students living in county, voting in ...

students living in county, voting in city

Posted in the Farmington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
theo

Albany, GA

#1 Jul 5, 2012
Is this even legal? I've seen and heard folks talking about voting even though they live in the county, but since they're students, they registered to vote in town.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 5, 2012
theo wrote:
Is this even legal? I've seen and heard folks talking about voting even though they live in the county, but since they're students, they registered to vote in town.
The law in Kentucky is pretty vague. Basically anyone who claims residence at an address for 30 days can register to vote in the jurisdiction of that address. If they spend most of their time at that address but spend their summers somewhere else, or even regard that address as "where they go home to" if they don't, then they can vote from there.

Such loose standards have held up when, for instance, people who spend most of their time in an RV have registered to vote in someplace they designate as their "home base". So there is naturally a lot of latitude regarding semi-transient populations such as RVers or college students or members of the military or those having a travel-centric occupation. Basically, as long as you are not registered somewhere else, or own a home you claim as a principal residence somewhere else, it is hard to otherwise invalidate.
told ya so

Murray, KY

#3 Jul 5, 2012
And you guys thought sticking them with a city sticker would go by quietly! They have been having their own private agenda in regards to this vote and trust me if they aren't here that day voting, they will be casting absentee ballots.
theo

Albany, GA

#4 Jul 5, 2012
Anonymous Keyboard Tapper wrote:
<quoted text>The law in Kentucky is pretty vague. Basically anyone who claims residence at an address for 30 days can register to vote in the jurisdiction of that address. If they spend most of their time at that address but spend their summers somewhere else, or even regard that address as "where they go home to" if they don't, then they can vote from there.

Such loose standards have held up when, for instance, people who spend most of their time in an RV have registered to vote in someplace they designate as their "home base". So there is naturally a lot of latitude regarding semi-transient populations such as RVers or college students or members of the military or those having a travel-centric occupation. Basically, as long as you are not registered somewhere else, or own a home you claim as a principal residence somewhere else, it is hard to otherwise invalidate.
What about when they're renting an apartment or house in the county? Aren't they supposed to update their info?
theo

Albany, GA

#5 Jul 5, 2012
Anonymous Keyboard Tapper wrote:
<quoted text>The law in Kentucky is pretty vague. Basically anyone who claims residence at an address for 30 days can register to vote in the jurisdiction of that address. If they spend most of their time at that address but spend their summers somewhere else, or even regard that address as "where they go home to" if they don't, then they can vote from there.

To be more clear, they have no residence in the city limits, dorm, apartment or otherwise.
Alum

Murray, KY

#6 Jul 6, 2012
Once you the geniuses on the murray city council decided that murray state students would be forced to buy city stickers, which is murray's city tax, then us students get the right to vote when taxed. No taxation without representation, kinda what this country was built on. Any student who had to buy a city sticker can vote in the election if they registered.
Student

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jul 6, 2012
I guess exercising my god given right to vote is wrong if I vote differently than you? Why don't we just let the churches run things? Oh wait, that's why our forefathers left europe for north America and ran off the Indians.
Thomas

Albany, GA

#8 Jul 6, 2012
Alum wrote:
Once you the geniuses on the murray city council decided that murray state students would be forced to buy city stickers, which is murray's city tax, then us students get the right to vote when taxed. No taxation without representation, kinda what this country was built on. Any student who had to buy a city sticker can vote in the election if they registered.
I have to buy a city sticker, but I live in the county, so I can't vote.
theo

Albany, GA

#9 Jul 6, 2012
I never said anything about which way to vote. I was just questioning the legality of voting in the city when you
live in the county. County residents aren't allowed to vote in this election. That should include everyone that lives in the county.

When you move, you're supposed to update your drivers license and voter registration.
Obama

Albany, GA

#10 Jul 6, 2012
Alum wrote:
The city sticker isn't a "tax." if having a city sticker gave you the right to vote in Murray, there'd be people from all over this region voting in Murray.
professor plum

Owensboro, KY

#11 Jul 6, 2012
theo wrote:
I never said anything about which way to vote. I was just questioning the legality of voting in the city when you
live in the county. County residents aren't allowed to vote in this election. That should include everyone that lives in the county.

When you move, you're supposed to update your drivers license and voter registration.
Only if it's permanent, and that can be a pretty grey area
common sense

Benton, KY

#12 Jul 6, 2012
Alum wrote:
You voted in the last alcohol related election without the sticker, it was way past time for you to pony up.
Big Hoss

Murray, KY

#13 Jul 6, 2012
Alum wrote:
Ummm, no. Live or work in the city you are supposed to buy a sticker. Just because you work in the city and buy one doesn't mean you get to vote in city agenda. Same for students. Just because you have to buy a sticker doesn't suddenly allow you to vote in city elections. But if you do find a loophole and can get several to join you I'm all for it. We need as many votes as we can get to help Murray grow!
Really

Murray, KY

#14 Jul 6, 2012
Went to Paducah one last time to stock up on booze. Should last me till Murray sells it off the shelves here.

Who's laughing now.
dirty hippie

Murray, KY

#15 Jul 6, 2012
Students may vote as long as they are not registered anywhere else and have lived in Murray for a certain amount of time. The only role city stickers did to students is made them whine about it for a few months. However, those same upset students plan to vote because of the city's actions.
theo

Albany, GA

#16 Jul 6, 2012
dirty hippie wrote:
Students may vote as long as they are not registered anywhere else and have lived in Murray for a certain amount of time. The only role city stickers did to students is made them whine about it for a few months. However, those same upset students plan to vote because of the city's actions.
What if they don't live in murray anymore (live outside the city limits in the county) because they moved?
wrong

Benton, KY

#17 Jul 6, 2012
Obama wrote:
<quoted text>The city sticker isn't a "tax." if having a city sticker gave you the right to vote in Murray, there'd be people from all over this region voting in Murray.
The city stickers are in place instead of having a county tax. Just because u have one on your vehicle, doesn't mean u are entitled to any perks. Just parking...;) lol
Stickey

Benton, KY

#18 Jul 6, 2012
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
The city stickers are in place instead of having a county tax. Just because u have one on your vehicle, doesn't mean u are entitled to any perks. Just parking...;) lol
I think you are WRONG wrong, they take the place of a payroll tax. That's what I've understood for 40 years.

Location hidden

#19 Jul 6, 2012
theo wrote:
<quoted text>
What if they don't live in murray anymore (live outside the city limits in the county) because they moved?
Depends on Determination of Residency:
the Law wrote:
<quoted text>
The following rules, so far as applicable, shall be observed in determining the residence of a person offering to vote:(1) A voter's residence shall be deemed to be at the place where his or her habitation is, and to which, when absent, he or she has the intention of returning; (2) A voter shall not lose his or her residence by absence for temporary purposes merely; nor shall he or she obtain a residence by being in a county or precinct for such temporary purposes, without the intention of making that county or precinct his or her home; (3) A voter shall lose his or her residence by removal to another...county with intention to make his or her permanent residence there, or by removal to and residence in another state, with intention to reside there an indefinite time, or by voting there, even though he or she may have had the intention to return to this state at some future period;
You'd have to prove (2) doesn't apply or that they voted somewhere else (3). The law seems to be more geared towards allowing people who move to vote in their new address than it is to stop people from voting where they used to live.

Location hidden

#20 Jul 6, 2012
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they are in place instead of having a CITY tax. That revenue is not for the county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Social media and women 30 min Laughing 5
What's the deal with most 40 and 50 yr old women 34 min Valera 10
Commomwealth Attorney Race 45 min Johnny Cockaroo 3
Chris Evans 1 hr Curlytop Tears 13
Taco johns let me just say!!! 2 hr Hilarious 25
Keep running your pie hole erika 3 hr Shine 25
Bullying Costs Senoir Center 3 hr yogi bear 19

Farmington Jobs

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages