Diversity Goals cause problems for Vikings Stadium

Posted in the Faribault Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#1 Feb 10, 2013
Interesting article. "A shortage of skilled workers..."

Why would being a woman or minority mean that you are not skilled? Could it be that the Obama generation of moochers is not prepared to work?

----------

Vikings stadium: Skilled worker shortage may make diversity goals tough to meet

Associated Press
Posted: 02/09/2013 12:01:00 AM CST

Updated: 02/09/2013 10:29:15 PM CST

Officials working on the new Minnesota Vikings stadium said it might be difficult to meet certain employee-diversity goals.

The stadium legislation signed by Gov. Mark Dayton this spring included goals from the state Legislature to have minority workers make up nearly a third of the labor force and for women to be 6 percent of the workforce.

Minnesota Public Radio reported that the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority adopted the plan Friday.

Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen said a shortage of skilled workers in Minnesota will make it difficult to comply. But she said stadium officials will do their best to meet the goals without importing workers or companies, since the ultimate goal is to increase Minnesota jobs.

Stadium officials are encouraging training programs to prepare more workers for construction jobs.

http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_2255778...
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Does Redeemer know about these job opportunities? That boy can scrub a mean toilet.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#3 Feb 10, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
Interesting article. "A shortage of skilled workers..."
Why would being a woman or minority mean that you are not skilled? Could it be that the Obama generation of moochers is not prepared to work?
----------
Vikings stadium: Skilled worker shortage may make diversity goals tough to meet
Associated Press
Posted: 02/09/2013 12:01:00 AM CST
Updated: 02/09/2013 10:29:15 PM CST
Officials working on the new Minnesota Vikings stadium said it might be difficult to meet certain employee-diversity goals.
The stadium legislation signed by Gov. Mark Dayton this spring included goals from the state Legislature to have minority workers make up nearly a third of the labor force and for women to be 6 percent of the workforce.
Minnesota Public Radio reported that the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority adopted the plan Friday.
Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen said a shortage of skilled workers in Minnesota will make it difficult to comply. But she said stadium officials will do their best to meet the goals without importing workers or companies, since the ultimate goal is to increase Minnesota jobs.
Stadium officials are encouraging training programs to prepare more workers for construction jobs.
http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_2255778...
Judging by your posts, you folks are really ignorant, "mking" it harder to hire YOU !!

Of course, MOST jobs want workers to stay longer, than 2 hours and 15 minutes.... unfortunately !! LMAOROTFU~!
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 11, 2013
It's also a little know fact that this 'program' adds 30 million dollars to the cost of the stadium, which wasn't included in the initial cost figures, even though it's always been part of Google Eyes plan.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#5 Feb 11, 2013
Judging by your posts, you folks are really ignorant, "mking" it harder to hire YOU !!

Of course, MOST jobs want workers to stay longer, than 2 hours and 15 minutes.... unfortunately !! LMAOROTFU~!

So, why do you hate minorities, Trashyliar, did the outwork you at your 1/4 day "job" ?
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 11, 2013
Miss Piggy wrote:
It's also a little know fact that this 'program' adds 30 million dollars to the cost of the stadium, which wasn't included in the initial cost figures, even though it's always been part of Google Eyes plan.
I think it is OK for Dayton to add 30 million dollars to the cost of the project, as long as he pays for it out of his own pocket. Otherwise, any spending additions should have to be balanced by cuts to the general fund.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#7 Feb 11, 2013
You don't think and have no business talking about Dayton's money.... Get your hand outta our pocket, hypocrite.
Seattle Slew have at it

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 11, 2013
There aren't that many "Diverse" people alive that WANT to work to build that stadium.
Awful Truth

Grantsburg, WI

#9 Feb 11, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
Judging by your posts, you folks are really ignorant, "mking" it harder to hire YOU !!
Of course, MOST jobs want workers to stay longer, than 2 hours and 15 minutes.... unfortunately !! LMAOROTFU~!
So, why do you hate minorities, Trashyliar, did the outwork you at your 1/4 day "job" ?
Disturbing and Perverted Sexualizations of other Posters Names.

"Trashy"....Not clean and pure like our Sociopath Slewsie prefers her "Little BOI's"

"Cantgetitup".... Our Resident "Little BOI Bender" can always "get it up" for the right Little BOI!

"Teabagger"..... Uncle Daddy created Our Resident Sexual Sociopath with his "Bagging". DAMN Slewsies Mommy and her Brother, Slewsie's Momma!

Pray for those Little BOI's that were cursed to have been around Slewsie's "Honey Trap"!

(Whatever the fauch a "Honey Trap" is to a Deviant like Slewsie!)

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#10 Feb 11, 2013
Miss Piggy wrote:
It's also a little know fact that this 'program' adds 30 million dollars to the cost of the stadium, which wasn't included in the initial cost figures, even though it's always been part of Google Eyes plan.
Heavens forbid that people should be hired based on their qualifications.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#11 Feb 11, 2013
I heard all workers must be UNION as well, does anyone know anything on that. Isn't that unconstitutional?
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#12 Feb 11, 2013
What about the slants. Will the be handling the nitro like back in the railroad days? I say give that job to the Knee Grows.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#13 Feb 11, 2013
DSM Local wrote:
I heard all workers must be UNION as well, does anyone know anything on that. Isn't that unconstitutional?
I beieve the way the contract is written is that all workers are to be paid union scale for the job classification. In essence, that makes it a total union project.

As for being unconstitutional, I don't think so. It is simply a contract for specific wages in order to get public funding. This is done quite often with government projects. Heaven forbid that we provide an agreement to pay market rates rather than union rates.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#14 Feb 11, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
Interesting article. "A shortage of skilled workers..."
Why would being a woman or minority mean that you are not skilled? Could it be that the Obama generation of moochers is not prepared to work?
----------
Vikings stadium: Skilled worker shortage may make diversity goals tough to meet
Associated Press
Posted: 02/09/2013 12:01:00 AM CST
Updated: 02/09/2013 10:29:15 PM CST
Officials working on the new Minnesota Vikings stadium said it might be difficult to meet certain employee-diversity goals.
The stadium legislation signed by Gov. Mark Dayton this spring included goals from the state Legislature to have minority workers make up nearly a third of the labor force and for women to be 6 percent of the workforce.
Minnesota Public Radio reported that the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority adopted the plan Friday.
Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen said a shortage of skilled workers in Minnesota will make it difficult to comply. But she said stadium officials will do their best to meet the goals without importing workers or companies, since the ultimate goal is to increase Minnesota jobs.
Stadium officials are encouraging training programs to prepare more workers for construction jobs.
http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_2255778...
The problem is that the Twin Cities minority hiring requirements, for city contractors, are higher than the minority population. As skilled workers shortages are already a problem, this compounds the issue.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#15 Feb 11, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
I beieve the way the contract is written is that all workers are to be paid union scale for the job classification. In essence, that makes it a total union project.
As for being unconstitutional, I don't think so. It is simply a contract for specific wages in order to get public funding. This is done quite often with government projects. Heaven forbid that we provide an agreement to pay market rates rather than union rates.
Thanks for the info.

Still seems wrong to me
Seattle Slew have at it

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 11, 2013
Seems the contract WILL NOT be awarded to the BEST contractor based on quality of work OR best price.

So the stadium WILL BE more expensive that it needs to be AND of LOWER QUALITY than it could be IF the price was kept as low as possible.

Based on the fact that IF the price was kept lower the saved money could be invested in higher quality amenities.

Typical Government hunk of junk, like the HHH Metrodome.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 11, 2013
CRASSUS wrote:
Does Redeemer know about these job opportunities? That boy can scrub a mean toilet.
the only way that I would work for the vikings is that offer me a
mult million dollar contract as the first string starting quarterback and your mama as the team mascot!
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#18 Feb 11, 2013
Seattle Slew have at it wrote:
Seems the contract WILL NOT be awarded to the BEST contractor based on quality of work OR best price.
So the stadium WILL BE more expensive that it needs to be AND of LOWER QUALITY than it could be IF the price was kept as low as possible.
Based on the fact that IF the price was kept lower the saved money could be invested in higher quality amenities.
Typical Government hunk of junk, like the HHH Metrodome.
It's all about making a politcal point

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#19 Feb 11, 2013
Based on the fact that Most, if not all large Minnesota General Contractors are union, going with non union would almost assuredly grant the job to an out of state GC. Think BE&K out of Alabama doing work in International Falls because Boise didn't want to pay union wage.
When people clamor for the 'lowest bid' a lot of times you get what you pay for, meaning sub standard work.
The diversity rate agreed to by Googly Eyes will cost much more, and more than likely lower the quality of the project so these 'new' workers can learn on the job. I have no problem with union construction workers, but filling in with 'rookie' workers just to meet a quota will cost a bunch.
Thank you Gov. Googly Eyes for looking after our tax dollars.......puke........
Awful Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Feb 11, 2013
You racist Republicans ENSURE a democratic victory in 2014. Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Faribault Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Merry Christmas to all... 4 hr cantmakeitup 1
Mall of America Protest 4 hr cantmakeitup 31
The New York City Mayor 15 hr Bobert Ne Nero 7
2 cops dead THANKS LIBERALS! 15 hr CNN Reporter 21
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... 17 hr American_Sons 17
Benghazi-Gate OBAMA not allowing access to surv... (Mar '13) 20 hr LIbEralS 330
The Army's findings on Bergdahl NOT to be relea... 20 hr Icantbreathe 17
Faribault Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Faribault People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Faribault News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Faribault

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:34 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:34PM
Rodgers plays Santa for Packers offensive line - NBC Sports
ESPN 2:52 PM
Aaron Claus: QB buys Packers linemen TVs
NBC Sports 3:09 PM
Lions head to house of horrors in Green Bay - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:16 PM
Breaking Down Lions Game Plan vs. Packers
Bleacher Report10:09 PM
Bears vs. Vikings: Breaking Down Minnesota's Game Plan