Stillwater / Heart disease cited in r...

Stillwater / Heart disease cited in retailer's death

There are 117 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 2, 2010, titled Stillwater / Heart disease cited in retailer's death. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

While the politicians in the Beltway and the boob-tube pundits tussle this week over the proposed DREAM Act and the fate of undocumented children, I pause to share a tale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#108 Dec 4, 2010
Second Generation Citizen wrote:
My grandparents emigrated from Canada to the USA (they were originally from the Ukraine & Poland) two weeks before the U.S. immigration laws changed and would have stopped them from coming to America. Those who cry foul when an honest, hard-working family illegally enters our country to better their lives need to ask themselves:(1) Are they Native American? If not, their people were illegal immigrants, too. Just ask the Indians.(2) Do they welcome illegal immigrants when farmers need farm workers, restaurants need busboys, hotels need maids, nursing homes need care-givers, businesses need engineers, etc.?(3) Do they judge others on their merits (honesty, integrity, work ethic) instead of stereotypes?(4) Do they know how dangerous these countries of origin have become thanks, in large part, to our policies and wars?(5) Do they know we are a nation of immigrants and that is why America is called "the great melting pot?" (6)(7) Do they understand that immigrants enrich our cultural heritage?(8) Do they have any compassion in their hearts? I support anyone who comes to this country with a desire to create a better life for himself and his family. Those who wish to commit crimes, whether they're illegal immigrants or U.S. citizens, are the true danger to our society. I don't care if they commit their crimes using a gun or a fountain pen. They are the true rot within our country. Leave the good people of all ethnicities, backgrounds and citizen status alone. It's the right thing to do and who knows? One of these illegal immigrants just might find the cure for cancer.
P.S. A similar post I wrote disappeared. Please forgive me for being redundant if it mysteriously reappears.
You too have a very good heart. However, the person who goes by the name AMERICAN said it best in comment #99 above:

A country with no borders and no laws...is no longer a country.....

Bottom line: If the US is to survive, we need to shut down the borders. The only entries to this country are to be legal ones.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#109 Dec 4, 2010
AENEID wrote:
<quoted text>wrong there this time ,must of emigrants can be good citizens that see America as a fair country like yourself that pay taxes and respect the Law ,same as me here in Eire
So, if I deicde that I can live better in Ireland, the Old Sod will allow me in, give me a home for free, pay all my medical bills, give me money for food, and not deport me if I break the laws of the land?

I don't think so.
Carl

Minneapolis, MN

#110 Dec 4, 2010
Second Generation Citizen-
Your statements have been answered above ad nauseum. Did you even bother to read the posts?

1) Indians are immigrants too. My ancestors violated no law coming to this country.
2) No, come back legally.
3) Yes, violating immigration, welfare and ID fraud are behaviors.
4) Yes, stay home and fix those problems.
5) Yes, legal immigrants can stay. BTW The melting pot was replaced by a salad bowl 20 years ago. Check your PC handbook
6) 7) Legal immigrants, yes.
8) Yes, for the legal US resident burdened by a permanent economic underclass that can't be bothered to work, a slew of undocumented workers driving down wages and a ceaseless chorus of ignoramuses all too quick to spend someone elses meager wages to ease their shortsighted conscience.
Carl

Saint Paul, MN

#111 Dec 4, 2010
I believe in the American dream, but is this an "unAmerican dream?" I don't resent Tomas, but think he shouldn't have to be so grown up and should have his parents guidance AND SUPPORT. I don't know why are laws don't seem to matter, do we not believe them? I want this kid to have a shot, but I also want American kids to have a shot and I grew up really poor born here and my parents never got assistance and I know what it's like to be hungry and cold in St Paul. I support my own kids, put myself through college, which I still owe for, have never been on assistance of any kind and have two jobs, a spouse with a good job and crap for benefits. We feel strained and can't afford the benefits we pay for all these others to have. I have a health condition and can't get decent care, get burned at the stake to pay for what little care I do get and I just don't know how I can keep forking out for all the others in taxes, forking out to these overpriced doctors who don't care and don't help. Living with pathetic benefits and a health condition really sucks and I don't understand why the poor get all the care paid for and the middle class can't even get a fair rate. I hear your cry Ruben, but I don't think you understand the resentment that builds when you feel like others aren't trying to contribute, aren't like Tomas and are wrecking your community and you pay the bill. It's about time we figured out how to enforce our laws and that probably needs to include immigration laws. Isn't the law the law? It's a slippery slope don't you think?
Carl

Saint Paul, MN

#112 Dec 4, 2010
Unfortunately, as many Tomas as are out there, there seem even more illegal youths, or even legals not making the contribution we want people to make here: to work as hard as they can to support themselves, their families, provide for themselves and offer their gifts in contribution to a better society. It's hard to judge everyone by the same yardstick. Rosario gets pieces of it, but lacks an understanding for the growing resentment or fatigue of the working class that can't afford to pay for those not trying to pay for themselves. I'm very sick sometimes, can't afford good care, get overcharged when I get limited care, have two jobs, a spouse with a good job with little benefits. I just don't know how many more people I can pay to get benefits for that I can't have access to myself. I'm not sure why people don't have much regard for the law, even enforcement. We really don't have room for everyone and I don't mean Tomas, but he shouldn't be so grown-up and he should have family around. He should have a shot- wherever he gets it, but so should lots of American kids losing it to those who don't want to contribute, but just want to take from a system that's strained and can't keep giving. I'd like the healthcare I'm paying for these others to have. It's because of bad medicine my life changed and doctors like to be paid well for being unresponsive.
FilmAtTen

AOL

#113 Dec 5, 2010
kpo wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to be a junior high school student living in this town. So you could say i know quite a bit of high school students; some with enough money for a higher education, and others with not so much. Of the people i know with children who are in need of financial assistance just like Tomas.. are very hard working at school. Tomas on the other hand, knew he didn't have much of a chance in succeeding to go to college because of his legal status, but still tried his very hardest at school. Got good grades etc. That is why someone like him deserves the help he has received. Tell me this; do you think someone who doesn't try hard enough in school, doesn't have much money, but wants to go to college; deserves all the help?
You need education, as is real clear in your posting. Learn the true meaning of words and laws concerning "illegal", and what "illegal" means.
If anything, you should be REALLY upset at the kids parents, who now have the poor guy "holding the bag" so to speak.

You have a lot to learn. Start comprehending for the next few years, and grow up. You might want to look into an ecconomics course later, or maybe a simple money management course...so you understand the complete financial picture the U.S.[and Minnesota] taxpayer is getting tired of footing!

Good luck in your studies.
FilmAtTen

AOL

#114 Dec 5, 2010
Carl wrote:
Unfortunately, as many Tomas as are out there, there seem even more illegal youths, or even legals not making the contribution we want people to make here: to work as hard as they can to support themselves, their families, provide for themselves and offer their gifts in contribution to a better society. It's hard to judge everyone by the same yardstick. Rosario gets pieces of it, but lacks an understanding for the growing resentment or fatigue of the working class that can't afford to pay for those not trying to pay for themselves. I'm very sick sometimes, can't afford good care, get overcharged when I get limited care, have two jobs, a spouse with a good job with little benefits. I just don't know how many more people I can pay to get benefits for that I can't have access to myself. I'm not sure why people don't have much regard for the law, even enforcement. We really don't have room for everyone and I don't mean Tomas, but he shouldn't be so grown-up and he should have family around. He should have a shot- wherever he gets it, but so should lots of American kids losing it to those who don't want to contribute, but just want to take from a system that's strained and can't keep giving. I'd like the healthcare I'm paying for these others to have. It's because of bad medicine my life changed and doctors like to be paid well for being unresponsive.
KPO needs to read what you wrote, even though it`s way over their head.
Norski

Selbyville, DE

#115 Dec 5, 2010
With 3 unemployed Americans for every working Illegal Immigrant, where is the unhappy story about the person who is not working now that another Illegal Immigrant has a job? Telling only one side of the story and ignoring the other amounts to propaganda. Illegal Immigration is a loose-loose scenario. Either the Illegal Immigrant works and the American Citizen looses or the working Illegal Immigrant is deported and looses so that American Citizen does not loose and has a chance to work. Forgetting the American Worker and glorifying the working Illegal Immigrant is simply yellow journalism.

Oh, and by the way, employing someone who is in the USA illegally is against the law. Should not the State of Minnesota be investigating this employer for engaging in Illegal Hiring Practices? How does the Author of this article know that the employer was not paying an exploitive low wage? How does the Author know that the employer was not practicing tax evasion by swapping work for the payment of college fees? For all that appears in this article there is no way of knowing whether this is an example of mentoring or an example of exploitation of someone who cannot do anything else because they are stuck with this relationship. The true question that begs to be asked here is whether the Illegal Immigrant would have continued the employee/employer relationship if he had not been illegally residing in the USA.
kpo

Faribault, MN

#116 Dec 5, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Kid,
You have a very good heart. That said...Come back and have a conversation with me in 30 years after the starry eyed look is gone and you have a taste for the real world.
Oh i've had a taste of the real world. trust me. I happen to be hispanic, and let me tell you. It's not easy dealing with all kinds of people telling you to get out; even though i'm not illegal. I was born here in the US and have as many right as any of you do. The way some people judge the illegals is kind of just like judging me simply because i'm a hispanic. Everyone who says hispanics take advantage of the system, do all kinds of bad etc. are wrong. As i said before i'm a junior in high school, hispanish, on NHS, involved in many good things; I'd consider myself a good person. And if people would just give some of the illegal teens a chance; they'd notice how good they can be too. I have to admit, not all of them are good, but a lot of them are once you look past the illegal in them.
thissucks

Burnsville, MN

#117 Dec 6, 2010
kpo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh i've had a taste of the real world. trust me. I happen to be hispanic, and let me tell you. It's not easy dealing with all kinds of people telling you to get out; even though i'm not illegal. I was born here in the US and have as many right as any of you do. The way some people judge the illegals is kind of just like judging me simply because i'm a hispanic. Everyone who says hispanics take advantage of the system, do all kinds of bad etc. are wrong. As i said before i'm a junior in high school, hispanish, on NHS, involved in many good things; I'd consider myself a good person. And if people would just give some of the illegal teens a chance; they'd notice how good they can be too. I have to admit, not all of them are good, but a lot of them are once you look past the illegal in them.
I applaud your efforts at being a fine upstanding young person. However, you're missing the point, that being that illegal is illegal. A "good person" doesn't violate the law. They want to be here, live here and work here; and yet they scoff at our laws, by sneaking across the border like thieves in the night. Which is what they are by the way. Every time one of these "good people," uses a hospital ER as a primary care provider, he's stealing. When they find ways to fraudulently obtain identities, collect welfare, and any other services of our government; it's stealing. They're robbing the taxpayers of this country.

Put it this way. You're sitting at home, suddenly a perfect stranger walks in the door, goes to the refrigerator, makes a sandwich, sits on the sofa and changes the TV channel you're watching. Do you ask him if he's a "good person?" I doubt it, you'd tell him to GET OUT! That's just what this is all about.
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

#118 Dec 6, 2010
Makes me wonder how many "horror" stories regarding illegal immigration and it's effects on our society there are relative to the "feel good" stories.

Rueben, why don't ya write some factual stories about illegal immigrants where they've killed somebody while driving under the influence, or prostituted 12 year olds, or bolstering the neighborhood illegal drug traffic, or entering our country with terrorism in mind, or came here for the free medical, free food, free housing? Write a story about how it would never have happened if our immigration laws were enforced, and we did not have self-righteous liberal bleeding hearts like you telling us the error of our ways because we want the laws enforced.

Those examples of the negative results of illegal immigration would make for a more accurate picture of what's really happening. They would also be much easier to find than your "needle in the haystack" Tomas story.

Try the Google searh engine - type in "Illegal Immigration". Open your eyes. See what it's doing to our country.

Try looking at this from a U.S. citizen's perspective instead of your self inflicted shallow minority perspective.
CryMeA River

AOL

#119 Dec 6, 2010
kpo wrote:
<quoted text>
Call up the Rube, and tell him your story. At your young age, you are well on the way to being a certified bleeding heart liberal. Rube likes that sort of hard core challange. LOL

Key word dear.... "ILLEGAL"!
Time to go back to class and learn reality, and the meaning of the word "ILLEGAL".
JiminSavage

Saint Paul, MN

#120 Dec 8, 2010
Support legal immigration - these people have respected our laws and our country.
Reject illegal immigration - these people have disrespected our laws and our country.
No amnesty for those who have broken our laws. They do not care about anything but themselves.
Laughing

AOL

#121 Dec 8, 2010
Excuse me, but I have to take a Kpo, got any toilet paper?
idea

Duluth, MN

#122 Dec 11, 2010
Tomas is an illegal immigrant, do the right thing Rosario and report him
compassionate

Minneapolis, MN

#123 Dec 11, 2010
It was a simple fix wrote:
If you are here legally Welcome.
If not, get out and stay out until you can do it legally. No special favors and it doesn't matter what age you were when you got here. NO OTHER COUNTRY in the world allows that to happen and they don't include anchor babies.
Again if you are here legally Welcome, If you are not get the heck out and stay out.
Tomas did not choose to come here; he didn't break the law. The USA is now his home, and to tell him to "get out" of a place he calls home is heartless. The first European settlers were undocumented as well.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#124 Dec 12, 2010
compassionate wrote:
<quoted text>
Tomas did not choose to come here; he didn't break the law. The USA is now his home, and to tell him to "get out" of a place he calls home is heartless. The first European settlers were undocumented as well.
Whether the young man chose to come here is not the issue. There is one word that is the issue: illegal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Faribault Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 3 min Into The Night 38,397
New job 3 hr Davycrockett 15
How much more can trump be? 4 hr Davycrockett 2
The somali quit 4 hr Space ace 1
CNN communist moa tsetung townhall propaganda 4 hr Space ace 9
Ellen Pompeo challenged Fox News host Laura Ing... 7 hr TAAM 28
Awicks From Shriners Hospital Commercial 15 hr Space ace 1

Faribault Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Faribault Mortgages