Middle School Teachers

Posted in the Farmington Forum

wanna know

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Oct 21, 2012
We are moving to Farmington and have 2 kids who are in middle school.
Since we don't know anyone in Farmington, we need to know which middle school teachers are the best and which are ones we need to avoid.
raelynn

Cape Girardeau, MO

#2 Oct 21, 2012
Mr. V is awesome!! He's the iss teacher. Buts he's great once you get to know him. I don't remember any of the other teachers.
I am Well Informed

Farmington, MO

#3 Oct 22, 2012
Keep your kids out of the Integrated Studies program. Boy it sounds good on paper, but a couple of the teachers are absolutely horrid. When my child's grade depends upon the ability and motivation of others on their team, doesn't set well with me.

My kiddo's grades dropped dramatically last year...the teachers don't use text books, they type out the information and the social studies information was so disjointed and scattered in thought, that it was impossible to learn. In my child's Integrated Studies class, under the direction of one particular teacher who had never taught the subject of social studies before...20% of the class, overall, failed the class. Did they do anything about it? No...attempts to speak with teacher and principal all year went without result.

Also, prepare your child to rush from class to class. They do not use class bells in the middle school, because in the words of the principal, and I quote, "Life isn't centered on bells. There's only a few cases where bells are used. Church and Prison and we think it's best at this age for them to learn personal responsibility for getting to class on time." Yes, this was a conversation I had with the principal. Hmmm, what about school bells? Anyone heard of those?

Each teacher is responsible for purchasing their classroom clock and setting that clock...they are also responsible for looking at that clock and letting the kids out on time so they can make it to their next class. Let's just say there are a lot of tardy punishment given out and it is very unjustified.

Overall Farmington is a great school district, but Middle School, some of the toughest times in a kid's life, is the district's worst school.
Anchored

United States

#5 Oct 29, 2012
I am Well Informed wrote:
Keep your kids out of the Integrated Studies program. Boy it sounds good on paper, but a couple of the teachers are absolutely horrid. When my child's grade depends upon the ability and motivation of others on their team, doesn't set well with me.

My kiddo's grades dropped dramatically last year...the teachers don't use text books, they type out the information and the social studies information was so disjointed and scattered in thought, that it was impossible to learn. In my child's Integrated Studies class, under the direction of one particular teacher who had never taught the subject of social studies before...20% of the class, overall, failed the class. Did they do anything about it? No...attempts to speak with teacher and principal all year went without result.

Also, prepare your child to rush from class to class. They do not use class bells in the middle school, because in the words of the principal, and I quote, "Life isn't centered on bells. There's only a few cases where bells are used. Church and Prison and we think it's best at this age for them to learn personal responsibility for getting to class on time." Yes, this was a conversation I had with the principal. Hmmm, what about school bells? Anyone heard of those?

Each teacher is responsible for purchasing their classroom clock and setting that clock...they are also responsible for looking at that clock and letting the kids out on time so they can make it to their next class. Let's just say there are a lot of tardy punishment given out and it is very unjustified.

Overall Farmington is a great school district, but Middle School, some of the toughest times in a kid's life, is the district's worst school.
I attend the Farmington Middle School. There's two I.S teams, if you didn't know. Theres one for 7th and 8th grade, and one that you go into in 7th grade, and your automatically put into it in 8th. I'm on one of those I.S teams, and I personally love it. We get packets to work on with our table, and If you don't get along with someone at your table, you go up to the teacher and they will talk to you and your table and attempt to fix the problem. The work does get a little confusing sometime, but once you learn to manage your time, it gets easier. We've had 3 social studies, and science tests this year, and they were a page long. 2 times they let us use our social studies notes. If we don't get a good grade, then she let's us redo them. The redo's are easier. Unless my teachers don't tell me about my tardies, I don't get them. I don't know what I.S team your talking about, but I'm in the eighth grade, and I like the I.S team i'm in. Thanks for taking your time to read this, and hope there's no hard feelings.
lalala

Park Hills, MO

#6 Oct 29, 2012
Anchored wrote:
<quoted text>I attend the Farmington Middle School. There's two I.S teams, if you didn't know. Theres one for 7th and 8th grade, and one that you go into in 7th grade, and your automatically put into it in 8th. I'm on one of those I.S teams, and I personally love it. We get packets to work on with our table, and If you don't get along with someone at your table, you go up to the teacher and they will talk to you and your table and attempt to fix the problem. The work does get a little confusing sometime, but once you learn to manage your time, it gets easier. We've had 3 social studies, and science tests this year, and they were a page long. 2 times they let us use our social studies notes. If we don't get a good grade, then she let's us redo them. The redo's are easier. Unless my teachers don't tell me about my tardies, I don't get them. I don't know what I.S team your talking about, but I'm in the eighth grade, and I like the I.S team i'm in. Thanks for taking your time to read this, and hope there's no hard feelings.
I read through all of this and while it sounds good now, here's the problem- in college you are motivating yourself, and there is virtually no group work, unless you're going into teaching. Of course they're are projects but for normal run of the mill studying and test taking you are on your own. Secondly, there are no "redo's". If you fail a test you're done for the class, since you only have 2 or 3 grades a semester. I know it seems like fun or it may be working to you, but I think once you get older you'll realize it truly sets you back and is heavily flawed. There is a reason the middle school is hands down the worst school in the whole district based on test scores and can't make AYP- the principal and teachers haven't a clue how to handle your age group's abilities.
- from a high school/college student
Anchored

United States

#7 Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, but if the work is hard now, wouldn't it be preparing us for high school? My teachers daughter is making straight A's and she's a freshman.
JJC

United States

#8 Oct 31, 2012
Anchored, well written for a middle school student and also good job at keeping a positive attitude when the adults on here are not. Well done.
Anchored

United States

#9 Nov 1, 2012
JJC wrote:
Anchored, well written for a middle school student and also good job at keeping a positive attitude when the adults on here are not. Well done.
Thank you, that means a lot.
Gym Rat

United States

#10 Nov 2, 2012
My daughter was on the IS team last year and there were some growing pains as she learned to study and work to the higher standards. I was not happy with her grades at first, but in the long run ms grades don't matter--what mattered is that she learned how to work with others (very important life skill), study for difficult tests and organize her time. And I know she got to retake several tests. It's not for everyone but it sounds like it was great for my daughter and the above mentioned student.
Staff

United States

#11 Apr 8, 2013
From what I've seen of the IS program at Middle School is some of these kiddo seem to think they are somehow better than others by being in Integrated classes. Where in the real world does someone get to redo/retake Life. It's ridiculous.
And discipline can be inconsistent. If a parent calls Dr Winslow and complains about a punishment that has been given, she overrides the assistant principal and takes the punishment away. The staff is so fed up with it except the ones who kiss her ass every day and get their way also. It's sickening.
dan

Higden, AR

#12 Aug 9, 2013
Mrs. Lankford, Mrs. Giessing, Mrs. Davis. Mrs. Asher.
All good teachers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jessica snethern 4 hr answers 5
murder at pickle springs in missouri 11 hr pistolpackinmomma83 1
crystal cook 18 hr Curious 2
booty call 23 hr WellIinformed 4
Carrie hall? Thu carrie hall 4
the music thread (Mar '12) Thu Musikologist 30
Twomey HVAC Dec 23 CuriousCat 1
Farmington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web