National Guard unit moves to Farmington

National Guard unit moves to Farmington

There are 24 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Oct 7, 2008, titled National Guard unit moves to Farmington. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

A new military police battalion is headed for Farmington, creating nearly 150 new part-time jobs and more relief if a disaster strikes the Four Corners area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Your Mom

Passau, Germany

#1 Oct 8, 2008
Big Brother is watching you and the natural gas fields. The time is coming.
One large event and ping! Freedom's gone, but we all just want to be safe...right??? We don't need this large pile of bull puckey in Farmington. There are enough responsible people with guns to take care of any problem in SJC. Why do we need to federal government? Second amendment anyone?
Hand

United States

#2 Oct 8, 2008
They are here to protect the gas fields for the Feddies. Time to gun up brothers and sisters...
Willie

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Oct 8, 2008
Get ready for martial law folks.

“Just Us for All”

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 8, 2008
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

“Did I really just say that?”

Currently, Farmington, NM

#5 Oct 8, 2008
Jodgy O wrote:
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
I dunno... it sounds a little bit odd. We are not prone to natural disasters in this area. Wouldn't it make more sense to have these military police stationed somewhere a little closer to where they would be needed?

“Just Us for All”

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Oct 8, 2008
Just_a_Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno... it sounds a little bit odd. We are not prone to natural disasters in this area. Wouldn't it make more sense to have these military police stationed somewhere a little closer to where they would be needed?
OK, I was being flippant.

However, we do have a very large resevoir upstream from both Bloomfield and Farmington. We do have two major power plants and a major mining operation. We are sitting, according to geologists, on the largest natural gas field in the world. We have the largest medical complex in the immediate area. And, we are in an area that sees seismic activity occasionally.

If anything happened to any one of those assets, be it natural or caused by human activity, we would REALLY appreciate having the NMNG able to respond.

Martial law has to be declared by the GOVERNMENT and only under certain exigent circumstances. The military, Active, Reserve or NG, can only be utilized as civilian law enforcers under the Posse Comitatus Act: The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the United States National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act.

This "alarm" is much ado over nothing so far as I am concerned.

“Just my opinion, not to offend”

USA

#7 Oct 8, 2008
Jodgy O wrote:
<quoted text>
However, we do have a very large resevoir upstream from both Bloomfield and Farmington. We do have two major power plants and a major mining operation. We are sitting, according to geologists, on the largest natural gas field in the world. We have the largest medical complex in the immediate area. And, we are in an area that sees seismic activity occasionally.
If anything happened to any one of those assets, be it natural or caused by human activity, we would REALLY appreciate having the NMNG able to respond.
Martial law has to be declared by the GOVERNMENT and only under certain exigent circumstances. The military, Active, Reserve or NG, can only be utilized as civilian law enforcers under the Posse Comitatus Act: The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the United States National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act.
finally words of wisdom, Cmon people why are we so afraid of everything?
uKnoMe

Ganado, AZ

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Two Military Police companies here in Farmington to police the civilian population and disasters. We do have more crimes and racism here in Totahville. They were here during the Riot of 1974.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

#9 Oct 8, 2008
Jodgy O wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right. When I was in the Air Force, I was surprised to find out that the Four Corners was high on the strategic target list for Russia because of the power plants.

Instead of panic and fear, let's welcome our fellow Americans. If society does actually completely collapse, God Forbid!, we will all feel much better to have them around.

Welcome to Farmington, brave men and women of the Guard.

I think you'll like it here. Plenty of water, the biggest single-entity farm in the world, no hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes, no tsunamis, too small for terrorists to bother with, plenty of oil and gas...

Heck...if the world does collapse, we'll just raise our own flag and go on with business!

LOL!: D

#10 Oct 8, 2008
Saint_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right. When I was in the Air Force, I was surprised to find out that the Four Corners was high on the strategic target list for Russia because of the power plants.
Instead of panic and fear, let's welcome our fellow Americans. If society does actually completely collapse, God Forbid!, we will all feel much better to have them around.
Welcome to Farmington, brave men and women of the Guard.
I think you'll like it here. Plenty of water, the biggest single-entity farm in the world, no hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes, no tsunamis, too small for terrorists to bother with, plenty of oil and gas...
Heck...if the world does collapse, we'll just raise our own flag and go on with business!
LOL!: D
I do appreciate the National Guard, and I support the men and women who are in the guard. My point is that natural disasters are very rare here. Compared to oh, say the gulf states or California or Kansas... or just about anywhere else. We are, however, a strategic terrorist target.
Does the addition of more guardsmen coincide with something we do not know? Like intelligence regarding terrorist threats?

Really... I'm not a conspiracy nut.

“Polymath”

Since: Jul 08

Farmington

#11 Oct 8, 2008
Hmmm...Who knows? I thought I saw something about more national Guard units being sent to lots of cities around the U.S.

Maybe the economic crisis is worse than they are telling us and they are worried about anarchy?

I hope I'm not being paranoid.

“Just Us for All”

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Oct 8, 2008
Just_a_Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
I do appreciate the National Guard, and I support the men and women who are in the guard. My point is that natural disasters are very rare here. Compared to oh, say the gulf states or California or Kansas... or just about anywhere else. We are, however, a strategic terrorist target.
Does the addition of more guardsmen coincide with something we do not know? Like intelligence regarding terrorist threats?
Really... I'm not a conspiracy nut.
I'm not a conspiracy nut, either, but 9/11 still comes to mind, doesn't it?

If both power plants were knocked off the grid, what would happen in CA?

If Navajo Dam collapsed, what would happen to industry, residential area, the largest farming operation in the world?

I don't know if the military/GOVERNMENT has any intelligence of a direct threat...probably not. However, preparation doesn't hurt. Just because it hasn't happened here doesn't mean it can't happen here.

#13 Oct 8, 2008
Jodgy O wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a conspiracy nut, either, but 9/11 still comes to mind, doesn't it?
If both power plants were knocked off the grid, what would happen in CA?
If Navajo Dam collapsed, what would happen to industry, residential area, the largest farming operation in the world?
I don't know if the military/GOVERNMENT has any intelligence of a direct threat...probably not. However, preparation doesn't hurt. Just because it hasn't happened here doesn't mean it can't happen here.
Lots of stuff comes to mind... stock market tumbling, home prices continue to fall, global markets are hurting, there are already food shortages in countries that are not third world, our nation is at war abroad, the vast majority of Americans are not too thrilled with our government right now.

I'm a little concerned. I'd rather see trouble coming than stick my head in the sand.
Be careful

Lakewood, OH

#14 Oct 8, 2008
Chinese troops will follow the codes on highway signs to attack our infrastructure...
uKnoMe

Ganado, AZ

#15 Oct 8, 2008
Great!...more fear factors being imposed....
Your Mom

Passau, Germany

#16 Oct 8, 2008
Fear is a figment of our imaginations, as well as power and control.

Why are the members of the NG to be posted is Farmington MP's? Why are National Guard troops being placed everywhere across the US. Why is the economy going to poopskies? Since when is the technology advanced enough to track every movement of every citizen in society? It all sounds like a plan for logically thinking citizes to willingly sacrifice their freedom.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am a realist. Too many people in the world, not enough resources. The time will soon come, for it must, but I fear not, for if I fear I will concede. If I concede, then the end is not near, it is here.

There is no need for MP's in Farmington. No discussion needed
Harvey

Norwalk, CA

#17 Oct 8, 2008
Time to circle the wagons.
a little coffee please

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Oct 8, 2008
Maybe they are being brought here for the simple reason we don't really have to be worried about natural disasters. If some natural disaster happens someplace then chances are we won't be affected,therefore the troops will be in tact and ready to head out.

“Lets Play Nice, Kids.”

San Juan County, New Mexico

#19 Oct 8, 2008
Has anyone else considered that we have an airport that is hardly being used for public transportation, but is likely to be useful for NG transport issues? PLUS, SJC is running a pretty successful police officer training program which is likely to be a great place to recruit MP's from? Plus, if you have a degree, you can enlist at a higher rank than without. This might be a great option for the officer recruits to consider, even as a part-time option.

These might be some of the unspoken benefits of moving an MP unit in here.

“Game - Tasty and Renewable”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#20 Oct 9, 2008
How about this? There was a NG or USAR unit in Farmington when I left in '84. What happened to that unit? Perhaps they are moving back because the region gives them an excellent desert training area? Perhaps they are moving in because the City Council actually thought about something worthwhile? Perhaps because the buildings were already there, and they got a good deal?

Jeez, folks, let it go and be happy for the extra jobs and the extra income brought in by the soldiers and families that will move there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... (Apr '14) Feb 13 Maybe 719
News Sites offer kids free lunch at parks (Jun '11) Feb 10 Peacemaker 59
News Protesters gather outside circus in Farmington Feb 9 whooosh 1
News Ruidoso teacher pleads no contest to charges - ... (Jul '11) Feb 2 Karma 59
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Feb 1 Gwyen 7,122
Jim Bourke RC Groups Slander Bullying (Dec '08) Feb 1 lje4357 46
News Despite few gangs, Aztec joins lesson (Dec '10) Jan 27 Sur s1d3 37

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages