Wind turbine opponents regroup with online effort
Regrouping after a legal setback last week, they met Monday night to discuss what happens next.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthCoastToday.com.
#1 Dec 6, 2011
Fairhaven Monday December 5 ,2011
ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, WeatherHome
Wind turbines strike heated debate in Fairhaven
Posted:('Monday, December 5, 2011 11:23 PM
There was outrage from dozens of Fairhaven residents Monday at a health board meeting over two turbines set to go up in town.
The residents said they feel helpless at this point. They already lost a court battle to stop the turbines, and now the town has started clearing land for the project. Plus, when they try to get answers from town leaders, they said this is what happens.
"Thank you. Please submit all your stuff in writing for us, we will review it," said the board chairman Monday, "You gotta submit all your stuff first."
That's what about fifty concerned citizens heard from the health board after one after the other voiced their worries about wind turbines.
"We have a right to be here," shouted one of them, "We have a right to be heard. You cannot silence us."
"I would just like an opportunity to say I had no idea these were going up," said another resident, "I was never informed by the town."
Many of them are angry they couldn't get on the agenda Monday night. Donna McKenna said she was put on it three weeks ago but was taken off. She's not sure why.
"I showed up tonight and they denied me to speak," McKenna said, "We did have some people here from Falmouth to tell us about their experiences with the wind turbines."
And McKenna said that's her worry. Those experiences weren't good.
"After about a month and a half, I was in a depression, and for me it creates anxiety, stress," said Barry Funfar whose dealt with the turbines first hand in Falmouth. He lives near one, so he spoke to the Fairhaven group about how the shadows and dull noises affect his life.
"To me it's like torture, and I feel a quivering in my chest," said Funfar, "I call it my anxiety center now."
And to a lot of these folks the idea of that is scary. That's why 170 of them have signed a petition and made signs.
"They are too close to their homes and they were not notified," said McKenna, "Some of them were not notified four years ago when they were going to originally put them in."
We did try to talk to the health board. They said they won't comment without more information. Construction began last month for the 260 foot structures.
#2 Dec 6, 2011
Check out the video
#3 Dec 6, 2011
Wind turbine opponents regroup with online effort
Text Size: A | A | A
Print this Article Email this Article ShareThis
var isoPubDate ='December 06, 2011'By Brian Boyd
December 06, 2011 12:00 AM
FAIRHAVEN — Opponents of the town's plan to build two wind turbines are making their case online.
Regrouping after a legal setback last week, they met Monday night to discuss what happens next. They watched a video produced by two Fairhaven residents, who planned to post their work on YouTube, and heard from Falmouth resident Barry Funfar, who lives 1,662 feet from a turbine that was shut down last month in response to opposition from him and others.
"I would fight this thing tooth and nail," Funfar told about 40 people gathered at the Northeast Maritime Institute. "It's a lot easier to stop it before it goes up."
About 10 Fairhaven residents tried to halt construction last week but a Taunton Superior Court judge denied both a temporary restraining order and a request to revive a 2008 lawsuit against the project.
The turbines with the blade in a vertical position would be about 390 feet high, according to a 2005 Massachusetts Technology Collaborative feasibility study for the project.
Fairhaven resident John Methia presented a 17-minute video called "Too Close" that he produced with Peter Goben. They interviewed residents in Hull and Falmouth who said their health and quality of life were harmed by wind turbines. Methia said there will be a link to the video on the opposition's website, windwise.org .
The video included Funfar, who likened his experience to being on a plane and having pressure build up in his ears with no popping.
Local opposition to the project was rekindled last month when the town began making preparations for construction, including clearing trees at the Arsene Street site. Some residents had believed the project was defunct and complained that the town should have notified them that it was in fact moving forward.
For their part, Fairhaven officials said they took all necessary legal steps, including obtaining the required building permit and Conservation Commission approval.
Goben said in an interview the opposition was organized in 2008 but has to ramp up again after learning the project was still alive. He said it will be sending petitions to local and state officials and raising money for legal expenses. Methia said opponents would continuously update the video, which will help them get their message out to the public.
Add your comments below
|John Blanding/Globe Staff Putting Tubman on the...||Apr 22||Currency Exchanged||1|
|Does anyone know what happen to River Colt. (Nov '11)||Apr 16||Jcasey87||9|
|Falmouth Wind Turbine Infrasound 2016||Apr 8||Paul Ventura||1|
|Change of venue sought in rape case||Apr 1||Nantucketgirl||1|
|Matt Patrick for State Representative Again ?||Mar '16||Bob Delong||1|
|Falmouth Faked EPA Waiver -Wind Turbine Documents||Mar '16||Bob Delong||1|
|falmouth wind turbines a noise described as tor...||Feb '16||Paul Ventura||1|
Find what you want!
Search Falmouth Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC