Scorps claim city bragging rights, Pi...

Scorps claim city bragging rights, Piedra Vista's district season ends on low note

There are 40 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Oct 30, 2010, titled Scorps claim city bragging rights, Piedra Vista's district season ends on low note. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Hutchison Stadium played the perfect host to the cross-town rivalry between the Farmington High and Piedra Vista football teams.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marissa

Florence, AL

#1 Oct 30, 2010
Great Game Scorps! What a crowd!! FHS gets the spirit stick.
Jaysen

Scottsdale, AZ

#2 Oct 30, 2010
It's been awhile!
FHS supporter

United States

#3 Oct 30, 2010
What a great game! The school spirit was tremendous. FHS is the district leader both in sports and academics. HIghest graduation rate. Highest ACT scores, English Expo district champs, Knowledge Bowl district Champs, Science Olympiad district Champs, the only school in the district to have an National Merit Scholar finalist. I think FHS has beat PV in almost every academic competition out there. What a great school! I'm proud of all the students and faculty!
Freud

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 30, 2010
FHS supporter wrote:
What a great game! The school spirit was tremendous. FHS is the district leader both in sports and academics. HIghest graduation rate. Highest ACT scores, English Expo district champs, Knowledge Bowl district Champs, Science Olympiad district Champs, the only school in the district to have an National Merit Scholar finalist. I think FHS has beat PV in almost every academic competition out there. What a great school! I'm proud of all the students and faculty!
I see the therapy for your inferiority complex isn't working. The first step to recovery is accepting that you have a problem. Maybe the "best counseling department" at FHS could help you.
4-corners

Muscle Shoals, AL

#5 Oct 30, 2010
Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the therapy for your inferiority complex isn't working. The first step to recovery is accepting that you have a problem. Maybe the "best counseling department" at FHS could help you.
I agree, that was "WEAK"
Blue Roan

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 Oct 30, 2010
PV still has the best baseball, and that is what counts.
FHS grad

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 Oct 30, 2010
So what is the surprise, Piedra Vista is the only high school in the State that does not have their own football field to play on.

Farmington High is the only high school in the State that has 2 teachers on the payroll that were arrested for feeding high school students alcohol.

And Janel Ryan has $50,000,000 to spend as she wishes supposedly for a new Middle School hat was not even mentioned on the ballet.

Three losers, all the way around.
Scorp

Huntsville, AL

#8 Oct 31, 2010
Blue Roan wrote:
PV still has the best baseball, and that is what counts.
To bad you wouldn't have anything if are coaches were not traitors. Also I'm pretty sure football is much more popular than baseball. So you can just go to your GSA meeting you PV homo.
bleeden blue

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Oct 31, 2010
don't be a crybaby,skunk scorp whatever.The district has to provide $ for a football field ya idiot-is Janel Ryan your mother??
Time4Change

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Oct 31, 2010
PV has not improved the last 3 years. It is time for a change! Offense is horrible any time they play someone of significance and the defense has been bad for the past 3-4 years. And I won't even mention special teams. Something has to give....

They just aren't very good, for whatever reason and it has been constant the past 3-4 years, so when that happens, you usually only need to look one place and that is with their coaches. Probably time to clean house and start over.
GOODPOINT

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Nov 1, 2010
FHS supporter wrote:
These are all very good reasons to be proud of the school!
Spach

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Nov 1, 2010
PV Football should be better than it is. I agree with a previous post about a time for change. They play with no heart or desire. The offense is very predictable. The QB has a canon and he makes the wrong read nearly every play. The linemen are lazy and weak. The defensive line plays the "block myself technique". The Linebackers make slow reads and get zoned off every time there is a misdirection play almost like a YAFL player looking in the backfield. The defensive backs get burned even when they see the ball in the air. The players are young every year. There is always alot to build for next year and it never returns.

I think it is definitely time to take a look at what made the program successful in the past. FHS has no tradition and they went out and hired a coach that is a winner. Aztec went out and hired a winner. PVHS went out and found some winners for the baseball program. Why don't they go out and find some winners for the football program? Watching the game on Friday, PVHS has the same if not better athletes than PVHS. The difference is that FHS has heart. They play hard.

I guess I don't really care because they get beat by my scorps but it is confusing how PV has tried to become competitive in basketball with a fire and a hire and then in baseball with the replacement they chose. Do they not care about football in the front office over there?
I hear

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Nov 1, 2010
I heard that many people are discouraged by the amount of times PV demands. Is it true that PV is expected to go in on Saturdays? How long after school do they practice? Before school?
bleedin blue

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Nov 3, 2010
they have to go watch film on sat none before school but usually till 6 mon thru fr. Last year Coach Howell said in front of his team,,,"Some years, you just don't have the personnel" WTF in front of your players who dont understand and don't have the life experience yet to put that into context????No wonder they have no heart...gotta practice what yu preach and vice versa....just feel bad for the boys makes us all want to move to Aztec!!!
Willie

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 3, 2010
Time4Change wrote:
PV has not improved the last 3 years. It is time for a change! Offense is horrible any time they play someone of significance and the defense has been bad for the past 3-4 years. And I won't even mention special teams. Something has to give....
They just aren't very good, for whatever reason and it has been constant the past 3-4 years, so when that happens, you usually only need to look one place and that is with their coaches. Probably time to clean house and start over.
Probably because PE teachers don't make good coaches.
reasonable

Rio Rancho, NM

#16 Nov 3, 2010
Practice till six sound reasonable, but Saturdays should belong to the kids and families. Saturday game film = bad practice.
bleedin blue

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Nov 4, 2010
agreed
bluerer

Farmington, NM

#18 Nov 4, 2010
Scorp wrote:
<quoted text>
To bad you wouldn't have anything if are coaches were not traitors. Also I'm pretty sure football is much more popular than baseball. So you can just go to your GSA meeting you PV ****.
yep, your a scorp alright. I think the proper way to spell it would be "OUR coaches" not "ARE coaches". I don't blame you. Who knows what the teachers at FHS are giving you? We all know what they were giving OUR (not ARE) kids.
PV Sports Fan

Chandler, AZ

#19 Nov 4, 2010
Saturday film days have been going on for a while. When I played at FHS we used to go in on Saturdays and watch film. If you want to get better and excel in the program you have to involve your whole self not just part of it. I played for Coach Howell, Whalen and Shay and the coaching staff is very good. Some years are better than others. My brother and cousin played for this coaching staff and those teams went to the playoffs every year. Everyone always wants a change when things are not going our way. What you have to remember about change is that it takes 2-3 years for the program to come to the top again. High school sports is all about the student athletes. They are the ones that make it click. If you have guys transferring out of the program or deciding to focus on one sport then you lose very talented athletes. There should be no reason that a student athlete in high school cannot play football, basketball, baseball, track, golf, whatever in the same year. I coach football and baseball and encourage our kids to play multiple sports, it teachs them good life lessons and good competition.
bluerer

Farmington, NM

#20 Nov 4, 2010
PV Sports Fan wrote:
Saturday film days have been going on for a while. When I played at FHS we used to go in on Saturdays and watch film. If you want to get better and excel in the program you have to involve your whole self not just part of it. I played for Coach Howell, Whalen and Shay and the coaching staff is very good. Some years are better than others. My brother and cousin played for this coaching staff and those teams went to the playoffs every year. Everyone always wants a change when things are not going our way. What you have to remember about change is that it takes 2-3 years for the program to come to the top again. High school sports is all about the student athletes. They are the ones that make it click. If you have guys transferring out of the program or deciding to focus on one sport then you lose very talented athletes. There should be no reason that a student athlete in high school cannot play football, basketball, baseball, track, golf, whatever in the same year. I coach football and baseball and encourage our kids to play multiple sports, it teachs them good life lessons and good competition.
You don't coach baseball at PVHS. You are obviously a Shay. Coaching YAFL and little league doesn't count.

The fact that you say talented kids leaving the program is causing losses is a mistake. Losses cause programs to lose kids. If FHS starts losing a bunch of games in baseball, they will lose kids to the skate park or the guitar hero or whatever. Until then, that program will always have its pick of the litter at that school. At PVHS, the best basketball and baseball players are also playing football. They are still not winning key games. what gives?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Young male drowns in Farmington Lake (Aug '08) 7 hr Tim 36
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) 7 hr Tim 729
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) 7 hr Tim 54
News New domestic violence hotline helps Native Amer... 7 hr Tim 4
Money grubbing City Gubbmint 7 hr Tim 6
Jim Bourke RC Groups Slander Bullying (Dec '08) May 30 lje4357 49
News Ka-Boom! Police learn about explosives by deton... May '17 Tad Askew 2

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance