Gas price rise may thwart economic re...

Gas price rise may thwart economic recovery

There are 10 comments on the Detroit News story from Dec 30, 2010, titled Gas price rise may thwart economic recovery. In it, Detroit News reports that:

Gas prices are spiking again, setting off new fears for the economy even as it heads toward recovery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

Tony

Sterling Heights, MI

#1 Dec 30, 2010
We have been pushed up to feel content with $3 gas now. People began to react heavily at $4 last time and that was a short spike. They parked cars and gave away SUVs and pick-ups to trade for something smaller. Some dealers would not even accept a large vehicle in trade. The prices they were offering were outlandish. As I say, some just refused to deal up front. Everything that moves goes up in cost when gas goes up. If OPEC can force $150/bbl oil, the world economy is in jeopardy. The oil cartel does not seem to act reasonably so these prices will likely happen and the world will adjust. I can only hope somebody comes up with a viable solution that makes oil worth more like $30/bbl or less. Let them eat sand I say.
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#2 Dec 30, 2010
It only thwarts the pockets of the oil companies. With a 600 billion plus yearly profit, they are simply telling us they can do what they want and we have to like it.

If people truly want government intervention, then intervene on the price of gas and the ridiculous profits. They won't because they benefit from the oil companies. They're all crooked.
Xanadu

Mancelona, MI

#3 Dec 31, 2010
Talk about gas reaching 5.00/gal. is a brainwashing method.....we know it will come to be, they're just inching their way to that price.

Same thing when 'maybe' freeze warnings near citrus groves......the idea is formed: higher prices on oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, etc.

Same tactic.....brainwashing. That's our D.C. folks for ya'.
Edx

White Lake, MI

#4 Dec 31, 2010
They tested the waters and prepared us by provoking outrage at $4/gallon. We had been pissed at $3 so they pushed it to $4 to generate outrage. Then they dropped it back down and everyone settled down. Now it is above $3 again and nobody's throwing a fit yet.

They have successfully moved "the window" of what people find outrageous and unacceptable. They have changed what people will accept.

Next they'll use $5 to make $4 seem okay and acceptable.

Glenn Beck called this the "Overton Window" and exemplified it in his book of the same name. While the book was a work of fiction, the representation of what corporations do is still accurate.

We have, as a society, had our window moved.
Tony

Sterling Heights, MI

#5 Dec 31, 2010
Edx wrote:
They tested the waters and prepared us by provoking outrage at $4/gallon. We had been pissed at $3 so they pushed it to $4 to generate outrage. Then they dropped it back down and everyone settled down. Now it is above $3 again and nobody's throwing a fit yet.
They have successfully moved "the window" of what people find outrageous and unacceptable. They have changed what people will accept.
Next they'll use $5 to make $4 seem okay and acceptable.
Glenn Beck called this the "Overton Window" and exemplified it in his book of the same name. While the book was a work of fiction, the representation of what corporations do is still accurate.
We have, as a society, had our window moved.
The cute little story you tell is unfortunately true.
We're going to get there sooner or later. Obama has said we need $5 gas to help go green. The only caveat on any politician's mind is getting there without killing the golden goose, the economy. Same for the auto manufacturers. William Clay Jr. said his goal was to sell tiny cars to people at SUV prices. If the system dictated $5 gas, he could achieve his wish and make lots of profit. People went right back to purchasing trucks and SUVs in 2010, forgetting all about the $4/gal peak we experienced. I bet this makes the manufacturers orgasmic because they know $4 gas will make people shift to those $35K tin cans in droves.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 31, 2010
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
The cute little story you tell is unfortunately true.
We're going to get there sooner or later. Obama has said we need $5 gas to help go green. The only caveat on any politician's mind is getting there without killing the golden goose, the economy. Same for the auto manufacturers. William Clay Jr. said his goal was to sell tiny cars to people at SUV prices. If the system dictated $5 gas, he could achieve his wish and make lots of profit. People went right back to purchasing trucks and SUVs in 2010, forgetting all about the $4/gal peak we experienced. I bet this makes the manufacturers orgasmic because they know $4 gas will make people shift to those $35K tin cans in droves.
That's true, that's very true...

Not to mention that those very same high gas prices will be the nail-in-the-coffin for all those Farm Trucks the domestics have been selling lately...

and as we continue to hear the whine for increased profit sharing from that communist party uaw who continues to hold the auto Industry and taxpayers hostage with their own self-proclaimed "Entitlements".

What a joke.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Jan 1, 2011
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true, that's very true...
Not to mention that those very same high gas prices will be the nail-in-the-coffin for all those Farm Trucks the domestics have been selling lately...
and as we continue to hear the whine for increased profit sharing from that communist party uaw who continues to hold the auto Industry and taxpayers hostage with their own self-proclaimed "Entitlements".
What a joke.
"As soon as I found out about the Leaf, I forgot about the Volt. The Volt wasn't going to project the image I wanted. It has a tailpipe."
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/...
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#8 Jan 1, 2011
bronck burger

Fair Lawn, NJ

#9 Jan 1, 2011
GAS PRICES GOING BACK-UP. TIME TO KEEP THE MONEY IN THE POCKET AGAIN. HOPEFULLY all AMERICANS WILL DO THE SAME.
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#10 Jan 1, 2011
Government Foe wrote:
WHY DO YOU FIND IT NECESSARY TO YELL?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clients accuse massage therapist of molestation (Sep '07) 14 hr naw 23
News Warrant denied after utility worker shoots dog Wed WATCHING LIVONIA 2
Sgt. David Kutek retired Redford police arreste... (Nov '11) Aug 7 Richard Laskowski 67
chicagos mayor raum emanuelsays not to use poli... Aug 7 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
Any1 hate working @ Meijer? (Feb '11) Aug 6 Still Tom Joad 232
News This worker built houses with Jimmy Carter Aug 2 60s scoop 9
News Wayne Co. manager in business with county vendor Jul 29 WATCHING LIVONIA 1

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages