 16, 2011
I agree
Otis wrote:
johnny

Broomfield, CO

#19 Jun 16, 2011
Fischer and Sandel are out of line, but you must remember that while Darnell & McCullough represent the citizens of Farmington, Sandel is representing the wealthy non intellectuals and Fischer is representing the impoverised non intellectuals
GraceJones

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jun 16, 2011
Say What wrote:
A lot of folks go around here bashing Mayes, and I've never understood why. I've met the man, on several occasions, through my past job, I've always found him to be the kind of person that is trying to do the best for the city and it's citizens.
Fischer and Darnell do not hold any type of position that requires them to be "in the loop".
I don't in any way see how this should affect his employment. Mayes and his family are going through a tough time. I support the Mayes family and I wish them the fortitude to overcome this.
I think the city is well ran, with just the right mix of city services and responsible budgeting. Mayes is the head of this organization, and deserves some of the credit for running a tight ship.
I think there are a lot of folks in the "silent majority" that agree with me.
Rob Mayes, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
I sure wish we could do something about Fischer and Sandel. If there are potential candidates out there, I'm watching, and stand ready to donate money and time.
And kudos to Dan Darnell for being a reasonable voice in this matter. Mr. Darnell, you are appreciated.
I find it comforting in a way that Roberts did not share every detail with the council members. If I were being investigated for something I would hope that every one in the city would not know the intimate details of my case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) 28 min 176 days remaining 620
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 3 hr juan 6,880
Kirtland Music Selection (Aug '12) Mon Musikologist 15
Interest in Pro Wrestling in Farmington? Jul 20 TryHarder 6
Looking for Good DWI Attorney in Farmington N.M. Jul 14 I see now 4
News New detox center to open in Farmington Jul 7 Osama 7
Worse place I've ever lived (May '15) Jul 5 Herb 62

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages