Probe Underway into San Joaquin Farmw...

Probe Underway into San Joaquin Farmworker's Heat-Related Death

There are 34 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from May 23, 2008, titled Probe Underway into San Joaquin Farmworker's Heat-Related Death. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

Maria Isabel Vasquez Jimenez migrated to California last winter to help support her widowed mother in Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Malcolm

Sacramento, CA

#1 May 24, 2008
This is so sad. God bless her soul.
Julie

United States

#2 May 24, 2008
"State law says water and shade must be provided to farm workers who ask" YOU THINK ??!! next time you grab that piece of fruit/vegetable.....be grateful!
Workerbee

Placerville, CA

#3 May 24, 2008
It's sad when anyone has to die like that but this is what happens when we import foreign labor to come here and work in sub-standard conditions at slave wages just so some rich farmer can get richer. Isn't this what all of you pro-illegal immigration folks wanted? Make up you minds for Christs sake.

“The *Real* Julie”

Since: Mar 08

Sacramento

#4 May 24, 2008
Julie wrote:
"State law says water and shade must be provided to farm workers who ask" YOU THINK ??!! next time you grab that piece of fruit/vegetable.....be grateful!
I agree! How awful.
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#5 May 24, 2008
I'm waiting for all the idiots who are always bashing Mexican immigrants to once again talk their smack on this story. Yea, it's a problem here in the U.S., yea, they do take jobs away from Americans, but when it comes to working the fields to put food in our stomachs no one can handle the long hours and hard work except those immigrants. And like it or not they are part of the human race.

How come the age of 18 is sometimes referred to by reporters as being a teenager, and in other instances as an adult? Can't they make up our minds? Ha!

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#6 May 24, 2008
Prayers for this young woman and her unborn child. Tears shared with her extended family.

Blessings on those charged with investigating this unhappy event.
Justice

Elk Grove, CA

#7 May 24, 2008
Rest her soul and Bless her family!
WOODY

United States

#8 May 24, 2008
What's an "UNDOCUMENTED WORKER"? Isn't that an ILLEGAL ALIEN? And isn't it against the law to hire them? How come she was here illegally, and pregnant? Prosecute these labor contractors and employers who take advantage of these poor people to make a buck. If the laws are ENFORCED we won't have a flood of illegals entering this country.
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#9 May 24, 2008
WOODY wrote:
What's an "UNDOCUMENTED WORKER"? Isn't that an ILLEGAL ALIEN? And isn't it against the law to hire them? How come she was here illegally, and pregnant? Prosecute these labor contractors and employers who take advantage of these poor people to make a buck. If the laws are ENFORCED we won't have a flood of illegals entering this country.
Produce consumers should be held responsible. So quit eating fresh produce if you want help. You are a serious idiot! ha! You eat fresh produce right? Then its your fault too!!!!
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#11 May 24, 2008
Chad wrote:
<quoted text>
Gratefull? for what? For these farms importing millions of illegal immigrants? For the mistreatment of these illegal workers? For the loss of jobs to citizens? For the barbaric work conditions these illegals face? And for what? to save a few dollars an hour in wages? Disgracefull, im not thankfull at all. Those jobs should be done by Americans. If the jobs paid minimum wage $8.00 and had legal working conditions we wouldnt be reading this story in the news today. Racist slavetraders, like the company that staffed this woman should be jailed immediatly, this farm should be shut down. Id be willing to pay 2x as much for my fruits and vegies if I never had to see annother news story like this.
I hope you're stuck eating CANNED fruit instead. What a dipchit you are if you think produce would be 2x the amount it is now! Look FREAK, it will go up 50x the amount if we paid minimum wage for farm labor. STFU and go play on the freeways so we can be rid of your azs and make more room for decent people!
WOODY

United States

#12 May 24, 2008
Raiderfan, you're the idiot! I'm not about to quit eating fresh veggies, and I would gladly pay more for produce if it would close our borders,allow access to emergency rooms for LEGAL residents,reduce my tax burden for illegal welfare recipients and illegal food stamp recipients, and provide free tuition and other social benefits to illegals who aren't entitled to any of these things. You're nuts if you think I'd be willing to give up what I'm entitled to, to provide others with benefits they're not entitled to. If you want to do it, go right ahead sucker.
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#13 May 24, 2008
WOODY wrote:
Raiderfan, you're the idiot! I'm not about to quit eating fresh veggies, and I would gladly pay more for produce if it would close our borders,allow access to emergency rooms for LEGAL residents,reduce my tax burden for illegal welfare recipients and illegal food stamp recipients, and provide free tuition and other social benefits to illegals who aren't entitled to any of these things. You're nuts if you think I'd be willing to give up what I'm entitled to, to provide others with benefits they're not entitled to. If you want to do it, go right ahead sucker.
That is the problem with you whitey. You think you're "entitled" to everything you see. And you will stop at nothing to get it. Just look at your ancestors and what they did. You are just like them; the devil!!! ha!

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#14 May 24, 2008
Raiderfan wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you're stuck eating CANNED fruit instead. What a dipchit you are if you think produce would be 2x the amount it is now! Look FREAK, it will go up 50x the amount if we paid minimum wage for farm labor. STFU and go play on the freeways so we can be rid of your azs and make more room for decent people!
50x? Wow, that's a lot. Do you have a source for that number?
Cybil

United States

#15 May 24, 2008
Raiderfan wrote:
<quoted text>That is the problem with you whitey. You think you're "entitled" to everything you see. And you will stop at nothing to get it. Just look at your ancestors and what they did. You are just like them; the devil!!! ha!
You are so strong.
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#16 May 24, 2008
Cybil wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so strong.
And you are part of the problem. You are in denial, because if you stopped using immigrants and having them do work you are too lazy to do, there wouldn't be a problem. Face the music, you are the problem!
Davis

United States

#17 May 24, 2008
Vicente Fox wrote:
<quoted text>
50x? Wow, that's a lot. Do you have a source for that number?
Do you have a source for that number ? Now that is funny ! Do you really have to ask that question ?

Location hidden

#18 May 24, 2008
Raiderfan wrote:
I'm waiting for all the idiots who are always bashing Mexican immigrants to once again talk their smack on this story. Yea, it's a problem here in the U.S., yea, they do take jobs away from Americans, but when it comes to working the fields to put food in our stomachs no one can handle the long hours and hard work except those immigrants. And like it or not they are part of the human race.
How come the age of 18 is sometimes referred to by reporters as being a teenager, and in other instances as an adult? Can't they make up our minds? Ha!
Of course native born Americans could handle working in the fields. Or did the US not have farms before Mexicanos started migrating here to work the fields?

If wages for farm labor rose high enough, you'd get people working the fields. Americans won't do those jobs now at these wages, and these wages are low because of the supply of immigrant labor. Decrease the supply of labor, and the price of labor (i.e. wages) will rise.

My guess is that if we enforced immigration law, wages for these jobs would rise as the supply of immigrant labor decreased. That would put pricing pressure on the producers, and we'd probably start importing more produce from Mexico.

But, nobody wants to be called a racist, so we continue this retarded system where we call these people illegal even though their kids go to local schools, they get treated in ER rooms, they open bank accounts and buy houses, etc... A rational system would pick one or the other and enforce it. Either make them legal or enforce immigration law. S**t or get off the pot. But that assumes Americans are capable of being rational.
ABC SACRAMENTO

United States

#19 May 24, 2008
WOODY wrote:
WELL SAID ! AND I think Radrefan is not all there "eat canned veges and fruites ; hello THEY HAVE TO BE PICKED BEFOR THEY CAN BE CANNED.
mike

United States

#20 May 24, 2008
darn a illiegal immigrant died that breaks my heart. not really

Location hidden

#21 May 25, 2008
mike wrote:
darn a illiegal immigrant died that breaks my heart. not really
Sieg heil.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanted on 242 PC Charges Aug 25 KES 8
News Editorial, July 17, 2016: Fr. Peter Carota, 194... Jul '16 kms 5
Whats going on at Savemart?? (Aug '09) Jun '16 Bill gTes 38
Starvision Direct Cable is taking applications, Jun '16 KBS 2
Girl, 18, dark hair named Andrea on Periscope Jun '16 PersonaMystic 1
News Oakdale homeowner clearing clutter, but neighbo... (Oct '11) May '16 Your Service Prov... 2
News Pet Vet: Fleas become resistant to typical trea... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Seth Ashford 1

Farmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Farmington Mortgages